Author Topic: AL city requires teens get $110 business license to mow grass for grandparents  (Read 1051 times)

rangerrebew

AL city requires teens get $110 business license to mow grass for grandparents
June 1, 2017
By Victor Skinner

An Alabama teen mowing lawns to save money over the summer received her first lesson in business when officials determined she needs a $110 business license to operate in her neighborhood.

Alainna Parris told ABC 30/40 she was “just helping out and raising money for missions and trips” by cutting lawns for folks in her grandparents’ neighborhood when she was threatened by a lawn care worker for a local business.

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/al-mayor-demands-teens-get-110-business-license-mow-grass-grandparents/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:11:39 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Mayor says he wants to fix the problem by creating other types of licenses.
By Eric Boehm
http://reason.com/blog/2017/06/01/teen-must-get-110-business-license-to-cu/print

Out in the suburbs, cutting grass in the summertime is one of those classic starter jobs, an opportunity for
teenagers to get out of the house, make a little money, and gain a little independence. Everyone's got a lawn, no
one wants to mow it, and, hey, all these kids don't have anything to do while they're out of school for a few months.

Alainna Parris, of Gardendale, Ala., was engaged in that bit of Americana this spring, offering to cut her neighbors'
lawns for $20, $30, or $40. She was, that is, until someone working for another lawn service threatened to report
her to city officials for cutting lawns without a license, according to ABC 33/40 in Birmingham.

A business license from the city costs $110.

"One of the men that cuts several yards made a remark to one of our neighbors, 'that if he saw her cutting grass
again that he was going to call Gardendale because she didn't have a business license,'" Elton Campbell, Alainna's
grandmother, told the television station.

"He's coming after a kid when a kid is at least trying to do work. There's kids at home on iPads and electronics and
not wanting to go outside," Parris said, according to ABC 33/40 . . .

Do I dare ask whether (and where) kids in winter weather have to obtain hundred-dollar-plus business licenses
to shovel snow around the neighbourhood for fun and profit?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Oceander

Offline Frank Cannon

The problem here isn't the fact that the kid is slammed with this license fee. The problem is this city making anyone pay the fee. What the hell type of shitbags hit people with lawn care licenses.........oh yeah. People in the dump they call Alabama.

Online DB

Land of the free has become a cruel joke.

Wingnut

Several cities did this to kids with lemonade stands.  Closed them down and wrote them tickets.  Smart towns ammended their ordinances to accommodate kid enterprises.  Sounds like B'ham hates young white entrepreneurs.

Online Polly Ticks

Good Lord.  The next thing you know, they'll be saying a kid has to have a license to earn his allowance by doing chores around the house. 

Pathetic.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

Good Lord.  The next thing you know, they'll be saying a kid has to have a license to earn his allowance by doing chores around the house. 

Pathetic.
@Polly Ticks
Don't say another word! (Never give the bastards any ideas! ;) )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Polly Ticks

@Polly Ticks
Don't say another word! (Never give the bastards any ideas! ;) )

:nometalk:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Frank Cannon

Pathetic.

No, but I'll bet there are some governments trying to figure out how to tax allowances.

Offline EasyAce

Several cities did this to kids with lemonade stands.  Closed them down and wrote them tickets.  Smart towns ammended their ordinances to accommodate kid enterprises.  Sounds like B'ham hates young white entrepreneurs.
I got news for you---they ain't too crazy about black, brown, or beige enterpreneurs, either.

Offline EasyAce

No, but I'll bet there are some governments trying to figure out how to tax allowances.

I said it to Polly, too---don't say another word! don't give the bastards any more ideas!

( . . . he says while pondering whether they'll start taxing school bake sales, assuming Michelle Obama's
school lunch mandates aren't still in effect . . . )

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Wingnut

I got news for you---they ain't too crazy about black, brown, or beige enterpreneurs, either.

Equal opportunity offenders.  Nice. 

Offline Mod2

Merged threads on same topic

Offline Suppressed

The problem here isn't the fact that the kid is slammed with this license fee. The problem is this city making anyone pay the fee. What the hell type of shitbags hit people with lawn care licenses.........oh yeah. People in the dump they call Alabama.

You've never heard of business licenses?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn