Author Topic: Trump Will Allow ‘Dreamers’ to Stay in U.S., Reversing Campaign Promise  (Read 3569 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: NEW YORK TIMES

URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/politics/trump-will-allow-dreamers-to-stay-in-us-reversing-campaign-promise.html

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR

WASHINGTON — President Trump has officially reversed his campaign pledge to deport the so-called Dreamers, undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as small children.

The Department of Homeland Security announced late Thursday night that it would continue the Obama-era program intended to protect those immigrants from deportation and provide them work permits so they can find legal employment.

A fact sheet posted on the department’s website says immigrants enrolled in the 2012 program, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, “will continue to be eligible” to renew every two years and notes that “no work permits will be terminated prior to their current expiration dates.”

Immigration rights activists, who have fiercely battled Mr. Trump’s travel ban and increased enforcement of other immigration laws, hailed the decision.

“This is a big victory for Dreamers amid months of draconian and meanspirited immigration enforcement policy,” said David Leopold, an immigration lawyer. “The preservation of DACA is a tribute to the strength of the Dreamer movement and an acknowledgment — at least in part — by the Department of Homeland Security that it should not be targeting undocumented immigrants who have strong ties to their communities and have abided by the law.”

The decision is a reversal from Mr. Trump’s anti-immigrant rhetoric during the campaign and is likely to disappoint some of the president’s most ardent supporters, who view program started by former President Barack Obama as an illegal grant of amnesty.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Wait I got told last night that Trump has yet to go back on any campaign promises.  :pondering:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
In Trump We Trust, right Ann?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Ugh -- this is a terrible mistake.  Ending the DACA program was the best leverage Trump had to get funding for a wall/border security.  He should have announced that as long as Congress refused to secure the borders, everyone here illegally would be subject to deportation.

Force the RINO's to choose which way bitter medicine to swallow.

Offline NavyCanDo

In the end, Trump will prove to be more moderate than many of the candidates we said no to.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

I have no problem with this...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Mesaclone

Trump has not made any decisions on the long term policy with "Dreamers". This is just a temporary continuation of the policy in place...not to target them for Deportation when our hands are already full chasing down illegals who are committing crimes and who are entering illegally as adults. The "bargaining chip" of the Dreamers being in play to gain support for the wall is still available and will absolutely come into play in budget negotiations this fall.

Trump has brought illegal immigration down dramatically...nearly a 60% drop...with his policies. That is the definition of fulfilling has campaign promise to get illegal immigration under control. Further, he is fighting to get the wall built with contracting already under way along with cost analysis. While its true he can't get everything he wants at the tip of his hat, and sometimes discretion is the better part of valor as in this case with DACA participants...his "campaign promise" is actively being pursued by the President and his administration. By not focusing on DACA right NOW, he can focus on all other forms of illegal immigration and use DACA as a chip in the wall fight this fall in budget negotiations.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Mom MD

In the end, Trump will prove to be more moderate than many of the candidates we said no to.

Not moderate.   Liberal.  And this was a chance to elect a real constitutional conservative.   A nation gets the leader it deserves.  I guess this shows us how far gone we are
God is still in control

Offline Mom MD

Trump has not made any decisions on the long term policy with "Dreamers". This is just a temporary continuation of the policy in place...not to target them for Deportation when our hands are already full chasing down illegals who are committing crimes and who are entering illegally as adults. The "bargaining chip" of the Dreamers being in play to gain support for the wall is still available and will absolutely come into play in budget negotiations this fall.

Trump has brought illegal immigration down dramatically...nearly a 60% drop...with his policies. That is the definition of fulfilling has campaign promise to get illegal immigration under control. Further, he is fighting to get the wall built with contracting already under way along with cost analysis. While its true he can't get everything he wants at the tip of his hat, and sometimes discretion is the better part of valor as in this case with DACA participants...his "campaign promise" is actively being pursued by the President and his administration. By not focusing on DACA right NOW, he can focus on all other forms of illegal immigration and use DACA as a chip in the wall fight this fall in budget negotiations.

It's funny how some trump supporters will tie themselves in knots to not criticize anything he does   As a trump skeptic I'm willing to give him a nod when he does something right, but his ardent supporters can never admit when he goes back on what he campaigned on
God is still in control

Offline SirLinksALot

It's funny how some trump supporters will tie themselves in knots to not criticize anything he does   As a trump skeptic I'm willing to give him a nod when he does something right, but his ardent supporters can never admit when he goes back on what he campaigned on

A Man proven wrong against his will,

Is of the same opinion still.

I'm searching for a term that describes this -- Ahhh yes, COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:38:50 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

You should.  It's not incumbent upon us to take people who are here illegally, whether it's their fault, or not.  The nearly 2M 'dreamers,' along with the 10-15M other Mexican illegals are in a unique position to reform and improve their native country, instead of insisting ours conform to their needs.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

It is amusing at times.

Personally, though, I think Trump has made the right call on this - the "law abiding" Dreamers always were going to be a horrible problem to solve, and visiting the sins of the fathers on the sons is not really the jurisdiction of human law.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I'm fine if that's what actually happens.  However, the statement on the DHS website doesn't suggest anything of the sort. 

So that means that we're going to be handing out waivers that are valid for two full years right through the summer and into fall negotiotiations.  That doesn't permit revocation of work permits if funding on a border wall isn't reached.  Now, I assume there would be other Dreamers seeking extensions that could be denied beginning on whatever date the program would be ended.  But there doesn't seem to be even the vaguest hint, anywhere, that there is a plan to tie DACA to funding for a border wall.  I've seen it potentially tied to things like mandatory e-Verify, but not to a fence/wall.  Please prove me wrong, because I'd love to believe you're right.

@Mesaclone

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:52:02 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Yup. I've been very supportive of Trump's ambitious plans for NASA and space flight. He's got some great allies in Houston and Cap Canaveral by way of Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It is amusing at times.

Personally, though, I think Trump has made the right call on this - the "law abiding" Dreamers always were going to be a horrible problem to solve, and visiting the sins of the fathers on the sons is not really the jurisdiction of human law.

Nothing law abiding about people that are not here legally whether they come here on their own or are brought by family members.

Illegal is still illegal.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline kevindavis007

Yup. I've been very supportive of Trump's ambitious plans for NASA and space flight. He's got some great allies in Houston and Cap Canaveral by way of Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio.

Same here..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Nothing law abiding about people that are not here legally whether they come here on their own or are brought by family members.

Illegal is still illegal.

I'm not unwilling to compromise, but it's not a compromise when you get absolutely nothing in return.  DHS should have put out a statement extending DAPA only through the end of the fiscal year on September 30, which would have put a buttload of pressure on Senate Republicans to cut a deal.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:57:21 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It is amusing at times.

There is no such thing as a 'law abiding' dreamer. (Specifically referencing adults). Even if one overlooks coming here illegally (let's assume they were brought over as children so they didn't have a choice in that matter which covers many Dreamers), just to live here requires many laws to be broken. Identity theft, tax fraud, document fraud just to name a few crimes they have to commit just to live here.

Offline Mesaclone

I'm not unwilling to compromise, but it's not a compromise when you get absolutely nothing in return.  DHS should have put out a statement extending DAPA only through the end of the fiscal year on September 30, which would have put a buttload of pressure on Senate Republicans to cut a deal.

I wouldn't confuse a DHS statement with political strategy. DHS is going to paint a mild face on its policy...its the easier path for them as an agency. In the short term, this also lets the administration appear humane and reasonable...as someone said above, it was always going to be politically problematic to go after dreamers. That said, if the Dems are entirely unyielding in the fall on issues related to the Wall and immigration...the President has shown himself more than capable of playing hard ball, even on this issue. For now, I think its reasonable for him to play good cop while focusing on the more troubling aspects of illegal immigration.

The key point here is that if he killed the DAPA now, he certainly wouldn't have it available to bargain with when budget negotiations begin in earnest.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Yeah, I'd call him a Kennedy Democrat.

Offline the_doc

Trump seems only minimally conflicted, at best, when it comes to breaking promises.  I warned my pro-Trump friends that he would do this sort of thing over and over and over if he managed to get elected.  His book The Art of the Deal even boasts about this lovely lying.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, good comment.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Nor do I.  Punish those who break our laws, not innocent family members.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trump seems only minimally conflicted, at best, when it comes to breaking promises.  I warned my pro-Trump friends that he would do this sort of thing over and over and over if he managed to get elected.  His book The Art of the Deal even boasts about this lovely lying.

They didn't and do not care, because...because.... the wall!.... and SCOTUS appointments..... and payback!.... and stop Hillary!.... and... and ... Trump is going to save us!

Nevermind it was all a con.

We will enjoy the spectacle of the greatest twists of pretzel logic from True Believers to justify and excuse these things while they are apportioned to multi-dimensional chess that we simpletons cannot perceive.

Because they WANT to be deceived.

"...while evil men and imposters go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived". - II Timothy 3:13
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Nor do I.  Punish those who break our laws, not innocent family members.

Once they are adults and aware that they are here illegally...and do nothing to remedy the situation without special protection of the Liberals...they are just as guilty of breaking U.S. law as the parents who smuggled them here in the first place.