Author Topic: The Disturbing Rise of Monarchism in America  (Read 10552 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: The Disturbing Rise of Monarchism in America
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2017, 08:34:06 pm »
I thought that stuff was named Quix.   Oh boy.
It should have been named Queasy. And its companion/rival should have been named Earthquake.
Because Quisp tasted like sugared cardboard and Quake like cardboarded sugar.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2017, 08:56:45 pm »
It should have been named Queasy. And its companion/rival should have been named Earthquake.
Because Quisp tasted like sugared cardboard and Quake like cardboarded sugar.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2017, 09:03:08 pm »

The courtiers should have killed that king ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2017, 09:29:48 pm »
The courtiers should have killed that king ;)

I think a $1.59 a box in 1978 killed him.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2017, 09:32:01 pm »
I was simply making the point that yes there were lots of folks here trying to get me banned for telling, IMHO, the truth about nevertrumpers. I find it hugely ironic that I was labeled anti-Trump at FR and banned for it, I got banned from WU for being a CC skeptic.
What "truth" would that be? I have seen a lot of sweeping mischaracterizations, so a few more lies won't hurt.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2017, 09:33:35 pm »
Now if you want to tie this back into the thread theme of totalitarianism...its a real shame that the PC crowd has deemed 99.9% of the classic cartoons racist and insensitive and banished them from TV.

I heard a story one time that one of the reasons Ted Turner launched Cartoon Network was to get his hands on the Looney Toons library to eventually get them off TV.
Then he put crap like "Captain Planet" on. (Banned in my house from day two. I watched one 'episode' and that was enough.)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2017, 09:48:12 pm »
Then he put crap like "Captain Planet" on. (Banned in my house from day two. I watched one 'episode' and that was enough.)

I like the Robot Chicken version of Captain Planet where Ted Turner dressed as Captain Planet throws himself out a high rise window.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2017, 09:52:39 pm »
I like the Robot Chicken version of Captain Planet where Ted Turner dressed as Captain Planet throws himself out a high rise window.
Yeah, but Robot Chicken was a whole 'nother ball game.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2017, 09:56:04 pm »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2017, 11:24:24 pm »
Hard to believe that kids don't know about Saturday morning cartoons now, and how special they were.  :shrug:

On topic comment - the word the author of the OP is desperately searching for is not monarchical. It's imperial, as in the Imperial Presidency. Sod all to do with kings.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2017, 11:36:44 pm »
Clutch Cargo Rocked.   

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2017, 11:42:23 pm »
From monarchism in the United States to jumbo size captain vitamin breakfast cereal and clutch cargo. Interesting thread progression.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2017, 11:47:00 pm »
From monarchism in the United States to jumbo size captain vitamin breakfast cereal and clutch cargo. Interesting thread progression.

Bread (or cereal) and circuses.

I left a link to Mike Lee explanation on why federalism is superior somewhere in the thread. Unfortunately people who demand that all republicans obey the president probably aren't big fans of federalism.

Offline corbe

« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »
   I need my Fiber, I'm an old constipated man.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2017, 12:12:26 am »
   I need my Fiber, I'm an old constipated man.

Isn't that cereal only sold in San Francisco?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2017, 12:14:08 am »
Unfortunately people who demand that all republicans obey the president probably aren't big fans of federalism.
I would say people who demand all members of their party to obey their party's president definitely
aren't any kind of fans of federalism.

Offline corbe

« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2017, 12:24:01 am »

It may just be me @INVAR 
   I have been known, in the past, to sleep with strange women, known to the Local Cops as, having violent tendencies.
   I've become accustomed to groping my nuts each morning, as an inventory check, usually just before I log on here.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2017, 12:32:24 am »

It may just be me @INVAR 
   I have been known, in the past, to sleep with strange women, known to the Local Cops as, having violent tendencies.
   I've become accustomed to groping my nuts each morning, as an inventory check, usually just before I log on here.

That must've been some youth to never have grown out of the habit.

And here I thought a simple nut fluff in the morning was a personal hang up.  Unless of course you ever got a leech stuck to one of your boys in a sediment-filled creek.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2017, 12:34:28 am »
Nah. It's in airports all over the country.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2017, 12:36:24 am »
That must've been some youth to never have grown out of the habit.

And here I thought a simple nut fluff in the morning was a personal hang up.  Unless of course you ever got a leech stuck to one of your boys in a sediment-filled creek.
Leeches, ticks, chiggers...all go for the jewels..

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2017, 12:44:40 am »
   She walked up Tuesday afternoon and knocked on my door, I wondered where her car was, told her 'You're drunk, go home', she was arrested for PI walking back to her gasless Ford at the end of my street, but its been real hot here in Texas and everyone knows it's always freezing cold in Jail, which also explains why all the drunk women in bikinis have the cell closest to the guard station.

Yes, I poured my lawnmower gas into her car the next morning and she knew better than to call me to bail her out.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2017, 12:48:51 am »
Nah. It's in airports all over the country.

This is true.

I tend to put such recollections out of my mind to the place I put my visits to the proctologist.

You know... it just occurred to me that Frank is missing one heck of a thread.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:50:26 am by INVAR »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2017, 12:51:32 am »
This is true.

I tend to put such recollections out of my mind to the place I put my visits to the proctologist.

You know... it just occurred to me that Frank is missing one heck of a thread.
If you've been packing all those memories in the same spot, just stay far, far away from moldy rye...could be a bad, bad trip.
It's early, it's the weekend. Maybe he is on a 'supply run'.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:52:57 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2017, 12:53:50 am »
I thought I was the only guy to deliberately bury those memories...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2017, 01:06:17 am »
I thought I was the only guy to deliberately bury those memories...
They took one look at me (6', 230 lbs, at the time) and knocked me out for the colonoscopy. Probably safer for everyone that way.
I don't recall anything but the cute nurse in pre-op and the wake up room....it took me close to two hours longer than they figured to wake up and I don't recall much for a good 24 hours afterward. Mrs. Joe drove me home.

C S Lewis