Author Topic: BREAKING! Congressman Steve Scalise, Aides shot at baseball practice  (Read 41733 times)

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Re: BREAKING! Congressman Steve Scalise, Aides shot at baseball practice
« Reply #850 on: June 16, 2017, 02:06:53 pm »
Federalism is not "legalese".  State sovereignty is not "legalese".  What is shocking is that so many so-called conservatives reject these concepts. 

Why should Pennsylvania be forced to adopt Texas' gun culture?

Putting aside legalistic argument of entitlements of government, it may be stipulated that the People have a right to the lowest possible violent crime rate. If it can be demonstrated that more prevalence of carrying of firearms by the general population has a direct effect of reducing the violent crime rate, then the People have a legal entitlement unless proscribed with specificity by law, to enjoy lower crime rates by virtue of the free and robust exercise of their entitlement to carry firearms.

If some of the citizens of one state or the other decide that they for whatever reason, want to restrict the ability of other free citizens to enjoy second amendment rights, then it is the ones seeking abridgement who acquire the burden of proof to enact a restriction on those rights, not the other way around.

And I get the idea about shouting being unnecessary, but I share the frustration with legalistic arguments which somehow seem to make the same case - that there exists in the Constitution some sort of (forgive me) "bitch's veto" embodied in states rights, wherein sovereignty issues somehow supersede Constitutional declarations whenever some grievance arises from disgruntled citizens with hoplophobic, Statist inclinations in regard to Constitutionally-cemented 2A freedoms.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:39:52 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Wingnut

« Reply #851 on: June 16, 2017, 02:09:24 pm »
I look at it more as we're giving the Liberal the education on the Constitution he didn't get in school.
But you should never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #852 on: June 16, 2017, 02:10:29 pm »
Sheesh............. I hate to be on topic here, in the middle of this riveting discussion, but does anyone know how Steve Scalise is doing?

Have there been any updates?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #853 on: June 16, 2017, 02:13:03 pm »
Federalism is not "legalese".  State sovereignty is not "legalese".  What is shocking is that so many so-called conservatives reject these concepts. 

Why should Pennsylvania be forced to adopt Texas' gun culture?

Modern conservatism only accepts what is convenient to their own state of rage at the moment. The movement isn't based on reason whatsoever anymore.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #854 on: June 16, 2017, 02:15:08 pm »

Move to Texas if you want to wave your rifle in the public square.  Stay the hell out of my state.

Histrionics: Jazzhead waving his opinions around in the public square.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #855 on: June 16, 2017, 02:17:02 pm »
Sheesh............. I hate to be on topic here, in the middle of this riveting discussion, but does anyone know how Steve Scalise is doing?

Haven't heard or seen anything since yesterday.

Hoping that no news is good news.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #856 on: June 16, 2017, 02:19:28 pm »
Histrionics: Jazzhead waving his opinions around in the public square.

Hell, in Michigan we can open carry in the state capitol building yet still no shootings there.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #857 on: June 16, 2017, 02:23:15 pm »

888high58888

And, there is this thread, but I don't see much new:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,267529.0/topicseen.html

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #858 on: June 16, 2017, 02:23:28 pm »
Hell, in Michigan we can open carry in the state capitol building yet still no shootings there.

I don't know much but it seems like there is a difference between carrying and waving. But, that is just me.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #859 on: June 16, 2017, 02:23:57 pm »
Modern conservatism only accepts what is convenient to their own state of rage at the moment. The movement isn't based on reason whatsoever anymore.

QFT.  And the sad thing it, it used to be.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #860 on: June 16, 2017, 02:25:35 pm »
I don't know much but it seems like there is a difference between carrying and waving. But, that is just me.

I guess if you don't know what you are talking about, waving might make sense.   :laugh:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #862 on: June 16, 2017, 02:26:45 pm »
Not surprised at your left of center rhetoric.  Your wholesale defense of anything Islamic provided a strong hint.

Support for federalism and state sovereignty is not "left of center rhetoric".  (And neither is opposition to religious bigotry.) 

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #863 on: June 16, 2017, 02:26:55 pm »

Waving apparently weakens the bladders of those susceptible to it who are nearby.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #864 on: June 16, 2017, 02:29:31 pm »
And vice versa....we don't like liberals.

In my 59 years on this planet, not one minute of it has been spent in the state of Texas.   I do, however, own every Jerry Jeff Walker record ever issued.   

Wingnut

« Reply #865 on: June 16, 2017, 02:30:41 pm »
In my 59 years on this planet, not one minute of it has been spent in the state of Texas.   I do, however, own every Jerry Jeff Walker record ever issued.

I think we all know you are All hat and no cattle.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #866 on: June 16, 2017, 02:32:51 pm »

Last night at 10PM Central the report was that he is improving but would remain hospitalized for some time. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #867 on: June 16, 2017, 02:35:57 pm »
Last night at 10PM Central the report was that he is improving but would remain hospitalized for some time.

Thank you!  I haven't listened to any news, nor have I seen any updates on Fox.

I have a feeling his road to recovery is going to be a long, hard one....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #868 on: June 16, 2017, 02:40:42 pm »
Thank you!  I haven't listened to any news, nor have I seen any updates on Fox.

I have a feeling his road to recovery is going to be a long, hard one....

I suspect you are right! But Steve is a VERY tough guy and will fight hard to recover fully!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #870 on: June 16, 2017, 02:44:49 pm »
Annnnddddd - the first false flag conspiracy theory from the right has reared it's head.  22222frying pan 22222frying pan 22222frying pan

Anyone wants to read it, either PM me for link (or google "Columbo Investigates Scalise.")
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #871 on: June 16, 2017, 02:51:19 pm »
Annnnddddd - the first false flag conspiracy theory from the right has reared it's head.  22222frying pan 22222frying pan 22222frying pan

Anyone wants to read it, either PM me for link (or google "Columbo Investigates Scalise.")

Encyclopedia of American Loons

#787: Terry "Hurtbutt" Hurlbut

Silver Pines

« Reply #872 on: June 16, 2017, 02:54:58 pm »
States and communities have had the right to regulate open carry from the founding of the Republic.  There is no court case - none - that says otherwise.   

Move to Texas if you want to wave your rifle in the public square.  Stay the hell out of my state.

@Jazzhead

Bad law in general has been around from the founding of the Republic. I would categorize any law that infringes on our right to bear arms as bad, by definition.

By the way, you're talking about brandishing, not bearing, which of course are two different things. 

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #873 on: June 16, 2017, 02:55:25 pm »

It never takes long does it.

I've already seen claims that the police allowed the shooting to happen till they themselves were personally shot at.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #874 on: June 16, 2017, 02:57:12 pm »
States and communities have had the right to regulate open carry from the founding of the Republic.  There is no court case - none - that says otherwise.   

No worries.  I have absolutely no desire to live in or visit your state.   
God is still in control