Author Topic: Trump Regrets  (Read 12734 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Trump Regrets
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2017, 05:57:38 am »
Not trying to psychoanalyze anyone here ... I'm still working on myself.  It's just a theory.

Oh yes you were.  You make a habit of it.  I really am convinced you place yourself above others for your ability to embrace Trump.  Guess what?  I don't have to.  He is the same clown that I didn't vote for and I won't post things to prop him up just to make you happy.  People have picked out certain tweets to make fun of these people who are not happy with their choice.  The truth is though that these are people who supported Trump and got him elected.  They expected him to do what he said he would do.  But he hasn't been able to do it.  And with "lock her up".  Never had the intention.  It was the Art of the deal.  To mislead people.  They should have known.

That Mexico was not buying a wall.  Not only did he know they wouldn't he hires illegal immigrants to build his buildings.  he hires on H2b for his hotels and service jobs.
That Donald and Hillary are good friends.  As seen immediately when he praised her presence at his Inauguration lunch.  His daughter Tiffany seated with the Clintons.
That he would not be able to repeal O'care.  Because he stated he wanted Socialized health care and he would make sure that everyone would be covered.

The clues were there but people were caught up in a "fake" hope that Trump would MAGA.  Now they aren't happy.  I knew it and stated these things over and over right here on this site.

Trump has not been impressive in any way.  You can make yourself feel better with your analysis of the ability to rise above yourself.  But don't try to analyze others because we haven't seen praiseworthy performance. 

Oh, and I don't know what is going on in Syria.  We were supposed to be fighting ISIS.  I brought up the point that Trump in 2013 after a gas attack was having a twitter episode where he proclaimed we shouldn't get involved and that Obama was stupid if he did.  Look who is getting involved.  I can't say what it is.  Wag the dog.......... But I agreed with his twitters in 2013.  If we can't focus on ISIS, Al Qaeda and other Islamic devils killing people in Syria then we shouldn't do a thing.  I don't agree with McLame arming rebels and I won't agree with Trump doing it either.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:08:30 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2017, 06:17:38 am »
Oh yes you were.  You make a habit of it.  I really am convinced you place yourself above others for your ability to embrace Trump.  Guess what?  I don't have to.  He is the same clown that I didn't vote for and I won't post things to prop him up just to make you happy.  People have picked out certain tweets to make fun of these people who are not happy with their choice.  The truth is though that these are people who supported Trump and got him elected.  They expected him to do what he said he would do.  But he hasn't been able to do it.  And with "lock her up".  Never had the intention.  It was the Art of the deal.  To mislead people.  They should have known.

That Mexico was not buying a wall.  Not only did he know they wouldn't he hires illegal immigrants to build his buildings.  he hires on H2b for his hotels and service jobs.
That Donald and Hillary are good friends.  As seen immediately when he praised her presence at his Inauguration lunch.  His daughter Tiffany seated with the Clintons.
That he would not be able to repeal O'care.  Because he stated he wanted Socialized health care and he would make sure that everyone would be covered.

The clues were there but people were caught up in a "fake" hope that Trump would MAGA.  Now they aren't happy.  I knew it and stated these things over and over right here on this site.

Trump has not been impressive in any way.  You can make yourself feel better with your analysis of the ability to rise above yourself.  But don't try to analyze others because we haven't seen praiseworthy performance. 

Oh, and I don't know what is going on in Syria.  We were supposed to be fighting ISIS.  I brought up the point that Trump in 2013 after a gas attack was having a twitter episode where he proclaimed we shouldn't get involved and that Obama was stupid if he did.  Look who is getting involved.  I can't say what it is.  Wag the dog.......... But I agreed with his twitters in 2013.  If we can't focus on ISIS, Al Qaeda and other Islamic devils killing people in Syria then we shouldn't do a thing.  I don't agree with McLame arming rebels and I won't agree with Trump doing it either.

OMG @Chosen Daughter   You have gone officially round the bend.

I don't even know how to respond to such a hysterical and off base post.

I do not place myself above others because I've reconciled myself to the fact that Trump is president and whatever I tried to do to get someone else nominated didn't work.

Whatever I say... whatever you say.. Trump is president.  You can cling to your hatred.  I really do not care at all.  You are certainly not the only one.

I have no wistful dreams of your doing are saying anything to try and make me happy.  You obviously don't seem to be very fond of me, so why should you?

I don't know what I said or did to set you off but my advice to you is to put me on ignore because obviously my posts are not good for your mental health.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2017, 06:26:21 am »
OMG @Chosen Daughter   You have gone officially round the bend.

I don't even know how to respond to such a hysterical and off base post.

I do not place myself above others because I've reconciled myself to the fact that Trump is president and whatever I tried to do to get someone else nominated didn't work.

Whatever I say... whatever you say.. Trump is president.  You can cling to your hatred.  I really do not care at all.  You are certainly not the only one.

I have no wistful dreams of your doing are saying anything to try and make me happy.  You obviously don't seem to be very fond of me, so why should you?

I don't know what I said or did to set you off but my advice to you is to put me on ignore because obviously my posts are not good for your mental health.

Oh, good one Emjay.  Sneak in my mental health.  Pretend that you don't belittle people.  Like your little snarky comment at not being mad at anyone except the person who wasn't here.

Carry on!  I am not the only one who notices.

Here is my mental health advise to you.  Get out of the chair and enjoy the trade winds.  Take a stroll on the beach.

And I don't hate anyone, ever.  Not Trump, not you.  Not anyone.  Not in my vocabulary.  Just tired of accusations.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:36:32 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online DB

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2017, 08:44:18 am »

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2017, 11:00:10 am »
The president himself spends most of his time seeking others to blame for every issue he must solve.
Clearly nothing is his to solve but rather to blame on others.

To suggest that we should just go along with his various new positions that are diametrically opposed to his previously stated position is nothing more than sophistry.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2017, 11:59:52 am »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2017, 01:17:30 pm »
   @Emjay    Besides Gorsuch what, pray tell, has he done, I understand it's only been 70 days and half his cabinet is not seated, but other than some Cabinet appointments, some EO's, what?
   Healthcare and Immigration reform are in the toilet on the Domestic side,

To be honest, he's had to deal with the same problem as does any GOP President -- Congress is sufficiently independent that they can stall him if they so desire.  On Healthcare, you have the Congressional conservatives and RINO's unable to agree, and the same on immigration -- RINO's are refusing to fund a wall.  People can be snarky and say "I thought he was supposed to be a great dealmaker", but even the greatest dealmaker can't bring together people if an acceptable middle ground doesn't exist.

Otherwise, minimizing what he's done on the regulatory front as "some EO's" is really unfair.  Regulatory reform likely will have a bigger impact than legislative reform, and he's gotten further on that than any President in recent history:

The Little-Known Law Letting Trump Repeal Obama's Regulations

If it seems to you that President Trump has been rolling back a lot of Obama-era regulations, you're right.
And the way he's done it is unprecedented.

Trump and congressional Republicans have used what's called the Congressional Review Act.
Before Trump took office, the CRA had only been successfully used once since it became law in 1996.
Since Trump has taken office, he has signed 11 resolutions that rescind Obama-era regulations through the CRA.

President George W. Bush repealed a Clinton-era labor regulation in 2001 using the Congressional Review Act.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/newsy/the-littleknown-law-letting-trump-repeal-obamas-regulations

To be honest, I think there's a very good argument that - so far - Trump has been a more conservative President in terms of policy than was George W. Bush.  Trump hasn't yet even proposed anything equivalent to No Child Left Behind, or the Medicare Part D expansion.

I think the issue for @Emjay and some others -- myself included -- is that it seems like rather than supporting him on those issues where he is actually trying to do some good, there are still people refighting the primaries.  So it is pretty much 24/7 attacks on the guy.  And those attacks will blunt his ability to accomplish some things that most of us, as conservatives, should be supporting.  Leaving aside the healthcare controversy on which even conservatives disagree, his cabinet appointments, judicial appointments, efforts at regulatory reform, proposed tax reform, heightened enforcement of immigration laws are all things that most of us should want to see happen.  But the constant, 24/7 drumbeat of attacks weakens him in general, and so weakens his ability to succeed on those specific issues as well, even if the attackers don't oppose him on those issues.  That drumbeat of opposition feeds into and supports a headwind that makes it more difficult for him to succeed on anything.

I certainly wouldn't accuse everyone of this, but I can't help but agree with @Emjay that there are at least some people out there -- and on here -- whose hatred of him is so intense that it seems their No. 1 priority is to see him humiliated and defeated.  And while I'm also sure that they'd like to see those good things happen, the primary emotional investment appears to in "defeating Trump" rather than "advancing conservative issues".

I am not saying that we have to support every idea/proposal that he has.  Perfectly fair to oppose those specific ideas if someone doesn't like them.  I'm just saying that the more generalized drumbeat of attacks have the net effect of making it harder for the good things to get accomplished.  And I can only conclude that, based on those drumbeat of attacks, that getting those things accomplished just isn't that important to some folks.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:38:11 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2017, 01:52:35 pm »
To be honest, he's had to deal with the same problem as does any GOP President -- Congress is sufficiently independent that they can stall him if they so desire.  On Healthcare, you have the Congressional conservatives and RINO's unable to agree, and the same on immigration -- RINO's are refusing to fund a wall.  People can be snarky and say "I thought he was supposed to be a great dealmaker", but even the greatest dealmaker can't bring together people if an acceptable middle ground doesn't exist.

Otherwise, minimizing what he's done on the regulatory front as "some EO's" is really unfair.  Regulatory reform likely will have a bigger impact than legislative reform, and he's gotten further on that than any President in recent history:

To be honest, I think there's a very good argument that - so far - Trump has been a more conservative President in terms of policy than was George W. Bush.  Trump hasn't yet even proposed anything equivalent to No Child Left Behind, or the Medicare Part D expansion.

I think the issue for @Emjay and some others -- myself included -- is that it seems like rather than supporting him on those issues where he is actually trying to do some good, there are still people refighting the primaries.  So it is pretty much 24/7 attacks on the guy.  And those attacks will blunt his ability to accomplish some things that most of us, as conservatives, should be supporting.  Leaving aside the healthcare controversy on which even conservatives disagree, his cabinet appointments, judicial appointments, efforts at regulatory reform, proposed tax reform, heightened enforcement of immigration laws are all things that most of us should want to see happen.  But the constant, 24/7 drumbeat of attacks weakens him in general, and so weakens his ability to succeed on those specific issues as well, even if the attackers don't oppose him on those issues.  That drumbeat of opposition feeds into and supports a headwind that makes it more difficult for him to succeed on anything.

I certainly wouldn't accuse everyone of this, but I can't help but agree with @Emjay that there are at least some people out there -- and on here -- whose hatred of him is so intense that it seems their No. 1 priority is to see him humiliated and defeated.  And while I'm also sure that they'd like to see those good things happen, the primary emotional investment appears to in "defeating Trump" rather than "advancing conservative issues".

I am not saying that we have to support every idea/proposal that he has.  Perfectly fair to oppose those specific ideas if someone doesn't like them.  I'm just saying that the more generalized drumbeat of attacks have the net effect of making it harder for the good things to get accomplished.  And I can only conclude that, based on those drumbeat of attacks, that getting those things accomplished just isn't that important to some folks.

If sanctuary cities come to an end and illegal immigration is curtailed I will be the first to congratulate Trump on that one.  If our local and Federal governments stop subsidizing companies who would rather hire illegal immigrants it will be applauded.  Trump must stop the welfare promise to illegals and companies who hire them.  These companies do so because the government provides instead of them.   Shutting out Americans from jobs in manufacturing, construction and a number of service jobs.

And illegal immigrants crossing to have their children here and gain an anchor must stop.  Then I will start singing a Trump tune.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2017, 02:24:05 pm »
If sanctuary cities come to an end and illegal immigration is curtailed I will be the first to congratulate Trump on that one.  If our local and Federal governments stop subsidizing companies who would rather hire illegal immigrants it will be applauded.  Trump must stop the welfare promise to illegals and companies who hire them.  These companies do so because the government provides instead of them.   Shutting out Americans from jobs in manufacturing, construction and a number of service jobs.

And illegal immigrants crossing to have their children here and gain an anchor must stop.  Then I will start singing a Trump tune.

It's not a question of singing a Trump tune.  He's a somewhat repulsive guy in some ways.

My point is that the constant drumbeat of criticism -- residual anger from the primaries -- weakens him and strengthens those trying to stop him.  That makes all those good things less likely to occur.

There is a middle ground between "singing a Trump tune" and "constant drumbeat of criticism."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2017, 02:42:52 pm »
It's not a question of singing a Trump tune.  He's a somewhat repulsive guy in some ways.

My point is that the constant drumbeat of criticism -- residual anger from the primaries -- weakens him and strengthens those trying to stop him.  That makes all those good things less likely to occur.

There is a middle ground between "singing a Trump tune" and "constant drumbeat of criticism."

That's a remarkably clear suggestion. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2017, 02:45:26 pm »

It has nothing to do with primaries except that he made bigly promises that anyone should have known could not be kept.

When I see Trump do things that benefits America and Americans I will applaud him.  When he does things that do not benefit America, Americans and our interest I will criticize.  No President is above criticism.  It is what keeps a healthy relationship between the government and the people who elect them.

This illegal immigration problem is not a problem of a wall.  It is a problem of government giving welfare to corporations so that they can screw the American worker.  It is the idea that low wage jobs are not important to Americans trying to make a living.  That we can continue to give our jobs away just so that small businesses can be competitive.  It is a system that has been created over time.  Giving tax id's so that illegal immigrants can live in the United States as if they are citizens.  Using special tax id's created by our government to allow illegals to buy homes, cars and businesses.

Our jobs are important.  We shouldn't be punished for working and paying our taxes.  That is exactly what has been done to us.  We don't collect welfare we want our jobs. 

Our jobs matter.

If he really does know the art of the deal he should be able to work with Congress to get what the people elected him to get.  Politicians want to keep going down the road of business as usual.  If the public isn't critical then we aren't holding them accountable.  It is their jobs on the line.  Including Trump.  We could loose bigly in the next election unless they get out of the mindset that they can continue to do what they have always done.

I reject the idea that we should praise for crumbs.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:53:09 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2017, 02:52:54 pm »
@Sanguine

That's a remarkably clear suggestion.

Thanks!  At long last, you've given me an inspiration for an avatar....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2017, 02:56:58 pm »
@Sanguine

Thanks!  At long last, you've given me an inspiration for an avatar....

Nice!  Did you do that?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2017, 02:58:34 pm »
Nice!  Did you do that?

Oh hell no.  I have all the artistic ability of...a blind squirrel.

I just saw your comment, thought "blind squirrel", and google did the rest.  Thanks for the inspiration!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:59:02 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2017, 03:00:40 pm »
Oh hell no.  I have all the artistic ability of...a blind squirrel.

I just saw your comment, thought "blind squirrel", and google did the rest.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Now, in all fairness to me, I didn't say or even imply that you were usually unclear.  I just said that for comments on this thread, yours was remarkably clear (and right).

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2017, 03:04:16 pm »

It's not our job to strengthen Trump. That's his job. He's the President.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2017, 03:04:50 pm »

When I see Trump do things that benefits America and Americans I will applaud him.  When he does things that do not benefit America, Americans and our interest I will criticize. 

That's fair.  But don't you think there's a lot of, uh, residual criticism still going on based on things that happened prior to his inauguration?  Because my point is that constantly blasting him for the admittedly stupid/offensive stuff he said prior to taking office really doesn't help advance a conservative agenda now.

Support the good things he does as President.  Then, if he does something bad as President, criticize him for that in the hopes of convincing him to alter course.  That makes sense to me.  But refighting various grudges from the time before he took office does nothing other than strengthen those on the left who are trying to prevent him from accomplishing anything, including appointing judges, appointing subcabinet positions, etc..  It helps perpetuate the legacy of Obama for as long as possible.

Just offering it for consideration....

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2017, 03:07:36 pm »
It's not our job to strengthen Trump. That's his job. He's the President.

It's also not your job to tear him down in general.

If you don't want to strengthen him, that's fine.  But considering all the people left of center --  not just in the media, but in the universities, in our own government, in other countries, etc., -- who are frothing at the mouth to tear him down, if some folks don't try to support him, his ability to accomplish things that many of us should support is going to be crippled.  I don't see how that is a good thing.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2017, 03:08:45 pm »
Now, in all fairness to me, I didn't say or even imply that you were usually unclear.  I just said that for comments on this thread, yours was remarkably clear (and right).

No worries -- I didn't take it that way.  It just struck me that was one way it could be taken, and I thought it made a funny image.  So, I ran with it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:09:23 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

• Technical
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2017, 03:10:52 pm »
It's also not your job to tear him down in general.

If you don't want to strengthen him, that's fine.  But considering all the people left of center --  not just in the media, but in the universities, in our own government, in other countries, etc., -- who are frothing at the mouth to tear him down, if some folks don't try to support him, his ability to accomplish things that many of us should support is going to be crippled.  I don't see how that is a good thing.

I really think you overestimate the importance of this forum. To me it's just a place to vent. I don't like discussing politics with friends or family.

Is the purpose of this forum to be all rah-rah about Trump 24-7? To be his cheerleaders? You wouldn't like the sight of me in pom poms and a skirt, believe me.  :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2017, 03:12:34 pm »

I think the issue for @Emjay and some others -- myself included -- is that it seems like rather than supporting him on those issues where he is actually trying to do some good, there are still people refighting the primaries. 
Funny you should mention that, Bill. I, too have noticed such. In fact, at times when I would openly praise Trump's actions or expressions of policy, my determination to do so is dampened by the still tedious braying about 'nevertrumpers being Hillary supporters'. I find myself disinclined to comment lest I become uncivil, and any praise for the actions of our POTUS can wait.

It appears, at least from my perspective, that the primaries are still being fought, against those who did not gushingly or even reluctantly support Trump. So it goes. YMMV.
So it is pretty much 24/7 attacks on the guy.
Aside from confirmations of predictions made back when, often after the primaries, the attacks aren't coming from the Right, unless, that is, he does something highly questionable.
We will still advocate the rule of law, or the desire to change the law, but not 'bending' the law Obama-style, because the latter only establishes bipartisan a bipartisan precedent of contempt for the law and effectively negates the law. We're not necessarily in agreement with all the laws, but we don't advocate lawlessness, either, especially at the highest levels.
  And those attacks will blunt his ability to accomplish some things that most of us, as conservatives, should be supporting.  Leaving aside the healthcare controversy on which even conservatives disagree, his cabinet appointments, judicial appointments, efforts at regulatory reform, proposed tax reform, heightened enforcement of immigration laws are all things that most of us should want to see happen.
Fine, get after it. Repeal Obamacare, too. As to what Conservatives should be supporting, even here that is a fairly wide spectrum, especially from the soi disant set.
  But the constant, 24/7 drumbeat of attacks weakens him in general, and so weakens his ability to succeed on those specific issues as well, even if the attackers don't oppose him on those issues.  That drumbeat of opposition feeds into and supports a headwind that makes it more difficult for him to succeed on anything.
I think what you are talking about is called the MSM.
Anyone who expected them to be anything but an opposition force hasn't been playing the home game. I really doubt anyone here can cause him to succeed or fail with what is written here, unless someone pulls out a Dan Rather Memogate type incident.

There certainly are. The Democrats in the MSM are frothing at the mouth, and the ones in Congress aren't much better. Then there are the GOPe who will oppose him more than will be apparent. 

I haven't seen that here, not since the election.

I haven't seen anyone here profess hatred for Trump, nor a desire to see him fail in any Conservative endeavour.
I have seen a lot of posters here who are seriously for a return to our Constitutional Republic, and the Rule of Law, who don't want Republicans acting like Democrats, who do not want contempt for our legal system through action or inaction displayed by public servants--any of them, and who do want the policies and injuries of the past administration rectified, up to and including prosecution of those who so egregiously broke our laws.

What I have observed o the part of a very few posters is a lot of hypersensitive passive/aggressive snarking at those who opposed Trump in the primaries when he does do right (which will prevent the voicing of a lot pf praise that might have been delivered otherwise), and then a lot of whining when people call them on the snark. Yes, those who are doing this know who they are, and should be fully aware they are doing it.

Before people are given a real opportunity to say "Okay, he did good!" we see the same old sh*t about "nevertrumpers and Hillary". Who isn't letting go?

I, and others have tried to bury that hatchet, but some people just keep digging it back up.
I am not saying that we have to support every idea/proposal that he has. Perfectly fair to oppose those specific ideas if someone doesn't like them.  I'm just saying that the more generalized drumbeat of attacks have the net effect of making it harder for the good things to get accomplished.  And I can only conclude that, based on those drumbeat of attacks, that getting those things accomplished just isn't that important to some folks.
I guess it depends on what you consider important, and what you consider 'good', Bill.
There are people out there in the real world who are adamantly opposed to reversing Obama Administration "gains" (well, that's how they see it). In accordance with the First Amendment, they write their opinions, and we can't do much about that but address the issues.

After all, it is about the issues, about right and wrong, about Constitutional and unConstitutional, about the usurpation of power or restoring it to the rightful owners, about the rule of law or changing/repealing the law.

I really don't care whose name is on it. You could call an law the Chuck Schumer Firearms Act, and if it actually repealed gun control back to the NFA of '34 (with no tricks), I would be perfectly happy with that.

But it isn't about the POTUS' actions and accomplishments, rather the lack of adulation by some of us on the Right that seems to be taken as "opposition". 

We can't just discuss an issue as an issue, because the issue and the man have been emotionally attached together in the minds of those who seem to see Trump as a messiah figure.
Mere willingness to suspend hostility is seen as hostility, disagreement is seen as sacrilege or apostasy, and it seems there are those who would gladly excommunicate Conservatives from the Republican Party who take issue with policy for not kissing the ring.

I worship no man, but anything less is somehow catapulted by false dichotomy to being a "Hillary supporter". When those who spew that garbage quit, perhaps we can get back to discussing issues and perhaps even make some progress.

It isn't about Trump, it's about the Republic.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:13:16 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2017, 03:13:53 pm »
That's fair.  But don't you think there's a lot of, uh, residual criticism still going on based on things that happened prior to his inauguration?  Because my point is that constantly blasting him for the admittedly stupid/offensive stuff he said prior to taking office really doesn't help advance a conservative agenda now.

Just offering it for consideration....

It's a full time job blaasting him for the stupid/offensive stuff he says and does now.

Seen his latest tweet?

North Korea is looking for trouble. If China decides to help, that would be great. If not, we will solve the problem without them! U.S.A.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/851767718248361986

Phrasing, dude, phrasing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:15:00 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2017, 03:13:55 pm »
I really think you overestimate the importance of this forum. To me it's just a place to vent. I don't like discussing politics with friends or family.

Is the purpose of this forum to be all rah-rah about Trump 24-7? To be his cheerleaders? You wouldn't like the sight of me in pom poms and a skirt, believe me.  :laugh:

I don't even like the thought of it!

However, you do us fairly serious commenters a disservice if you only come here to rant.  We might as well put you on ignore if that's all you plan to contribute.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2017, 03:16:47 pm »

Ah, okay.  No, I don't overestimate the influence of this forum.  If I'm addressing that kind of point, it is really a comment on when those same points are made in a more public sphere.  But there is also the element that a lot of people do discuss politics with others in RL, and some even have minor positions with the party, etc..  There is at least some validity to the idea that grassroots discussions/activism matter in the aggregate.

No -- and like I said, it's not the lack of "rah-rah" stuff.  It is the constant drumbeat of criticism based on things that happened prior to the inauguration that is the problem.   And also...rehashing pre-inauguration gripes just gets freaking old after awhile even for discussion purposes.  We already know all those arguments -- not a damn new point has been made for month about Trump's pre-election conduct.  So when every discussion on every issue ends up going back to "Trump didn't deserve my vote", with the same litany of complains about Ted Cruz' father, etc., it just gets stale.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:19:57 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

• Technical
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2017, 03:20:36 pm »
No -- and like I said, it's not the lack of "rah-rah" stuff.  It is the constant drumbeat of criticism that is the problem.

So what do you want? Me to pretend I'm ok with Trump and how he's doing? Shut my mouth when I see him make one boneheaded mistake after the other? Would that make you happier?