Author Topic: The five kinds of Republicans who could primary Trump  (Read 2809 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The five kinds of Republicans who could primary Trump
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:49:14 pm »
The five kinds of Republicans who could primary Trump
By Jonathan Easley and Scott Wong - 08/07/17 05:28 PM EDT

President Trump’s low favorability rating and the ongoing probes into Russian election meddling have ignited speculation that he could be the first sitting president to face a primary challenge since George. H.W. Bush beat back conservative firebrand Pat Buchanan in 1992.

Most party strategists say a challenge to the incumbent president from within Trump's orbit is unlikely in 2020.

The blunt-talking commander-in-chief remains popular among Republican voters, and GOP leaders and conservatives on Capitol Hill have largely stood by their controversial standard bearer.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/345656-the-five-kinds-of-republicans-who-could-primary-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: The five kinds of Republicans who could primary Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:06:07 pm »
I think there will probably be a couple Republicans primary him...especially if he continues the rudderless insanity he's overseeing right now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »
Too early and too ridiculous to listen to Democrat Operatives at the Hill tell Republicans who to choose as primary contenders in 2020.

Of the five kinds of Republicans that can supposedly challenge both Trump and the GOP Oligarchy, a Conservative isn't one of them.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:07 pm »
Too early and too ridiculous to listen to Democrat Operatives at the Hill tell Republicans who to choose as primary contenders in 2020.

Of the five kinds of Republicans that can supposedly challenge both Trump and the GOP Oligarchy, a Conservative isn't one of them.

Nor would one be allowed to challenge.  This last election has proven that even Republicans don't want a country governed by the Constitution.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:16:40 pm »
Unless things change significantly, I suspect there will be many GOP challengers for 2020, and I can't imagine one I wouldn't support.   :hands:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:22:22 pm »
John Kasich, Egg McMuffin.

But they will not be able to fault Trump over pursuit of a genuinely conservative agenda, or by then many accomplishments.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:57 pm »

But they will not be able to fault Trump over pursuit of a genuinely conservative agenda, or by then many accomplishments.

It's nice to have a dream I guess.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:16:30 am »
John Kasich, Egg McMuffin.

:bigsilly:

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 12:30:20 am »
   Trump's gonna have to be in pretty deep dodo for his OWN party to run a successful primary challenge against him, I just don't see it, it's pretty much his ball, his court and most importantly HIS rules.  If Cruz stays in the GOP he won't do it, but, like most of you Briefers, I agree. it's way to early for such speculation as it is in any polling.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 12:31:28 am »
   Trump's gonna have to be in pretty deep dodo for his OWN party to run a successful primary challenge against him, I just don't see it, it's pretty much his ball, his court and most importantly HIS rules.  If Cruz stays in the GOP he won't do it, but, like most of you Briefers, I agree. it's way to early for such speculation as it is in any polling.

If Trump continues to be the same Trump who's in the White House now, it'll be a no-brainer.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 12:38:45 am »
If Trump continues to be the same Trump who's in the White House now, it'll be a no-brainer.

Says the one who swore Donald Trump would not win the nomination and then went on to double-dog swear Donald Trump would not win the election. 

Take the posted "no-brainer" with a shovel of salt.

Mad Max

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 12:41:09 am »
I voted for Trump and I would do it again.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 12:42:05 am »

If they were willing to fix the rules of the convention for him, there's no way they will allow a primary challenger.

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 12:42:08 am »

I agree @Oceander but if Trump decides to stay regardless of his poll numbers and fight for it, I don't believe Sen. Cruz would fight him in his OWN Party, again.
    I can see the National Enquirer headline now Heidi Cruz's Great Grandfather orchestrated 'Donner Pass' tragedy.

Tell Trump "after my reelection in 2018 I'll have more 'flexibility'"

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 12:43:16 am »
Says the one who swore Donald Trump would not win the nomination and then went on to double-dog swear Donald Trump would not win the election. 

Take the posted "no-brainer" with a shovel of salt.

You're correct inasmuch as I overestimated the intelligence of the people who voted for Trump by several orders of magnitude.  I'm an optimist, I suppose, hoping that those people will redeem themselves and come to their senses.  But as you illustrate perfectly, I'm probably giving too much credit where it's not due once again. 

No doubt the Trump voters will double down on their stupid in 2020.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 12:44:42 am »
    I agree @Oceander but if Trump decides to stay regardless of his poll numbers and fight for it, I don't believe Sen. Cruz would fight him in his OWN Party, again.
    I can see the National Enquirer headline now Heidi Cruz's Great Grandfather orchestrated 'Donner Pass' tragedy.

Tell Trump "after my reelection in 2018 I'll have more 'flexibility'"

I don't think Cruz would succeed, quite honestly.  As between the two, he's better, but he has a lot of negatives, too. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 12:47:28 am »
You're correct inasmuch as I overestimated the intelligence of the people who voted for Trump by several orders of magnitude.  I'm an optimist, I suppose, hoping that those people will redeem themselves and come to their senses.  But as you illustrate perfectly, I'm probably giving too much credit where it's not due once again. 

No doubt the Trump voters will double down on their stupid in 2020. 

/snicker

Oceander

Offline corbe

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 01:01:56 am »
I don't think Cruz would succeed, quite honestly.  As between the two, he's better, but he has a lot of negatives, too. 

I'm a Cruzbot here, as I'm sure you figured, @Oceander so I am certainly guilty of wearing the same blinders to the deficiencies of Sen. Cruz's Character as the Trumpers are to our President, I am willing to admit that. 
   The GOP is practically hopeless, beyond saving, IMHO and a 3rd party run seems more bleaker with each passing day, times a wasting.  After the Midterms things should start stirring, hopefully.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 01:22:18 am »

Trump is the same President as Trump the candidate.  I disliked him so vehemently in the primaries that, believe me, I am way too familiar with every nasty thing he's ever done.

However, he has been a better President than I expected.  He's continued to espouse the same conservative agenda he ran on.  He's not a detail guy and cannot be expected to personally write a health care bill or a budget, but he has people to do that.  Or would have if he would listen to them or not fire them.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think the firings may be almost over if Kelly turns out to be the guy we think and hope he is.

There is no reason whatever at this point in time to impeach the man.  It's a damp dream of liberals and a few people here.

I don't think he'll admit it until he has to, but I really don't think he'll want to run again.  It's a much more restricted lifestyle than he's used to and a lot more work than he expected.  He's not as lazy a president as Obama was but it's still work.

But, aside from disgust at his tweets and inter-office feuds and blunders, I'm not sure what he's done that's so wrong.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 01:34:15 am »
However, he has been a better President than I expected. 

WOW!  And to think I had an outstanding bet of $1000 that I wouldn't hear this outside of a mental institution.   :laugh:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 01:54:22 am »
WOW!  And to think I had an outstanding bet of $1000 that I wouldn't hear this outside of a mental institution.   :laugh:

Pony up, then. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 01:56:31 am »

Seriously, though.  Most of his missteps have been because he is dumb and proves it when he tweets.

But as far as positions he's taken, appointments he's made and things that matter, not sure why he's being so abused.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 01:59:47 am »
Seriously, though.  Most of his missteps have been because he is dumb and proves it when he tweets.

But as far as positions he's taken, appointments he's made and things that matter, not sure why he's being so abused.

The only chance to beat Trump is to convince people, that your stances on the issues are the same as Trump's but you will more effective in getting them implemented.   Limp noodles, like K-Suck, aren't going to do it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:03:33 am by dfwgator »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 02:01:53 am »

I think he's abused because he largely comes across as an egomaniac and/or sociopath and/or narcissist.   Hope that helps.