Author Topic: Trump turns on GOP Congress  (Read 2677 times)

Offline libertybele

Re: Trump turns on GOP Congress
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 05:33:11 pm »
Stop complaining, Mr. President, and start doing.  Eliminate the congressional subsidy under Obamacare.  So far, I haven't seen much action to match your bluster.

I agree, except I'm not sure that Trump realizes some of the avenues that could be taken.  Both Cruz ad Paul have met with him and obviously he refused to listen awhile ago. His technique for making deals has much to be desired.  Obviously what may have worked in business isn't working in government.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 05:34:43 pm »
I agree, except I'm not sure that Trump realizes some of the avenues that could be taken.  Both Cruz ad Paul have met with him and obviously he refused to listen awhile ago. His technique for making deals has much to be desired.  Obviously what may have worked in business isn't working in government.

I think it was a mistake to address Health Care so early in his Presidency.    He should have picked the "low-hanging fruit" first to build up some credibility, and then tackle Health Care. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 05:35:48 pm »
Great deal-making technique.  Attacking those you want something from has worked so well so far, doofus.

Yeah, well, not attacking them hasn't worked very well either.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 05:37:18 pm »
Yeah, well, not attacking them hasn't worked very well either.

Since he hasn't engaged with them either or tried to build momentum for change, he's nothing more than a passive patsy crying sour grapes now. 

What a waste. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »
We attack them @Rivergirl .... are you suggesting we have donated to democrats?

Until 5 years ago, Trump donated to democrats, but he always donated more to Republicans and he never donated 'millions' to anybody.  His lifetime political donations are only a little more than ONE million dollars.

Oceander

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 05:42:51 pm »
Until 5 years ago, Trump donated to democrats, but he always donated more to Republicans and he never donated 'millions' to anybody.  His lifetime political donations are only a little more than ONE million dollars.

So he's a rank opportunist who supports whomever he thinks can help him more.  Don't say you weren't warned when he teams up with the democrats after the 2018 midterms. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 05:43:44 pm »
So he's a rank opportunist who supports whomever he thinks can help him more. 

Just like 99.9% of all politicians, on both sides of the aisle.

Oceander

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 05:46:17 pm »
Just like 99.9% of all politicians, on both sides of the aisle.

/snicker

Offline bilo

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 06:10:09 pm »
Great deal-making technique.  Attacking those you want something from has worked so well so far, doofus.

I have started sympathizing with Pres. Trump because after he took office he staffed the WH with a fair number of Pub party faithful and he gave the congressional leaders a lot of flexibility in how they wanted to get rid of obamacare and do tax reform. He made a fair number of missteps, attacking the House Freedom Caucus being one, but he left it up to Ryan & McConnell to get the bills to his desk. The Pub party failed him. He didn't fail the Pub party.

I think it's unlikely the Pub party can get anything meaningful done. Pres. Trump is going to get some good judges appointed. He will cut lots of regulations. He will modernize a lot of the military bureaucracy. He will do okay with foreign policy. He won't achieve any major conservative legislation and the Pubs will lose at least one of the houses if not both by 2020.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 06:12:11 pm »
Stop complaining, Mr. President, and start doing.  Eliminate the congressional subsidy under Obamacare.  So far, I haven't seen much action to match your bluster.

:amen:

Offline bilo

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 06:14:40 pm »
Yes, people want ObamaCare repealed,  we get that.

The problem is, what is Trump proposing to replace it with,  does he have any idea?  Or did he just want to take the credit for repealing ObamaCare, and to him, it didn't matter what Congress came up with, as long as he could say that he repealed ObamaCare.

Why is it that Pres Trump is expected to come up with the legislation? He has no legislative experience.

It is the Pub party that promised to repeal it for 7 years. Why weren't they ready?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 06:21:28 pm »
So he's a rank opportunist who supports whomever he thinks can help him more.  Don't say you weren't warned when he teams up with the democrats after the 2018 midterms.

Well, yes, when he was in business he donated to whoever might help whatever cause he was pursuing. 

Don't say you weren't warned when he DOES NOT team up with democrats after the midterms.  What possible advantage would there be for doing so?

It's okay not to trust Trump but it's not okay to be bonkers about it.

Offline bilo

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »
The sad truth is both parties want Single-Payer, and Trump is on the record as praising the Canadian System.

I believe the govt already pays more for health care as a % of the budget with Medicare & Medicaid than countries with single payer. IOW, if we are to keep the same benefits it will bankrupt the country. If single payer is going to only be forced on Medicaid, Medicare, the self employed and individual health insurance buyers it's going to cripple the economy because small business will shrink dramatically. Forcing single payer on Medicaid, Medicare, small business and individual health insurance buyers will also  lead to higher death rates because benefits will have to be cut and wait times for proceedures will dramatically increase and the economy will suffer dramatically because business will contract.

65,000 Canadians cross the border every year for health care! They have a single payer system and it is a disaster.

Talk to Charlie Gard's parents about what the end result of a single payer system is. It's strangers making life and death decisions for your child.

Offline bilo

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2017, 06:43:06 pm »
So he's a rank opportunist who supports whomever he thinks can help him more. Don't say you weren't warned when he teams up with the democrats after the 2018 midterms.

