Author Topic: Prudes of TBR look at this.  (Read 3482 times)

Wingnut

Prudes of TBR look at this.
« on: July 10, 2017, 01:25:24 am »
Swearing Is Actually a Sign of More Intelligence - Not Less - Say Scientists

You're damn right.
RICHARD STEPHENS, THE CONVERSATION 2 FEB 2017
The use of obscene or taboo language - or swearing, as it’s more commonly known - is often seen as a sign that the speaker lacks vocabulary, cannot express themselves in a less offensive way, or even lacks intelligence.

Studies have shown, however, that swearing may in fact display a more, rather than less, intelligent use of language.

While swearing can become a habit, we choose to swear in different contexts and for different purposes: for linguistic effect, to convey emotion, for laughs, or perhaps even to be deliberately nasty.

Psychologists interested in when and why people swear try to look past the stereotype that swearing is the language of the unintelligent and illiterate.

In fact, a study by psychologists from Marist College found links between how fluent a person is in the English language and how fluent they are in swearing.

The former - verbal fluency - can be measured by asking volunteers to think of as many words beginning with a certain letter of the alphabet as they can in 1 minute.

People with greater language skills can generally think of more examples in the allotted time. Based on this approach, the researchers created the swearing fluency task. This task requires volunteers to list as many different swear words as they can think of in 1 minute.

By comparing scores from both the verbal and swearing fluency tasks, it was found that the people who scored highest on the verbal fluency test also tended to do best on the swearing fluency task. The weakest in the verbal fluency test also did poorly on the swearing fluency task.

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:52:07 am by Wingnut »

Oceander

Re: Prudes of TBR look at this.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:27:49 am »
:facepalm2:

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:42:20 am »
   Someone needs to ping @Frank Cannon here to insure this threads destruction.

There are a lot of women here and all are worthy of 'our' respect, and I have broached that line on occasion @CatherineofAragon and for that I apologize... with that aside, mentioning female hygiene products as any kind of description for this evil half of society is just asking for trouble @Wingnut

(just finished a real bad day with my X)

Grow a pair!   LOL
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:43:06 am by Wingnut »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:42:43 am »
@Wingnut

There are a lot of women here and all are worthy of 'our' respect, and I have broached that line on occasion @CatherineofAragon and for that I apologize... with that aside, mentioning female hygiene products as any kind of description for this evil half of society is just asking for trouble @Wingnut

I think that comment should be removed please
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 01:52:29 am »
@Wingnut

Mafia removed.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:54:49 am »
Mafia removed.

Thanks...appreciated.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:00:10 am »

This is old news and it was thoroughly debunked at the time.  The actual research is being misrepresented.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 02:08:49 am »
This is old news and it was thoroughly debunked at the time.  The actual research is being misrepresented.

Screw you doubting Thomas. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:10:10 am »
Just because you know a word does not mean you shouod necessarily use it.  That said, there is a difference in creative use of 'colorful' language and just dropping an F bomb every other word.  I do happen to partake in the colorful every once in a while. :)  But in general trashy talk makes a trashy person.

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 02:11:33 am »
Thanks...appreciated.

I need a filter...at times. :police:

Offline Idiot

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 02:28:06 am »
I need a filter...at times. :police:
Back when I taught tennis while attending college I used this verse many times with the little foul mouthed young'uns.

Ephesians 4:29  "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

@Wingnut

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 02:35:14 am »
Back when I taught tennis while attending college I used this verse many times with the little foul mouthed young'uns.

Ephesians 4:29  "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

@Wingnut

Very Profound.  After reading that I now know why you never entered teaching as a career.   Do you still have the marks on your body where those kids beat you with their 1980's Prince Oversized Head rackets? 888high58888

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 02:37:36 am »

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 02:41:50 am »
   Removed @mystery-ak Sorry.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 02:53:55 am »
There is a time and a place for profanity.

That place is not every other fracking word.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 02:58:03 am »
@Wingnut

@mystery-ak
@Wingnut
@corbe

I'm trying to figure out who said what to me, and what it was about, and I'm not having any luck.
Can someone clue me in?

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 03:04:31 am »
@mystery-ak
@Wingnut
@corbe

I'm trying to figure out who said what to me, and what it was about, and I'm not having any luck.
Can someone clue me in?

I pinged you @CatherineofAragon
   I apologized to you personally about that 'off color' remark last night about tattoos, that was sincere: unfortunately the rest of my comment just went downhill from there, which is apparently obvious to all, including me, and for that I now owe the whole damn room an apology which I will give at a later date.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 03:43:44 am »
   I pinged you @CatherineofAragon
   I apologized to you personally about that 'off color' remark last night about tattoos, that was sincere: unfortunately the rest of my comment just went downhill from there, which is apparently obvious to all, including me, and for that I now owe the whole damn room an apology which I will give at a later date.

@corbe, I must be too sleepy, but I can't remember the remark about tattoos, lol.  I appreciate and thank you for your apology, but I don't recall being offended by anything you said.

:beer:

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 03:48:41 am »
@corbe, I must be too sleepy, but I can't remember the remark about tattoos, lol.  I appreciate and thank you for your apology, but I don't recall being offended by anything you said.

:beer:

He gets a  :beer:  and I get squat for s'plaing it to you!  LOL   

:laugh: 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 04:12:19 am »

Being Top Prude here at TBR I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I find this news offensive, derogatory, inflammatory, distasteful, rude, disgusting and GD effing shit.

Silver Pines

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 04:26:12 am »
He gets a  :beer:  and I get squat for s'plaing it to you!  LOL   

:laugh:

@Wingnut

Was that you?  I couldn't tell---I saw names and didn't know what the hell was going on, lol.

:beer: :beer:

Silver Pines

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 04:27:50 am »

Being Top Prude here at TBR I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I find this news offensive, derogatory, inflammatory, distasteful, rude, disgusting and GD effing shit.

I knew your pure self would be shocked and stunned.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 05:16:14 am »
The ass was being an arse.
The bitch was eating a cock.
The cock bleep up the bleep cat with his spurs.
The jackass didn't give a shit.
And they all thought I was a son of a bitch for saying kotex mafia.
Maybe I was being a bleep (c word) but whatever, they can all go bleep themsleves.

I think I used all the heavy hitters and a smattering of words that I guess we don't consider profane anymore, except for the way we use them.  Funny that they're mostly references to animals or bodily functions.  And I can use cock all day long, but the first part of pussycat gets bleeped out. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 05:28:17 am »
The ass was being an arse.
The bitch was eating a cock.
The cock bleep up the bleep cat with his spurs.
The jackass didn't give a shit.
And they all thought I was a son of a bitch for saying kotex mafia.
Maybe I was being a bleep (c word) but whatever, they can all go bleep themsleves.

I think I used all the heavy hitters and a smattering of words that I guess we don't consider profane anymore, except for the way we use them.  Funny that they're mostly references to animals or bodily functions.  And I can use cock all day long, but the first part of pussycat gets bleeped out.

You've made Frank Cannon blush. Top notch.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 07:10:43 am »

You're damn right.
RICHARD STEPHENS, THE CONVERSATION 2 FEB 2017
The use of obscene or taboo language - or swearing, as it’s more commonly known - is often seen as a sign that the speaker lacks vocabulary, cannot express themselves in a less offensive way, or even lacks intelligence.

Studies have shown, however, that swearing may in fact display a more, rather than less, intelligent use of language.

While swearing can become a habit, we choose to swear in different contexts and for different purposes: for linguistic effect, to convey emotion, for laughs, or perhaps even to be deliberately nasty.

Psychologists interested in when and why people swear try to look past the stereotype that swearing is the language of the unintelligent and illiterate.

In fact, a study by psychologists from Marist College found links between how fluent a person is in the English language and how fluent they are in swearing.

The former - verbal fluency - can be measured by asking volunteers to think of as many words beginning with a certain letter of the alphabet as they can in 1 minute.

People with greater language skills can generally think of more examples in the allotted time. Based on this approach, the researchers created the swearing fluency task. This task requires volunteers to list as many different swear words as they can think of in 1 minute.

By comparing scores from both the verbal and swearing fluency tasks, it was found that the people who scored highest on the verbal fluency test also tended to do best on the swearing fluency task. The weakest in the verbal fluency test also did poorly on the swearing fluency task.

https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists
I bet they think they are a bunch of smart f***ers after publishing that. Getting past the same few basic words and being genuinely creative in the process of expressing oneself requires intelligence, but doing it without getting people so up at arms against the delivery that the message gets through is an art, with or without cusswords.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis