Author Topic: Could North Korea Launch a 'Pearl Harbor' Attack on Hawaii?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Could North Korea Launch a 'Pearl Harbor' Attack on Hawaii?
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:40:08 pm »
Dan Goure

The Trump Administration is undertaking a Ballistic Missile Defense Review intended to ensure that our current and planned capabilities are best able to meet the evolving ballistic missile threat.  This review needs to seriously consider recommending an accelerated program to provide a dedicated missile defense capability for Hawaii.

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea’s (DPRK) efforts to develop long-range ballistic missiles and nuclear warheads are accelerating.  Pyongyang already has or will soon possess ballistic missiles capable of threatening virtually any target in the Western Pacific region. As if that were not enough to cause U.S. defense planners sleepless nights, the latest Worldwide Threat Assessment by the Director of National Intelligence believes that 2017 will be the year that North Korea tests an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), a weapon with sufficient range to deliver a nuclear weapon to Hawaii, Alaska and the continental U.S.
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/could-north-korea-launch-pearl-harbor-attack-hawaii-21850
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online DB

Re: Could North Korea Launch a 'Pearl Harbor' Attack on Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:44:23 pm »
It could if NK wants to disappear in a flash of light.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:48:27 pm »
It could if NK wants to disappear in a flash of light.

I would say from launch detection to impact it would be about 10-20 minutes.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:52:14 pm »
I would say from launch detection to impact it would be about 10-20 minutes.

Yes, but you wouldn't really know what they launched until it completes its flight/detonates. And then whatever it was is a done deal.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:01:30 am »
Yes, but you wouldn't really know what they launched until it completes its flight/detonates. And then whatever it was is a done deal.

DSP satellites can pick up an immediate launch and relay that information to NORAD and Peterson AFB. That is why they are up there. In 1991, we were able to track Saddam Hussein missiles and give that information to the Israelis.

http://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104611/defense-support-program-satellites/

Online DB

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 01:11:43 am »
DSP satellites can pick up an immediate launch and relay that information to NORAD and Peterson AFB. That is why they are up there. In 1991, we were able to track Saddam Hussein missiles and give that information to the Israelis.

http://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104611/defense-support-program-satellites/

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. My point was that we don't know what the payload on the rocket is until it is released/gets to its destination. So the rocket might be harmless or a city killer. No way to know until its done its deed.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 01:18:13 am »
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. My point was that we don't know what the payload on the rocket is until it is released/gets to its destination. So the rocket might be harmless or a city killer. No way to know until its done its deed.

Would it matter? Were any ICBM with a trajectory that appears to threaten a US strategic or populated target launched the worst case would have to be assumed.

Online DB

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 01:37:09 am »
Would it matter? Were any ICBM with a trajectory that appears to threaten a US strategic or populated target launched the worst case would have to be assumed.

Well the results matter but I agree, you have to assume the worst on any launch treating it like a city killer.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 02:51:02 am »

Nuclear armed missiles have only been tested a handful of times.The test involved a nuclear-tipped missile fired from a US submarine toward Christmas Island and detonated over the Pacific Ocean. in the 1960s.We dared the Chinese in 1966 (when they tested a nuclear missile) and they did it. Now we're daring the North Koreans

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 03:11:03 am »
Nuclear armed missiles have only been tested a handful of times.The test involved a nuclear-tipped missile fired from a US submarine toward Christmas Island and detonated over the Pacific Ocean. in the 1960s.We dared the Chinese in 1966 (when they tested a nuclear missile) and they did it. Now we're daring the North Koreans

Once you've lit off a missile/warhead combo, there's not much point in doing it again and again.  There have been a crapton of missile tests since those early days, there was no point in slapping warheads on them.  The whole ticket is to get that first one, and that's what rocket kid is trying to do, he says.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:57 am »
Once you've lit off a missile/warhead combo, there's not much point in doing it again and again.  There have been a crapton of missile tests since those early days, there was no point in slapping warheads on them.  The whole ticket is to get that first one, and that's what rocket kid is trying to do, he says.

With bombers you can recall them to their failsafe points, with the proper codes. You cannot recall a missile.Once you are committed, you are committed. This is why we have the "two man(women) rule".It takes two people to agree to launch a missile wing that has a capability of wiping out twenty million people. In communist countries, they do not have that rule. The missileers can be overriden by a "political" officer and its completely centralized.I have no doubts that Kim is the shotcaller on this and his officers are just following his directions.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:26:12 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 03:26:25 am »

If that happened it would give Japanese tourists another place to clog up taking pictures.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 03:28:11 am »

If that happened it would give Japanese tourists another place to clog up taking pictures.

LOL. Those pictures might be overexposed.

rangerrebew

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 01:23:46 pm »
There is a large military presence in Hawaii which might have something to say about the missile reaching it's destination.  I would be really surprised if there weren't a picket line of Navy ships between NK/Guam and Guam/Hawaii that might also have some say in the matter.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:10 pm »
There is a large military presence in Hawaii which might have something to say about the missile reaching it's destination.  I would be really surprised if there weren't a picket line of Navy ships between NK/Guam and Guam/Hawaii that might also have some say in the matter.

Actually there are many X-Band radar stations in between.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 08:04:22 pm »
Actually there are many X-Band radar stations in between.

Any such missile from NK would have to go into low earth orbit at the very least.   Probably the only time they could stop it would be on the launch or on the descent.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02:51 pm »

When I was a kid we were visiting Grand Canyon when a bus pulled up and disgorged its cargo of Japanese armed with at least three cameras each, clicking away.  One fellow walked up to my father and said, "It's quite beautiful, but not quite as beautiful as Mount Fuji.  Bet you haven't seen that." 

My father just fixed him in a stare and said, "As a matter of fact, I have.  In 1945."  Boy, my father hated Nips.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 09:04:02 pm »
Any such missile from NK would have to go into low earth orbit at the very least.   Probably the only time they could stop it would be on the launch or on the descent.

And descent would be pretty tough to hit, considering how fast the target would be.
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 09:33:35 pm »
If a missile was launched from NK with a projected trajectory to Hawaii, we do not wait until it hits to see what it contained.

Due to NK's stated declaration of a nuclear attack on the US, it must be immediately assumed it is nuclear and we have immediate reprisal.

It is as simple as that.  Before the missile lands, NK has already guaranteed its extinction.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:19 pm »
LOL. Those pictures might be overexposed.
Can you overexpose a memory card?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 11:57:00 pm »
And descent would be pretty tough to hit, considering how fast the target would be.

Why not, it's all woulda coulda shoulda anyway.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 12:12:27 am »
When I was a kid we were visiting Grand Canyon when a bus pulled up and disgorged its cargo of Japanese armed with at least three cameras each, clicking away.  One fellow walked up to my father and said, "It's quite beautiful, but not quite as beautiful as Mount Fuji.  Bet you haven't seen that." 

My father just fixed him in a stare and said, "As a matter of fact, I have.  In 1945."  Boy, my father hated Nips.

LOL. I like your old mans style.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 08:14:25 am »
Can you overexpose a memory card?

The EMP would destroy the card

Online DB

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 09:24:23 am »
The EMP would destroy the card

The the burst of radioactive radiation alone would wipe the card...

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 09:27:12 am »
The the burst of radioactive radiation alone would wipe the card...

I meant to say wipe out. Thanks for correcting. But I did some checking they do EMP proof thumbdrives
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:34:40 am by DemolitionMan »