Author Topic: Replacing the Republican Party  (Read 34920 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Replacing the Republican Party
« Reply #600 on: August 24, 2017, 01:33:02 pm »
Trump gains more social conservative issues victories; more than any other president on some issues. Apparently, this is not a balanced debate and that is the most that can be said.  And certainly, Trump is more accomplished on conservative issues now than any of his competitors in 2016.

Trump defines some conservatism, the rest is whine and sour grapes.

Border security too; crossings down 47%; to deny these things is just to live on another planet. Foreign policy victories as well.
It is nice that the invasion trains have quit bringing tens of thousands to our borders. Keep in mind that that decrease is down from a high that was inflated by the policies and likely collusion of the last administration.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #601 on: August 24, 2017, 01:34:24 pm »
It is nice that the invasion trains have quit bringing tens of thousands to our borders. Keep in mind that that decrease is down from a high that was inflated by the policies and likely collusion of the last administration.

@Smokin Joe @TomSea

:amen:
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #602 on: August 24, 2017, 01:35:21 pm »
@Sanguine

You are either on drugs or have been dropped on your head a hundred times too many if you think an ethical conservative has ANY chance of being elected to federal office at this time. Being ethical automatically disqualifies you for public office these days,and that goes double for federal office.

Well, Pete, I am/was neither.  So, you might want to reexamine your suppositions.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #603 on: August 24, 2017, 01:35:57 pm »
I take it you don't get your news from CNN. Trump is a liberal who appeals to white supremacist. Listen to the echo and get with the program. Tune in, turn on, drop out.
Trump is one Republican. We're talking about replacing the GOPe that so many Trump supporters ranted about at length. Since most of the current office holders are GOPe and obstructing the very things President Trump said he'd do, you'd think Trump supporters would agree that changes need to be made, and if they won't change them in the GOP then maybe the Party should be replaced.

We aren't seeing the ACA go away, etc.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #604 on: August 24, 2017, 03:41:50 pm »
It can't be done.
There you go with little brains.

Of course it can be done.

What you should have said it may not be done.  That is accurate.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #605 on: August 24, 2017, 04:18:08 pm »
There you go with little brains.

Of course it can be done.

What you should have said it may not be done.  That is accurate.

Why can't all these supposed members merely change their party affiliation to something else?

Get the Freedom Caucus, for example, and other like minded people, have them group up, change their affiliation to the same thing. Say B, F, or D. And bod a bing, new party. Get Ted to head it up. They can face the wrath or praise of their constituency later.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:19:15 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #606 on: August 24, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »
Why can't all these supposed members merely change their party affiliation to something else?

Get the Freedom Caucus, for example, and other like minded people, have them group up, change their affiliation to the same thing. Say B, F, or D. And bod a bing, new party. Get Ted to head it up. They can face the wrath or praise of their constituency later.

Money.  They lose access to the honey pot and, I would imagine none are willing to risk their seat.   Maybe they haven't figured out that the millions of Conservatives who are going to sit home next year is a group ripe and ready to be led into a new paradigm of political opportunity.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #607 on: August 24, 2017, 04:48:56 pm »
Money.  They lose access to the honey pot and, I would imagine none are willing to risk their seat.   Maybe they haven't figured out that the millions of Conservatives who are going to sit home next year is a group ripe and ready to be led into a new paradigm of political opportunity.

That's certainly part of it.  In addition, qualifying for ballots is hundreds of times more difficult without the big Party stamp (and by "big" I mean at least as big as the Green Party).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #608 on: August 24, 2017, 04:51:39 pm »

That would be a start. They could even baby step it to be a caucus within a caucus, while making a serious effort to put together a structure and a solid fundraising arm to win primaries. Get a big enough block and you've got leverage.

They already have some of that established, now they need to expand.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #609 on: August 24, 2017, 04:55:14 pm »
That's certainly part of it.  In addition, qualifying for ballots is hundreds of times more difficult without the big Party stamp (and by "big" I mean at least as big as the Green Party).

It is nearly impossible to get your name on the ballot in Texas as an independent!  And that is not by accident!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

« Reply #610 on: August 24, 2017, 05:25:24 pm »

If conservatives can't leave the GOP because they would lose access to the honey pot and the Rats would become the majority party the only alternative is to force the Pubs to institute the same party discipline that the Rats exercise. The only way to do this is to punish the Pubs for failing to keep their promises. How do we do that? We sit out the elections if conservatives aren't successful in the primaries.

IOW, it's time to treat the Pubs like the liars and cheats they are, shun them.

I think the Pubs can weather the storm for a couple elections because the Rats are insane, but eventually it will catch up to them and they will be the minority party. At this point I don't really care. What's the point in electing someone who won't represent you.

It's been a surprise to me that it is Pres. Trump who has been trying to keep his promises and the Pub party that won't support the platform they ran on.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

« Reply #611 on: August 24, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
If conservatives can't leave the GOP because they would lose access to the honey pot and the Rats would become the majority party the only alternative is to force the Pubs to institute the same party discipline that the Rats exercise. The only way to do this is to punish the Pubs for failing to keep their promises. How do we do that? We sit out the elections if conservatives aren't successful in the primaries.

IOW, it's time to treat the Pubs like the liars and cheats they are, shun them.

I think the Pubs can weather the storm for a couple elections because the Rats are insane, but eventually it will catch up to them and they will be the minority party. At this point I don't really care. What's the point in electing someone who won't represent you.

It's been a surprise to me that it is Pres. Trump who has been trying to keep his promises and the Pub party that won't support the platform they ran on.

At this point, except for a select few in Congress, what difference does it really make who we vote for?  The result is the same; blame games and a bunch of hollow promises.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #612 on: August 24, 2017, 07:00:12 pm »
It is nearly impossible to get your name on the ballot in Texas as an independent!  And that is not by accident!

That's what people don't seem to be understanding; it is much more difficult for an Independent to qualify to have their name put on the ballot.

If we take the Constitution Party as an example; right now they are trying to get on the ballot for 2018.  So far they are on the ballot in 14 states, 2 states waiting on signatures, meaning they haven't been able to get on the ballot yet in 36 states.  In 2016, they were on the ballot in 23 states, 22 states as write in - and 5 states not on the ballot.

Logically, if you can't get on the ballot or states won't accept you as a write in candidate, the odds are nearly impossible that you will win.

https://www.constitutionparty.com/elections/ballot-access/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Party_(United_States)#/media/File:Constitution_Party_ballot_access_(2016).svg

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #613 on: August 24, 2017, 07:05:05 pm »

But what does that get you?  You've now got a small rump party of hardcore conservatives who still don't have enough votes in Congress to control anything.  And future elections would become a three way race between Democrats, Republicans, and the New Freedom Party, with former Republicans splitting their votes between the latter two.  How does that not result in a lot more Democrats winning elections?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #614 on: August 24, 2017, 07:19:02 pm »
But what does that get you?  You've now got a small rump party of hardcore conservatives who still don't have enough votes in Congress to control anything.  And future elections would become a three way race between Democrats, Republicans, and the New Freedom Party, with former Republicans splitting their votes between the latter two.  How does that not result in a lot more Democrats winning elections?

Yes, and even IF by some miracle a 3rd party candidate is seated in the oval office, they are still contending with the liberals and RINO's still remaining in Congress.  The obstructionism from the 2 other parties would be enormous. 

As I previously stated, until such time that a shift to a 3rd party emerges, I will continue to support conservatives and refrain from supporting the GOP itself.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #615 on: August 24, 2017, 07:21:24 pm »

I suppose the hope is that the Republicans would recognize the problem and start compromising and/or moving to the right and/or go extinct.

I mean, we do have compromise today.  We give the moderates our money and votes, and in return they allow us to give them our money and votes.  But an alternative form where they actually try things are way once in a while (or even once) would be nice.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #616 on: August 24, 2017, 07:23:00 pm »

A good-government constitutionalist can dream can't he?

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #617 on: August 24, 2017, 07:29:34 pm »

As opposed to now when we have democrats posing as republicans winning elections?  At least we would have one honest party.
God is still in control

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #618 on: August 24, 2017, 07:31:39 pm »
Now after 600 posts, virtually NO discussion about ADMITTING TO THE PISS POOR JOB, of convincing Voters, of the need for MORE CONSERVATIVE POLICIES AND OFFICE HOLDERS.

key words: CONVINCING, VOTERS

What is the point, of a new vessel to house the same old shortcomings? A smaller vessel, with less money and fewer members?

