Author Topic: McConnell, GOP Senate brace for Roy Moore  (Read 23623 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: McConnell, GOP Senate brace for Roy Moore
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2017, 12:42:18 am »
   @RoosGirl   
   I get the impression @Right_in_Virginia is talking about Sen. Cruz the second most hated man in the US Senate, the first being her pride and joy~Trump.

Figure that out, did you @corbe

You still missed my point ... and deliberately so.

I'll leave you now that you finally have something to talk about.  As always, I'm happy to throw shiny objects into your dull, little world.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:43:23 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline corbe

« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2017, 12:46:26 am »

Yea I heard that, @RoosGirl but after Kenyan born obummer it just didn't seem to bother me so much and being the sinner that I am his 5~8 mistresses, I also overlooked that as just a simple man thinking with the wrong head, but when I discovered his Dad tried to kill JFK, that's where I drew the line and started drinking the 'color which shall not be named' Koolaid and hating Conservatives.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2017, 12:58:01 am »
I don't get why people here continue to argue with someone who clearly lacks the ability to read and interpret plain English.
Cause being silent to an error being made is in some corners seen as silent agreement.

This way the error is once again declared what it is:  An error.  Or I call it a lie.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2017, 01:00:06 am »
That's your opinion; like noses everybody's got 'em.  But the opinions of the Supreme Court are authoritative with respect to the question posed.   That's how things work in this Constitutional Republic.   No laws respecting an establishment of religion.  Separation of church and state.  Learn it. Live it. And don't bother me any more with your bullshit.
Not an opinion, but reading plain English.

Unlike you, which apparently cannot comprehend what English means.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2017, 01:03:27 am »
Your opinion is noted, and disregarded as meaningless.   The Supreme Court interprets and construes the laws.  Marbury vs. Madison.
That is rubbish as well.  Nowhere does the Constitution declare that the Supreme Court is the only entity that can read the text of the Constitution.

That is an assumed power not in the Constitution.

You are turning into a frothing creature of another world with the gibberish.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2017, 01:04:43 am »
I hope every TEA Party Conservative in the Senate gives him a standing ovation.

If they are Conservative they should.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2017, 01:05:19 am »
So now you're for judicial over reach...amazing how the other day you were against it.

Nice to see your situational ethics/beliefs on full display.
You just penned the attributes of a liberal, no principles, just agenda.

« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2017, 01:06:52 am »
The Court has the power and authority under our Constitutional Republic to construe and apply the text of the Constitution.   You can deny that reality, but why is your opinion worthy of respect?
I deny you can find that text within our Constitution that power and authority was given them.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2017, 01:11:46 am »

I'll leave you now that you finally have something to talk about.  As always, I'm happy to throw shiny objects into your dull, little world.
@corbe Careful, it's just more broken glass.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2017, 01:17:43 am »

I missed it too, dear. IIRC, Mitch McConnell is the alleged conservative who is supposed to be leading the charge to Conservative victory, after all, he a Republican, and we have been assured they are all going to repeal nasty things "root and branch" among other epic acts of Republic-an restoration.

Those guys wouldn't have lied, would they?  :whistle:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2017, 01:36:42 am »
Jazzy likes to preach the legal and moral supremacy of judicial precedent as the supreme law of the land, as if 9 justices in black robes were vicars of infallibility.

But back before all the laws were "interpreted"  to mean something very different than what they were originally intended to mean,  Liberals had no compunction about breaking them.   

I am reminded of the old Lawyer adage.   If the Facts are on your side,  Pound the Facts!   If the Law is on your side,  Pound the Law!   If neither the facts nor the law are on your side,  Pound the Table!   

People don't realize how badly Roosevelt and Truman warped the Federal Judiciary into something very different than it had always been before.   

They think these cockamamie "interpretations" of law,  are normal.   They don't know any better. 
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2017, 01:49:27 am »
Too bad. It was an epic rant... even though it was misplaced.
 :beer:

I really like that Jackson Quote.   He has a few good quotes.  I'm surprised he isn't quoted more often. 

“The bank, Mr. Van Buren, is trying to kill me. But I will kill it.”

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2017, 01:51:34 am »

I really like that Jackson Quote.   He has a few good quotes.  I'm surprised he isn't quoted more often. 

I'm very glad you're back posting here.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2017, 03:14:28 am »
I am reminded of the old Lawyer adage.   If the Facts are on your side,  Pound the Facts!   If the Law is on your side,  Pound the Law!   If neither the facts nor the law are on your side,  Pound the Table!   

Ahh, that translates into your basic 'If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with bullsh*t'...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2017, 03:15:18 am »

Yeah that's right...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2017, 03:16:07 am »
I'm very glad you're back posting here.

@DiogenesLamp
DITTOS!

:beer: :seeya:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2017, 06:11:18 am »
I missed it too, dear. IIRC, Mitch McConnell is the alleged conservative who is supposed to be leading the charge to Conservative victory, after all, he a Republican, and we have been assured they are all going to repeal nasty things "root and branch" among other epic acts of Republic-an restoration.

Darn tootin'.

I mean, except for "conservative", "leading", "charge", "victory", "repeal", "epic", and perhaps, though I'm really not so sure these days, "Republican".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2017, 11:52:49 am »
Darn tootin'.

I mean, except for "conservative", "leading", "charge", "victory", "repeal", "epic", and perhaps, though I'm really not so sure these days, "Republican".
Just minor details...

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2017, 12:02:12 pm »
That is rubbish as well.  Nowhere does the Constitution declare that the Supreme Court is the only entity that can read the text of the Constitution.

That is an assumed power not in the Constitution.

You are turning into a frothing creature of another world with the gibberish.

Article 3. 

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish.  . . .

The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution. . . .

. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

Let's take it slowly now, my friend from Rio Linda:   

- The Constitution establishes the SCOTUS as wielding the supreme "judicial power of the United States"

- The jurisdiction of that power extends explicitly to cases "arising under this Constitution"

-  The power to be exercised is APPELLATE power, which includes the power to interpret, construe and resolve differences among lower courts

Note that the SCOTUS's appellate power is not unlimited - Congress can carve out exceptions, and otherwise regulate its jurisdiction.   But in the absence of Congress' exercise of that authority,  the decisions of the Supreme Court represent the authoritative law of the land.

That, of course, was established two centuries ago by Marbury v. Madison - admittedly a decision of that very court.  But Congress has done nothing in 200 years to limit that authority which is why - in a Constitutional Republic that adheres to the rule of law rather than to the prejudices of the religious - the right of gays to the equal protection of the law, or the wall of separation between church and state enunciated in Everson v. Board of Education and Lemon v. Kurtzmann,  is just as much a part of the Constitution as the Second Amendment.   

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:20:45 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2017, 12:09:15 pm »
I've decided to lay off Roy Moore, after reading Allen Mendenhall's column in this morning's Wall Street Journal (sorry I can't link to it;  WSJ articles are behind a paywall; but anyone here who calls himself a conservative should have a subscription.) 

Mendenhall was Moore's staff attorney from 2013 - 2016, and paints a picture of a compassionate Christian,  with empathy for the less fortunate and a desire to understand both sides of an issue.   On that basis,  I wish him well in his election bid.   I'll admit I'm as susceptible to prejudice as anyone else, and my exposure to dogmatic haters like INVAR has colored by view of Bible-believing Christians.   I need to resist that view, and understand that some conservative Christians understand the true message of Christ.   Maybe Roy Moore is one of them.   

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2017, 12:10:49 pm »
Article 3. 

Let's take it slowly now - 

- The Constitution establishes the SCOTUS as wielding the supreme "judicial power of the United States"

- The jurisdiction of that power extends explicitly to cases "arising under this Constitution"

-  The power to be exercised is APPELLATE power, which includes the power to interpret, construe and resolve differences among lower courts
In cases involving disputes between the States and between the States and the Federal Government, the SCOTUS was to be the court of original jurisdiction, too, iirc. But that artifact is from the days when the States were more than a rubber stamp for Federal Policy.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2017, 12:25:24 pm »
In cases involving disputes between the States and between the States and the Federal Government, the SCOTUS was to be the court of original jurisdiction, too, iirc. But that artifact is from the days when the States were more than a rubber stamp for Federal Policy.

I excerpted from Article 3; the SCOTUS's jurisdiction is limited to the matters therein enunciated.   And among its enumerated powers is the appellate authority to interpret and construe the Constitution.   The Constitution is an elegant amalgam of checks and balances, but those checks need to be exercised to diminish the Court's authority.  As it stands, the right to abortion and the right to keep and bear arms are EQUALLY rights guaranteed under the Constitution.

Jazzy likes to preach the legal and moral supremacy of judicial precedent as the supreme law of the land, as if 9 justices in black robes were vicars of infallibility.

I have been attacked by many here for defending the Supreme Court, but keep in mind I am not defending its decisions, I am defending its authority under the Constitution.   We are not a democracy, we are not a theocracy, and there is indeed a Constitutional wall of separation between Church and State despite the blatherings to the contrary.  We are a Constitutional republic, and a bulwark of the republic is the Court's role as the final arbiter of the Constitution's meaning, subject to Congress's power to regulate its jurisdiction, the President's power to nominate its members, and the Senate's power to consent to such nominations.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:34:29 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2017, 12:32:10 pm »
I excerpted from Article 3; the SCOTUS's jurisdiction is limited to the matters therein enunciated.   But among its enumerated powers is the appellate authority to interpret and construe the Constitution.   The Constitution is an elegant amalgam of checks and balances, but those checks need to be exercised to diminish the Court's authority.  As it stands, the right to abortion and the right to keep and bear arms are EQUALLY rights guaranteed under the Constitution.
We could go at this all day, but the RKBA is an enumerated and listed "right of the people". The "right to abortion" is a construct of an erroneous court acting on less than honest assertions. I have no doubt that if there was intent to put in a right to abortion or homosexual "marriage", the folks who refused to ratify the Constitution without the Bill of Rights would have slipped those in somewhere.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2017, 12:42:50 pm »

I think he knew that Strange would lose but wanted to return Strange's support of him. I think that Moore understood what was going on and will act accordingly.

Yes, very clearly so, I think. Trump is pushing in every way possible, under every situation presented him in the wacky world of politics, for his (mine and ours) agenda. He intends to maneuver through an entrenched and intransigent congressional leadership in order to continue winning for the folks – despite his detractors’ naysaying.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2017, 12:51:27 pm »
I have been attacked by many here for defending the Supreme Court, but keep in mind I am not defending its decisions, I am defending its authority under the Constitution.   We are not a democracy, we are not a theocracy, and there is indeed a Constitutional wall of separation between Church and State despite the blatherings to the contrary.  We are a Constitutional republic, and a bulwark of the republic is the Court's role as the final arbiter of the Constitution's meaning, subject to Congress's power to regulate its jurisdiction, the President's power to nominate its members, and the Senate's power to consent to such nominations.   

That's because you defend the court when their rulings are in line with your Liberal mindset and philosophy.

Other times you've railed about judicial overreach when they have ruled more in line with the Constitution.

We get it...you LOVE LOVE LOVE the SCOTUS when they are creating from whole cloth like the "right" to abortion and the "right" to gay "marriage".

Fictitious rights created out of the ether by Liberal activist jurists.  But you don't like them as much when they rule in favor of the actual written constitution when it comes to things like the RKBA.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!