Author Topic: Tennessee 'natural meaning' law raises fears in LGBT community  (Read 2817 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam on Friday enacted a bill that critics say is an underhanded way of denying rights to same-sex couples by insisting on the "natural and ordinary meaning" of words in state statues.

The legislation, which was signed by the Republican governor despite pressure from civil liberty and gay-rights groups, requires words in Tennessee law be interpreted with their "natural and ordinary meaning, without forced or subtle construction that would limit or extend the meaning of the language." It did not explain, however, what that means.

Civil rights and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocates warned the law is meant to undermine the rights of same-sex couples in any statutes that include words like "husband," "wife," "mother" or "father."

Neither of the two sponsoring lawmakers, Republican state Senator John Stevens and Republican state Representative Andrew Farmer, could be reached to comment.

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennessee-lgbt-idUSKBN1812EW
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Tennessee 'natural meaning' law raises fears in LGBT community
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:24:47 pm »
Cry me a handful. I have absolutely NO sympathy for a group of fascists that has been trying to ram their abhorrent philosophy down the majority's throat for the last 8 years.

I do not think I am the only one with this opinion either.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01:24:32 pm »
Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam on Friday enacted a bill that critics say is an underhanded way of denying rights to same-sex couples by insisting on the "natural and ordinary meaning" of words in state statues.

The legislation, which was signed by the Republican governor despite pressure from civil liberty and gay-rights groups, requires words in Tennessee law be interpreted with their "natural and ordinary meaning, without forced or subtle construction that would limit or extend the meaning of the language." It did not explain, however, what that means.

Civil rights and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocates warned the law is meant to undermine the rights of same-sex couples in any statutes that include words like "husband," "wife," "mother" or "father."

Neither of the two sponsoring lawmakers, Republican state Senator John Stevens and Republican state Representative Andrew Farmer, could be reached to comment.

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennessee-lgbt-idUSKBN1812EW

Just one more reason to be proud of my fellow Tennesseans.  This legislation is a refreshing step in the right direction!  The folks arguing against are actually arguing for the ability to make tortured misdefinitions of commonly-understood terms for the purpose of subverting the plain meaning of the laws in question.  And that's clear to anyone paying attention.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »
Tennessee state law doesn't already provide for this, by statute or case law?  That's a little odd.  "Plain meaning" is SOP in most places. 

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 01:46:08 pm »
Tennessee state law doesn't already provide for this, by statute or case law?  That's a little odd.  "Plain meaning" is SOP in most places.

I'm not sure.  It probably already did, and the left busily redefined "plain meaning" to be understood as whatever tortured constructions they could come up with.  At any rate, this statute should be very difficult for them to redefine to mean, "we can claim the terms mean whatever we want them to mean."
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 01:53:02 pm »
I also want to call attention to Tennessee's passage of the Tennessee Infants Protection Act, which prohibits abortion of a viable fetus except in a medical emergency and requires testing to determine viability if a woman is at least 20 weeks pregnant.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:53:35 pm by Doug Loss »
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 10:23:37 pm »
"Civil rights and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocates warned the law is meant to undermine the rights of same-sex couples in any statutes that include words like "husband," "wife," "mother" or "father.""

No.

More correctly stated:
"the law is intended to prevent others from distorting words like "husband," "wife," "mother" or "father," and prevent their misuse or redefinition by LGBT advocates...

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 12:21:03 pm »
For the life of me, I cannot understand why conservative politicians live in such fear of a group (LBGT) that as a whole probably consists of less than 2% of the total US population.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:24:27 pm »
Cry me a handful. I have absolutely NO sympathy for a group of fascists that has been trying to ram their abhorrent philosophy down the majority's throat for the last 8 years.

Nope, you aren't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 12:53:00 pm »
For the life of me, I cannot understand why conservative politicians live in such fear of a group (LBGT) that as a whole probably consists of less than 2% of the total US population.

@Joe Wooten

It isn't just politicians; it's many conservatives in general.  We're good at talking among ourselves about the state of things, but a lot of us shrink from anything else because we don't like confrontation, or don't want to be accused of (insert label). 

I have friends and family who watch what they say on social media because they want "likes."

Meanwhile, the left fights.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:08 pm »
@Joe Wooten

It isn't just politicians; it's many conservatives in general.  We're good at talking among ourselves about the state of things, but a lot of us shrink from anything else because we don't like confrontation, or don't want to be accused of (insert label). 

I have friends and family who watch what they say on social media because they want "likes."

Personally, I could care less about FaceCrack. I got on there once to see what all the fuss was about 5-6 years ago, but have never ben back. I really do not care of some libs like me or not. I will not stray from the truth. Sometimes it makes the wife's Cook County childhood friends uncomfortable but I will not shut up in order to have them "like" me. I like Vox Day's "ZFG" attitude on dealings with the left.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 01:07:57 pm »
Personally, I could care less about FaceCrack. I got on there once to see what all the fuss was about 5-6 years ago, but have never ben back. I really do not care of some libs like me or not. I will not stray from the truth. Sometimes it makes the wife's Cook County childhood friends uncomfortable but I will not shut up in order to have them "like" me. I like Vox Day's "ZFG" attitude on dealings with the left.

a billion people have facebook accounts.

The behavior you describe doesn't make you a knight in shining armor, it makes you a jerk who doesn't care about other people.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 01:32:42 pm »
What those people should be afraid of is the creeping Islamization of this country.  This seems more fearful than a practical law.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 01:43:45 pm »
@Joe Wooten

And there you have it.
Once the race/phobic card is played it's game over for many.

Most conservatives are just too darn nice and decent to retaliate against these ad hominem fallacies and the Left knows this.

It is time conservatives take to heart the immortal words of the old sage Alice Cooper, No more Mister Nice Guy! and bludgeon the leftist jerks with their own accusations.

Barba non facit philosophum.

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 01:51:46 pm »
I don't know what "Natural Meaning" is.  But I sure know Unnatural when I see it!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 02:00:53 pm »

Actually, it's been about half a century. I remember during the sixties  as a teen reading  a huge article in Time magazine concerning the homosexual movement. One of the heads of some homo org. at the time predicted the growth of the movement with the idea to make homosexuality on the same plane as heterosexuality.
They have basically achieved all their goals. The only other thing left for them is to try and force non-homosexuals to swear an oath to loving the practice.  That might take a lot longer to happen.  Like maybe never.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 02:31:42 pm »
That a legislature feels the need to make such a law speaks volumes.  I think that any person who gives it some thought would want "natural meanings" to apply to legislation.  If you consider how law has been twisted in so many regards, the safeguards on "natural meanings" would make sense to any citizen.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 02:36:27 pm »

The behavior you describe doesn't make you a knight in shining armor, it makes you a jerk who doesn't care about other people.

I hope that was meant sarcastically.  Because it's pretty much untrue.  Being strong enough to tell the truth even when shrieked at by the irrational, hate-filled left is a trait we should all aspire to.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 02:40:56 pm »
That less than 2% controls the hearts and minds of especially the younger generation, through media, academia, and very wealthy and powerful allies (pink money). If you dare speak out against it, it gets personal, quickly-- look at how many times you see gay activists declare someone an "enemy" and seek to destroy them. Ask the owners of Arlene's Flowers or Sweet Cakes by Melissa.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 02:51:10 pm »

And again, I don't give a damn what you or anyone else thinks about me. I'll voice my opinion whether you like it or not. Try to drown me out or retaliate against me and I'll reply in kind. As was said above: No More Mr. Nice Guy

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 03:12:13 pm »

Because they have more fear of being falsely labeled as intolerant than they have courage to stand up and do what's right.

Plus the gay mafia plays on people ignorance or lack of knowledge of what their agenda is.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 03:17:17 pm »

He's being honest. Because he doesn't agree with the LGBTQXYZ narrative being pushed doesn't make him uncaring or a jerk. They aren't being denied any constitutional right you or I  enjoy. 

You've fallen for the liberal narrative that if youbdont support what they are trying g to do you are uncaring or unfeeling.

And that's just wrong.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 12:20:44 am »

So let me get this straight (pun intended).

If you are a Leftist and say something, whether or not it is true, and you are in disagreement with everyone else in the room, you have "Spoken truth to power" and should be celebrated--but if you are a Conservative and speak the truth in a room full of people who are deluded into believing otherwise, you are a thing to be attacked as "uncaring and unfeeling".

It is called "Tough love." It isn't warm and cuddly, it speaks the truth, warts and all, and points out the fallacies of people's thinking because the alternative is to allow people to go unchecked down a path that will cause far more pain and suffering.

You don't let your kid play with matches because fire is "pretty" and they'd cry if you took them away--you stop them because self-immolation is far uglier.

If bath houses had been closed and people "uncaringly" tracked down and quarantined, at least until the disease (then called GRID, for Gay Related Immune Disorder, but now known as HIV/AIDS) was better understood, maybe 1.3 million people (just here in the US) would not be dying of a lethal disease that will cost the rest of us Americans a Trillion dollars for just the people infected now.
That doesn't take into account the cost of letting it jet-set around the world, where it is killing even more people. Nor does it take into account the collateral damage done to other research efforts and health care systems.
Nope. Instead "caring" people who attacked the "-phobic" and demanded their "rights" agitated to be 'left alone' with the result that millions are dying.

See how that works?

As for the offended gig, got it. Eff it. Waah. Let 'em squirm. I will call 'em as I see 'em, and if their "diversity" doesn't allow for that, tough. If what I have to say is ignored, it will be done at their personal, self-inflicted, peril. I have known a lot of people who pursued paths I would not advise, and I can visit their graves today. They would have been roughly my age had they survived their fallacies.

I won't bother with "I told you so.", because there really is no satisfaction in in surveying the devastation I and others like me have tried to prevent.

But don't bother to come whining to me about the mess made against my advice and expect me to have any sympathy for self-inflicted wounds. "You broke it, you bought it" applies. I'll give (what should be familiar) advice on how to fix it, but I won't do the work.

And oh, yeah,  No more Mr. Nice Guy. If it takes being considered a sonofab*tch to keep people from wrecking their world and mine, I'll wear the title proudly, and not give a diddly-damn whether people get a warm fuzzy feeling when they see me.
Maybe someday they'll figure it out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:28:40 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rodamala

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 03:45:38 pm »

Not really.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »

I have 15-20 hobby Facebook page I go to every day. It's not all just friends or relationships

I'm into old hot rod cars. On FB I see cars fresh out of the resto shop or some guys garage that takes 2 years to hit the car magazines or never at all.

The hobby pages on FB whether it old cars, guns, sewing, woodworking, dog breeding  whatever it may be, make magazines and internet sites pale  in comparison.

If you have any type of hobby and not using FB to check it out you are losing much.

@Joe Wooten

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:13:07 pm by mirraflake »