Common sense is not common any more. Too many "true conservatives" are logic and math challenged.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #619 on: August 24, 2017, 07:34:01 pm »
Now after 600 posts, virtually NO discussion about ADMITTING TO THE PISS POOR JOB, of convincing Voters, of the need for MORE CONSERVATIVE POLICIES AND OFFICE HOLDERS.

What is the point, of a new vessel to house the same old shortcomings? A smaller vessel, with less money and fewer members?

Common sense is not common any more. Too many "true conservatives" are logic and math challenged.

Its been mentioned.  You just missed it.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #620 on: August 24, 2017, 08:29:18 pm »

This logic is hugely disingenuous.  Conservatives and Republicans handed the GOP the reins of power because they CAMPAIGNED on ridding us of Socialism, ObamaCare and implementing Conservative principles and ideals.

They have REFUSED to do so. Instead they attempted to tweak Obama's agenda by burning their own name of ownership into it and expand it, while pretending to ease the pain and suffering Obamacare's mechanisms have wrought.

Voting Republican has only illustrated that the voters have elected Democrats running as Republicans.  What difference does it make if more Democrats win elections - given we are being handed the same results when voters handed the GOP the majority.

No, what was perpetrated on the voters was FRAUD.  They voted for pretend Conservative Republicans and got "moderate" Democrats imposing policy instead.

At least the Democrats know and understand what they get with their vote.  Republicans..... get a liberal agenda passed and Conservative measures stalled out and blocked.

So we're better off voting for actual Conservatives in a new party, or vote Democrat and get the same thing you would get voting for a Republican.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #621 on: August 24, 2017, 08:44:06 pm »

There is truth to this statement.  More than half the population WANTS Communism/Socialism. Convincing them of their interests in voting for Conservative principles is something not seen from the GOP since Reagan.  The fact is the GOP cannot convince anyone of voting for Conservative policies, because THEY do not believe in those principles themselves. They believe in the same thing Democrats do: bigger, larger but 'better managed' Big Government Collectivism.

We will not be voting for frauds.  We will not be voting for Liberal Democrats running as Republicans.  We will not be voting for people who are beholden to K Street lobbyists and who hold us in contempt if we dare try to hold their feet to the fire of the campaign they ran on.

Because that is all it is to people like you - a game.  Another sporting event.  Numbers and gerrymandering to get a 'win' in terms of who sits in a seat, when the fruits do not match up.

Principles trump winning for winning's sake - which is all you got - and little to show for it.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #622 on: August 24, 2017, 08:57:23 pm »
The conservative wing is going to have to raise huge money to support both new and existing candidates, and it's going to have to network with conservative PACS to bolster those numbers.

That done, you have the ability to create a wing of the party with clout to affect legislation. That's where it needs to start.
The Republic is lost.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #623 on: August 24, 2017, 09:30:31 pm »
The conservative wing is going to have to raise huge money to support both new and existing candidates, and it's going to have to network with conservative PACS to bolster those numbers.

That done, you have the ability to create a wing of the party with clout to affect legislation. That's where it needs to start.

Probably.

Perhaps(?) equally important would be finding ways to use the money they raise more effectively.

I don't know how much the POTUS candidates spent this time around.  Last time I was hearing near a billion each, so let's call it $630 million.  That's $10 per vote.  But not really.  Most people are going to vote on party, so the real question, IMO, is how much the candidates spent for every voter that they were able to convince to vote for them.  Now that $/vote number is much larger.

And I happen to think most of that is wasted anyway.  How many times per day do you have to see the same ad?  How many fliers do we throw away with the rest of the junk mail?  I'm not by any means an expert here -- but then if I was people would be paying me for my opinion, which just might be to keep giving me more money to advise you on spending what's left, kind of like your broker, I don't care if you buy or sell, just do something so I get a commission.

I think Trump is probably a case in point.  Between twitter and manipulating the media, I bet he ran a pretty darn tight campaign (except when paying himself and family).  President Twitter?  I wouldn't be surprised if that takes off once the history books are written.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #624 on: August 24, 2017, 09:39:52 pm »

You have that small group. I think it could be a significant group by the time some of those people are up for reelection. If a senator has 3,4, or 5 years, even 2, to work on it, things can change.

I'm not the type of person you can tell it can't be done. It can be done. And a lot faster than people who think otherwise believe.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley