Author Topic: To guard against climate change, Los Angeles is painting its streets white  (Read 1306 times)

rangerrebew

To guard against climate change, Los Angeles is painting its streets white

They plan to lower the temperature by 3 degrees over the next 20 years.
By Jeremy Deaton Nexus Media Yesterday at 2:47pm

Labor Day weekend delivered record-breaking temperatures to California as a heat wave swept the state, fanning the flames of the largest wildfire Los Angeles has seen in decades. The unusually warm weather bears the mark of climate change, which is fueling record heat around the globe.

http://www.popsci.com/la-is-painting-its-streets-white-to-keep-city-cool

Wingnut

Re: To guard against climate change, Los Angeles is painting its streets white
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »
That's racist.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:27:26 pm »
Don't black streets matter? Bet your asphalt they do!
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:38:52 pm »
So the envirowhackos aren't taking account of all the extra VOC emissions associated  with needless painting.

You just can't make this shit up.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 01:47:48 pm »
I wonder if it will make a measurable difference?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 01:52:46 pm »

I wonder how many wrecks will happen because of the more reflective white surface?  Can you imagine driving into a morning/evening sun and also have to fight the reflective pavement too?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 01:56:43 pm »
I wonder how many wrecks will happen because of the more reflective white surface?  Can you imagine driving into a morning/evening sun and also have to fight the reflective pavement too?

And it will be slicker. Tires won't grip as well on a painted surface.  More Death and Carnage on the roads.  Why the maiming of poor innocent pedestrians pushing their bundles of joy in baby strollers hit by a sliding car or bus is just more than I personally can take.  Oh THe HUMANITY.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 05:02:45 pm »
And it will be slicker. Tires won't grip as well on a painted surface.  More Death and Carnage on the roads.  Why the maiming of poor innocent pedestrians pushing their bundles of joy in baby strollers hit by a sliding car or bus is just more than I personally can take.  Oh THe HUMANITY.

The military uses this stuff.   How do they keep planes from sliding off the runways and vehicles everywhere??

The stuff isn't white, though...it's gray.

Ridiculous article.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 05:08:03 pm »
It's because of stupid articles like this Pop Sci eliminated their comments sections from their articles.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 05:32:59 pm »
So the envirowhackos aren't taking account of all the extra VOC emissions associated  with needless painting.

You just can't make this shit up.
My thoughts exactly in re: VOCs. Otherwise, they can use Latex....Oh wait, people are alergic to that (too).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline the_doc

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:36:58 pm »

If LA paints all of its roadways, the difference in the city's temperature will be small but conceivably measurable in a carefully controlled experiment.  The main difference is that it will make the city look even more grimy than it already looks.

The improved reflectivity would put more IR energy back into the atmosphere--which, according to some AGW theories, would still be trapped in the atmosphere.  (By the way, the temperature of the pavement would be hot.)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 06:38:29 am »
The immutable law of unintended consequences will arise, for certain.

When libs control things, all it takes is good intentions, regardless of the results.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:30:39 am »
The immutable law of unintended consequences will arise, for certain.

When libs control things, all it takes is good intentions, regardless of the results.

Probably right.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 08:58:12 pm »
Of course none of the money wasted on this idiocy will come from the money the L.A. City Council steals from it's legal residents to coddle and curry to the illegal ones.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 09:30:00 pm »
Why not simply start replacing city streets with concrete as they need replacement?  Achieves the same result. 

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 09:32:33 pm »
However, it's merely reflecting the sun light off of one surface and onto others, so it won't actually reduce the amount of solar input into the equation, won't reduce the amount of heat that is trapped by the atmosphere, and in fact with the tons of new volatiles that will be seeping out of the materials, will conceivably make things worse by increasing the greenhouse gases.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 09:35:24 pm »
However, it's merely reflecting the sun light off of one surface and onto others, so it won't actually reduce the amount of solar input into the equation, won't reduce the amount of heat that is trapped by the atmosphere, and in fact with the tons of new volatiles that will be seeping out of the materials, will conceivably make things worse by increasing the greenhouse gases.

Stop making sense.  This is California you're talking about.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 09:47:12 pm »
Why not simply start replacing city streets with concrete as they need replacement?  Achieves the same result.
I remember when I was a kid growing up in Lynwood, Ca. the main streets were made of concrete, but many years later when I went back they were either replaced with or paved over with asphalt, I'm sure that ease of maintenance and cost were the main factors.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:06 pm »
I remember when I was a kid growing up in Lynwood, Ca. the main streets were made of concrete, but many years later when I went back they were either replaced with or paved over with asphalt, I'm sure that ease of maintenance and cost were the main factors.

Actually, it has a lot to do with how expenses are accounted for.  A concrete road is generally a better road than tarmac and lasts longer with less repair, but it's much more expensive to build so it represents a large capital expenditure upfront.  Tarmac is cheaper to build so it represents a smaller up front capital cost, even though over its lifetime it's more expensive over all because it requires a lot more maintenance and repair.  For a lot of municipalities it's easier to get the money for constant repair work every year on tarmac than it is to get the upfront capital to build concrete. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 11:11:47 pm »
Actually, it has a lot to do with how expenses are accounted for.  A concrete road is generally a better road than tarmac and lasts longer with less repair, but it's much more expensive to build so it represents a large capital expenditure upfront.  Tarmac is cheaper to build so it represents a smaller up front capital cost, even though over its lifetime it's more expensive over all because it requires a lot more maintenance and repair.  For a lot of municipalities it's easier to get the money for constant repair work every year on tarmac than it is to get the upfront capital to build concrete.

There is anther issue.  "Rubberized" pavement is popular because it is much more quiet to the surrounding neighborhoods (about half the noise), and that stuff is blacker than black.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 11:13:40 pm »
There is anther issue.  "Rubberized" pavement is popular because it is much more quiet to the surrounding neighborhoods (about half the noise), and that stuff is blacker than black.

Macadam is also quieter than concrete on faster streets, but for most neighborhood streets I don't think the difference is really noticeable. 

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 11:20:10 pm »
Good luck keeping the pavement white dumba$$es...gonna cost them a bunch more in tax dollars to clean all the dirt, oils and rubber off the roads.   :silly:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 11:24:59 pm »
Macadam is also quieter than concrete on faster streets, but for most neighborhood streets I don't think the difference is really noticeable.

We redid freeways with the Rubberized in Phoenix (Not neighborhood streets), and it was like night and day.  Or should I say day and night?
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 11:41:04 pm »
The higher albedo might reduce the heat island effect. However, I have noticed large towns on the Plains tend to have storms go around them after a really hot day, and that may be a localized effect from the pavement in town, causing air currents that disrupt the storm cell or move it off.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 11:41:39 pm »
Red Foreman is about to talk :smokin: