Author Topic: Here are the 20 Republicans who rejected ObamaCare repeal  (Read 3576 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Here are the 20 Republicans who rejected ObamaCare repeal
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:05:03 pm »
Here are the 20 Republicans who rejected ObamaCare repeal
By Cristina Marcos - 05/04/17 03:33 PM EDT

Twenty mostly centrist House Republicans who represent swing districts voted against the GOP’s legislation to repeal and replace the healthcare law on Thursday.

Two more defections would have doomed the bill, signaling how tough a vote it was for many lawmakers.

Only one member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, freshman Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), voted against the measure because it didn’t go far enough to fully repeal the healthcare law. Two other libertarian-minded conservatives, Reps. Thomas Massie (Ky.) and Walter Jones (N.C.), also opposed it.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/331985-a-look-at-the-20-republicans-who-voted-against-obamacare-repeal
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Here are the 20 Republicans who rejected ObamaCare repeal
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:07:11 pm »
Congrats to those that were brave enough to stand up in opposition to this fraudulent piece of legislation.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:12:53 pm »
So three from the right and the other 17 who were centrists.

I wonder which of these, if any, read the bill? 

It would be interesting to see if the support or opposition came more from those who read it or didn't read it.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:22:14 pm »
Congrats to those that were brave enough to stand up in opposition to this fraudulent piece of legislation.

Would you care to substantiate your exaggerated rhetoric with something substantive or are you just bloviating (again) playing some sort of melodramatic role of "tough-guy Purist"  in your own imagination. 

See, many of the more dearly-desired changes that are being sought (by the freedom Caucus and others) can't be included efficiently in this bill because it is being offered as part of reconciliation, which places some very strict constraints on the bill's structure.

The only way to get those other changes executed will be to pass what can be passed in conformity to Reconciliation stipulations now and then pass single bills later to get those other changes.

Since you are so well informed on matters of legislative procedure I am surely not telling you anything that you don't already know. But if you would be so kind as to share your towering wisdom with us mere mortals as to why you are so dead set against the bill, I'm sure we would all love to be enlightened about the specifics.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:23:35 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:25:22 pm »

I'll second that.  And can we pass a law allowing for the tarring and feathering of the next person who calls this a repeal?

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 08:40:49 pm »
Would you care to substantiate your exaggerated rhetoric with something substantive or are you just bloviating (again) playing some sort of melodramatic role of "tough-guy Purist"  in your own imagination. 

See, many of the more dearly-desired changes that are being sought (by the freedom Caucus and others) can't be included efficiently in this bill because it is being offered as part of reconciliation, which places some very strict constraints on the bill's structure.

The only way to get those other changes executed will be to pass what can be passed in conformity to Reconciliation stipulations now and then pass single bills later to get those other changes.

Since you are so well informed on matters of legislative procedure I am surely not telling you anything that you don't already know. But if you would be so kind as to share your towering wisdom with us mere mortals as to why you are so dead set against the bill, I'm sure we would all love to be enlightened about the specifics.

My guess is that it would allow Trump to claim he had kept his promise.   It would be another "win"  for Trump,  at least so far as the public perception of it goes.   

This is why he is so snarky about it. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 08:41:09 pm »
And can we pass a law allowing for the tarring and feathering of the next person who calls this a repeal?
I'll second THAT.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 08:46:12 pm »
From my understanding the bill did NOT actually repeal, though that's how it's being applauded.  So, in that light, I think some credit should be given to those who didn't vote for it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 08:48:29 pm »
My lame congress creature is on CNN whining about how the democrats should join in to make things all better.
Dream on.........dummy.

Online DB

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:49:45 pm »
So Republicans are well on their way to owning Obamacare dictated from high...

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 08:51:40 pm »
From my understanding the bill did NOT actually repeal, though that's how it's being applauded.  So, in that light, I think some credit should be given to those who didn't vote for it.

The replacement bill must be in place before the repeal or there would be lapses in the provisions. That's a procedural necessity which is required by good sense, and as far as I know, not ideologically based in the slightest regard. 
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

geronl

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 08:57:17 pm »
This is not a repeal bill, this is a scam.

It's a whole new welfare program

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 09:02:20 pm »
Would you care to substantiate your exaggerated rhetoric with something substantive

No...not to you.  Sorry.  Not gonna play your game.  Anyone who paid attention knows this is a bad bill and not what the GOP promised in trade for our vote.

or are you just bloviating (again) playing some sort of melodramatic role of "tough-guy Purist"  in your own imagination.

