Author Topic: Senator John McCain has a brain tumor, his office says  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Just_Victor

Senator John McCain has a brain tumor, his office says
« on: July 20, 2017, 12:16:35 am »
Source: CNBC
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/19/senator-john-mccain-has-a-brain-tumor-his-office-says.html

U.S. Senator John McCain was found to have a brain tumor, his office said in a Wednesday statement.

Here's the statement:

Washington, D.C. ­– At the request of Senator John McCain (R-AZ) and his family, Mayo Clinic released the following statement today:

"On Friday, July 14, Sen. John McCain underwent a procedure to remove a blood clot from above his left eye at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix. Subsequent tissue pathology revealed that a primary brain tumor known as a glioblastoma was associated with the blood clot.

"Scanning done since the procedure (a minimally invasive craniotomy with an eyebrow incision) shows that the tissue of concern was completely resected by imaging criteria.

"The Senator and his family are reviewing further treatment options with his Mayo Clinic care team. Treatment options may include a combination of chemotherapy and radiation.

"The Senator's doctors say he is recovering from his surgery 'amazingly well' and his underlying health is excellent."

The office of Senator John McCain also released the following statement:

"Senator McCain appreciates the outpouring of support he has received over the last few days. He is in good spirits as he continues to recover at home with his family in Arizona. He is grateful to the doctors and staff at Mayo Clinic for their outstanding care, and is confident that any future treatment will be effective. Further consultations with Senator McCain's Mayo Clinic care team will indicate when he will return to the United States Senate."

:0001:
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Senator John McCain has a brain tumor, his office says
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:25:31 am »
Glioblastoma, the most aggressive kind. One of the causes is previous radiation, IIRC he has had radiation to treat skin cancer on his face.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:32 am »
Perhaps we'll get some idea of a prognosis soon.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:47:58 am »

If it is growing above or behind his eye in the frontal lobe...... He's screwed.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:51:37 am »
If it is growing above or behind his eye in the frontal lobe...... He's screwed.
Prognosis with GBM is 12-18 mos at best with aggressive surgery radiation and chemo.  Often less.  And McCain is 80 yrs old and in questionable health to start so I'm guessing less.  He and his family need prayers
God is still in control

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:29 am »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/342849-john-mccain-diagnosed-with-brain-cancer

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has been diagnosed with brain cancer, the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix said Wednesday.

The tumor was discovered after the senior Arizona senator underwent a minor procedure last week to remove a blood clot from above his left eye.

"Subsequent tissue pathology revealed that a primary brain tumor known as a glioblastoma was associated with the blood clot," the hospital said in a statement.

“The Senator and his family are reviewing further treatment options with his Mayo Clinic care team. Treatment options may include a combination of chemotherapy and radiation."

I bet this is a sweet sweet day for President Trump, and many of his fans, against a guy who was a war hero cause he got caught.  I like guys who don't get caught...Like President Trump.  Now, on to purging the GOP of Graham and one more RINO Senator.  The sad news is that his replacement will run on McCain's legacy, but that is a disappoint far from today. :beer:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 01:08:24 am »
That's a shame.

In the near future, he should tender his resignation, and allow the Governor to appoint somebody to stand in for the remainder of his term.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Mod1

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 01:20:35 am »
Two threads merged.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:28:25 am »

Prognosis isn't good; especially at his age.  Glioblastoma is very aggressive.

http://www.abta.org/brain-tumor-information/types-of-tumors/glioblastoma.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:30:11 am »
Ah...I think most of us assumed this....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline cammie

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:35:15 am »
I made the mistake of reading a thread about McCain's illness on TOS, where people are basically dancing with glee.  Of course,  McCain was tortured to protect their rights to be jackasses on the internet.

Prayers for him and his family, and prayers that TOS soon has insurmountable tech difficulties.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:35:47 am by cammie »

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:52 am »
I made the mistake of reading a thread about McCain's illness on TOS, where people are basically dancing with glee.  Of course,  McCain was tortured to protect their rights to be jackasses on the internet.

Prayers for him and his family, and prayers that TOS soon has insurmountable tech difficulties.

I have to say that thread is a low even for them
God is still in control

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 01:49:37 am »
Prayers for him and his family. He has beat worse. Like him or not, I hope he can kick its ass.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:02 am »

That's sickening,,

I assumed the worse when his daughter flew out there to be with him....Prayers for the whole family..John has been through enough in his lifetime..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 02:45:28 am »
As a man of military service who showed courage enough of his critics would be hard pressed to show,
I take my hat off to Mr. McCain.

As a politician with an authoritarian streak ten miles wide, who seemed to believe the State should be
the alpha and omega of life, who seemed to believe "a virtuous federal bureaucracy [should]
purify unclean private transactions from the boardroom to the bedroom
," and who was quite willing
to abrogate the Constitution to exercise his beliefs (McCain-Feingold for openers, anyone?), I put my hat
back on ten times.*

But pray for the best regarding his health.

(* With apologies to Arturo Toscanini, who once castigated Richard Strauss, after learning a Strauss opera
had in fact had its world premiere the evening before Toscanini was to have conducted the originally-
announced premiere: As a musician, I take my hat off to you. As a human being, I put it on ten
times
. And right there, having traveled from Milan to Vienna to confront Strauss in the first place,
Toscanini did just that!)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:46:51 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 04:40:55 am »

Not really surprising.  A number of them were exceptionally vicious when Senators Wellstone and Kennedy died. 

Offline mrclose

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 05:11:38 am »
As a nam vet, I just can't seem to find where I put my give a damn right now!

My opinion of Songbird is that he and John Kerry should have been locked away years ago!!

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 05:21:33 am »
Any normal person with McLames wealth and age would immediately retire and deal with this in a dignified way.......but I'll bet a dollar Johnny ain't going to do the classy thing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 07:11:27 am »
Any normal person with McLames wealth and age would immediately retire and deal with this in a dignified way.......but I'll bet a dollar Johnny ain't going to do the classy thing.

No bet.

Really, what else has he got to hang on to?  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 09:20:46 am »

I've had 2 friends who, when they were terminally ill, continued to work for as long as possible.  Perhaps going to work may have had some psychological benefit.  Instead of sitting around dwelling on the disease, they had something to do to keep them occupied and their minds off their troubles.  And perhaps by being productive, it may have prolonged their lives a little.

Offline raml

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 11:35:47 am »
I will pray for him as I did for Ed Kennedy just because i don't like their position on life or politics doesn't mean I can't feel a lot of empathy for them and their family. I  lost a sister at the end of 2015 from pancreatic cancer another fast moving cancer if not caught early and hers wasn't she lasted 6 months even with a lot of treatment. I pray he doesn't suffer and for a slowing of this cancer since I heard a doctor say a cure is very rare. I to believe he should retire but knowing what kind of person he is I doubt he will he really hasn't thought about the people of this country in years. I really think he has dementia too besides this cancer.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 01:02:48 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/342849-john-mccain-diagnosed-with-brain-cancer

I bet this is a sweet sweet day for President Trump, and many of his fans, against a guy who was a war hero cause he got caught.  I like guys who don't get caught...Like President Trump.  Now, on to purging the GOP of Graham and one more RINO Senator.  The sad news is that his replacement will run on McCain's legacy, but that is a disappoint far from today. :beer:

As much as I dislike both Trump and McCain...now's not the time for this.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 01:03:36 pm »
More (excerpts):
... Scans completed since Friday indicate that doctors were able to remove all the tumor tissue they could see in the 80-year-old senator's brain. "The tissue of concern was completely resected by imaging criteria," the statement read. The procedure and surgery were performed by doctors at the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix.

"The Senator and his family are reviewing further treatment options with his Mayo Clinic care team. Treatment options may include a combination of chemotherapy and radiation," the statement said.  ...

Although the statement from McCain's office stated that doctors believe they removed all of the tumor tissue, microscopic pieces that look like a sea urchin's tentacles could remain and spread to other parts of the brain, according to NBC News medical correspondent Dr. John Torres. Because gliomas have often spread deep into the brain by the time of diagnosis, it is difficult for the cancerous tissue to be completely removed.

McCain has a history of melanoma, a deadly skin cancer that can spread to the brain. The cause of his brain tumor has not been determined, but a 2014 study published in the Annals of Epidemiology found that incidences of gliomas were greater among melanoma cases than in people who had never been diagnosed with skin cancer.  ...

Some people are unaware they have a brain tumor until experiencing a seizure, according to the American Cancer Society. In 2009, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy died at age 77 from a malignant brain tumor after first suffering a seizure.

It's possible the brain tumor was linked to McCain's uncharacteristically incoherent line of questioning during congressional testimony last month by former FBI Director James Comey. ...

What is the prognosis?

Unfortunately, "the prognosis for a glioblastoma is not very good," Torres said. The median survival rates range from 14 months to 3 years.  ...
Full story at AOL News

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 01:05:33 pm »

Classy thing to do?  Frank, he's 80 years old.  His prognosis and prognosis for this very aggressive tumor is grim; survival median is 14 months. If he chooses to undergo chemo and radiation at this age, it's going to be difficult for him to work at the same time. He's just been diagnosed and needs some time to absorb what's truly going on. He may decide to not undergo treatment and return to the Senate (which will be short term). His positive attitude will be helpful, but there is no cure. Prayers for him and his family.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mg8mDmtbbA
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 01:06:20 pm »
The median survival rates range from 14 months to 3 years.  ...

A former Briagde Chaplain I'm friends with had a daughter with this kind of tumor.  She has had a couple surgeries...radiation the works.

She finally went through an experimental treatment and right now is in remission.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:45:24 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!