Author Topic: Seahawks Coach - Pete Carroll: responds to President Trump on Pledge  (Read 4703 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Seahawks Coach - Pete Carroll: responds to President Trump on Pledge
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 11:28:56 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:36:27 am »
Interesting to see which teams/head coaches decide on backing the players taking knees and disrespecting the National Anthem.

Will other players in the vein of the late Mike Tillman, who was KIA in Afghanistan, make this their own 'war' and take out their vengeance on the field?

Will fans by the tens of thousands boycott games in support of the POTUS' point-of-view?

Will this backfire BIG TIME on President Trump, and become a catalyst that brings much darker days to the Nation?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 11:41:20 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6MNnpKnP-8

Great interview with Michelle Malkin and Judge Jeanine Pirro on NFL protests

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:42:28 am »
The players are employees working as entertainers for an employer. Those employers have customers which provide all the funding.

They have no right to "express themselves" on someone else's dime and time. It has nothing to do with constitutional rights. These "coaches" are mental midgets for suggesting it does. They either perform their job duties or get replaced with someone who will.

They're acting like union thugs destroying their own source of employment. Really, really stupid pissing off at least half their customers.

It looks like many of these people are in total denial as to what's happening to the NFL's popularity. And now it is spreading to other sports. If this thing gets rolling there is going to be hell to pay - and deservingly so.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:47:05 am by DB »

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:52:02 am »
The players are employees working as entertainers for an employer. Those employers have customers which provide all the funding.

They have no right to "express themselves" on someone else's dime and time. It has nothing to do with constitutional rights. These "coaches" are mental midgets for suggesting it does. They either perform their job duties or get replaced with someone who will.

They're acting like union thugs destroying their own source of employment. Really, really stupid pissing off at least half their customers.
 :beer: :patriot:

It looks like many of these people are in total denial as to what's happening to the NFL's popularity. And now it is spreading to other sports. If this thing gets rolling there is going to be hell to pay - and deservingly so.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 11:55:21 am »
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/276374/

Trump’s NFL Protest Comments are why Trump is President:

He takes a commonly held sentiment — most people don’t like the NFL protests — and states it in an inflammatory way guaranteed to get everyone’s attention and generate outrage among his critics. When those critics lash back at him, Trump is put in the position of getting attacked for a fairly commonsensical view.

Of course, NFL owners firing players on the spot for protesting isn’t necessarily common sense, but this is where “seriously, not literally” comes in.

There is another option, besides firing a player:

An odd controversy briefly dominated the sports pages in March 1996. A player in the National Basketball Association, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, refused to follow the league’s rule requiring that players stand in a “dignified posture” during the national anthem. Instead, since the beginning of the 1995-96 season, Abdul-Rauf had remained seated during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner.

A black, 27-year-old former Baptist from Mississippi who had converted to Islam in 1991, he declared that as a Muslim, he could not pay homage to the American flag – which he called a “symbol of oppression, of tyranny.” He argued further that the flag directly contradicted his Islamic faith: “This country has a long history of [oppression]. I don’t think you can argue the facts. You can’t be for God and for oppression. It’s clear in the Koran. Islam is the only way.”

The NBA responded firmly, suspending Abdul-Rauf until he agreed to obey league rules. He missed one game, then capitulated. Two factors probably weighed most heavily on him: losing a cool $31,707 for each game missed, and facing wide opposition to his decision from other Muslims.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:58:31 am »

I expect some 'head-hunting' is going to happen during these NFL and MLB games.

IMO, the A's catcher must have a very low IQ.   Can you imagine what a 'Curt Schilling' on the mound could/would do to this A-hole?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:17:40 pm »
Just a few tweets on the subject:
Ben Shapiro‏Verified account @benshapiro 9h9 hours ago

Players kneel.
Stupid.
Trump says owners should fire players for kneeling.
Stupid.
Dems say all players should kneel.
Everything is stupid.
------------------------------------------
 Buck Sexton‏Verified account @BuckSexton Sep 22

Democrat media is about to spend a whole weekend defending multimillionaire athletes who disrespect our flag

Gosh I wonder why Trump won
------------------------------------------
 David Rutz‏Verified account @DavidRutz 18h18 hours ago

In 2013, Trump advised the president to focus on important problems, not petty sports nonsense.
-----------------------------------------
 Michelle Malkin‏Verified account @michellemalkin 11h11 hours ago

Dear @NFL players: This Sunday, #TakeAKnee on a pew & thank the good Lord for your blessings & your country.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 12:27:15 pm »
Islam is the alternative to not being oppressed.  Now that's funny
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 12:27:39 pm »
I expect some 'head-hunting' is going to happen during these NFL and MLB games.

IMO, the A's catcher must have a very low IQ.   Can you imagine what a 'Curt Schilling' on the mound could/would do to this A-hole?

Damn right.  I stand with POTUS on this one.  Wish a 1970 or 1980ish Nolan Ryan was pitching against the A's today.   <oops. that one got away>
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 12:36:20 pm »
In a way, Trump has disrupted the whole so called 'protests'. He has derailed it now, like a train wreck on two important levels.

First, the goal of the protest has been usurped. The original goal of the thing was supposed to be a stand against perceived 'injustice' against the poor little innocent American Black man. Well, that is now gone. Now, the protest will be seen as a protest against the racist 'white-supremacist' nation of the United States of America, but not for supposedly oppressing Blacks which was the original goal. Now it will be seen as a protest against America and Americans for electing Donald Trump as President. Trump has successfully made the protests about him, rather than the Black Power, BLM, Black Panther, Black Supremacist, movement for which it was intended to be.

Second, if everyone kneels, then nobody does. What I mean is if everyone 'takes a knee' then the whole thing sort of loses impact. It is no longer a protest in support of the Black grievance culture. In the case of everyone doing it, Black, White, Latino, etc., then it is just a general protest about nothing, really. It then becomes just a general protest against President Trump and the nation which elected him. All the original Black grievance stuff gets lost in the fog. This is why some BLM gatherings banned all White people no matter who they were. Because they didn't want Black and White people to be seen together because this would hurt their message of hate and oppression.

If nothing else, Trump has trivialized the thing and has made it about him. He has thrown a wrench into the machine and really has changed the fundamental nature of the protests. From now on, I think many Americans will simply see it as just another anti-Trump stunt, which completely obfuscates the original message.

If there is one thing Trump is known for, it is being able to change the rules and the perception of a problem. And I think in this case, he has done it again.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:39:45 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 12:44:25 pm »
In a way, Trump has disrupted the whole so called 'protests'. He has derailed it now, like a train wreck on two important levels.

First, the goal of the protest has been usurped. The original goal of the thing was supposed to be a stand against perceived 'injustice' against the poor little innocent American Black man. Well, that is now gone. Now, the protest will be seen as a protest against the racist 'white-supremacist' nation of the United States of America, but not for supposedly oppressing Blacks which was the original goal. Now it will be seen as a protest against America and Americans for electing Donald Trump as President. Trump has successfully made the protests about him, rather than the Black Power, BLM, Black Panther, Black Supremacist, movement for which it was intended to be.

Second, if everyone kneels, then nobody does. What I mean is if everyone 'takes a knee' then the whole thing sort of loses impact. It is no longer a protest in support of the Black grievance culture. In the case of everyone doing it, Black, White, Latino, etc., then it is just a general protest about nothing, really. It then becomes just a general protest against President Trump and the nation which elected him. All the original Black grievance stuff gets lost in the fog. This is why some BLM gatherings banned all White people no matter who they were. Because they didn't want Black and White people together because this would hurt their message of hate and oppression.

If nothing else, Trump has trivialized the thing and has made it about him. He has thrown a wrench into the machine and really has changed the fundamental nature of the protests. From now on, I think many Americans will simply see it as just another anti-Trump stunt, which completely obfuscates the original message.

If there is one thing Trump is known for, it is being able to change the rules and the perception of a problem. And I think in this case, he has done it again.

Meh..... not so sure I'm in agreement, @240B

You're right in that the protests now will expand exponentially and become all about Donald Trump.   But, IMO, that can't work in 'our' favor.

IMO, we're giving "THEM" justification....turning it into a protest against our elected President, which will add up to 50% of the country participating or providing moral support.

Nope...(and I'm not actually advocating it ...  ;) ), the only thing that will put a stop, or at least mute this, is for several of the triggered athletes spend the rest of the season on the Injured Reserve list.

They want a 'war'....., let's give them one.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 01:04:41 pm »
IMO, we're giving "THEM" justification....turning it into a protest against our elected President, which will add up to 50% of the country participating or providing moral support.

I doubt they will get 50% of Americans supporting this nonsense, but the percentage of Americans who would ever support BLM and the 'protester', already supported them. All Trump did was to cause them to redirect their fire toward him. Maybe they will get more support because it has now become an anti-Trump thing, but the amount of increase, if any, is unknown.

As far as war, America has been at war with the Left since the 60s. The slogan 'Love it or Leave it!' is just as valid today as it was then. The recent escalation of the war, is precisely because we did give it to them. The loss of so many State seats to Republicans combined with the election of Trump make the Left feel like they are losing the war. That is what all this recent insanity from the media and almost everyone on the Left is all about.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 01:30:15 pm »
It doesn’t matter what Trump said or didn’t say, the bottom line is these player and now coaches and owners are disrespectful to our country and it’s flag and anthem. And it is being done on their customers dime.

I don’t watch those POS premodonna’s nor spend my money on them. I hope every one of the games today are at least half empty of fans. Meanwhile I might watch NASCAR playoffs today.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 01:32:27 pm »
Michelle Malkin's full interview with Judge Jeanine Pirro:  Sep 23, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psCz0uCzfvs

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:33:31 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 01:32:32 pm »
Interesting to see which teams/head coaches decide on backing the players taking knees and disrespecting the National Anthem.

Will other players in the vein of the late Mike Tillman, who was KIA in Afghanistan, make this their own 'war' and take out their vengeance on the field?

Will fans by the tens of thousands boycott games in support of the POTUS' point-of-view?

Will this backfire BIG TIME on President Trump, and become a catalyst that brings much darker days to the Nation?

@DCPatriot

PAT Tillman.  I know you meant no disrespect and I mean none towards you...but he deserves for us  to get it right
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 01:39:57 pm »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/
The owners come to the community every 20 years or so and ask taxpayers to ante up hundreds of millions of dollars for stadiums. I think it's time to take a knee.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »
The owners come to the community every 20 years or so and ask taxpayers to ante up hundreds of millions of dollars for stadiums. I think it's time to take a knee.
Better yet, say FU!
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 02:26:12 pm »
Pete Carroll exposed himself as a lowlife when he supported the payments of Reggie Bush as a college player, then skipped town when the heat came down on him.

He will be the first of the NFL coaches to kneel alongside his players to say "F_ USA".
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 03:46:20 pm »
So players have the freedom to protest? Ok. 

And as a fan, I have the freedom to turn off the NFL games  and not buy any of the team's merchandise either.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 03:51:20 pm »
Better yet, say FU!

Well,  the problem with that is our elected officials --at least where I live -- would just ignore the taxpayers and fork over the money without our approval.

cc:  @starstruck

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 04:28:09 pm »
Well,  the problem with that is our elected officials --at least where I live -- would just ignore the taxpayers and fork over the money without our approval.

cc:  @starstruck
That is exactly what started the American Revolution back in those early colonial days.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 04:49:43 pm »
@DCPatriot

PAT Tillman.  I know you meant no disrespect and I mean none towards you...but he deserves for us  to get it right

Oops!     :patriot:

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 05:13:08 pm »
Damn right.  I stand with POTUS on this one.  Wish a 1970 or 1980ish Nolan Ryan was pitching against the A's today.   <oops. that one got away>

I do too...and I'm not even into sports. 

No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.