Author Topic: Congress Quietly Passed A Bill Allowing Warrantless Searches of Homes - Only 1% Opposed It  (Read 1181 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

ZeroHedge
by Tyler Durden
Aug 27, 2017 8:39 AM

A bill that will allow homes to be searched without a warrant was passed with overwhelming support by the United States Congress, and signed into law by President Trump—and it happened with no media coverage and very little fanfare.

On the surface, House Joint Resolution 76 looks harmless. The title of the bill claims that its purpose is “Granting the consent and approval of Congress for the Commonwealth of Virginia, the State of Maryland, and the District of Columbia to enter into a compact relating to the establishment of the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission.”

“Whereas the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, an interstate compact agency of the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the State of Maryland, provides transportation services to millions of people each year, the safety of whom is paramount; Whereas an effective and safe Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority system is essential to the commerce and prosperity of the National Capital region; Whereas the Tri-State Oversight Committee, created by a memorandum of understanding amongst these 3 jurisdictions, has provided safety oversight of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.”
The proposal for a safety commission to act as a wing of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority may sound logical, when its power includes thing such as the ability to “Adopt, revise, and distribute a written State Safety Oversight Program” and to “Review, approve, oversee, and enforce the adoption and implementation of WMATA’s Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan.”

However, there is one major red flag buried within the text of the bill that stems from the list of “powers” given to the Washington Metrorail Safety Commission, and it violates one of the basic tenets of the U.S. Constitution.

(more)
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-26/congress-quietly-passed-bill-allowing-warrantless-searches-homes-only-1-opposed-it
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline RoosGirl

Oh what the heck, as long as you've got nothing to hide what's the big deal?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline ABX

I would bet you probably have 4-5 federal law or regulation violations in the room you are sitting in now. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

It's for the children.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

I would bet you probably have 4-5 federal law or regulation violations in the room you are sitting in now. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

No way, I'm completely up to code. :)

Wingnut

No way, I'm completely up to code. :)

It is my responsibility to enforce all the laws
That haven't been passed yet
It is also my responsibility to alert each and every one of you
To the potential consequences
Of various ordinary everyday activities
You might be performing which could eventually lead to
The death penalty - or affect your parents' credit rating...
Our criminal institutions are full of little creeps like you
Who do wrong things....

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
It's very specific in regards to transit safety inspections and accident investigations.  People are getting exercised over nothing.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Wingnut

It's very specific in regards to transit safety inspections and accident investigations.  People are getting exercised over nothing.

Don't knock leaping.  Its like pilates...only safer
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:45:39 pm by Wingnut »

Offline edpc

Don't knock leaping.  Its like pilates...only safer

Yes, but not the level of Shaun T's Insanity the article would have some believe.

It's very specific in regards to transit safety inspections and accident investigations. 

Today.

What's next?

You know government only moves in one direction.

On the bright side, at least we can trust our government to hold itself to ONLY transit safety inspections and accident investigations, and not,  for example decide it needs to hold a "safety inspections" when it really wants to see if you have anything in the house you might not have paid taxes on.

And they'd NEVER try to use this program as precedent.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It is fairly common for "true conservatives," to do that.

If they worry about everything, they find a few real problems.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

Today.

What's next?

You know government only moves in one direction.

On the bright side, at least we can trust our government to hold itself to ONLY transit safety inspections and accident investigations, and not,  for example decide it needs to hold a "safety inspections" when it really wants to see if you have anything in the house you might not have paid taxes on.

And they'd NEVER try to use this program as precedent.

This is no different than utility companies checking, testing, and repairing without needing your permission if an easement runs through your property.  It doesn't give them the right, however, to enter your home.

This is no different than utility companies checking, testing, and repairing without needing your permission if an easement runs through your property.  It doesn't give them the right, however, to enter your home.

I didn't read the whole thing, so maybe they make some exclusion some where, but...

"Enter upon the WMATA Rail System and, upon reasonable notice and a finding by the chief executive officer that a need exists, upon any lands, waters, and premises adjacent to the WMATA"

Offline ABX

I didn't read the whole thing, so maybe they make some exclusion some where, but...

"Enter upon the WMATA Rail System and, upon reasonable notice and a finding by the chief executive officer that a need exists, upon any lands, waters, and premises adjacent to the WMATA"

Exactly. This isn't like the electric company coming on your property to check the meter. Any property adjacent to any transit line (and the limit of adjacent seems to be used loosely) can be subject to no-warrant 'inspection'.

Of course, some will just blow this off because they don't think it impacts them. It is OK if it impacts others as long as it doesn't impact them (yet).

Offline edpc

Sure.  That would probably occur in the event of an accident if your buildings were positioned close to the line.  However, if you've got a train axel, dead bodies, or a toxic spill in your living room, a warrantless entry is down the list of your problems.

Wingnut

Sure.  That would probably occur in the event of an accident if your buildings were positioned close to the line.  However, if you've got a train axel, dead bodies, or a toxic spill in your living room, a warrantless entry is down the list of your problems.

Hey now....  I rebuild two of those three things.

Offline edpc

Hey now....  I rebuild two of those three things.

I suppose the toxic spill would explain a great deal.  :silly:

Offline RoosGirl

“In performing its duties, the Commission, through its Board or designated employees or agents, may:Enter upon the WMATA Rail System and, upon reasonable notice and a finding by the chief executive officer that a need exists, upon any lands, waters, and premises adjacent to the WMATA Rail System, including, without limitation, property owned or occupied by the federal government, for the purpose of making inspections, investigations, examinations, and testing as the Commission may deem necessary to carry out the purposes of this MSC Compact, and such entry shall not be deemed a trespass.”

So it's not exactly like a utility having access to their easement on your property.  It's like the phone company coming inside your home to check the wiring, possibly without you knowing they're coming in.

-abaraxas edit note, fix page error
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:48:05 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline edpc

So it's not exactly like a utility having access to their easement on your property.  It's like the phone company coming inside your home to check the wiring, possibly without you knowing they're coming in.

Yes, if the local junction switch is connected to your breaker box. Otherwise, you're just being ridiculous.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Yes, if the local junction switch is connected to your breaker box. Otherwise, you're just being ridiculous.

So it's ok if they do it sometimes.  It uses the words authorized agent.  That could be anyone for any reason.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

Right, because the government and government agencies never take advantage of the power they have.

Wingnut

I suppose the toxic spill would explain a great deal.  :silly:

It helps! 

Offline edpc

So it's ok if they do it sometimes.  It uses the words authorized agent.  That could be anyone for any reason.

Reread the post and look up hyperbole.  There's a connection.

Offline edpc

Right, because the government and government agencies never take advantage of the power they have.

Right - and people on internet forums don't engage in so much pearl clutching, it makes Japanese divers envious.