Author Topic: Donald Trump slams 'archaic' US constitution that is 'really bad' for the country  (Read 3731 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..

Donald Trump has blamed the US constitution for the problems he has encountered during his first 100 days in office.

In an interview with Fox News to mark the milestone, the Republican called the system of checks and balances on power “archaic”.

“It’s a very rough system,” he said. “It’s an archaic system … It’s really a bad thing for the country.”....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-slams-apos-archaic-173108185.html

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Really not surprised at this point.  We tried to warn people.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online corbe

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.".

Apparently, these were just words to be repeated as his teleprompter was not allowed. Such a travesty.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
   Apparently, these were just words to be repeated as his teleprompter was not allowed. Such a travesty.

Why don't you call your Congressman and initiate Impeachment proceedings??

I would.

....if I were you.   ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

Rather than just accepting Yahoo's interpretation, I wonder what the context for his comments were.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:25:53 pm by skeeter »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Judging from what I saw at TOS, its exactly what they want too. An increasing number of them informed me that the constitution had become useless and only a tough dictator like Trump could fix it.`

They can believe themselves to be tough if they want but it will never change the fact that they're just mewling royal subjects hoping the king will bestow favor upon them.

Offline DCPatriot

Rather than Yahoo's interpretation, I wonder what the context for his comments were.

Exactly, @skeeter

Had a sarcastic reply all ready to post.

But the novelty has worn off.    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

Really not surprised at this point.  We tried to warn people.

Warn about what? He is who he is and thanks to the "archaic system" he can't cause that much trouble.

Wingnut

Rather than just accepting Yahoo's interpretation, I wonder what the context for his comments were.

I agree. 

Offline DCPatriot

Warn about what? He is who he is and thanks to the "archaic system" he can't cause that much trouble.

Exactly, Frank.

Said long before the Convention that I expected the GOP House and Senate to keep a rein on him, if necessary.

....Guess they didn't hear me say, "if necessary".   ^-^

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Well...

President Donald Trump took aim at the D.C. gridlock during an interview on Fox News Channel's “The First 100 Days” on Friday evening, blasting the existing system in Congress as “archaic.”

“It's a very rough system. It's – it's an archaic system,” said Trump. Continuing, the president outlined some of the problems he sees with the current system:

"You look at the rules of the Senate, even the rules of the House – but the rules of the Senate and some of the things you have to go through, it's – it's really a bad thing for the country, in my opinion. They're archaic rules. And maybe at some point we're going to have to take those rules on, because, for the good of the nation, things are going to have to be different.

You can't go through a process like this. It's not fair. It forces you to make bad decisions. I mean, you're really forced into doing things that you would normally not do except for these archaic rules."

Trump singled out the filibuster as the main target for his frustration with the country's legislative system:

"I think, you know, the filibuster concept is not a good concept to start off with. But if you're going to have filibuster, let somebody stand up for 20 hours and – and talk, and do what they have to do, even if they're reading comic books to everybody. Let them do it.

But honestly, the whole – we have so many bad concepts in our rules and it's forcing bad decisions. I really see. I see this – I've seen it over the years, where bad decisions are made, decisions that nobody wanted are made because of archaic rules. And that's something that I think we're going to have to change."

http://ijr.com/2017/04/859573-trump-blames-archaic-system-in-congress-for-lack-of-legislative-progress/

Sounds to me like he doesn't like the check and balances and rules that have kept this country from sliding into a dictatorshoip for almost 240 years.

HE wants to be able to ram through whatever law he wants passed with no opposition.  It's almost like he took a page from Obama's talking points.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online corbe

Why don't you call your Congressman and initiate Impeachment proceedings??

I would.

....if I were you.   ^-^

I don't want to Impeach him, @DCPatriot unlike most here I don't think Pence has proven a damn thing either other than he too has no spine, kinda like the Clinton/Gore thing in the 90's.
   My Congressman is a complete lost cause BUT would agree if I called and suggested this idea of yours. Lloyd Doggett
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

That he was a Liberal pretending to be a Republican...that he cared about as much about the Constitution as his predecessor.

You know...important stuff like that.

Offline skeeter

Well...

http://ijr.com/2017/04/859573-trump-blames-archaic-system-in-congress-for-lack-of-legislative-progress/

Sounds to me like he doesn't like the check and balances and rules that have kept this country from sliding into a dictatorshoip for almost 240 years.

HE wants to be able to ram through whatever law he wants passed with no opposition.  It's almost like he took a page from Obama's talking points.

Thanks for posting context. His actual words don't really directly reflect what the Yahoo headlines clearly say, do they.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:34:12 pm by skeeter »

Offline Frank Cannon

That he was a Liberal pretending to be a Republican...that he cared about as much about the Constitution as his predecessor.

You know...important stuff like that.

Yeah. Hitlary would have been so much better filling Scalia's slot. Thanks for warning everyone.........also thankfully only 4 people listened to you judging by the vote totals for McMuffin and the other clown.

Offline DCPatriot

I don't want to Impeach him, @DCPatriot unlike most here I don't think Pence has proven a damn thing either other than he too has no spine, kinda like the Clinton/Gore thing in the 90's.
   My Congressman is a complete lost cause BUT would agree if I called and suggested this idea of yours. Lloyd Doggett

You should quit, @corbe

To say you're unhappy with President Trump because he lacks a spine....and in the same sentence say that Impeachment would depend on who the VP was?

22222frying pan

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Thanks for posting context. His actual words don't really directly reflect what the Yahoo headlines clearly say, do they.

Depends on which rules he's referring to.  Some of them he's referring to are in the Constitution IIRC and some are Roberts Rules of Order which has only been around since the 1870's.

Trump wasn't very specific on which rules he thinks are ones that need to be done away with.  I'd have to hear more specifics on what he's referring to before I would say whether Yahoo's headline is accurate.  On the surface it appears to be factual and not fake IMO.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
You should quit, @corbe

To say you're unhappy with President Trump because he lacks a spine....and in the same sentence say that Impeachment would depend on who the VP was?

22222frying pan

That's not what she said at all Kresken.

Offline skeeter

Depends on which rules he's referring to.  Some of them he's referring to are in the Constitution IIRC and some are Roberts Rules of Order which has only been around since the 1870's.

Trump wasn't very specific on which rules he thinks are ones that need to be done away with.  I'd have to hear more specifics on what he's referring to before I would say whether Yahoo's headline is accurate.  On the surface it appears to be factual and not fake IMO.

Apparently Yahoo knows exactly which rules Trump was referring to.

Well, they actually don't.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Apparently Yahoo knows exactly which rules Trump was referring to.

Well, they actually don't.

Scary thing is Trump may not either LOL!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Fwiw I agree with trump re: filibuster.

Offline skeeter

Scary thing is Trump may not either LOL!

No doubt he's a novice.

Offline r9etb

Thanks for posting the full comments.

It looks as if he's not talking about the Constitution, so much as he's upset with the rules of the House and Senate.

Well, they can be a pain, for sure, and can certainly be used and abused as a means of obstruction.  Trump's assumption is apparently that obstruction is uniformly bad, a position that is certainly arguable.

On the other hand, as Roger Scruton summarized Burke's beliefs, "established practices and structures are the product of the wisdom of generations, and we change them at our peril."  The idea being that the rules are there for reasons that arose from experience, and should not be rejected lightly.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Part of the problem is that Trump is an ever shifting sand dune with every single grain of sand rising to the top only to tumble back to the bottom. What he loves today he'll hate tomorrow and vice versa.

Today Trump says democrats are childish for protesting him. After all he won. But in 2012 he hated the electoral college and wanted people to march on the White House to show their displeasure at Obama winning.

His supporters are like smoke, blown wherever the wind blows them.