Author Topic: McConnell, GOP Senate brace for Roy Moore  (Read 23224 times)

Offline corbe

Re: McConnell, GOP Senate brace for Roy Moore
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2017, 07:04:39 pm »
Congressional Conservatives tend to hold their obstructionism as a badge of principle and courage.  They seem to forget they've left the pulpit and are now responsible for governing.

I would like conservatives to climb down from their "all or nothing" soapbox @Sanguine   But I envision Moore, champion of the 10 Commandments and heterosexuals everywhere,  adding a penthouse to his soapbox  ... the louder the applause, the higher the penthouse.  (Convince me I'm wrong)

Sometimes a partial victory IS a good thing.  And I just don't know how to convince you of this.  But gratefully, I am at least in very good company---because not even Ronald Reagan could convince today's conservatives that 80/20 --with 80 being what we get-- is a damn good victory.

I agree with @INVAR @Right_in_Virginia your percentages are bass backwards, the obummer repeal proved this, you Trumpers were expecting us to take 20% and be happy about it so your guy could get a WIN, any WIN.
   Even Reagan wouldn't have approved of the new Trump math, in spite of your modern day comparisons, which IMHO are just farts in the wind.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

RAT Patrol

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2017, 07:04:55 pm »
Pumpkin, you don't rule the world, you live in it.  If conservative elected officials can't learn how to compromise and govern, then maybe they should find another line of work.  They're becoming more and more obstinate and less and less a solution.

Turkey (assuming we are addressing each other by Thanksgiving dinner titles)....you don't rule the world either.  To the victor go the spoils.  Roy Moore will represent ALABAMA.  His obligations are to God, to the Constitution, and to the people of Alabama.  He owes NOTHING to McConnell and the DC Swamp -- GOP or otherwise.  McConnell is not king of the Senate.  He represents one state and its people.  As leader, he is to make sure the process is legal and fair.  He is not the mob boss who gets to order other Senators around about how they are to vote.

Anyway...gridlock is a gift in politics.  Frankly I would like to see more nothing getting done rather than the constant tax and spend garbage we get.  If we could undo everything Washington politicians have done over the past 10 years we would be better off.  Or longer.  Yes, longer.  Let's see, what was the national debt 10 years ago and what is it today?    That would also stop the endless fighting as though our lives depended on who serves the next 2, 4 or 6 year term.  With judges it's a lifetime.  Message to federal politicians:  Keep us safe from foreign enemies.  Stop stealing from us to aggrandize yourselves.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:07:20 pm by RAT Patrol »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2017, 07:05:23 pm »
At what point can we expect conservatives to understand their 100% or nothing philosophy is helping no one?  At what point do conservative lawmakers read their job descriptions and actually help to move the ball in the right direction ---even if it is one step at a time ---by actively governing?  When do they realize they've got to have SOMETHING to show American voters for their time in Congress beyond the word "no"?

You cannot possibly be as stupid as you are illustrating yourself.

Your party already EMPLOYS your exact recipe of "governing" and has done so since 1988 with only a handful of Conservatives refusing to go along with the flow of compromise with Democrats.

Why is it your party stands aside when tyranny is passed in the middle of the night without a single representative reading the bill, and you lecture us about incremental rollbacks of tyranny? 

When has that idea ever been implemented and accomplished?

All your party has done is to move the ball to the Left of Lenin in this country - to thunderous applause at that, save the few who refuse to budge that you now BLAME for no progress being made to do what they promised to do.

So we're done doing it your way. 

We're no longer compromising on what you have already fundamentally discarded and traded away.  All your party's 'victories' will be hollow and empty as we have already seen - because they stand for nothing but the game.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2017, 07:10:42 pm »
Turkey (assuming we are addressing each other by Thanksgiving dinner titles)....you don't rule the world either.  To the victor go the spoils.  Roy Moore will represent ALABAMA.  His obligations are to God, to the Constitution, and to the people of Alabama.  He owes NOTHING to McConnell and the DC Swamp -- GOP or otherwise.  McConnell is not king of the Senate.  He represents one state and its people.  As leader, he is to make sure the process is legal and fair.  He is not the mob boss who gets to order other Senators around about how they are to vote.

What an ACTUAL 'outsider' looks like.

And you have been sorely missed.  :beer:

RAT Patrol

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2017, 07:11:24 pm »
What an ACTUAL 'outsider' looks like.

And you have been sorely missed.  :beer:

888high58888  Thanks.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »
This thread has had a lot of action.  I thought I was missing something good.

Nope, you all have fun!

:thud:
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:23 pm »
When all homosexuals are lumped together as "perverts", regardless of whether they troll bathhouses or live quietly and constructively with a loving, lifetime partner,  that's hate.

I evaluate folks on their merits as individuals.   I also believe - because I believe Christ tells me so - that the issue of eternal damnation is not a function of sexual orientation, but whether one has respected and honored his fellow man.   On that basis, I'll take my chances with the merciful Christ, not the Christ of your imagination who enables your "disgust" with good people.   
So, tell me, is the priest who ministers to the sick, feeds the homeless, counsels the heartbroken, and otherwise is a great guy (except for that thing about fondling choirboys) a pervert or not?

Perversion is dependent on perverse behaviour or belief, and not the rest of what a person does or believes.
A little leaven leaveneth the whole loaf.
That doesn't have to be public, in fact it can be very private, but it is no less perversion if it is private, just less obvious.

Saying someone who espouses or engages in perverted behaviour isn't hatred, it is honesty, and something which can be done without any emotion toward the practitioner at all, much less anything which reaches levels of animosity  (except in the most perverse distortion of the language) described as "hate".

If some people are determined to engage in such behaviour, they will find a way. However, we would be remiss to not call it what it is so others don't fall into the trap of thinking unnatural behaviour is natural, just because a small group of practitioners of that behaviour have been successful in bullying and badgering and propagandizing some of the population into either saying that behaviour is normal or staying silent.  If you believe in a fixed set of principles right and wrong are not determined by a vote, a poll, or consensus, they simply are.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2017, 07:19:47 pm »
Don't fool yourself that Trump voters are conservative.  They're not - they're populists and nationalists.   They align with conservatives on some issues, but not on others.   I doubt many Trump supporters have any problem, for example, with taxing the rich.

Count me as one who would like to see the IRS thrown into the dustbin of history and yet I know that it can only be accomplished incrementally over time.

So, anyway, I don’t support tax increases or targeting the wealthy, even though I support Trump completely.

Again, painting folks with broad strokes only serves to complicate discussions.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2017, 07:22:34 pm »
@Emjay

I've removed your comment. - Mach
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:15:21 pm by Machiavelli »
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2017, 07:24:24 pm »
Keep it up, INVAR - do you really believe you're showing Christianity's best face to the world?  Or its dogmatic, intolerant worst?

For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it never will. - Romans 8:7

If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. - John 15:19

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2017, 07:31:12 pm »
When all homosexuals are lumped together as "perverts", regardless of whether they troll bathhouses or live quietly and constructively with a loving, lifetime partner,  that's hate.

I evaluate folks on their merits as individuals.   I also believe - because I believe Christ tells me so - that the issue of eternal damnation is not a function of sexual orientation, but whether one has respected and honored his fellow man.   On that basis, I'll take my chances with the merciful Christ, not the Christ of your imagination who enables your "disgust" with good people.   

Well ummmm I hate to tell you this but you're listening to the wrong voice in your head.    The Word of God is pretty clear on this subject, respecting and honoring your fellow man is something a saved person will do, but it is not what makes you saved (aka saving from eternal damnation).

Only acceptance of Jesus as the Savior will do that.   Of course doing such brings with it the responsibility to follow his rules.  Thats where I think you might be in trouble, just a guess, not my place to judge.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2017, 07:35:25 pm »
Keep it up, INVAR - do you really believe you're showing Christianity's best face to the world?  Or its dogmatic, intolerant worst?
At least he isn't leading people astray telling them that The Almighty would be okay with a wide variety of things which He has clearly shown He is not.

How can you consider it "compassionate" to not speak out against things which will lead only to misery and damnation is beyond me.  If you are playing Devil's Advocate, I'd remind you who your client is.

The real world doesn't run on 'feelings', it is a set of fixed laws. If you are jumping a twenty foot wide chasm and make a fifteen foot jump, you are going to fall in. Feelings don't make any difference.

Our Creator has laid out what is expected of us, (which just happens to be what works best).
We ignore that at our peril.
While The Almighty forgives our sins through Christ, He expects us to at least make a serious effort to stop breaking His law, and not continue nor promote breaking His law as acceptable behaviour.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2017, 07:40:31 pm »
At least he isn't leading people astray telling them that The Almighty would be okay with a wide variety of things which He has clearly shown He is not.

How can you consider it "compassionate" to not speak out against things which will lead only to misery and damnation is beyond me.  If you are playing Devil's Advocate, I'd remind you who your client is.

The real world doesn't run on 'feelings', it is a set of fixed laws. If you are jumping a twenty foot wide chasm and make a fifteen foot jump, you are going to fall in. Feelings don't make any difference.

Our Creator has laid out what is expected of us, (which just happens to be what works best).
While The Almighty forgives our sins through Christ, He expects us to at least make a serious effort to stop breaking His law, and not continue nor promote breaking His law as acceptable behaviour.

Well said.

And serves to highlight the huge gap between the Word and the world's interpretation of the Word.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2017, 07:44:14 pm »

QFT
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2017, 07:56:10 pm »
Pumpkin, you don't rule the world, you live in it.  If conservative elected officials can't learn how to compromise and govern, then maybe they should find another line of work.  They're becoming more and more obstinate and less and less a solution.

Are the Templar Knights hiring?    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline CSM

« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:45 pm »
The man disrespects.......the Constitution's separation of church and state. 

Please show me where the USSC has a "separation of church and state."

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2017, 08:07:31 pm »

Cheezes, @Smokin Joe ....   All the virtue in the world doesn't guarantee success in the REAL world.   Among being known as a stand-up guy, it just makes one a sad footnote in forum history.   

It's good that @INVAR has a couple/few running to his defense.   Hurry...he may be around in the alley.  Look up! You may be able to hear him.  But hurry!   :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:43 pm »

:2popcorn:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:45 pm »
Cheezes, @Smokin Joe ....   All the virtue in the world doesn't guarantee success in the REAL world.   Among being known as a stand-up guy, it just makes one a sad footnote in forum history.   

That statement is entirely predicated upon one's definition of 'success'.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »

@CSM
Its right before the part that promises abortions.

Offline CSM

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2017, 08:18:06 pm »
@CSM
It might be in the "good and plenty clause."  I didn't realize we had transitioned to Pelosi's version.....

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2017, 08:18:09 pm »
That statement is entirely predicated upon one's definition of 'success'.

:beer:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2017, 08:19:10 pm »
@CSM

And right after the section that allows gay "marriage".

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2017, 08:27:07 pm »
And right after the section that allows gay "marriage".

"allows"?  You mean 'established' homosexual marriage as some kind of inalienable right that got created out of thin air when it never existed before in all of recorded human history until now.

As Driftdriver correctly noted, it exists right alongside the Article that establishes Abortion as a fundamental right.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2017, 08:48:30 pm »
Are the Templar Knights hiring?    :whistle:

I think so, but the pay's been pretty crappy since the Pope killed most of them off and looted their Treasury. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: