Author Topic: Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador  (Read 24790 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said that Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information Trump relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-revealed-highly-classified-information-to-russian-foreign-minister-and-ambassador/2017/05/15/530c172a-3960-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?tid=ss_fb-bottom&utm_term=.f9f791978bfe

Offline DiogenesLamp

Well of course anything the Washington Post writes is credible. 

It's not like they have an agenda or anything. 

Beyond that, the President can declassify anything he damn well pleases. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

geronl

We need an emoji that looks shell-shocked and has a palm print on it's face from face-palming so much.

geronl

not without consequences though

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Well of course anything the Washington Post writes is credible. 

It's not like they have an agenda or anything. 

I'll grant that WaPo is a slime leftist rag.

OTOH....  If this is true, and our military interests are put in harms way.....   I'd hope Trump would do the honorable thing, and hand the reins over to Pence.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:44:32 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DiogenesLamp

not without consequences though

If the Washington Post was concerned about consequences,  they wouldn't have been licking Obama's @$$ for all these years he's been bungling Syria and Iran and Korea.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
.....Beyond that, the President can declassify anything he damn well pleases.

Common misconception. The President does have classification authority, but to declassify, if it isn't related to the classification date expiring, requires a very specific process. The President can authorize that process, but he can't just deem it so.

(example of one EO on the matter.. most continue this same process) https://fas.org/sgp/bush/eoamend.html

This came under big scrutiny with Obama regarding the leaking of Osama raid information to filmmakers (including revealing names of SEALS involved). The left argued just as you said, he can 'do what he damn well pleases' regarding classification.  Judicial watch submitted hundreds of pages of argument against the legality of this action. (of course, our side didn't pursue it).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:51:11 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline DiogenesLamp

Common misconception. The President does have classification authority, but to declassify, if it isn't related to the classification date expiring, requires a very specific process. The President can authorize that process, but he can't just deem it so.

(example of one EO on the matter.. most continue this same process) https://fas.org/sgp/bush/eoamend.html

This came under big scrutiny with Obama regarding the leaking of Osama raid information to filmmakers (including revealing names of SEALS involved). The left argued just as you said, he can 'do what he damn well pleases' regarding classification.  Judicial watch submitted hundreds of pages of argument against the legality of this action. (of course, our side didn't pursue it).

I will take your word for it that there is a "legal"  process,   but I will counter that likely the President can defacto declassify things without concerning himself about the process. 

Who's going to tell him "no",  and who's going to punish him if he does it anyway? 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline r9etb

I will take your word for it that there is a "legal"  process,   but I will counter that likely the President can defacto declassify things without concerning himself about the process. 

Who's going to tell him "no",  and who's going to punish him if he does it anyway?

All moot.  The president gets to decide "need to know," and classified information could be passed on to whomever under that understanding.

Offline DiogenesLamp

All moot.  The president gets to decide "need to know," and classified information could be passed on to whomever under that understanding.

The thought occurred to me that perhaps he saw some value in revealing this to the Russians.   

I don't know.   I don't know what he knows,  so I can't speak to it with any authority.

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline r9etb

The thought occurred to me that perhaps he saw some value in revealing this to the Russians.   

I don't know.   I don't know what he knows,  so I can't speak to it with any authority.

I think if he did it, it's because he's an idiot who speaks before thinking.  But he does get to decide on "need to know" in such circumstances.

Offline DiogenesLamp

I think if he did it, it's because he's an idiot who speaks before thinking. 

That is a possibility as well,   but for an "idiot"  he does seem to win a lot. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fox reporting this story...with the term *supposedly*....and John Roberts reports that the POTUS can release info if he chooses...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online kevindavis007

Just as long as it is our guy doing it right? What would you be saying if Hillary had done it?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline DiogenesLamp

Just as long as it is our guy doing it right? What would you be saying if Hillary had done it?

I would be saying "I'm not surprised she did that,  because she is an idiot."   

"And corrupt."

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Right_in_Virginia

If she were President and CIC, then Hillary could do it.

Offline anubias

"And corrupt."

Exactly.  I would be wondering how much they will be donating to the Clinton Foundation.

I don't have the same expectations of corruption for Trump.  He may eventually prove me wrong, but I suspect he did it for a good reason and WAPO is reporting it trying to cause more trouble.  When the Media cries "Wolf" constantly, it loses its bite.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Exactly.  I would be wondering how much they will be donating to the Clinton Foundation.

I don't have the same expectations of corruption for Trump.  He may eventually prove me wrong, but I suspect he did it for a good reason and WAPO is reporting it trying to cause more trouble.  When the Media cries "Wolf" constantly, it loses its bite.

That's a thought I just had a little while ago.   *This*  is the latest media rant story of the week.   

Much of the public is tuning out. 

— Lord Melbourne —

geronl

I don't have the same expectations of corruption for Trump.

lol, then you don't know him too well.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

So true.  I mean every day the media comes out with a new negative story about Trump and two days later it either wasn't true or didn't mean enough to matter.

So, yeah, instead of an automatic 'blame Trump' button that I see from some, I have an automatic "it's the press ... let's wait and see if it's true and if it matters" button.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fox is suspicious of this story and I think we should be too.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline NavyCanDo

Not true. He does have limitations on what he can declassify on his own.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline beandog

Fox is suspicious of this story and I think we should be too.
What, you don't believe the Washington Compost and "Unnamed sources". :silly:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Mark Warner‏Verified account @MarkWarner 55m55 minutes ago

Mark Warner Retweeted Washington Post

If true, this is a slap in the face to the intel community. Risking sources & methods is inexcusable, particularly with the Russians.

Jeremy Diamond‏Verified account @JDiamond1 60m60 minutes ago

McCain on report Trump shared code-word classified info w/ Russians: "If it's true, I would say it's disturbing."
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Josh Barro‏Verified account @jbarro

Josh Barro Retweeted Bret Baier

That is not hard pushback, since the WaPo story does not claim they discussed sources, methods, or military ops. A non-denial denial.
Support the USO