Author Topic: Trump to pull feds out of K-12 education  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Trump to pull feds out of K-12 education
« on: July 14, 2017, 03:51:07 pm »
Trump to pull feds out of K-12 education

By S.A. Miller - The Washington Times
Wednesday, April 26, 2017

President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday to start pulling the federal government out of K-12 education, following through on a campaign promise to return school control to state and local officials.
The order, dubbed the “Education Federalism Executive Order,” will launch a 300-day review of Obama-era regulations and guidance for school districts and directs Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to modify or repeal measures she deems an overreach by the federal government.

“For too long the government has imposed its will on state and local governments. The result has been education that spends more and achieves far, far, far less,” Mr. Trump said. “My administration has been working to reverse this federal power grab and give power back to families, cities [and] states — give power back to localities.”...

More at link http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/26/donald-trump-pull-feds-out-k-12-education/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: Trump to pull feds out of K-12 education
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:51:59 pm »
If he actually manages to get this done it will go down as his greatest accomplishment IMHO!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »
If he actually manages to get this done it will go down as his greatest accomplishment IMHO!

Agreed! Expect the educrats, AFCSME, and the dhimmicrap party to fight this tooth and nail.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 03:56:51 pm »
Cmon NTs find something bad about this one!!!
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 03:57:24 pm »
Agreed! Expect the educrats, AFCSME, and the dhimmicrap party to fight this tooth and nail.

This is a huge part of the swamp.  Housing prices in DC just dropped.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 03:59:25 pm »
He's not going to be able to or actually even try.

Just another attempt to distract.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:03:59 pm »

I knew it!    Pretty good distraction tho

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:08:55 pm »

Agreed.  This would be a major win!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 04:09:34 pm »

Yes, it is.  But it's good to put it up on the radar screen to remind people of its importance.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 04:15:09 pm »
Yes, it is.  But it's good to put it up on the radar screen to remind people of its importance.

Even if its a distraction its nice to see someone taking the fight to the leftists instead of always on the defense.   If it happens it would be the greatest boon for conservatism in 30 years.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 04:17:30 pm »
Even if its a distraction its nice to see someone taking the fight to the leftists instead of always on the defense.   If it happens it would be the greatest boon for conservatism in 30 years.

Exactly.  If he actually follows through on this, it would be very helpful.  His past track record is spotty, so I hope the Trump supporters will join in holding his feet to the fire and not just making excuses if we don't see this pushed vigorously after the 300-day review.  Can we expect that commitment?
+++++++++

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 04:28:18 pm »
...a 300-day review of Obama-era regulations and guidance for school districts and directs Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to modify or repeal measures she deems an overreach by the federal government.

So the headline is misleading. 

It's an EO to order a year-long review of Obama's directives in education and hands DeVos power to 'modify' or 'repeal' those directives.

It does NOT "pull the Feds out of K-12 education".

You've all been hoodwinked again.

Sounds good.  Makes a few moves in the right direction.  But it DOES NOT gut the NEA, rollback Federal programs or oversights from administrations before Obama nor yank the Feds out of K-12 education in the country.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 04:46:46 pm »
So the headline is misleading. 

It's an EO to order a year-long review of Obama's directives in education and hands DeVos power to 'modify' or 'repeal' those directives.

It does NOT "pull the Feds out of K-12 education".

You've all been hoodwinked again.

Sounds good.  Makes a few moves in the right direction.  But it DOES NOT gut the NEA, rollback Federal programs or oversights from administrations before Obama nor yank the Feds out of K-12 education in the country.

No, because the Trump supporters are going to prove the nevertrumpers wrong by marching on DC en masse if the Department of Education isn't abolished.  I'll be disappointed if they don't.

So I hope they pardon me for withholding ecstatic support.  It could be yet another of Trump's "announcements without teeth". 
+++++++++

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:03 pm »

No, because the Trump supporters are going to prove the nevertrumpers wrong by marching on DC en masse if the Department of Education isn't abolished.  I'll be disappointed if they don't.

So I hope they pardon me for withholding ecstatic support.  It could be yet another of Trump's "announcements without teeth".

To me, this is just Trump doing what he can on his own authority and announcing his INTENT to the feckless Congress!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:14:32 pm »
To me, this is just Trump doing what he can on his own authority and announcing his INTENT to the feckless Congress!

I'm beginning to think the Republicans have now also succumbed to the Liberal position that we should never judge fruits and outcomes, but only their good intentions.

If so, how Democrat of them!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:03:04 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 05:21:58 pm »
It's too bad Trump hasn't made some allies of the conservative members of Congress that could help him pass his conservative agenda, but I guess that ship sailed when he threatened to primary them?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22:35 pm »

Let's hope it is, though he hasn't seemed to feel the need to delay other things for a year before acting.

If you're not right, then you should have no problem going after him with a vengeance if he doesn't follow through, right?
+++++++++

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 05:24:09 pm »
Ahhhhhhh.... so the Republicans have now also succumbed to the Liberal position that we should never judge fruits and outcomes, but only their good intentions?

DO NOT attempt to put words in my mouth that I never said!  Trump has announced his intent! Let's see what the "republican" congress does with it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 05:31:03 pm »
DO NOT attempt to put words in my mouth that I never said!  Trump has announced his intent! Let's see what the "republican" congress does with it!

You mistook my sentiments.  I was not putting words in your mouth.

This is not the only forum I haunt, and if there is a meme or zeitgeist I'm reading over this 'announcement' it is that Trump's INTENTIONS are all that matter, because they believe the Democrats and the Establishment will not allow him to 'drain the swamp'.

Thus my comment about intentions becoming the measure of fruits.

Again, the Order calls for a 300 day REVIEW, and any rollbacks of Obama-era 'overreaches' are left up to the Education Secretary to modify them, or repeal them.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:32:30 pm by INVAR »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 05:33:54 pm »
You mistook my sentiments.  I was not putting words in your mouth.

This is not the only forum I haunt, and if there is a meme or zeitgeist I'm reading over this 'announcement' it is that Trump's INTENTIONS are all that matter, because they believe the Democrats and the Establishment will not allow him to 'drain the swamp'.

Thus my comment about intentions becoming the measure of fruits.

Again, the Order calls for a 300 day REVIEW, and any rollbacks of Obama-era 'overreaches' are left up to the Education Secretary to modify them, or repeal them.

@INVAR

But unless I am sorely mistaken your response here was directed at MY post.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:44:39 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 05:40:39 pm »
Ahhhhhhh.... so the Republicans have now also succumbed to the Liberal position that we should never judge fruits and outcomes, but only their good intentions?

Good actions begin with good intentions.

Good thing Jesus doesn't have the standards of perfection that so many here do.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 06:03:50 pm »
@INVAR

But unless I am sorely mistaken your response here was directed at MY post.

I think that your post and capitalization of the word INTENTION simply triggered the response based on the gamut of stuff I'm reading all over the place.  I'm sorry if the response seemed like you were advocating that position.  I've modified the comment.

I will note it's becoming an epidemic of response that Trump's INTENTION of draining the swamp is evidence Trump has kept his word he would do so.

In this case it is a 300 day review, not a pullout of federal intervention and oversight of K-12 education in America as the headline suggests.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 06:06:59 pm »
Good actions begin with good intentions.

Good thing Jesus doesn't have the standards of perfection that so many here do.

So Jesus did not have standards of perfection eh?

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect". Matthew 5:48

Sums up the fact He has a standard of perfection He is expecting we strive for, despite your declaration that He doesn't.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:10 pm »
From the article:

"Ms. DeVos already has authority to modify or repeal regulations that are deemed a violation of federal law. The order, however, creates a review for identifying those areas and makes clear her mandate from the president to take action."

So the authority to do so has already existed, and this says the president wants her to act on the existing authority, which she already has.

Wha.....?

It is an EO saying "You have my permission to do your job", which is good, but did it need an EO?

Oh well, it's not a bad thing, it just seems like it wasted some time, and was already in place.

The only thing that could be new is the 300 day time frame. I guess before it was left at the Departments discretion?

I dunno.

Lots of noise being made about something that was already there.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 06:09:20 pm »
I think that your post and capitalization of the word INTENTION simply triggered the response based on the gamut of stuff I'm reading all over the place.  I'm sorry if the response seemed like you were advocating that position.  I've modified the comment.

I will note it's becoming an epidemic of response that Trump's INTENTION of draining the swamp is evidence Trump has kept his word he would do so.

In this case it is a 300 day review, not a pullout of federal intervention and oversight of K-12 education in America as the headline suggests.

@INVAR

I'll give you the headline is misleading but would LOVE to know what else you think Trump can do on his on regarding this. Do you think he has the power to dissolve the Federal department of education all by himself?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:10:22 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien