Author Topic: Trump to pull feds out of K-12 education  (Read 4796 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Trump to pull feds out of K-12 education
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 06:13:02 pm »
So Jesus did not have standards of perfection eh?

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect". Matthew 5:48

Sums up the fact He has a standard of perfection He is expecting we strive for, despite your declaration that He doesn't.

@INVAR
Next look up the meaning of heretic.

Why did Jesus die on the cross?   Did Jesus die for those of us who are perfect?   How many of us are perfect in his eyes? 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 06:14:02 pm »
From the article:

"Ms. DeVos already has authority to modify or repeal regulations that are deemed a violation of federal law. The order, however, creates a review for identifying those areas and makes clear her mandate from the president to take action."

So the authority to do so has already existed, and this says the president wants her to act on the existing authority, which she already has.

Wha.....?

It is an EO saying "You have my permission to do your job", which is good, but did it need an EO?

Oh well, it's not a bad thing, it just seems like it wasted some time, and was already in place.

The only thing that could be new is the 300 day time frame. I guess before it was left at the Departments discretion?

I dunno.

Lots of noise being made about something that was already there.

And what do you suppose Trump's motive for making noise about something that was already there to be other than to announce to the Congress what he would love to see happen?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 06:24:59 pm »
And what do you suppose Trump's motive for making noise about something that was already there to be other than to announce to the Congress what he would love to see happen?

Frankly, to get the applause, the positive press.

His EO wasn't necessary.
The statute existed.
Congress doesn't have to do anything here.
It was already the authority of the Department to do this.
The only change seems to be that it put a time frame on it.
It could have been handled with a conversation, simple e-mail, etc., directly to the Department head, without the EO, and the press it generated.

Again, it doesn't hurt anything, (I ain't mad), but it wasn't necessary.
It was already in place.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 06:27:09 pm »
Frankly, to get the applause, the positive press.

His EO wasn't necessary.
The statute existed.
Congress doesn't have to do anything here.
It was already the authority of the Department to do this.
The only change seems to be that it put a time frame on it.
It could have been handled with a conversation, simple e-mail, etc., directly to the Department head, without the EO, and the press it generated.

Again, it doesn't hurt anything, (I ain't mad), but it wasn't necessary.
It was already in place.

I strongly disagree!  I think he has a greater motive than that.  But it could just be me.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 06:29:35 pm »
@INVAR
Next look up the meaning of heretic.

Why did Jesus die on the cross?   Did Jesus die for those of us who are perfect?   How many of us are perfect in his eyes?

So Jesus never said what He did in Matthew 5:48 in your bible then.  That is just a heresy in your estimation and I get to be called a heretic for quoting that particular verse.

Good to know.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 06:31:57 pm »
I strongly disagree!  I think he has a greater motive than that.  But it could just be me.

I agree 100% that this is a good thing, just a good thing that it is already there.
One thing the EO did, followed by the article, was to educate me that it is in place, which I did not know before now.

If my only complaint is that I think this may be a bit of grandstanding, doesn't mean I don't love the idea.

I hope they both succeed in getting this done!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:42:54 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline kidd

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 06:32:50 pm »
So the headline is misleading. 

It's an EO to order a year-long review of Obama's directives in education and hands DeVos power to 'modify' or 'repeal' those directives.

It does NOT "pull the Feds out of K-12 education".

You've all been hoodwinked again.

Sounds good.  Makes a few moves in the right direction.  But it DOES NOT gut the NEA, rollback Federal programs or oversights from administrations before Obama nor yank the Feds out of K-12 education in the country.

sort of.
The article presents quotes that clearly indicate that the intent is to review moving control of education to the states.
But
The article also states "The executive order is not expected to have an immediate impact on school districts. Policy changes will follow a report on the findings of the review"

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 06:40:25 pm »
@INVAR

I'll give you the headline is misleading but would LOVE to know what else you think Trump can do on his on regarding this. Do you think he has the power to dissolve the Federal department of education all by himself?

I think Groucho answered you the same way I would have.

Trump can direct his Cabinet Secretary DeVos to end every directive and federal program that comes from the EduSec.  He does not need an E.O. to do that.  The E.O. simply micromanages her office while handing Trump camera-time for public applause and consumption.

That said, since it was Carter that created the Department of Education and raised it to Cabinet Level, Trump can - if he chose to - demote it back down to Health and Human Services, he could possibly do that - but Congress has passed myriad bills and Acts within the agency over the years so Congress may have more to say about that than Trump might like if he truly did want to abolish the department.

And we have heard no indication he wants to eliminate the department.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 06:43:46 pm »
sort of.
The article presents quotes that clearly indicate that the intent is to review moving control of education to the states.
But
The article also states "The executive order is not expected to have an immediate impact on school districts. Policy changes will follow a report on the findings of the review"

The article specifically indicates "Obama-Era" regulations:

The order, dubbed the “Education Federalism Executive Order,” will launch a 300-day review of Obama-era regulations and guidance for school districts

I'm not reading 'moving all control of education to the states' in the EO or the article.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:44:11 pm by INVAR »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 06:59:29 pm »

@Bigun
a) To wave a red flag that will cause the media and left to go nuts.
b) Because is many cases you cannot just change regulations even if you have the power.  You have to communicate the changes and announce them in a specific way.
c) Major changes which would impact all 50 states need to be planned, even if they are for the good.  The States may not be ready to take over these areas which would cause a massive failure.  Something he cannot afford.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2017, 07:03:32 pm »
So Jesus never said what He did in Matthew 5:48 in your bible then.  That is just a heresy in your estimation and I get to be called a heretic for quoting that particular verse.

Good to know.

@INVAR
Second suggestion to look up the word heretic.     I'm suggesting you look it up as intentionally misusing the Word of God is significant.   

Since you apparently don't know the answers to my questions; Jesus died for our sins, all of us.  Not just white people, or Americans, but for everyone in the world.  He did so because he knew nobody was perfect, except him of course.   We all are imperfect.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 07:19:50 pm »
@INVAR
Second suggestion to look up the word heretic.     I'm suggesting you look it up as intentionally misusing the Word of God is significant.

Again, your expose of biblical acumen apparently insists Jesus never meant what He said in Matthew 5:48, or that verse must not exist at all in your bible.

You stated Jesus never had a standard of perfection.  I posted Matthew 5:48

Did He say it or not? 

I find it illuminating that I can be publicly be declared to be a heretic by posting a biblical verse that contradicts your assertion.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 07:31:04 pm »
Then best thing he could do for K-12 education is to get the feds out of college education.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 07:32:25 pm »
@INVAR @driftdiver
Everyone knows Jesus isn't allowed in public school.  Wish y'all would knock it off before we get a visit from the ACLU.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 07:33:24 pm »
Then best thing he could do for K-12 education is to get the feds out of college education.

And eliminate the Federal Department of Education entirely! It is, and always has been, and entirely useless organization for anything but the statist!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 07:35:42 pm »
And eliminate the Federal Department of Education entirely! It is, and always has been, and entirely useless organization for anything but the statist!

Think about the havoc that would wreck on our taxes.  I'm not saying it shuodn't be done, but just think about the cluster it would cause.  Why do I get the feeling that overall it would end up increasing our taxes when it should do the opposite.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 07:37:44 pm »
Good actions begin with good intentions.

Good thing Jesus doesn't have the standards of perfection that so many here do.

I disagree with that statement.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  But, good intentions without actions are worse than useless.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 07:40:51 pm »
Again, your expose of biblical acumen apparently insists Jesus never meant what He said in Matthew 5:48, or that verse must not exist at all in your bible.

You stated Jesus never had a standard of perfection.  I posted Matthew 5:48

Did He say it or not? 

I find it illuminating that I can be publicly be declared to be a heretic by posting a biblical verse that contradicts your assertion.

@INVAR
So now you're a liar.  In post #22 I said "Good actions begin with good intentions.

Good thing Jesus doesn't have the standards of perfection that so many here do."  Because of course nobody except Jesus is perfect.   Perfection is not required for salvation through Jesus.

How about these verses:

Titus 3:10 "As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him,"
Galations 1:7 "Not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ "
Titus 3:11 "Knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned."

You profess to hold the Truth, in essence to be perfect,  YOU, not the Word of God and not Jesus.  But you seek to judge ALL as to their worthiness and YOU find everyone lacking.

Jesus accepted everyone who sought him.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 07:42:10 pm »
I disagree with that statement.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  But, good intentions without actions are worse than useless.

@Sanguine
Good intentions set expectations.  They help to get others working towards the same goals.

Without intentions the only good would come by accident, surely you do not believe that?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2017, 07:44:59 pm »
Think about the havoc that would wreck on our taxes.  I'm not saying it shuodn't be done, but just think about the cluster it would cause.  Why do I get the feeling that overall it would end up increasing our taxes when it should do the opposite.

A lot of the problems are locally created. I watch schools around my county constantly struggle to outdo each other to show off. The wealthiest school in the county has a pool so the next school has to build a new gym with a retractable floor with a pool under it. Before long someone decides that they need to use the gym but the pool is in use so they need a new practice gym and an all weather track......

It goes on and on and on. Meanwhile the teachers are constantly whining about how hard it is to teach because they lack resources.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2017, 07:47:16 pm »
A lot of the problems are locally created. I watch schools around my county constantly struggle to outdo each other to show off. The wealthiest school in the county has a pool so the next school has to build a new gym with a retractable floor with a pool under it. Before long someone decides that they need to use the gym but the pool is in use so they need a new practice gym and an all weather track......

It goes on and on and on. Meanwhile the teachers are constantly whining about how hard it is to teach because they lack resources.

Wow 'conservatives' are actually arguing for FEDERAL control.

I guess now we know where the eGOP comes from.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 07:47:18 pm »
@Sanguine
Good intentions set expectations.  They help to get others working towards the same goals.

Without intentions the only good would come by accident, surely you do not believe that?

I think she is talking about this:

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."

Daniel Webster

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 07:51:52 pm »
Just don't touch the Common Corps

Oceander

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 07:52:58 pm »
So the headline is misleading. 

It's an EO to order a year-long review of Obama's directives in education and hands DeVos power to 'modify' or 'repeal' those directives.

It does NOT "pull the Feds out of K-12 education".

You've all been hoodwinked again.

Sounds good.  Makes a few moves in the right direction.  But it DOES NOT gut the NEA, rollback Federal programs or oversights from administrations before Obama nor yank the Feds out of K-12 education in the country.

Exactly.  And any serious modification of the regulations will require a new notice and comment period and opportunity for interested parties to sue to retain the regulations. 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »
I think she is talking about this:

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."

Daniel Webster

@Bigun

Perhaps, @Sanguine is certainly more eloquent than I.   My point is that good things start with good intentions.  Sure good action is also required but for goodness sake, the President of the United States suggested returning control of Education to the States and Conservatives have a problem with that.    Are people so afraid of taking responsibility for themselves that they think some unaccountable bureaucrat in DC knows better than the people in their town, county or state?

If so we are truly lost and it may be time to start angling for a position with the Party.