Author Topic: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay  (Read 99533 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay
« Reply #1050 on: October 07, 2017, 01:51:59 am »
@Fishrrman

Apparently the cameras inside weren't recording.  They were live streaming.
I guess the question that may be really interesting is one of where that streaming video went. That might answer a boatload of questions, and there remains the one of if it was recorded anywhere.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #1051 on: October 07, 2017, 02:05:12 am »
The second broken out window may have given him view to a different target. Approaching police, etc. He apparently shot the jet fuel tanks a fair ways behind the venue so he had more targets in mind beyond just the music festival crowd alone.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1052 on: October 07, 2017, 02:10:24 am »
@Fishrrman

Apparently the cameras inside weren't recording.  They were live streaming.

There is an internal cache in the cam to buffer the livestream...
And any (major) site that might receive it will have it cached too.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #1053 on: October 07, 2017, 02:11:21 am »
The second broken out window may have given him view to a different target. Approaching police, etc. He apparently shot the jet fuel tanks a fair ways behind the venue so he had more targets in mind beyond just the music festival crowd alone.

@DB

My guess is the fuel tanks weren't a target.  It was simply barrel climb that resulted in those.  He simply couldn't control the weapon.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:13:11 am by driftdiver »
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online DB

« Reply #1054 on: October 07, 2017, 02:15:50 am »
@DB

My guess is the fuel tanks weren't a target.  It was simply barrel climb that resulted in those.  He simply couldn't control the weapon.

That's certainly possible. I suppose it is also possible those bullets came from somewhere else... They may not have noticed the holes until they started looking...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:16:23 am by DB »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1055 on: October 07, 2017, 02:18:13 am »
@DB

If he meant to, I think it'd be tracers. a regular round wouldn't set em off. Heck, a tracer might not.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1056 on: October 07, 2017, 02:32:02 am »
If he meant to, I think it'd be tracers. a regular round wouldn't set em off. Heck, a tracer might not.

I think you would have to have enough of a combustible mix to set off a tank of any kind of fuel. Same way your car engine works. Air and fuel mixture. So maybe a tracer could set off a partially filled tank, but not a full one.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #1057 on: October 07, 2017, 02:41:27 am »
@DB

That was my thought. I am sure he was spraying bullets everywhere if he was using bump stocks (very difficult to aim). The airport is just across the road from the concert venue and I'm sure took many stray rounds. Plus, I doubt a .223 would have the remaining energy to puncture a fuel tank from that distance (albeit who knows if he was aware of this).

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1058 on: October 07, 2017, 02:42:55 am »
Paddock was trying to get tracers... I guess he did obtain them.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas-shooter-stephen-paddock-165009332.html
http://wishtv.com/2017/10/06/las-vegas-shooter-bought-1000-tracer-bullets/

"Paddock bought the .308-caliber and .223-caliber tracer ammunition from a private buyer he met at a Phoenix gun show last month, a law enforcement official not authorized to comment on the investigation said on condition of anonymity.

Tracer rounds illuminate their path so a gunman can home in on targets at night. But they can also give away the shooter’s position."

I dont think he used them.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1059 on: October 07, 2017, 02:43:15 am »
Plus, I doubt a .223 would have the remaining energy to puncture a fuel tank from that distance (albeit who knows if he was aware of this).

He had 7.62 also...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #1060 on: October 07, 2017, 02:45:45 am »
He had 7.62 also...

That would do it.

I had some steel 'plinking' targets made for a .22. Probably 1/2 inch thick. I decided to fire a few with an AK (7.62x39), went right through like it was cardboard.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1061 on: October 07, 2017, 02:50:51 am »
That would do it.

I had some steel 'plinking' targets made for a .22. Probably 1/2 inch thick. I decided to fire a few with an AK (7.62x39), went right through like it was cardboard.

I like 300WinMag for 'reach out and touch someone'...
up from a 7mm mag, which got out there, but ran out of poo.
but I could drive tacks with that rifle.
still trying to get the 300Win settled in.
but still on a Rem700 frame.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1062 on: October 07, 2017, 02:51:22 am »
Paddock was trying to get tracers... I guess he did obtain them.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/las-vegas-shooter-stephen-paddock-165009332.html
http://wishtv.com/2017/10/06/las-vegas-shooter-bought-1000-tracer-bullets/

"Paddock bought the .308-caliber and .223-caliber tracer ammunition from a private buyer he met at a Phoenix gun show last month, a law enforcement official not authorized to comment on the investigation said on condition of anonymity.

Tracer rounds illuminate their path so a gunman can home in on targets at night. But they can also give away the shooter’s position."

I dont think he used them.

Gotta love that kind of not a comment comment.

Bad Info Follows Every Tragedy. Don't Fall For It

https://www.wired.com/story/las-vegas-shooting-misinformation-hoaxes-conspiracies/

In that spirit, it’s handy to live by Poynter’s rules for breaking news. Be wary of anonymous sources, language like “seeking confirmation,” and wild speculation. If you see an image that looks implausible, or downright impossible, run it through reverse image search (which is to say, just click and drag it over to Google, which will show you where else the photo has appeared).

To that, add one more: Slow down. Listen to what law enforcement has confirmed, not what Twitter has speculated. Trust circumspection ahead of volume. The internet’s great promise is to provide you with as much information as you could ever possibly want. Its great danger is that most of it is junk

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1063 on: October 07, 2017, 03:17:36 am »
@DB

My guess as well. had they been the targets, he would not have expended so much ammo on the crowd, and would have left more holes in the tanks.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #1064 on: October 07, 2017, 03:34:28 am »
I wonder if the tanks are lighted up at night. If they aren't it may have been difficult to even see them to try to target.

Online DB

« Reply #1065 on: October 07, 2017, 04:54:28 am »
This report says that they've determined he was the only attacker. They don't know if others were aware of his plans or not. That they have a lot of video evidence from the hotel on who went in and out. This report also changes the previous stories (the fire alarm to door ajar) on how the security guard got shot in the leg and what led the guard to the room in the first place. It also address his car and the card key access to his room timing in earlier reports.

@Smokin Joe @Emjay @roamer_1 @driftdiver

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-vegas-shootings-20171006-story.html
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:46:31 am by DB »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1066 on: October 07, 2017, 11:44:57 am »
@DB

But you know someone will claim this LA Times report is false. Alex Jones knows for sure the entire shooting was a false flag operation with multiple shooters, and old Alex is always right.

:thud:

Online DB

« Reply #1067 on: October 07, 2017, 11:47:40 am »
@DB

But you know someone will claim this LA Times report is false. Alex Jones knows for sure the entire shooting was a false flag operation with multiple shooters, and old Alex is always right.

:thud:

Yep.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1068 on: October 07, 2017, 01:06:21 pm »
This report says that they've determined he was the only attacker. They don't know if others were aware of his plans or not. That they have a lot of video evidence from the hotel on who went in and out. This report also changes the previous stories (the fire alarm to door ajar) on how the security guard got shot in the leg and what led the guard to the room in the first place. It also address his car and the card key access to his room timing in earlier reports.

@Smokin Joe @Emjay @roamer_1 @driftdiver

Good article, thanks for sharing
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1069 on: October 07, 2017, 01:27:53 pm »

Thanks @DB

Sec guard - whoa! 200 rounds and all he got was one in the leg?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #1070 on: October 07, 2017, 01:51:11 pm »

Sec guard - whoa! 200 rounds and all he got was one in the leg?

Makes sense, given his name.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1071 on: October 07, 2017, 03:10:29 pm »
Do gun-rights advocates think one should be able to buy 33 weapons of this caliber in one year? 

Offline thackney

« Reply #1072 on: October 07, 2017, 03:16:14 pm »
Do gun-rights advocates think one should be able to buy 33 weapons of this caliber in one year?

What is the limit that does not infringe?

Do you think he needed 30 or 20 or even 10 to do the damage he did?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:17:29 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1073 on: October 07, 2017, 03:22:41 pm »

"Should be able to"?  Yes, if you want to and can afford to do so.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #1074 on: October 07, 2017, 03:22:44 pm »
Just as an aside.   We shop in a fairly large three sided two story mall.   One day we witnessed an auto crash into another auto.   We heard the sounds of the crash coming from the opposite side of the crash.
Sound travels and reverberates across quite a distance.   If we hadn't been at the site of the crash we would have sworn the crash was on the opposite side of the mall.