As a Cruz supporter I along with a lot of others made that argument. Once he was elected I wanted to hope for the best. I thought he started out well with most of his cabinet picks and I thought having a VP who is a Pub party establishment type as well as the same in his Chief of Staff would work with the establishment types in DC and in getting legislation done. IOW, it wasn't Pres. Trump who didn't try to work with the Pub party. It was the Pub party that failed to work with a Pub President.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
I knew he would live in chaos he created as he has created it every day of his life. 

Yep. I can't speak to his mental state, but I do see chaos creation as being part of his con - How he plays people... He lives in chaos, and functions in it, and knows that most people are at least made uncomfortable and distracted by it. Discomfort and distraction are ever-present tools that cons of any flavor rely upon, though as a rule, on nowhere near the scale that Trump generates.

I have Fibromyalgia.  I have a set pattern of behavior every morning dealing with that.  I have a one cup coffee maker.  it makes one cup really fast.  I do nothing until that cup is made and I drink it.  By that time, my muscles have settled down and stop hurting.  Don't mess with my pattern of behavior or I will have to kill you.   :nono:

I too, am a creature of habit. I love my ruts, and rarely leave them... Odd that, because I also love a new game... A big game... which necessarily causes me to come out of my ruts. And I function very well without them - Even in total chaos - they just tend to be my preference.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 07:06:29 pm »
As a Cruz supporter I along with a lot of others made that argument. Once he was elected I wanted to hope for the best. I thought he started out well with most of his cabinet picks and I thought having a VP who is a Pub party establishment type as well as the same in his Chief of Staff would work with the establishment types in DC and in getting legislation done. IOW, it wasn't Pres. Trump who didn't try to work with the Pub party. It was the Pub party that failed to work with a Pub President.

All too true.

I think we'd have a very different opinion of Trump right now if the Republicans had worked with him on the issues.  They did not.  Also, they should have put a firm lid on all this Russian speculation that has been nothing but a distraction and an attempt to hurt Trump.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 07:08:58 pm »
Trump's approval ratings may be low, but you can bet the approval ratings for Congress are even lower.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2017, 07:09:50 pm »
All too true.

I think we'd have a very different opinion of Trump right now if the Republicans had worked with him on the issues.  They did not.  Also, they should have put a firm lid on all this Russian speculation that has been nothing but a distraction and an attempt to hurt Trump.

Neither the Pubs or the Pres tried very hard to work together. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2017, 07:11:07 pm »
Trump's approval ratings may be low, but you can bet the approval ratings for Congress are even lower.

People can be oddly blind when it comes to their congressional candidates.  How else does one account for McCain, McConnell and Collins (and others)

It will be interesting to see how the 2018 elections turn out.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2017, 07:12:31 pm »
Neither the Pubs or the Pres tried very hard to work together.

I think Trump tried harder.  He invited many Senators over to chat and discuss matters.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2017, 07:21:50 pm »
I think Trump tried harder.  He invited many Senators over to chat and discuss matters.

And, the senators came and chatted back.  We disagree on this one, @Emjay

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2017, 07:50:54 pm »
And, the senators came and chatted back.  We disagree on this one, @Emjay.

That's okay.  I know very little about the actual interactions between Trump and the Senators.  I guess I let my prejudice against the senators affect my views.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2017, 08:06:43 pm »
That's okay.  I know very little about the actual interactions between Trump and the Senators.  I guess I let my prejudice against the senators affect my views.

I'm pretty p$$$$d at both sides at this point.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2017, 08:32:21 pm »
This is an email I received today.  I'm convinced all he wants to do is campaign and hold rallies for the next 3.5 years.  Hard to take him seriously.

Politicians have spent too much time bickering and not enough time listening. Enough!

I want to hear from YOU.

I want to hear from the American heartland -- the REAL America that lives outside of the DC-media fantasy bubble.

Now that we’ve passed the six-month mark of our presidency, I want you to take the Listening to America Survey to tell me the true sentiments, concerns, and interests of REAL America.

The mainstream media and Hollywood love to tell you “how America is feeling.” But they know nothing. They live in a world where you get to keep your job even if you fail to get anything done.

It’s time to tune them out. It’s time to shut off the noise and just LISTEN.

Just like on the campaign, I always like to go directly to the people. I asked our supporters to help prepare for our three big debates against Hillary. I asked what issues we should address. I asked for help creating our platform.

So please take this moment to turn off the very loud noise of Washington and take the Listening to America Survey.

Thank you,

Donald J. Trump
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:34:13 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2017, 08:47:20 pm »
This is an email I received today.  I'm convinced all he wants to do is campaign and hold rallies for the next 3.5 years.  Hard to take him seriously.

Politicians have spent too much time bickering and not enough time listening. Enough!

I want to hear from YOU.

I want to hear from the American heartland -- the REAL America that lives outside of the DC-media fantasy bubble.

Now that we’ve passed the six-month mark of our presidency, I want you to take the Listening to America Survey to tell me the true sentiments, concerns, and interests of REAL America.

The mainstream media and Hollywood love to tell you “how America is feeling.” But they know nothing. They live in a world where you get to keep your job even if you fail to get anything done.

It’s time to tune them out. It’s time to shut off the noise and just LISTEN.

Just like on the campaign, I always like to go directly to the people. I asked our supporters to help prepare for our three big debates against Hillary. I asked what issues we should address. I asked for help creating our platform.

So please take this moment to turn off the very loud noise of Washington and take the Listening to America Survey.

Thank you,

Donald J. Trump

I see nothing whatever wrong with that.  Why don't you let Trump hear from you instead of just insulting him from afar.