The only one bloviating and posturing right now is you.   :whistle:

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 09:04:10 pm »
I'll second that.  And can we pass a law allowing for the tarring and feathering of the next person who calls this a repeal?

:amen:

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 09:07:15 pm »
An amendment to a bill is NOT a repeal.

Pay close attention folks. YOU ARE BEING PLAYED. They are manipulating language so that they never have to do anything with healthcare again.

"What? We repealed that. What more do you want?"

It's grade A BS and watching some of the people here fall for it is a sad sight indeed.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 09:16:43 pm »
The replacement bill must be in place before the repeal or there would be lapses in the provisions. That's a procedural necessity which is required by good sense, and as far as I know, not ideologically based in the slightest regard.

Replacement bill? Seriously?

This is a link to the text of the bill that was just passed:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-115hr1628rh/pdf/BILLS-115hr1628rh.pdf

It's not a standalone bill. It's essentially an amendment to the ACA. You cannot repeal the core bill without also repealing the amendments, because amendments don't stand alone.

So, good luck with your fantasy of the ACA actually ever being repealed now.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:26 pm »
Replacement bill? Seriously?

This is a link to the text of the bill that was just passed:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-115hr1628rh/pdf/BILLS-115hr1628rh.pdf

It's not a standalone bill. It's essentially an amendment to the ACA. You cannot repeal the core bill without also repealing the amendments, because amendments don't stand alone.

So, good luck with your fantasy of the ACA actually ever being repealed now.

Thank you for that. it wasn't available up until now so everything was speculation. This is worth taking a deep dive in, but it looks like you are right, this is amendments to the current bill, not a replace or repeal. Another band aid bill.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 10:28:22 pm »

Interesting. Didn't know we had any open Rats on this board. Looks like you are one if you are cheering the pro Obamacare, pro global warming, pro abortion, pro immigration, pro tax hikes Charlie Dent.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 10:56:02 pm »
Interesting. Didn't know we had any open Rats on this board. Looks like you are one if you are cheering the pro Obamacare, pro global warming, pro abortion, pro immigration, pro tax hikes Charlie Dent.

Even a broken clock can be right, for a moment.

Calling this a repeal when it only entrenches Obamacare by amending it is the scam of the year, but the year is yet young.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 11:03:20 pm »
I posted this in another thread, but it's worth repeating here so we all understand some of what this bill actually did do:

1) It eliminated the business mandate, which crippled some businesses;

2) It eliminated the individual mandate and associated tax penalty if you didn't buy qualifying insurance;

3) It ended the "entitlement" aspect of the ACA Medicaid expansion, and amounts to an actuarial savings over $800B over ten years.

That's why Dent and the Democrats are legitimately ticked off at this.  It is a move away from fully socialized medicine, which is exactly where Democrats the direction in which things were going to go when ObamaCare started its inevitable collapse.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 11:04:06 pm »

After you're half way into a bottle Frank...you should really should  stop posting.

Online libertybele

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 11:07:37 pm »
In briefly scanning and reading some of the actual bill it does used the word "repeal" on several taxes

Sec. 207 Repeal  of  the  tax  on  employee  health  insurance  premiums  and  health 
plan benefits.
Sec.  208.  Repeal of tax on over-the-counter medications.
Sec.  209.  Repeal of increase of tax on health savings accounts.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 11:12:32 pm »
In briefly scanning and reading some of the actual bill it does used the word "repeal" on several taxes

Sec. 207 Repeal  of  the  tax  on  employee  health  insurance  premiums  and  health 
plan benefits.
Sec.  208.  Repeal of tax on over-the-counter medications.
Sec.  209.  Repeal of increase of tax on health savings accounts.

The important repeal is what's missing. Repeal of the entire ACA.

Rewording a section here and eliminating a tax there that helps a special interest isn't a repeal and it's not what we were promised would happen with the Republicans in office.

Online DB

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »
The important repeal is what's missing. Repeal of the entire ACA.

Rewording a section here and eliminating a tax there that helps a special interest isn't a repeal and it's not what we were promised would happen with the Republicans in office.

So in other words, they repealed the painful revenue parts and kept the universal coverage part that costs a bunch more trying to play both sides.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 11:54:03 pm »
After you're half way into a bottle Frank...you should really should  stop posting.

Well you must be on poppers if you are going to do anything more than urinate on Charlie Dent.