Author Topic: Trump Regrets  (Read 12679 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Trump Regrets
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2017, 07:46:17 pm »
I'm curious -- do you really believe that?

Because I have to tell you,  I know a lot of people who voted for Trump, many of whom knew at the time he was not a perfect candidate.  I know a few who regret it, and fewer still who are "ashamed" of that vote.  Actually, I don't know personally anyone who is "ashamed" of that vote.  For most people like me, who saw the guys flaw's but voted for him because the only viable alternative was worse, "shame" is just an inapplicable concept entirely.  I don't internalize or accept moral blame over the failings of the guy I voted for in the general election given the choice.

So if you think people  don't like "resistors" because of their "own shame", you're going to have to come up with a different theory.  That one just isn't correct.

I think I would have voted for Trump if I had stared at a picture of Hillary for 30 or 40 minutes before going to the polls.

I didn't vote at all because I'd moved to Hawaii ... it was a hassle to register and I knew Hawaii always goes dem, (except once).
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2017, 07:47:17 pm »
The argument isn't that a different Republican would have sworn in the next Ginsburg.  The argument is about the November choice between the only two candidates who had a realistic chance of winning:  Trump, and Hillary.  And of those two candidates, only one would have appointed a Gorsuch.  The other would have appointed the next Ginsburg.

Those Binary choices, again.

Quite a few of us were never convinced he was just talking $hit when he said this:

Trump: Can you imagine my sister? By the way, my sister was appointed by Ronald Reagan. Elevated, elevated, I believe, in the Clinton administration, but she was appointed, originally appointed by Ronald Reagan.

Reporter: Let me ask you a different question, if families are off limits [inaudible]

Trump: I think first of all, my sister has nothing to do with me! (Ed note – a rich assertion for someone who has spent the last six straight months bashing Jeb Bush over things George W. Bush did).
I mean, she’s a federal judge at a high, high level, court of appeals, and she was appointed by Ronald Reagan, initially appointed by Ronald Reagan, a highly brilliant woman, known as a great, you know, very brilliant judge, I don’t even know what her views are, and I don’t think she’d want to tell me. I think she’s a very inter… she doesn’t… I remember one of your cohorts wanted to do a great story about her, I said listen, they want to do a great story about you, she said no.. I think frankly, she’s a federal judge, highly respected at every level, by both sides, by everybody, and I don’t know that that’s, I mean, certainly what he said about her is horrible, they made her sound just horrible. She may have views on certain things, I’ve never asked her views, I don’t want to ask her her views, I don’t think it’s appropriate. She is a solid person and a great intellect and she’s acknowledged as being so on the court.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:48:52 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »

It was a binary choice in terms of who had a chance of winning.  People obviously could vote for whomever they wanted, but only two candidates had a realistic chance of actually winning.

Quite a few of us were never convinced he was just talking $hit when he said this:

You're entitled to your choice, and I can understand why some couldn't/wouldn't vote for him in the general election.  I'm simply pointing out that a great many people who voted for Trump in the general election did so not because he was their preferred GOP candidate, but because in November, he was the only GOP candidate.

As for the Supreme Court...you turned out to be wrong.  But I agree there was no way to be certain prior to the election  that he'd actually appoint someone from that list.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 07:54:45 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:21 pm »
It was a binary choice in terms of who had a chance of winning.  People obviously could vote for whomever they wanted, but only two candidates had a realistic chance of actually winning.

You're entitled to your choice, and I can understand why some couldn't/wouldn't vote for him in the general election.  I'm simply pointing out that a great many people who voted for Trump in the general election did so not because he was their preferred GOP candidate, but because in November, he was the only GOP candidate.

As for the Supreme Court...you turned out to be wrong.  But I agree there was no way to be certain prior to the election  that he'd actually appoint someone from that list.

I turned out to be wrong as well.  I was sure Trump would lose:  wrong.  I was sure he would embarrass me:  well, kinda right.

But he has been much better than I expected and I want him to succeed.  It will be good for all of us if he does in his stated goals.

There are people here who are furious that Trump didn't nominate his sister ... just for the pure joy they would feel in saying 'I told you so.'

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2017, 08:51:42 pm »
There are people here who are furious that Trump didn't nominate his sister ... just for the pure joy they would feel in saying 'I told you so.'

I think that is probably true for some.  They'd rather be right than have him do the right thing.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2017, 09:01:17 pm »
I think that is probably true for some.  They'd rather be right than have him do the right thing.

More than "some".   More like most.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline corbe

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2017, 09:01:24 pm »
I turned out to be wrong as well.  I was sure Trump would lose:  wrong.  I was sure he would embarrass me:  well, kinda right.

But he has been much better than I expected and I want him to succeed.  It will be good for all of us if he does in his stated goals.

That's a pretty broad jump there @Emjay those are his own words about his Sister making a Good Supreme Court Justice, so how did you know then she was any different than someone hellary would have appointed, that was always a question for some of us, until Gorsuch got past McConnell's Senate, his earlier List and the subsequent one, meant nothing to us.     
   Most of us didn't have the foresight to predict anything about this President, based on his well documented last 30 years.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2017, 09:12:44 pm »

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Some...sure.  It's sort of a natural human thing.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2017, 09:23:10 pm »

Meh.  I think you're overestimating the size of the NeverNohow group here.  I'd say most folks would be delighted if Trump does the right thing.  These are your friends and countrymen.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 10:34:56 pm »
Meh.  I think you're overestimating the size of the NeverNohow group here.  I'd say most folks would be delighted if Trump does the right thing.  These are your friends and countrymen.

According to previous posts we're traitors.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:35:13 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 10:45:06 pm »
According to previous posts we're traitors.

You know what they say about being in the middle of the road:  That's where you get run over by traffic going both ways.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2017, 10:52:10 pm »
You know what they say about being in the middle of the road:  That's where you get run over by traffic going both ways.   :shrug:

Yup...roadkill  :beer:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 11:12:46 pm »

I guess he's like Tim Tebow in a way....Tebow hits a homerun on his first outing.....  Now he'll be struck out a lot.

Well......

Problem is, Tebow is playing Single A ball.  Failure at the major league level matters more.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2017, 01:33:52 am »
   That's a pretty broad jump there @Emjay those are his own words about his Sister making a Good Supreme Court Justice, so how did you know then she was any different than someone hellary would have appointed, that was always a question for some of us, until Gorsuch got past McConnell's Senate, his earlier List and the subsequent one, meant nothing to us.     
   Most of us didn't have the foresight to predict anything about this President, based on his well documented last 30 years.

One of us is confused and it couldn't possibly be me.

You are mistaking me for a Trump supporter.  I was appalled by Trump's comment about his sister. Although it was a throw away remark, I wasn't all that confident that he didn't mean it... deep down anyway.

So, yeah, the excellent choice of Gorsuch pleased and surprised me as has much Trump has done.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2017, 01:42:08 am »
Hey, don't worry.  I'm not mad at anybody.  Well, maybe one person but she's not here.

Oh, I wonder who she is?  Its so mysterious.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2017, 01:42:12 am »
One of us is confused and it couldn't possibly be me.

You are mistaking me for a Trump supporter.  I was appalled by Trump's comment about his sister. Although it was a throw away remark, I wasn't all that confident that he didn't mean it... deep down anyway.

So, yeah, the excellent choice of Gorsuch pleased and surprised me as has much Trump has done.

Trump kept his promise to Ted.  He made an “explicit commitment” to nominate only from “a very strong” list of 21 potential nominees."

- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/trump-court-lee#sthash.iZKojX1x.dpuf
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2017, 01:52:36 am »

Trump: Can you imagine my sister? By the way, my sister was appointed by Ronald Reagan. Elevated, elevated, I believe, in the Clinton administration, but she was appointed, originally appointed by Ronald Reagan.

Reporter: Let me ask you a different question, if families are off limits [inaudible]

Trump: I think first of all, my sister has nothing to do with me! (Ed note – a rich assertion for someone who has spent the last six straight months bashing Jeb Bush over things George W. Bush did).
I mean, she’s a federal judge at a high, high level, court of appeals, and she was appointed by Ronald Reagan, initially appointed by Ronald Reagan, a highly brilliant woman, known as a great, you know, very brilliant judge, I don’t even know what her views are, and I don’t think she’d want to tell me. I think she’s a very inter… she doesn’t… I remember one of your cohorts wanted to do a great story about her, I said listen, they want to do a great story about you, she said no.. I think frankly, she’s a federal judge, highly respected at every level, by both sides, by everybody, and I don’t know that that’s, I mean, certainly what he said about her is horrible, they made her sound just horrible. She may have views on certain things, I’ve never asked her views, I don’t want to ask her her views, I don’t think it’s appropriate. She is a solid person and a great intellect and she’s acknowledged as being so on the court.

Yeah if he could have he would have nominated her.  Another great example of how Trump lies.  He knew what his sisters views are.  He held the same ones just a couple years earlier.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2017, 01:53:44 am »
Oh, I wonder who she is?  Its so mysterious.

LOL

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2017, 01:55:14 am »
Trump kept his promise to Ted.  He made an “explicit commitment” to nominate only from “a very strong” list of 21 potential nominees."

- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/trump-court-lee#sthash.iZKojX1x.dpuf

Yes, he did ... and probably chose the best from the list.

Apparently some people can't forgive him for that.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2017, 02:11:08 am »

Yeah if he could have he would have nominated her.  Another great example of how Trump lies.  He knew what his sisters views are.  He held the same ones just a couple years earlier.

He could have nominated her if he is as duplicitous as you think.

I'm not saying that Trump morphed into "Dave" but he certainly been a better president than I expected.

It's hard for some people to give Trump any approval as they seem to think it makes their earlier opinions of him stupid, wrong or something else they can't deal with.

It doesn't.  I've gotten over it.  I was such a Trump hater that I was kicked off TOS.  I wanted Ted Cruz.

But I'm now hoping that Trump does well and, so far, he has.  MY only major complaint is his misstep on the health care thing, but I still think that ship can be righted.

Offline corbe

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2017, 02:21:16 am »

I'm not saying that Trump morphed into "Dave" but he certainly been a better president than I expected.

It's hard for some people to give Trump any approval as they seem to think it makes their earlier opinions of him stupid, wrong or something else they can't deal with.

It doesn't.  I've gotten over it.  I was such a Trump hater that I was kicked off TOS.  I wanted Ted Cruz.

But I'm now hoping that Trump does well and, so far, he has.  MY only major complaint is his misstep on the health care thing, but I still think that ship can be righted.

@Emjay    Besides Gorsuch what, pray tell, has he done, I understand it's only been 70 days and half his cabinet is not seated, but other than some Cabinet appointments, some EO's, what?
   Healthcare and Immigration reform are in the toilet on the Domestic side, 60 Tomahawks and the Carl Vinson on the way to N Korea on the Foreign Policy side does not constitute great progress to me, but maybe I just don't want to admit what a wanker I was for even doubting him in the first place.

Edited to add, I want him to succeed, my life depends on it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:25:58 am by corbe »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2017, 02:21:27 am »

I don't see a psychiatrist couch nearby.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:28 am »
   @Emjay    Besides Gorsuch what, pray tell, has he done, I understand it's only been 70 days and half his cabinet is not seated, but other than some Cabinet appointments, some EO's, what?
   Healthcare and Immigration reform are in the toilet on the Domestic side, 60 Tomahawks and the Carl Vinson on the way to N Korea on the Foreign Policy side does not constitute great progress to me, but maybe I just don't want to admit what a wanker I was for even doubting him in the first place.

First, love the word "wanker."

It's not my job or my inclination to tell you what Trump has done.  One thing he has done is create a climate favorable to business; favorable to police and favorable to an anti-illegal immigrant policy.  His flight ban was held up by judges and I still don't understand the lack of publicity or indignation about that wanker Obama flying to Hawaii to strong arm a judge friend into blocking Trump's travel ban.

Even The Great Ted Cruz would have had to do a lot of arm twisting to get healthcare passed.  I still think and hope it will get done.

Who do you blame for the slow pace of getting Trump's appointments approved?

Despite what some people love to say, Trump is not a dictator.

And he's not a miracle worker, either.  But, so far, I think he's trying.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2017, 03:06:49 am »
I'm no fan of his either.  In fact I'm such a non-fan I'd never post a word from that sawed-off little p***k here.  He is "political porn":  Absolutely NO redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Yes, that's where we differ, I guess.  I'm not into ad hominem responses, so I'll accept or decline words on their merit.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:14:30 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2017, 05:10:45 am »
I don't see a psychiatrist couch nearby.

Not trying to psychoanalyze anyone here ... I'm still working on myself.  It's just a theory.