Author Topic: A Vietnam vet's funeral ignited social media outcry because he wasn't in a coffinby  (Read 3115 times)

rangerrebew

A Vietnam vet's funeral ignited social media outcry because he wasn't in a coffin
by Circa News

May 12, 2017

A dispute erupted on social media following circulating images and video of a veteran's funeral in which the corpse is on display without a coffin, affiliate KATV reported. As of 1 p.m. Friday, a post published by Ella Moss has been shared more than 1,800 times.

http://circa.com/circa-now/trending/this-veterans-funeral-takes-open-casket-to-the-next-level
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:19:30 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Terrible is right. Surely the stupid funeral parlor coups have notified the family prior and they would have found people to help pay like in their church, or town, or fund me, something, anything.

I would have contributed.

Disgraceful.

Ought to write to their congressman and complain.

G-d bless our veterans  :patriot:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:39:57 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Wingnut

Well at least one guy didn't complain.  So the Funeral home has that going for them. 100% customer service rating.

geronl

Was it a funeral pyre? Did they float him out on water while burning?
 :chairbang:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It's unfortunate that his family and community didn't handle this better, but I'm having a hard time getting too outraged over it.  I'm saving outrage for things that matter more, either in this life or the next. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Where was The American Legion? If notified, they would have taken care of it.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Our entire funeral industry is messed up.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Can't even get 'death care' right...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

You can say that again.
A family friend recently died - His son built his coffin; he was buried on his own land, in the family plot; the service was held there, and was potluck; the excavation was donated by a friend of the family...

But it still required handling and embalming by a funeral home. A thousand bucks went away putting that man in the ground. It should have cost nothing.

geronl

You can say that again.
A family friend recently died - His son built his coffin; he was buried on his own land, in the family plot; the service was held there, and was potluck; the excavation was donated by a friend of the family...

But it still required handling and embalming by a funeral home. A thousand bucks went away putting that man in the ground. It should have cost nothing.

:thumbsup:

Offline Frank Cannon

I don't know. I thought coffinless funerals were a trend.....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Some trends should never be.

Offline Idiot

You can say that again.

We had a local Rancher, who is pretty much a legend in Texas, pass away a few years back.  The coffin was built by a local man...pretty much a pine box.  He was carried to the grave site by horse and wagon, where the family members drove nails in the coffin to seal it.  After the service the family and friends grabbed shovels to fill in the grave.  It was a very modest funeral and likely wasn't expensive at all, for a great great man.  He was worth millions, but lived in the bunkhouse with the other cowboys.  One of the kindest men I've ever met.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/21/us/watkins-matthews-rancher-from-bygone-era-dies-at-98.html

@roamer_1

Offline roamer_1

We had a local Rancher, who is pretty much a legend in Texas, pass away a few years back.  The coffin was built by a local man...pretty much a pine box.  He was carried to the grave site by horse and wagon, where the family members drove nails in the coffin to seal it.  After the service the family and friends grabbed shovels to fill in the grave.  It was a very modest funeral and likely wasn't expensive at all, for a great great man.  He was worth millions, but lived in the bunkhouse with the other cowboys.  One of the kindest men I've ever met.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/21/us/watkins-matthews-rancher-from-bygone-era-dies-at-98.html

@mrpotatohead

Yep Same kind of deal, although certainly not so famous.
The guy I am talking about was a bit of a legend himself, among mountain folk, a game warden for a while, but really a dispensary of mountain knowledge and lore, like no other I know. He knew his way around every sort of wild forage, trapping and hunting... And was always willing to take the time to teach. A brilliant man, who lived outside of modernity, almost completely.

And it was right to put him away simply, as he had lived. The emphasis was on the memories, and the gathering, as he would have wanted it. Mores the pity that the nannies, even at the county level, had to butt in.

As an aside, you might enjoy 'The Drift'... a PBS documentary about cattle drives up here... I never rode this one (the Green River Drift) but I have rode similar, and been a range rider too for a few years... It's an ode to a dying breed... I hate to see it leaving. Another generation, and the cowboy will be gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DftjIAw5Pug

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You can say that again.

Did they require a vault, too?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

It's unfortunate that his family and community didn't handle this better, but I'm having a hard time getting too outraged over it.  I'm saving outrage for things that matter more, either in this life or the next.
The family reportedly agreed to this. It was (unrelated) social media warriors who raised a stink.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

Did they require a vault, too?

I don't actually recall... I wasn't there for the excavation... Though i as I remember the internment, no, I don't remember him lowered into concrete.

Offline berdie

I don't know. I thought coffinless funerals were a trend.....

Very often when I go to a funeral, I hear people say "how natural" the dearly departed looks after viewing. This gives a whole new meaning to that phrase.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The family reportedly agreed to this. It was (unrelated) social media warriors who raised a stink.  :shrug:

Ah, that makes sense.  Selective outrage.

Offline berdie

Ah, that makes sense.  Selective outrage.

After reading the article, I had questions.

I assist in our insurance where I work (among other things..I am a jack of all trades, master of none).

Usually if a life insurance policy is pledged to a funeral home, they honor it. The payment was being overnighted to the funeral home.

I think you have hit the nail on the head...selective outrage.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
After reading the article, I had questions.

I assist in our insurance where I work (among other things..I am a jack of all trades, master of none).

Usually if a life insurance policy is pledged to a funeral home, they honor it. The payment was being overnighted to the funeral home.

I think you have hit the nail on the head...selective outrage.

We still need to treat our veterans better. I think everyone here agrees with this.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline berdie

We still need to treat our veterans better. I think everyone here agrees with this.

I don't disagree at all.

Offline Idiot

@mrpotatohead

Yep Same kind of deal, although certainly not so famous.
The guy I am talking about was a bit of a legend himself, among mountain folk, a game warden for a while, but really a dispensary of mountain knowledge and lore, like no other I know. He knew his way around every sort of wild forage, trapping and hunting... And was always willing to take the time to teach. A brilliant man, who lived outside of modernity, almost completely.

And it was right to put him away simply, as he had lived. The emphasis was on the memories, and the gathering, as he would have wanted it. Mores the pity that the nannies, even at the county level, had to butt in.

As an aside, you might enjoy 'The Drift'... a PBS documentary about cattle drives up here... I never rode this one (the Green River Drift) but I have rode similar, and been a range rider too for a few years... It's an ode to a dying breed... I hate to see it leaving. Another generation, and the cowboy will be gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DftjIAw5Pug

Thank you so much....I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. 

@roamer_1

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:33:38 am by mrpotatohead »

Offline roamer_1

Thank you so much....I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. 

:beer: