Author Topic: A Sheriff In Overdose Ravaged Ohio Says His Officers ‘Don’t Do Narcan’  (Read 3915 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Yes, and would you want to be the poor officer on the scene saying "Hmmm, I wonder how many times this one had OD'ed and do I resuscitate or not" while the family or bystanders are screaming and the ACLU and BLM and SPLC and whatevers are standing around just waiting for an exploitable opportunity.  Nope, I sure wouldn't want to make that decision, and particularly in a crisis situation.  I don't want that on my conscience or be sued over it.

According to what I read, they are going to create a database to track that. The Police will not have to 'guess'. As far as the friends and family freaking out, it is likely the dispatcher will not even send anyone out there. So there will be nobody there for them to yell out. Even now, there are many Police Departments who do not do administer Narcan as a policy.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

Legalized Marijuana Could Help Curb the Opioid Epidemic, Study Finds
Reuters | MAR 27 2017, 9:47 PM ET
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/legalized-marijuana-could-help-curb-opioid-epidemic-study-finds-n739301
which references this study: http://www.drugandalcoholdependence.com/article/S0376-8716(17)30076-5/abstract

In states that legalized medical marijuana, U.S. hospitals failed to see a predicted influx of pot smokers, but in an unexpected twist, they treated far fewer opioid users, a new study shows.

Hospitalization rates for opioid painkiller dependence and abuse dropped on average 23 percent in states after marijuana was permitted for medicinal purposes, the analysis found. Hospitalization rates for opioid overdoses dropped 13 percent on average.

At the same time, fears that legalization of medical marijuana would lead to an uptick in cannabis-related hospitalizations proved unfounded, according to the report in Drug and Alcohol Dependence.

[Excerpt.  Read more at links.]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

11-year-old Pennsylvania girl revived with Narcan after overdose, police say
POSTED 8:40 AM, MAY 8, 2017, BY FOX59 WEB, UPDATED AT 08:54AM, MAY 8, 2017

PITTSBURGH — Police say an 11-year-old girl had to be revived with the antidote Narcan after a drug overdose in her Pittsburgh home.

Officers were called to the home Wednesday for a suspected overdose. A paramedic who responded tells the Post-Gazette the girl was using heroin.

Police say she regained consciousness after receiving the Narcan, became combative, and had to be sedated, according to the Post-Gazette.

Investigators found multiple bags of heroin in the girl’s room, and at least one of the bags was open. The girl’s 20-year-old sister told police they had no idea the girl was using heroin until police discovered it in the home.

[Excerpt.  Read more at link.]

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

According to what I read, they are going to create a database to track that. The Police will not have to 'guess'. As far as the friends and family freaking out, it is likely the dispatcher will not even send anyone out there. So there will be nobody there for them to yell out. Even now, there are many Police Departments who do not do administer Narcan as a policy.

I was just saying that as a medic with many years of experience.  But, nevermind....

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
I'm sorry for family members of substance abusers.

But what's the next step after resuscitating them?

Court ordered treatment?

Send them off for an inpatient stay and then off to join Narcotics Anonymous or some other BS rehab program?

These police calls aren't free.

Nor are the ambulances.

Lot's of repeaters here.

Narcan's not the cost of this by any means.

I don't want myself or my neighbors buying anymore $100K to $200K Junkies with their property taxes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:10:24 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Suppressed

The opioid epidemic is so bad that librarians are learning how to treat overdoses
By Darran Simon, CNN
Photographs by Michelle Gustafson for CNN
Updated 9:10 PM ET, Sat June 24, 2017

Long viewed as guardians of safe spaces for children, library staff members like Kowalski have begun taking on the role of first responder in drug overdoses. In at least three major cities -- Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco -- library employees now know, or are set to learn, how to use [irl=http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/28/health/what-is-naloxone-narcan-opioid-overdose/index.html]the drug naloxone[/url], usually known by its brand name Narcan, to help reverse overdoses.

Their training tracks with the disastrous national rise in opioid use and an apparent uptick of overdoses in libraries, which often serve as daytime havens for homeless people and hubs of services in impoverished communities.

In the past two years, libraries in Denver, San Francisco, suburban Chicago and Reading, Pennsylvania have become the site of fatal overdoses.

Excerpt.  Read more and see pix at link.
+++++++++

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/legalized-marijuana-could-help-curb-opioid-epidemic-study-finds-n739301
which references this study: http://www.drugandalcoholdependence.com/article/S0376-8716(17)30076-5/abstract

In states that legalized medical marijuana, U.S. hospitals failed to see a predicted influx of pot smokers, but in an unexpected twist, they treated far fewer opioid users, a new study shows.

Hospitalization rates for opioid painkiller dependence and abuse dropped on average 23 percent in states after marijuana was permitted for medicinal purposes, the analysis found. Hospitalization rates for opioid overdoses dropped 13 percent on average.

At the same time, fears that legalization of medical marijuana would lead to an uptick in cannabis-related hospitalizations proved unfounded, according to the report in Drug and Alcohol Dependence.

Headline objection! Headline reads like overall legalization as opposed to 'medical marijuana' legalization is the key. I'm not so sure about the situation in states which have declared pot legal.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

What a scary thought, a loved one OD's and you call for help and know one shows!  In the same light, I would think that would leave room for a lawsuit.  Why wouldn't they respond by sending out an EMT?  Does it matter if they've OD'd before or not?  Obviously the person needs more help than they were given before.

Again, we are experiencing an opioid epidemic that is continuing to grow.  Whatever our policies and procedures were before, obviously aren't working now.  We need more facilities to treat and more training and education for our first responders.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Headline objection! Headline reads like overall legalization as opposed to 'medical marijuana' legalization is the key. I'm not so sure about the situation in states which have declared pot legal.

@Smokin Joe , they are trying to make marijuana legal in NJ now.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The problem as I see it is there aren't affordable rehabilitation programs; the costs are astronomical. It's one thing if an addict is still on their parent's insurance but what about those who don't have any insurance?  Sure, they can go through detox but some form of rehab is needed and then AA and/or NA afterwards.

Such an interesting discussion.  Wow.  I have three friends who are recovering addicts, two were alcoholics.  One of the recovered alcoholics told me that Rehab was an expensive place that ended up telling you to go to AA.  All of them recovered through AA-type programs.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Such an interesting discussion.  Wow.  I have three friends who are recovering addicts, two were alcoholics.  One of the recovered alcoholics told me that Rehab was an expensive place that ended up telling you to go to AA.  All of them recovered through AA-type programs.

I should add that these are long time recoveries ... 20 years or more.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I'm sorry for family members of substance abusers.

But what's the next step after resuscitating them?

Court ordered treatment?

Send them off for an inpatient stay and then off to join Narcotics Anonymous or some other BS rehab program?

These police calls aren't free.

Nor are the ambulances.

Lot's of repeaters here.

Narcan's not the cost of this by any means.

I don't want myself or my neighbors buying anymore $100K to $200K Junkies with their property taxes.

I don't begrudge the cost of police calls.  They would probably be called anyway.  The question is ... should they be expected to .... and is it safe .... for them to use Narcan.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I read that article.  Very interesting and I agree about the benefits of legalizing medical marijuana.  Because these prescription pain medications seem to be (I don't know any statistics) some of the most addictive drugs available.

I have also read that marijuana has been helpful (when allowed) in NFL injuries without resorting to pain meds.

I wonder why people get so hysterical at the thought of legalizing pot when far more addictive drugs like Vicodin are okay.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
Yes, and would you want to be the poor officer on the scene saying "Hmmm, I wonder how many times this one had OD'ed and do I resuscitate or not" while the family or bystanders are screaming and the ACLU and BLM and SPLC and whatevers are standing around just waiting for an exploitable opportunity.  Nope, I sure wouldn't want to make that decision, and particularly in a crisis situation.  I don't want that on my conscience or be sued over it.

Maybe it could be done as follows:
After the first dose, the druggie is required to go to rehab.
After the second dose, the druggie gets locked up in a secure rehab facility.
After the third dose, the druggie gets locked up for a loooong time.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Ohio Has So Many Overdoses They’re Considering A Three Strike Rule

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,270948.msg1381312/topicseen.html#msg1381312
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

What a scary thought, a loved one OD's and you call for help and know one shows!  In the same light, I would think that would leave room for a lawsuit.  Why wouldn't they respond by sending out an EMT?  Does it matter if they've OD'd before or not?  Obviously the person needs more help than they were given before.

Again, we are experiencing an opioid epidemic that is continuing to grow.  Whatever our policies and procedures were before, obviously aren't working now.  We need more facilities to treat and more training and education for our first responders.
What if they didn't actually OD? The first time someone dies of something else that the 911 caller thought might be an OD, there will be a huge suit. Not all 911 callers are medically qualified, not all ODs drop with the spike in their arm.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe , they are trying to make marijuana legal in NJ now.
I'm not against limited medical Marijuana, but if in general for the whole population, stop it if you can.

Pols see tax revenue. Period.  Colorado has pulled in a fortune in tax revenue, but with that come the problems of tax enforcement (about half the pot sold in the state is 'bootleg' untaxed pot), serious gang activity (Cartel), and a host of enforcement problems especially with driving under the influence and measuring impairment in any quantifiable way.
A friend left the Denver area over it, because of the rampant petit theft problems, auto burglaries and the like. It got so bad, he said, that the police were not even responding to property crimes, and later, when the pro-pot people ran out the statistics on crime in the area they used police reports as their indicator (IOW, if it didn't get written up, it was treated as if there was no crime).
Although this will catch some flack, it is a gateway drug, too, and any time someone uses something which affects judgement in the midst of a culture which does other more dangerous drugs the probability of an undesirable outcome increases significantly.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They are much less violent when dead.
Plus, the police almost never receive a call back on them!  **nononono*

Offline mirraflake

I live in a very small town less than 500 people. The volunteer fire department has been averaging 3-4 overdoses per month-this includes the surrounding township.

I live in appalachian meth alley. 

My neighbor is a doctor and his 20 year old daughter was just caught selling heroin out of their horse barn.

Let them die.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I live in a very small town less than 500 people. The volunteer fire department has been averaging 3-4 overdoses per month-this includes the surrounding township.

My neighbor is a doctor and his 20 year old daughter was just caught selling heroin out of their horse barn.

Let them die.

Well I'm not a heartless person. But as an engineer, it is indisputable that if a "Let them die." policy were enacted, the problem would be necessarily 'self correcting'. Over time, all the people prone to that behavior would be gone.

Online corbe

Let them die.

It's so sad @mirraflake but it's the choices we make in Life.

My X has recently returned from Glasgow, KY, where McConnell spoke yesterday, Meth Central, it's a painful reminder of human nature.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mirraflake

Well I'm not a heartless person. But as an engineer, it is indisputable that if a "Let them die." policy were enacted, the problem would be necessarily 'self correcting'. Over time, all the people prone to that behavior would be gone.

There was a newspaper article somewhere where one couple had overdosed 5-7 times. I can't remember the exact number.

Let them die
@240B

Offline Mom MD

I'm not against limited medical Marijuana, but if in general for the whole population, stop it if you can.

Pols see tax revenue. Period.  Colorado has pulled in a fortune in tax revenue, but with that come the problems of tax enforcement (about half the pot sold in the state is 'bootleg' untaxed pot), serious gang activity (Cartel), and a host of enforcement problems especially with driving under the influence and measuring impairment in any quantifiable way.
A friend left the Denver area over it, because of the rampant petit theft problems, auto burglaries and the like. It got so bad, he said, that the police were not even responding to property crimes, and later, when the pro-pot people ran out the statistics on crime in the area they used police reports as their indicator (IOW, if it didn't get written up, it was treated as if there was no crime).
Although this will catch some flack, it is a gateway drug, too, and any time someone uses something which affects judgement in the midst of a culture which does other more dangerous drugs the probability of an undesirable outcome increases significantly.

I totally agree with you. Legalized marijuana has brought nothing good to Colorado.  And the tax $ have not had that big of an impact - all the school boards are still asking for mil levy raises....
God is still in control

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The problem as I see it is there aren't affordable rehabilitation programs; the costs are astronomical. It's one thing if an addict is still on their parent's insurance but what about those who don't have any insurance?  Sure, they can go through detox but some form of rehab is needed and then AA and/or NA afterwards.
Apparently you must have missed  Obamacare, whereby EVERYBODY is supposed to have insurance, and Substance Treatment, is one of the MANDATED "Essential Health benefits," therein.

These days there is no shortage of "treatment and recovery" resources.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

There is no such thing as an 'Affordable Rehab' program, because they're all defective.

It is impossible to BS your own opinion into the mind and behaviors of a seemingly Non Addicted to drugs liberal on any number of issues.

How does one BS their own opinion (sobriety will Save You) into the mind of someone who lives to 'Chase The High'?

In the simplest of terms, follow the money.

Anyone working in the 'Rehab Industry' is a Con Artist.

They're either deluding themselves with into believing they're making a difference, or they're misleading whoever is Paying them.

The 'Rehab Industry' is Romper Room Social Engineering.

As the old Psychiatric joke goes:

How Many Shrinks does it take to change a light bulb?

A million of them couldn't do it.

The light bulb has to change itself.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com