Author Topic: “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” to be Deleted  (Read 1638 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
“The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” to be Deleted
« on: August 18, 2017, 01:23:05 pm »
“The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” to be Deleted

https://www.cinchreview.com/night-drove-old-dixie-deleted/16444/

It’s news that will lift very many hearts in these challenging and turbulent times. Robbie Robertson has announced that the song, “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,” first recorded and released by The Band in 1969, will be banned from all future sale, in whatever form. The original master tapes of all of The Band’s performances of it are to be destroyed. There will be no further publishing rights granted to any artist under any circumstances. Although it will take some time, the song is to be erased, as if it never existed in the first place.

This is a great thing, because there’s no justification for this kind of drivel any more. America is finally growing up. We know now that there can be no sympathy for any individual caught in the waves of history, trying in his flawed way to do his best and make his way through it with some shred of humanity intact. We know that we must squarely acknowledge only what is worst in that person, only those things about which he was mistaken, and we need to rip down the memory of anything redeemable about him, and, to the extent practically possible, we are morally obliged to defile his grave.
exc
--------------------

Satire, though rarely successful these days, is not a lost art
@LonestarDream
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:48:38 pm by don-o »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” to be Deleted
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 01:23:08 am »
Almost had conniptions... until I read down at the bottom.

Otherwise, Levon Helm must be rollin' in his grave.
(I've been to Levon's grave in the Woodstock cemetery to pay my respects, Rick Danko is there, too).

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:32:03 am »

Amen.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:02:03 am »

Amen.

In other (fake) news, Sheila Jackson-Lee is changing her name to Sheila X, to rid herself of her "racist last names.

In Munich, Angela Merkel has ordered the bulldozing of Dachau, Flossenburg, and all remaining concentration camps on German soil: "it's been over 70 years since WWII ended, time to move forward and look to the future."
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 02:06:05 am »
Thank goodness it's satire. I even like Joan Baez's version.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 02:15:52 am »

Hate to admit it.   And it pains me but....  Yep

Will not do the preview for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_eK9ERNChI
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:21:16 am by Wingnut »

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 02:26:22 am »

"During the Christmas season 1972, Baez joined a peace delegation traveling to North Vietnam, both to address human rights in the region, and to deliver Christmas mail to American prisoners of war. During her time there, she was caught in the U.S. military's "Christmas bombing" of Hanoi, North Vietnam, during which the city was bombed for eleven straight days.

Her disquiet at the human-rights violations of communist Vietnam made her increasingly critical of its government and she organized the May 30, 1979, publication of a full-page advertisement (published in four major U.S. newspapers)[59] in which the communists were described as having created a nightmare."

"In May 1989, Baez performed at a music festival in communist Czechoslovakia called Bratislavská lýra. While there, she met future Czechoslovakian president Václav Havel, whom she let carry her guitar so as to prevent his arrest by government agents. During her performance, she greeted members of Charter 77, a dissident human-rights group, which resulted in her microphone being shut off abruptly. Baez then proceeded to sing a cappella for the nearly four thousand gathered. Havel cited her as a great inspiration and influence in that country's Velvet Revolution, the revolution in which the Soviet-dominated communist government there was overthrown."

More... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Baez

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 02:31:24 pm »
If I remember the story correctly Levon Helm wrote the song.  But like all the songs from The Band Robertson took credit for the writing and therefore received all the royalties.  The other band members didn't realize how the royalty system worked and didn't see a problem with Robertson taking the credit.  Most songs were a collaboration anyway.

Levon Helm died broke about a years ago.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 09:41:49 pm »
If I remember the story correctly Levon Helm wrote the song.  But like all the songs from The Band Robertson took credit for the writing and therefore received all the royalties.  The other band members didn't realize how the royalty system worked and didn't see a problem with Robertson taking the credit.  Most songs were a collaboration anyway.

Levon Helm died broke about a years ago.
Levon Helm himself said he didn't write the song but he brought Robbie Robertson to libraries to help him with
historical and geographical research as Robertson wrote the lyrics. There were others Helm probably did write,
but even he said "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" wasn't one of them.

And while Helm trashed Robertson in his memoir, Robertson in his memoir was mostly affectionate and
praising toward Helm with one exception: when Helm lied to him about kicking heroin: "Things changed in that
moment. A distance grew between Levon and me that I don't know if we were ever able to mend."

Charming revelation from Robbie Robertson: he got the first line of maybe his greatest song when he was
fiddling with his acoustic guitar and saw the sticker through the sound hole saying it was made in Nazareth,
Pennsylvania . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vlNdfSyi-8

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 02:22:23 am »
Hondo wrote:
"If I remember the story correctly Levon Helm wrote the song.  But like all the songs from The Band Robertson took credit for the writing and therefore received all the royalties.  The other band members didn't realize how the royalty system worked and didn't see a problem with Robertson taking the credit.  Most songs were a collaboration anyway.
Levon Helm died broke about a years ago."

Robertson wrote the song, but he certainly got much of the ideas in it from Levon.

What happened -- and why there was so much vitriol between Robbie and Levon -- was as you said. Robbie (who held the writer's credit for almost all the songs, even though the other members may have collaborated) as the writer, got the royalties for such. And that amounted to most of the income in later years after "The Last Waltz" in 1976.

After the group had broken up, Robbie "bought out" the remaining rights Rick Danko, Richard Manuel and Garth Hudson had to The Band's future earnings (for a fee, of course). Levon refused to sell his rights, and kept them until he died.

I don't think Levon was totally broke at the time of his death. He'd garnered a Grammy for "Dirt Farmer", and he still had some income from performances with The Levon Helm Band and from the "Midnight Rambles" he held at his home on Plochman Road in Woodstock. He certainly wasn't well-off (anymore), though.

But he had a good run in this life. Folks still leave notes at the grave.

Mad Max

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 04:00:14 am »
A total shame. One of favorites.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:05:43 am by Mad Max »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 04:04:36 am »

"In May 1989, Baez performed at a music festival in communist Czechoslovakia called Bratislavská lýra. While there, she met future Czechoslovakian president Václav Havel, whom she let carry her guitar so as to prevent his arrest by government agents. During her performance, she greeted members of Charter 77, a dissident human-rights group, which resulted in her microphone being shut off abruptly. Baez then proceeded to sing a cappella for the nearly four thousand gathered. Havel cited her as a great inspiration and influence in that country's Velvet Revolution, the revolution in which the Soviet-dominated communist government there was overthrown."

More... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Baez

Joan deserves a lot of credit there.  The Left isn't kind to those who stray from the Party Line.

Offline endicom

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 04:13:20 am »
Joan deserves a lot of credit there.  The Left isn't kind to those who stray from the Party Line.

I began giving her credit when she accepted some responsibility for the actions of the communist government in Vietnam. As I recall it, she tried to get others to join her in trying to moderate that government but got little response.

That's as I recall it. It's been a long time.

Mad Max

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 04:13:21 am »
A total shame. One of favorites.

The A-Side which contained "Up on Cripple Creek" is another timeless song by "The Band".

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 05:55:15 am »
Satire...damn I was figuring out how I could buy up a bunch of copies and use them for my kids college fund...oh well 22222frying pan