Author Topic: Sent to Prison by a Software Program’s Secret Algorithms  (Read 880 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
ADAM LIPTAK
MAY 1, 2017

When Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. visited Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute last month, he was asked a startling question, one with overtones of science fiction.

“Can you foresee a day,” asked Shirley Ann Jackson, president of the college in upstate New York, “when smart machines, driven with artificial intelligences, will assist with courtroom fact-finding or, more controversially even, judicial decision-making?”

The chief justice’s answer was more surprising than the question. “It’s a day that’s here,” he said, “and it’s putting a significant strain on how the judiciary goes about doing things.”

He may have been thinking about the case of a Wisconsin man, Eric L. Loomis, who was sentenced to six years in prison based in part on a private company’s proprietary software. Mr. Loomis says his right to due process was violated by a judge’s consideration of a report generated by the software’s secret algorithm, one Mr. Loomis was unable to inspect or challenge.

In March, in a signal that the justices were intrigued by Mr. Loomis’s case, they asked the federal government to file a friend-of-the-court brief offering its views on whether the court should hear his appeal.

The report in Mr. Loomis’s case was produced by a product called Compas, sold by Northpointe Inc. It included a series of bar charts that assessed the risk that Mr. Loomis would commit more crimes.

The Compas report, a prosecutor told the trial judge, showed “a high risk of violence, high risk of recidivism, high pretrial risk.” The judge agreed, telling Mr. Loomis that “you’re identified, through the Compas assessment, as an individual who is a high risk to the community.”

The Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled against Mr. Loomis. The report added valuable information, it said, and Mr. Loomis would have gotten the same sentence based solely on the usual factors, including his crime — fleeing the police in a car — and his criminal history.

At the same time, the court seemed uneasy with using a secret algorithm to send a man to prison. Justice Ann Walsh Bradley, writing for the court, discussed, for instance, a report from ProPublica about Compas that concluded that black defendants in Broward County, Fla., “were far more likely than white defendants to be incorrectly judged to be at a higher rate of recidivism.”

Read More at NYT:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/us/politics/sent-to-prison-by-a-software-programs-secret-algorithms.html
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Sent to Prison by a Software Program’s Secret Algorithms
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:31:33 pm »
Hmm.

The case seems to bring up questions of confronting one's accuser. The accuser in this case is a machine. If the machine hides behind this veil of proprietary trade secret, it may very well be inadmissible in court.

The accused may very well get a retrial.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:40:25 pm »
Hmm.

The case seems to bring up questions of confronting one's accuser. The accuser in this case is a machine. If the machine hides behind this veil of proprietary trade secret, it may very well be inadmissible in court.

Natural progression from red-light/speed trap photo radar.  I've always predicted the cops will eventually tap everybody's car computers, and with the GPS data calculate speed, and just send out speeding tickets.  Your accuser would be your own car.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:01:08 am »
When you trust a machine to rule in human affairs kiss it all goodbye.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:08:24 am »
Natural progression from red-light/speed trap photo radar.  I've always predicted the cops will eventually tap everybody's car computers, and with the GPS data calculate speed, and just send out speeding tickets.  Your accuser would be your own car.

That doesn't follow. When they pull your phone records in an investigation, it doesn't make your phone the sccuser.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:22:04 am »
That doesn't follow. When they pull your phone records in an investigation, it doesn't make your phone the sccuser.

I think that might be a matter of opinion.  Your phone records accuse you of being at such-and-such a location, by virtue of your phone being there.  That information gets used by police investigating crimes, so those records may not accuse you but they do implicate you.  It's a fine line between "accuse" and "implicate."
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:30:47 am »
This computer software is totally unnecessary and dangerous. It needs to be stopped immediately. If a judge even looked at this computer analysis as part of sentencing a guy like Loomis, he should be impeached and then thrown in jail for being too stupid to live in a civilized society....

Two arrested in Northside drive by shooting

http://www.wxow.com/story/21109610/2013/02/Monday/two-arrested-in-northside-drive-by-shooting

LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) - Two men are arrested following an early morning drive by shooting of a northside home.

According to La Crosse Police Sgt. Randy Rank, around 2:17 a.m., a car drove past 2231 Kane Street, fired two shots into the home, then drove off.

No one inside the home was wounded from the shooting.

Police officers later saw a vehicle that matched the description of the suspect vehicle on Winneshiek Rd.  When approached, the vehicle sped off and led officers on a chase to the end of St. James St. where the car crashed into a snowbank.

Although the two men in the vehicle ran, they were caught by police.

A sawed off 12 gauge shotgun, two empty shotgun casings, and additional ammunition was found in the car according to Sgt. Rank.

Arrested were 31-year-old Eric L. Loomis of 1607 Loomis St. in La Crosse, and 27-year-old Michael Vang of 918 Hood St. in La Crosse.

The men were arrested on the following charges:

Loomis: Recklessly endangering Safety (party to crime), knowingly fleeing an officer, operate motor vehicle w/o owners consent (party to crime), possession of a firearm-felon (party to crime), probation violation & resisting arrest.

Vang: Recklessly endangering safety, operate motor vehicle w/o owners consent, possession w/intent to deliver-methamphetamine, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession firearm-felon, resisting arrest and probation violation.

Both men are in the La Crosse County Jail without bond awaiting formal charges by the District Attorney's office.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:51:41 am »
This kind of crap is just going to get worse, and they're going to do their best to hide it all the way.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 03:57:15 am »
This kind of crap is just going to get worse, and they're going to do their best to hide it all the way.

Oh, you bet.  It makes it easier for cops and prosecutors to get convictions, and it can't be used by the defense so they're all for it.  And Judges get to wash their hands of any responsibility.  Win-win-win for everybody but the defendant.   Well, up until they come up against a well-heeled defendant.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:00:01 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline endicom

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 05:46:48 am »
Hmm.

I think the algorithm is not an accuser but an expert. Like the psychiatrists that routinely misdiagnose these things.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 07:44:54 am »
A machine didn't write the algorithm, a human being did.