Author Topic: Sheriff Joe Arpaio is no conservative and no hero, no matter what President Trump says  (Read 3385 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Convicting Arpaio of contempt of court was like busting Al Capone on tax evasion. It was the tip of an iceberg of misdeeds I saw my longtime sheriff commit.
By Jon Gabriel
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/08/27/sheriff-joe-arpaio-no-conservative-no-hero-no-matter-what-trump-says-jon-gabriel-column/606012001/

President Trump asked the crowd last week at his Phoenix rally, "Was Sheriff Joe convicted for doing his job?"
Had the hall been filled with an accurate cross section of Arpaio’s former constituents, the answer would have been
a resounding “no.”

Nevertheless, Trump pardoned the ex-sheriff on Friday, though he had not been sentenced and had shown zero
remorse for his crime . . .

. . . Many conservatives outside of Arizona celebrated his headline-grabbing antics, but they don’t know the real
story. I’m a conservative Maricopa County resident who has lived under Arpaio throughout his decades-long reign.
Arpaio was never a conservative; he just played one on TV . . .

. . . Washington’s laxity in border enforcement led many right-of-center Americans to appreciate more robust
enforcement, even when it regularly included authoritarian scenes such as the one in Guadalupe. But even if you
turn a blind eye to the human cost of such race-based enforcement, Arpaio’s other misdeeds are legion
(Emphasis added---EA.). . .

Jon Gabriel is editor in chief of Ricochet.com and a contributor to The Arizona Republic.
Put it this way: Any sheriff not named Joe Arpaio would have made conservatives want to vomit if he or
she had been (read the article) that lax in failing to investigate sex crimes, clearing that many cases without
arrests, arresting reporters who dared try looking deeper into his or her dealings, hiring a private gumshoe to
investigate the wife of a judge presiding over his or her civil contempt hearing, and faking an assassination
attempt and ultimately sticking taxpayers with a $1.1 million payoff to the poor sap who got framed for the
imaginary crime after he was found not guilty.

Arpaio's appeal regarding one hot-button issue was allowed to draw a veil over a somewhat overwhelming
pattern of criminal corruption in his own right, the kind that without that hot-button issue would have drawn
him nothing but contempt from those who believe that men like him add to the blackening of the eye on
honest and diligent law enforcement. The only tragedy is that someone in Donaldus Minimus's White House
didn't sit the president down and give him the whole story. If he chose to accept it and think twice about
a pardon, then reject the idea, that would have been big points for him.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

SIX FACTS ABOUT Sheriff Joe Arpaio Case That Will Shut Down Every Liberal Crying “Foul” Over President Trump’s Pardon

Liberals went nuts yesterday, after President Trump granted 85-year old Sheriff Joe Arpaio a pardon. Many of those on the left thumbed their nose at the Constitution for 8 years, while Barack Obama committed one of the most unconstitutional acts ever by a president, when he forced Americans to buy insurance. Suddenly, they were all of a sudden concerned about the possibility that President Trump may not have adhered to our Constitution when he pardoned America’s toughest Sheriff on illegal immigration.

Here are a 6 interesting facts that Breitbart News laid out, regarding the Sheriff Joe Arpaio case, that every American crying “foul” over President Trump’s pardon yesterday needs to know:

The US District judge who tried the case against Sheriff Arpaio was a Bill Clinton appointee.

1. The guilty ruling, by Bill Clinton-appointed U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton, is the latest chapter of a nearly decade-long saga of legal proceedings against Sheriff Joe initiated by leftist groups opposed to his aggressive policing of illegal aliens.

The charges against 85 year old Arpaio stem from a civil rights suit demanding he cease “racial profiling” in his Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office’s immigration enforcement operations. After a federal judge issued an order demanding certain practices, Arpaio was charged with contempt for continuing to try to enforce the law as he saw fit.

The misdemeanor charge was a ploy to prevent Sheriff Arpaio from having a jury trial.

2. Because Arpaio was charged only with a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of six-months in jail, the U.S. Constitution does not guarantee him a right to trial by a jury of his peers. Arpaio and his attorneys repeatedly petitioned for a jury, only to be denied by Judge Bolton in March and again in May. Sources familiar with the proceedings have told Breitbart News the decision to charge only the misdemeanor was likely a ploy by federal prosecutors to avoid a jury trial in the community where Arpaio served as sheriff for more than 20 years

According to the NCPD President, the DOJ had no evidence to make their case against Sheriff Arpaio.

3. National Center for Police Defense (NCPD) President James Fotis, who was present in the courtroom, was highly skeptical a Phoenix jury could have ever found Arpaio guilty. He told Breitbart News:

I sat through three days of testimony and it was clear from the beginning that the DOJ had no evidence to make their case. In fact, all of the DOJ’s witnesses made it clear that Judge Snow’s order was unclear and ambiguous. There is no way a jury would have determined that the Sheriff willfully and intentionally violated the judge’s order.

“Judge Bolton’s ruling has caused me to lose my faith in the court system and the federal judicial system,” Fotis added in a NCPD press release.

Over 40,000 signatures were gathered on a petition by current and former law enforcement officers in support of Sheriff Joe Arpaio who they claimed spent his entire career upholding and defending the Constitution.

4. Fotis was hardly the first or only commentator to question the impartiality of Arpaio’s prosecution. In June, his group managed to assemble over 40,000 signatures from current and former law enforcement officers in support of Arpaio, delivering them to the Department of Justice in Washington, DC. “After devoting 56-years of his life to upholding and defending the Constitution, Sheriff Arpaio deserves our nation’s eternal gratitude — not jail time,” those petitions read.

The Judge in the case should have recused himself, but refused to do so.

5. The initial racial profiling suit that eventually led to this conviction also took on political dimensions and its conduct was criticized. The judge in that case, G. Murray Snow, ignored calls to recuse himself based on the fact his brother-in-law is a partner at Covington & Burling, the firm representing those suing Arpaio and the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.

President Obama spent much of his 8 years in office trying to find a way to take down America’s toughest Sheriff on illegal immigrants, who also headed up an independent investigation into the alleged fake birth certificate that would prove Barack Obama was not born in the United States.

6. The decision to criminally prosecute Arpaio was taken while the DOJ was run by Attorney General Loretta Lynch. It would be highly unusual for new leadership to intervene and drop an ongoing prosecution, and no such step was taken, despite the aforementioned petitions.

Offline EasyAce

SIX FACTS ABOUT Sheriff Joe Arpaio Case That Will Shut Down Every Liberal Crying “Foul” Over President Trump’s Pardon . . .
It isn't just liberals crying foul over pardoning a man that corrupt; at least, it shouldn't be, especially when the immigration/
"racial profiling" issue is put to one side for a moment and the man's complete record is examined. That record is what Arpaio
ought really to have been held account for, and Maricopa County voters finally did just that last November, but there's enough in
the record outside the immigration issue that could have and probably should have warranted a prosecution.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:27:36 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Wingnut

If they want to "Hang Him" bring charges on his other "Record" of Crimes.   

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I'd just like to know what it is that supposedly makes him a conservative.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Enforcement of the law.  Tough treatment of criminals.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EasyAce

Enforcement of the law.  Tough treatment of criminals.
Does a conservative law enforcement officer either look the other way or dismiss four
hundred sex crimes without investigation?

Does a conservative law enforcement officer clear 75 percent of legitimate criminal cases
without investigations or arrests, even allowing for the rare case leading nowhere?

Does a conservative law enforcement officer have journalists and others arrested for no
crime other than investigating his dealings when the whiff of corruption becomes
a more pronounced odor?

Does a conservative law enforcement officer sic a private flatfoot on a judge's wife
for no better reason than that the judge is presiding over a contempt hearing involving
that officer?

Does a conservative law enforcement officer sanction his staff faking an assassination
attempt and then trying to frame some poor sap for the crime that didn't exist?

We'd scream bloody murder if we caught a liberal Justice Department trying stunts like
those. (And liberal Justice Departments have been known to pull comparable
stunts.) Why is it any less outrageous because a sheriff with an ill-fit reputation as
a conservative based on, mostly, one single issue, pulls stuff like that?

Wingnut

Does a conservative law enforcement officer either look the other way or dismiss four

Does a conservative law enforcement officer clear 75 percent of legitimate criminal cases
without investigations or arrests, even allowing for the rare case leading nowhere?

Does a conservative law enforcement officer have journalists and others arrested for no
crime other than investigating his dealings when the whiff of corruption becomes
a more pronounced odor?

Does a conservative law enforcement officer sic a private flatfoot on a judge's wife
for no better reason than that the judge is presiding over a contempt hearing involving
that officer?

Does a conservative law enforcement officer sanction his staff faking an assassination

If there was any real evidence of those actions he would have been prosecuted by the Obama DOJ lackeys.  Hell under Obumer who needs evidence.

Just a liberal which hunt.   

Offline driftdiver

a more pronounced odor?

that officer?

We'd scream bloody murder if we caught a liberal Justice Department trying stunts like
those. (And liberal Justice Departments have been known to pull comparable
stunts.) Why is it any less outrageous because a sheriff with an ill-fit reputation as
a conservative based on, mostly, one single issue, pulls stuff like that?

