Author Topic: Fred A. Kummerow, an Early Opponent of Trans Fats, Dies at 102  (Read 455 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Science
Fred A. Kummerow, an Early Opponent of Trans Fats, Dies at 102

Fred A. Kummerow, a German-born biochemist and lifelong contrarian whose nearly 50 years of advocacy led to a federal government ban on the use of trans-fatty acids in processed foods, a ruling that could prevent tens of thousands of premature deaths a year, died on Wednesday at his home in Urbana, Ill. He was 102.

His family announced his death. He had been a longtime professor at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.

Artificial trans fats — derived from the hydrogen-treated oils used to give margarine its easy-to-spread texture and prolong the shelf life of crackers, cookies, icing and hundreds of other staples in the American diet — were ruled unsafe by the Food and Drug Administration partly in response to a lawsuit that Professor Kummerow filed against the agency in 2013, two months shy of his 99th birthday. The ban, announced in 2015, goes into effect in 2018.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/science/fred-kummerow-dead-biochemist-ban-trans-fatty-acids.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:59:25 pm by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Fred A. Kummerow, an Early Opponent of Trans Fats, Dies at 102
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 02:04:10 pm »
I hope this guy burns in hell. He and his kind told us that animal fats that our body digest easily were dangerous. Then they told us that the replacements were dangerous. They are all a bunch of evil shitbags.

I'm adding this guy to my list of peoples graves to piss on.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Fred A. Kummerow, an Early Opponent of Trans Fats, Dies at 102
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 03:13:29 pm »
I hope this guy burns in hell. He and his kind told us that animal fats that our body digest easily were dangerous. Then they told us that the replacements were dangerous. They are all a bunch of evil shitbags.

I'm adding this guy to my list of peoples graves to piss on.

"Artificial trans fats''