Author Topic: Ryan breaks with Trump on Arpaio pardon  (Read 4920 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Ryan breaks with Trump on Arpaio pardon
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2017, 06:38:58 pm »
I see your point.  Mine is that sometimes you have to look at history to see if it's OK or not, because history will throw some light on what can happen, whichever way the decision goes.  If there's a Pardon, what can happen?  If there isn't, what would happen differently?

I do agree that using Obama's Pardons to justify Trump's pardon is a little misleading along those lines.  The circumstances are very different.  Can you really compare Pardons of serial major drug dealers to the Pardon of a Sheriff who spent years working for the DEA in Mexico City?

Yeah, I get you.  As for comparing serial drug dealers or members of FALN to the Sherrif, there is none.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2017, 06:39:43 pm »
Baby,

The *Yawn* was the inspired part of my post!  Obummer meme was just a fart in his general direction, His mother smelt of tuna and his father was a hamster.

Honey, that's always the inspired part of your posts. ;P

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2017, 05:30:42 am »
Well, Federal law isn't even the question.  Treating someone differently based on ethnicity isn't enshrined in Federal law as acceptable, regardless.
Ethnicity? Illegal aliens come in all sizes shapes, and colors. They aren't all Mexican, by a long shot, although the mix might depend on what region you are in.

The distinguishing factor isn't race, it is that they are in the country illegally. Unless illegal is an ethnicity, it isn't fair to hide behind that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2017, 02:53:01 pm »
Ethnicity? Illegal aliens come in all sizes shapes, and colors. They aren't all Mexican, by a long shot, although the mix might depend on what region you are in.

The distinguishing factor isn't race, it is that they are in the country illegally. Unless illegal is an ethnicity, it isn't fair to hide behind that.

:thumbsup:

That's why the findings of him profiling those of Latino appearance/language was disturbing.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2017, 05:02:39 pm »
:thumbsup:

That's why the findings of him profiling those of Latino appearance/language was disturbing.
That works both ways. If the majority of illegal aliens in his area happen to be Latino, Latinos will likely get more scrutiny.

All he has to do is check everyone, though, and it isn't a question even of profiling.

If they were driving, they should have a license, to start with. Most jurisdictions require that you produce that license if stopped, and make provisions for taking you to jail if you can't and the identification information you provide doesn't check out. That's just doing the job they were hired to do.
If, in the process of verifying ID, it is found a person is here illegally, he didn't play catch and release with them. I'm okay with  that, too.

If the majority of those people are Latino, it might be that the majority of illegal aliens in the area are Latino.
It's like claiming police are picking on blacks when the majority of those arrested in a majority black area are blacks. That won't wash, either. In North Dakota, the majority of people arrested were white. Why? Mostly whites. Funny how that works.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »

LEO's are supposed to notice things that are true.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2017, 06:05:42 pm »
That works both ways. If the majority of illegal aliens in his area happen to be Latino, Latinos will likely get more scrutiny.

If the majority of those people are Latino, it might be that the majority of illegal aliens in the area are Latino.
It's like claiming police are picking on blacks when the majority of those arrested in a majority black area are blacks. That won't wash, either. In North Dakota, the majority of people arrested were white. Why? Mostly whites. Funny how that works.

Kinda shocking, isn't it, that the vast majority of illegal aliens in Phoenix are Latino.  It takes a Harvard boy to get that wrong.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2017, 06:08:42 pm »

I live here, so I don't find it the least bit disturbing.  In fact, I would find a failure to notice a thing like that to be far more disturbing.  It would be like watching somebody walking down the concourse of an airport with grenades hanging off his belt and ignoring it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2017, 06:09:12 pm »
Kinda shocking, isn't it, that the vast majority of illegal aliens in Phoenix are Latino.  It takes a Harvard boy to get that wrong.

It's like going to New York and running into a Muslum cabbie...  It happens!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2017, 06:22:37 pm »
It's like going to New York and running into a Muslum cabbie...  It happens!

I know.  It's weird.

I continue to be surprised at how many otherwise intelligent people seem shocked to hear about the demographics of this place.
I will NOT comply.