Author Topic: Now That She’s ‘Presidential,’ Nikki Haley Better Watch Her Back  (Read 5970 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Now That She’s ‘Presidential,’ Nikki Haley Better Watch Her Back
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2017, 02:48:59 pm »
Well, Bull Run, Ball's Bluff, and Camp Douglas in Chicago pretty much encapsulates how unready the North was as well.

Unready? Didn't the North win? I'll have to look that up.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2017, 02:55:59 pm »
If you ever play Civilization or any 4x game or even RTS...

The side that is disadvantage economically is bound to lose. Only a matter of time. After the initial opening, the South was bound to lose.

Very True, giving credence to the amazing skills of the CSA military (Lee/Jackson/Johnston) until 1862.  The overall war was unwinable But.....

Amazingly, several historians state that if Gettysburg had gone wrong for the North, Lee would have made a right turn toward DC, and  the end result would have probably ended up being a negotiated settlement as two nations.

Again, for all of our sakes the end result ended up being the best.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2017, 02:57:14 pm »
Unready? Didn't the North win? I'll have to look that up.

Yes.  But the North was still unready as hell to fight a war, which was the point I was addressing.  It really wasn't readiness that defeated the South.  It was long-term disadvantages.

Okay, I'm a history geek, and can't help nitpicking on this kind of thing.....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2017, 02:58:33 pm »
If you ever play Civilization or any 4x game or even RTS...

The side that is disadvantage economically is bound to lose. Only a matter of time. After the initial opening, the South was bound to lose.

Hmmm.  I question that. There are several mentions here of the Texas Revolution which was fought on a shoestring and a prayer on the Texicans' side.  Ditto the American Revolution.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2017, 03:02:42 pm »
Hmmm.  I question that. There are several mentions here of the Texas Revolution which was fought on a shoestring and a prayer on the Texicans' side.  Ditto the American Revolution.

In assymetrical warfare, then the bigger side can lose because they decide it isn't worth it. But the Americans didn't invade the UK. Texans, I don't believe, invaded and conquered Mexico. (I think the US army did, later)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2017, 03:04:58 pm »
But the Americans didn't invade the UK.

Actually, you did. Unfortunately your crew raided a pub and got too drunk to do much damage to the ships in harbour.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:00 pm »

History junkie here too Sanguine.

The only thing saving the US Revolution was the UK had war fronts with us, the Netherlands, France, Spain, and India.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:12 pm »
Actually, you did. Unfortunately your crew raided a pub and got too drunk to do much damage to the ships in harbour.

Well I'll be damned, you're right:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-paul-jones-leads-american-raid-on-whitehaven-england

Had no idea!  :silly:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2017, 03:08:36 pm »
Yes.  But the North was still unready as hell to fight a war, which was the point I was addressing.  It really wasn't readiness that defeated the South.  It was long-term disadvantages.

Okay, I'm a history geek, and can't help nitpicking on this kind of thing.....

I can't help nit picking that winners win and losers lose. Trying to claim the North was unprepared for war when they kicked the shit out of the South is absurd. You are mistaking incidental set backs with an overall successful event.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2017, 03:08:44 pm »
Texas's independence was fought too, for slavery;

Texas is a minority-majority state now, in the long run, 20 years on let's see how it looks.  It's going to be an interesting contrast to that fight for independence. We'll wonder who really won.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2017, 03:09:35 pm »

Texas is a minority-majority state now, in the long run, 20 years on let's see how it looks.  It's going to be an interesting contrast to that fight for independence. We'll wonder who really won.

Did someone fart?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2017, 03:12:25 pm »

No, it wasn't.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2017, 03:13:03 pm »
I can't help nit picking that winners win and losers lose. Trying to claim the North was unprepared for war when they kicked the shit out of the South is absurd. You are mistaking incidental set backs with an overall successful event.