Yeah right.  It couldn't be a political witch hunt could it

Offline endicom

Arpaio has a point about the independence of sheriffs.

I was never impressed with the pink underwear and bologna sandwich stuff.

The other charges against him, like the 400 sex cases, need to be spelled out to have meaning.

Offline driftdiver

The other charges against him, like the 400 sex cases, need to be spelled out to have meaning.

Suddenly leftists care about sex crimes?

Offline EasyAce

The fake assassination attempt case happened in 1999 and was ultimately resolved in
2004---most of which time was the George W. Bush/Republican Capitol Hill regime.

The sex crimes in question occurred over a three-year period ending in 2007---including
the case of a disabled 13-year-old girl who may have been raped by her own uncle.

And Arpaio is said to have tried arresting reporters covering him well before the Obama
regime came into play.

I wouldn't exactly call those a liberal witch hunt. If anything, it looks like those in Arizona
responsible for overseeing county law enforcement agencies dropped more than one
ball.

Wingnut

The fake assassination attempt case happened in 1999 and was ultimately resolved in
2004---most of which time was the George W. Bush/Republican Capitol Hill regime.

The sex crimes in question occurred over a three-year period ending in 2007---including
the case of a disabled 13-year-old girl who may have been raped by her own uncle.

And Arpaio is said to have tried arresting reporters covering him well before the Obama
regime came into play.

I wouldn't exactly call those a liberal witch hunt. If anything, it looks like those in Arizona
responsible for overseeing county law enforcement agencies dropped more than one
ball.

Serious charges.  Joe must be some bad ass to have avoided prison time under 3 or 4 administrations..
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:03:54 pm by Wingnut »

Offline endicom

Serious charges.  Joe must be some bad ass to have avoided prison time under 3 or 4 administrations..

How many governors? As sheriff he should have a good deal of independence but not immunity.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Do you know why he introduced pink underwear and served bologna?  Built a tent city?  There was a reason, and it's why he was Sheriff for 24 years.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

How many governors? As sheriff he should have a good deal of independence but not immunity.
@endicom
During Arpaio's terms as sheriff (1993-2016), Arizona had five governors: four Republicans (Fife Symington,
Jane Dee Hull, Jan Brewer, and Doug Ducey) and one Democrat (Janet Napolitano, whose terms fell between
Hull's and Brewer's).

And you're right: A sheriff (or, for that matter, a chief of police, a commissioner) requires a particular
degree of independence, but never immunity. Law enforcement itself should never be above the
law.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:41:44 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@endicom
During Arpaio's terms as sheriff (1993-2016), Arizona had five governors: four Republicans (Fife Symington,
Jane Dee Hull, Jan Brewer, and Doug Ducey) and one Democrat (Janet Napolitano, whose terms fell between
Hull's and Brewer's).

And you're right: A sheriff (or, for that matter, a chief of police, a commissioner) requires a particular
degree of independence, but never immunity. Law enforcement itself should never be above the
law.

Then I wonder why he was never investigated?  The County Attorney from 1989 to 2004 was Rick Romley, who hated Arpaio.  It seems if there was a "there" there he would have been dee-lighted to press charges.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

Revisionist prosecution.  A tool of the left.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Revisionist prosecution.  A tool of the left.

It's worthy of note:  The crimes he's being accused of in the original post are not Federal crimes.  The AZ Attorney General can feel free to Prosecute Arpaio for them any time he wants.
I will NOT comply.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
If there was any real evidence of those actions he would have been prosecuted by the Obama DOJ lackeys.  Hell under Obumer who needs evidence.

Just a liberal which hunt.

The whiners don't have any real evidence.   Since when do they even need any to practice their usual politiks of personal (and political) destruction?  Since never.   The reality is....Trump did the right, and dare I say it (I dare, I dare)...the conservative thing, and pardoned Arpaio.  Let all the naysayers, liberal and pretenders and otherwise, SUCK on that reality....

while I point and laugh at them.

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I remember hearing about the so-called refusal or negligence to investigate some of those crimes before.  Perhaps if one is really interested, one can find previous articles on those.

Offline RoosGirl

This is a silly article.  He was pardoned for the contempt of court ruling and nothing else.  Did he do all those other things?  Maybe, but they have nothing to do with the pardon that so many people are in a tizzy over.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Some people still believe the complete BULLSHIT the media feeds them and they are going to do it no matter what. No use arguing with them.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Blizzardnh

Pot= kettle =black.

Offline skeeter

I'm fine with Arpaio. Like his attitude on illegals, its clear this judge was abusing his authority to railroad him for political reasons.

Until the Sheriff is arrested charged, tried and found guilty on the rest of that garbage I'll consider it all political subterfuge and BS. Since when do we form our opinions on rumor & innuendo.