Author Topic: A Vietnam vet's funeral ignited social media outcry because he wasn't in a coffinby  (Read 3116 times)

Offline mountaineer

We still need to treat our veterans better. I think everyone here agrees with this.
Absolutely.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

When I leave port for the final time ( thought I'd wax poetic ) I get cremated, stuff my ashes in a container, then it gets taken to Ft. Custer National Cemetery, and planted with all the other military.  Of course this is all arranged before that happens ( I am still typing ).  Note, I didn't say anything about a funeral, since there won't be one; no memorial, no nothing.  Funerals are so barbaric and put such a strain on the families it just isn't fair to them.  It is great for the undertaker who makes thousands.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:04:49 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
When I leave port for the final time ( thought I'd wax poetic ) I get cremated, stuff my ashes in a container, then it gets taken to Ft. Custer National Cemetery, and planted with all the other military.  Of course this is all arranged before that happens ( I am still typing ).  Note, I didn't say anything about a funeral, since there won't be one; no memorial, no nothing.  Funerals are so barbaric and put such a strain on the families it just isn't fair to them.  It is great for the undertaker who makes thousands.

Similar plans here, but I do want a party/wake.  I would like for it to be a good and joyful event where everybody eats and drinks and I'm remembered (hopefully) for the good I did here, and maybe the silly too, and joyful in that I'm going home and into the next stage.  People need an opportunity to make peace with the idea that so-and-so won't be there and available to them any more. 

Online Polly Ticks

Similar plans here, but I do want a party/wake.  I would like for it to be a good and joyful event where everybody eats and drinks and I'm remembered (hopefully) for the good I did here, and maybe the silly too, and joyful in that I'm going home and into the next stage.  People need an opportunity to make peace with the idea that so-and-so won't be there and available to them any more.

Agreed.  Also, it's also one of the few times extended families seem to get together much anymore.  My grandmother passed away in September, and I saw cousins at her funeral that I hadn't seen in 20 years. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I want the funeral they do in Tibet. Leave me out for the buzzards so they get a good meal.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I want the funeral they do in Tibet. Leave me out for the buzzards so they get a good meal.
Not me. The estate would go to fines for poisoning the danged birds...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Yep... Me too... Something with tailgates and a bonfire... Some of my pickin' buddies might throw together an impromptu band and play some good tunes, just like we used to do back in the day... But if that don't happen, just take the speakers out of the truck and put them on the toolbox, and play something Country.

I always wanted to be cremated, and my ashes thrown into Meadow Creek Gorge - If folks want a remembrance, all they'd need to do is go down to the river, anywhere on the river, because a little piece of me will be there somewhere... The best things in my life have that river flowing through.

But I doubt I'll get the chance. No doubt my sister will outlive me, and she'll have none of it, I am sure. I will get 3ft x 6ft in the family plot, stuffed side by each with my family.
Doesn't make for much elbow room, in my mind.

When I die, take my saddle from the wall,
Throw it on my pony, and lead him from his stall,
Put my bones upon his back, turn out faces to the west,
and we'll ride the prairies that we loved the best...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:26:26 pm by roamer_1 »

Wingnut

I want my remains spread like how The Dude and Walter did to scatter Donny's ashes!

Online Polly Ticks

I want my remains spread like how The Dude and Walter did to scatter Donny's ashes!

LOL

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
You can say that again.
A family friend recently died - His son built his coffin; he was buried on his own land, in the family plot; the service was held there, and was potluck; the excavation was donated by a friend of the family...

But it still required handling and embalming by a funeral home. A thousand bucks went away putting that man in the ground. It should have cost nothing.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/416442296765498728/

Wingnut