As I stated a few posts back....  You do realize that if 3 days in July 1863 had been different  this vast underdog may have brought this conflict to a stalemate?  What would have been your comment then?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2017, 03:16:20 pm »

God bless rednecks.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2017, 03:30:20 pm »
Well I'll be damned, you're right:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-paul-jones-leads-american-raid-on-whitehaven-england

Had no idea!  :silly:

John Paul Jones is also the only Russian Admiral buried in the U.S..  And his crypt is cool as hell.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:30:39 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2017, 03:35:12 pm »
I see conservatives objecting all the time to the flying of "issue" flags like the rainbow flag from public buildings.

Of course it does -- I wouldn't dispute that.  I think the vast majority of southerners who support flying the confederate flag are not racists, and do it for reasons of heritage.  But at the same time, I couldn't find fault if a black Americans is offended by that flag, because defending slavery was a significant part of what the Confederacy stood for.  So I really don't have a problem with the flag being displayed in the specific context of honoring the war veterans, etc..  But I don't think it belongs on current government buildings.  It's up to the folks of each state, obviously, but since we're discussing Haley....

My point is that the flag implicitly honors "the cause", whatever that is/was.  Now to you, "the cause" was all those other things you mentioned.  To some other South Carolinians, particularly some who are black, it may well represent an attempt to keep them in bondage.  Both perspectives have merit depending on your POV.

Now, I can understand why her decision ticked off some southerners.  I can also understand why some other southerners supported her decision, and her doing that certainly doesn't make me, as an Ohioan, less (or more) likely to support her.
Well, maybe I should just get one of these:

But my ancestors didn't fight in the legislature. Rather, they fought on the battlefield to defend the South from invasion, under a flag more like this:

And some under one which looked like this

And even a couple who fought under this one:

The average person equates one of those battle flags with 'slavery' which was a political issue. They generally don't know the 'stars and bars' (that first flag)  from a hole in their head. The rest are battle flags.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2017, 03:37:08 pm »
John Paul Jones is also the only Russian Admiral buried in the U.S..

Uhhh...

I think JPJ was Scottish and immigrated to US in 1770's.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:37:56 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2017, 03:39:03 pm »

The average person equates one of those battle flags with 'slavery' which was a political issue. They generally don't know the 'stars and bars' (that first flag)  from a hole in their head. The rest are battle flags.

Well, right.  But given that's what the average person equates it with, that's what the symbol has come to stand for.  That's kind of the point.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2017, 04:22:30 pm »
Well, right.  But given that's what the average person equates it with, that's what the symbol has come to stand for.  That's kind of the point.

That, I'd reckon, is entirely subject to where that 'average person' lives.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2017, 04:31:25 pm »

The "average person" thinks we are a democracy and that leftists are liberal.  I'm not sure I find that argument compelling.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2017, 04:34:21 pm »
That, I'd reckon, is entirely subject to where that 'average person' lives.

After my mother died I picked up her kindle and read the autobiography of Frederick Douglass and Booker T Washington back to back. Boy that will make your brain squirm from trying to reconcile the wildly different perspectives.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2017, 04:48:21 pm »
After my mother died I picked up her kindle and read the autobiography of Frederick Douglass and Booker T Washington back to back. Boy that will make your brain squirm from trying to reconcile the wildly different perspectives.

I dunno. What I do know is that the 'average person' around here would have a different perspective about what that Rebel flag stands for - Different from what others here would brand it with. As to which is actually 'different', I would say my view on the Confederate Flag is shared by country folks pretty well across the US (Far NE excepted)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2017, 04:51:04 pm »
Well, maybe I should just get one of these:

But my ancestors didn't fight in the legislature. Rather, they fought on the battlefield to defend the South from invasion, under a flag more like this:

And some under one which looked like this

And even a couple who fought under this one:

Southern States own declarations of secession make it clear, they were fighting to keep slavery in force.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-
- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_missec.asp

Yeah, right.