Author Topic: Trump struggling with John Kelly's strict operation: Report  (Read 1599 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump struggling with John Kelly's strict operation: Report
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:39:17 pm »
by Daniel Chaitin | Aug 31, 2017, 11:39 PM

President Trump is having a difficult time accepting the strict operation in the White House run by chief of staff John Kelly, according to a report Thursday.

Sources closed to the president tell The Washington Post that Trump is struggling with the adjustment as the former Marine Corps general has brought a sense of discipline to a West Wing beset by leaks and infighting.

"[Trump's] having a very hard time," one friend who spoke with Trump this week told the Post. "He doesn't like the way the media's handling him. He doesn't like how Kelly's handling him. He's turning on people that are very close to him."

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-struggling-with-john-kellys-strict-operation-report/article/2633169
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Trump struggling with John Kelly's strict operation: Report
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:01 pm »
Trump tweets support of Kelly amid reports of frustration with officials

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/348826-trump-tweets-support-of-kelly
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:51 pm »
There needs to be some balance here. Seems we've went from freewheeling chaos to dress blues and spit shine. Neither is how the White House is supposed to function.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 01:57:02 pm »
A man with a lifetime of discipline working for one with very little is bound to cause headaches for both.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 01:59:32 pm »
Seems to be working, though.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 02:01:04 pm »
"Sources closed to the president tell The Washington Post"

Solid leads there.  Deepthroat solid.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 02:01:50 pm »
There needs to be some balance here. Seems we've went from freewheeling chaos to dress blues and spit shine. Neither is how the White House is supposed to function.

The White House was a mess.  Maybe it still is.  Discipline and order had to be instituted.  Perhaps once the WH operates smoothly, Kelly can relax a bit. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 02:29:51 pm »
A man with a lifetime of discipline working for one with very little is bound to cause headaches for both.

What you say here is not true. From what I've read the thing most notable about Donald Trump is the intensity that he brings to each new project. You think it doesn't take discipline to complete a skyscraper from start to finish?  **nononono*

I get tired of the false characterizations that lack any basis in truth. Like the one that Trump doesn't listen, is intellectually incurious or that he doesn't read. Totally false. He reads all the time and researches everything, including by listening directly to experts in the field for their advice.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 02:37:57 pm »
What you say here is not true. From what I've read the thing most notable about Donald Trump is the intensity that he brings to each new project. You think it doesn't take discipline to complete a skyscraper from start to finish?  **nononono*

I get tired of the false characterizations that lack any basis in truth. Like the one that Trump doesn't listen, is intellectually incurious or that he doesn't read. Totally false. He reads all the time and researches everything, including by listening directly to experts in the field for their advice.

You may be right, but these experts now have to get past Kelly first. Don't know if that's good or bad.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 02:38:39 pm »

Except in most cases, he leases his name and has very little to do with the actual construction and management of the property.  He's not the builder - nor much else - he's claimed to be.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »
Trump is a manchild baby.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 02:41:20 pm »

Trump has exhibited nothing but lack of self-discipline since he's been in office.  The facts themselves refute you.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 02:47:15 pm »
Trump is a manchild baby.

I sense there will be a shutdown October 1, if only to demonstrate he's "The Boss."

One can argue both sides, though IMO, this is not the time, just a month after Harvey.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 02:56:52 pm »
I think Trump sees that he is running two operations: a political operation that is based on tweets and rallies; and a policy operation that is based on legislating amd governing.  The first operation requires provocation, whereas the second operation requires security and stability.  These two operations are very often at odds with each other, and that is what is causing the chaos (if there is chaos).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:57:54 pm by massadvj »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 03:18:48 pm »
Here's the money quote from the article ....

Some people close to Trump also don't appreciate Kelly's efforts to tamp down Trump's penchant for spontaneity and bold statements. According to the Post, some of them have taken to dismissively calling Kelly "the church lady."

Trump's "penchant for spontaneity" means they had fluid access to the CEO.  Now they do not, and they're not happy. 

The ones most resistant to any change in protocol are always the manager's direct reports; and the underlings are loathe to admit that the CEO is fine with the change-- even though it's obvious because he/she signed off on it.

The good news is the staff's tantrums and whining subside....one way or the other.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:20:48 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 03:19:19 pm »
By attacking those he needs to govern and legislate, he is jeopardizing his ability to do those things IMO.   It seems to me that he either doesn’t care that he is inflicting wounds on his own ability to govern and legislate or he just can’t help himself.  I suspect it’s more the later.  I believe Trump to be impulsive, not detailed oriented, and basically undisciplined.  I think Kelly is trying to establish some discipline in the White House.  Over time, I expect Trump to rebel against this discipline because I think he just likes being more free-wheeling.  That’s not a good trait to have in the Oval Office IMO, and we’re seeing the results with conflicting messages coming from this Administration (e.g., no talking with North Korea versus diplomacy is always on the table) along with the breaks we’ve seen between members of his Administration with the President (e.g., Cohn, Tillerson, Mattis).  I doubt Kelly will last a year (unfortunately, because I think he’s doing the best he can).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:33:44 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 04:31:46 pm »
by Daniel Chaitin | Aug 31, 2017, 11:39 PM

President Trump is having a difficult time accepting the strict operation in the White House run by chief of staff John Kelly, according to a report Thursday.

Sources closed to the president tell The Washington Post that Trump is struggling with the adjustment as the former Marine Corps general has brought a sense of discipline to a West Wing beset by leaks and infighting.

"[Trump's] having a very hard time," one friend who spoke with Trump this week told the Post. "He doesn't like the way the media's handling him. He doesn't like how Kelly's handling him. He's turning on people that are very close to him."

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-struggling-with-john-kellys-strict-operation-report/article/2633169

Another well-sourced article.  When will we learn?

"[Trump's] having a very hard time," one friend who spoke with Trump this week told the Post.

The Post has many nameless friends reporting to them.

That being said, I am praying for Kelly.  I think he may be our main hope in achieving a disciplined, workable White House.

How Trump handles this will give us a big hint on how his presidency will play out.

I sincerely hope Trump can bring himself to defer to Kelly's competent leadership.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 04:37:06 pm »
Here's the money quote from the article ....

Trump's "penchant for spontaneity" means they had fluid access to the CEO.  Now they do not, and they're not happy. 

The ones most resistant to any change in protocol are always the manager's direct reports; and the underlings are loathe to admit that the CEO is fine with the change-- even though it's obvious because he/she signed off on it.

The good news is the staff's tantrums and whining subside....one way or the other.

In other words, "waa-waa-waa, how dare you insult my Orange God."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »

Yes it does. But that discipline is not transmitted by the ceo of an enterprise level company. Maybe the coo, and most definitely by the working interface of that company with the architect team and the general contractor, and the contractor with his subs. The suits just cause trouble.

I haven't worked a whole lot of red iron, but I highly suspect it is the same wherever you go in construction.

His many, many faux pas belie your assertions. but then, I have very little respect for corporate suits to begin with, from long experience.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Forceful Chief of Staff Grates on Trump, and the Feeling Is Mutual
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 03:06:01 pm »

Glenn Thrush and Maggie Haberman
The New York Times
September 1, 2017

President Trump was in an especially ornery mood after staff members gently suggested he refrain from injecting politics into day-to-day issues of governing after last month’s raucous rally in Arizona, and he responded by lashing out at the most senior aide in his presence.

It happened to be his new chief of staff, John F. Kelly.

Mr. Kelly, the former Marine general brought in five weeks ago as the successor to Reince Priebus, reacted calmly, but he later told other White House staff members that he had never been spoken to like that during 35 years of serving his country. In the future, he said, he would not abide such treatment, according to three people familiar with the exchange.

While Mr. Kelly has quickly brought some order to a disorganized and demoralized staff, he is fully aware of the president’s volcanic resentment about being managed, according to a dozen people close to Mr. Trump, and has treaded gingerly through the minefield of Mr. Trump’s psyche. But the president has still bridled at what he perceives as being told what to do.

More

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Forceful Chief of Staff Grates on Trump, and the Feeling Is Mutual
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 05:53:47 pm »

Glenn Thrush and Maggie Haberman
The New York Times
September 1, 2017

More

I want the names of those three people, Old lying Gray Lady, and I want them now.

I sincerely doubt that a man like Kelly is undisciplined enough to whine about being berated by somebody.  He's a marine.  He's been berated by commanding officers all his life, many of whom were probably dumber than Trump.

This is just another attempt to stir up trouble.

I have no doubt that Kelly is having to control some negative feelings about Trump but he knew what he was getting into. 

And Trump knew he needed Kelly but the Trump in him resents Kelly's attempt to bring order into chaos.

I'm still praying for Kelly to hang in and for Trump to let him.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online corbe

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 10:24:08 pm »
   Insightful post , 'order out of chaos', He seems to be Tweeting Less and the Leaks are less frequent @Emjay

:thumbsup:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 12:22:03 am »
IMO there are national security reasons for severely limiting Trump's tweets: he pretty much telegraphs his intentions on most of his tweets. As Don Corleone said, "never let your enemies know what you're thinking."

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 12:29:22 am »
IMO there are national security reasons for severely limiting Trump's tweets: he pretty much telegraphs his intentions on most of his tweets. As Don Corleone said, "never let your enemies know what you're thinking."

But... does he?

Or are his tweets about as inelastic as his campaign "promises"?

As Don Corleone probably never said (I've never been able to stay interested/awake in those movies), "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with used oats".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 01:48:34 am »

:beer:  Yep, but only one IS the Boss. And he knows it. Which is a good thing.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass