Author Topic: Trump Regrets  (Read 12802 times)

Offline Rivergirl

Re: Trump Regrets
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2017, 05:51:58 pm »
Seems to me we have some folks here who want to give DT a medal for participation.
I except results in concrete before I give awards for effort.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2017, 05:56:58 pm »
Really !!!  Sometimes I feel like we should have a map of the playground showing where the swings and slides are.

Lol ... I'm still looking for the blasted teeter-totter and tilt-a-whirl!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2017, 06:18:30 pm »
The only thing that bothered me about that discussion was a certain person who swears he's a rick-ribbed conservative Republican, but is everything but.  I don't mind having spirited discussions with fellow conservatives about how to get from here to there, but I don't have patience with people who disagree with our goals and are involved in the argument just to get people fighting with each other. 

In internet lingo, they're "trolls."
If they are pulling the other direction, they aren't on the team. There are a couple out there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2017, 10:35:39 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin @bolobaby

Well, how about we start right here.

*clip for brevity*

So, I agree with most of this. I think the main omission, though, is that we should listen objectively to each other. The biggest problem I see right now is that any criticism of Trump is treated by some not as objective analysis of what *should* be done, but as an editorial on their support of the man in the primary. For this reason, they cannot brook any dissent with Trump or his ways. I'm still waiting on the post from certain people that says, "Wow - Trump got that one wrong." I've posted several "Kudos to Trump," but never see the corollary from certain folks.

You know, I used to tell this one guy who always saw fault in others but never himself, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone... and if you THINK you are without sin, then that's your very first sin. Pride."

Now - on one other matter: I spent a short stint here recently mocking the posting style of certain individuals on Team Trump. They know who they are. Their posts follow the pattern laid out in my sig. I'm already tired of that trope. It was fun, but I have a hard time looking for stupid laughing mouse emoticons whenever I post. So consider that done.

I would be tickled pink if we dispensed entirely with the dismissive laughing emoticons, fake sweetness designed to pat you on your head and send you on your way, and other forms of "I'm just better than you because I voted for Trump" responses. That would go a LONG way to creating peace around here.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2017, 10:39:17 pm »
If I may add a request, could we stop personally attacking people we disagree with?  I've made general remarks that some people have taken as personal insults.

By the way, you used another word I love ... 'dreck.'  It takes me back.  It was the favorite word of a boss I once had, he probably used it 50 times a day.

To me, it's a given that Trump has disgusting personal qualities that I can never respect.  That being said, dwelling on those now is futile and pointless.

He has stated some conservative goals and has made a lot of effort in that direction with some success.  That's all I'll say.

@Emjay

Maybe this response would have more credibility if it wasn't preceded by an attack on another poster indicating you were worried about their mental health and that they should seek help.

Just saying.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2017, 10:50:02 pm »
@Emjay

Maybe this response would have more credibility if it wasn't preceded by an attack on another poster indicating you were worried about their mental health and that they should seek help.

Just saying.

Yep. Biggest hypocrite on here.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2017, 12:30:17 am »
@Emjay

Just saying.
[/qu

@bolobaby

That unfortunate situation is exactly why I made this post.  If you had followed the whole discussion, you would know that I was attacked by @Chosen Daughter for no reason other than she disagreed with me and took some general comments I made as an attack on her.

I had not once mentioned her in any way at all prior to that argument.

I regret being drawn into it and wish I had not responded to her at all.  That post she made to me was just plain crazy and uncalled for and I do think she .... well, maybe it was a little late at night.

I also think your jumping in on that with accusations against me is wrong.  Why would you do such a thing?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2017, 03:15:02 am »
What have you noticed, Pray Tell.  Is everybody crazy?

If you click the "Quote from:" above a quote box, it will take you up to that post.  You can track back that way to see what was referenced, @Emjay.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2017, 04:10:33 am »
If you click the "Quote from:" above a quote box, it will take you up to that post.  You can track back that way to see what was referenced, @Emjay.

I went all the way back to page 5 or 6 of this thread to see what started the problem.  AND I copied it in a word document.

I did not insult anyone. I could e-mail the whole thing to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2017, 05:00:51 am »
I went all the way back to page 5 or 6 of this thread to see what started the problem.  AND I copied it in a word document.

@Suppressed   

By the way, I did that because I wanted to be sure I had not inadvertently insulted anyone.  I hadn't.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2017, 05:23:37 am »

I am going to leave it at this.  But my posts were not unwarranted.  This has been building for some time.  Emjay will not admit that she leads people into arguments.  This was starting on page 3 or 4 where she says she is angry with someone who is not here.  What is the purpose?  It is a leading comment that makes people think who is she mad at?

Then she says how she wasn't a Trump supporter but she was able to rise above this and come on board to support the President.  Going on to psychoanalyze others who are not able to overcome as she has.  Some people do this...... and they can't ......

There have been many posts and I am not the only one who has questioned.  In one thread I saw her be rude and I told her you are rude.  It wasn't a post about me.  But I simply will not respond to her leading me on any longer. 

I was wrong and I should not have reacted.  The proper thing would have been to rise above Emjays taunting. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:48:53 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2017, 01:27:00 pm »
@Emjay

Just saying.

@bolobaby

That unfortunate situation is exactly why I made this post.  If you had followed the whole discussion, you would know that I was attacked by @Chosen Daughter for no reason other than she disagreed with me and took some general comments I made as an attack on her.

I had not once mentioned her in any way at all prior to that argument.

I regret being drawn into it and wish I had not responded to her at all.  That post she made to me was just plain crazy and uncalled for and I do think she .... well, maybe it was a little late at night.

I also think your jumping in on that with accusations against me is wrong.  Why would you do such a thing?

@Emjay

You're right. I remember now the teachings of Jesus where he said that two wrongs make a right and that sinners should be the first to cast stones.

Look - I don't care much about your feud with Chosen Daughter. I've watched the behavior of both of you and am simply saying that if you think you are without any fault, then that's your first sin.

I'll be the first to admit that I got tired of the style of certain posters and decided to "poke the bear." Sin recognized. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm willing to modify my behavior now.

Are you?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:27:46 pm by bolobaby »
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2017, 01:41:43 pm »
Good grief!! Attacks against other posters have never been acceptable in here.  Attacks against politicians,yes. I'm surprised things have gotten this far.

Join hands now ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPN3Fv2aJhE
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:42:01 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »

@Emjay

Let me help:

"You are in a small but sensible and admirable group.  There are at least two of us." - Insulting because it implies that anyone who disagrees with you is neither sensible or admirable.

"OMG, Cripplecreek  ... that totally says it all for a Trump hater." - Insulting because it dismisses a completely reasonable argument by simply calling him a Trump hater.

"There are people here who are furious that Trump didn't nominate his sister ... just for the pure joy they would feel in saying 'I told you so.'" - Insulting because it implies a childish motivation without any evidence that anyone actually wanted Trump to nominate his sister.

"One of us is confused and it couldn't possibly be me." - Insulting. A passive aggressive way of saying, "You're obviously the confused one."

"LOL" - Insulting, dismissive. Rather, why not simply say, "I'm sorry. I actually didn't mean you."

"You have gone officially round the bend." - Insulting. Do I need to explain why? In fact, the whole post is basically an insult, but I just pasted this part for brevity.

"I have serious concerns about you.... Get help!" - We covered this one.

Here's what I've noticed in life: lots of passive aggressive types don't recognize when they are actually insulting people. That's because, through their passivity, they don't see an insult as anything less than saying something outright.

Your first two posts on this thread, as outlined above, were actually insulting. Rather than simply say, "I'm also a Trump accepter. He is who we have. I hope he does well," you decided to dismiss everyone else as not sensible, admirable, or simply blinded by Trump hate.

And, in doing so, you set the tone of the exchange with you.

Now - AGAIN - I admit that I used this thread to poke the bear over a specific childish posting style I've witnessed on the board. I'm sorry. That's done for me. I pray I never have to see the term "butthurt" or a laughing mouse emoticon in response to reasonable analysis again, but we'll see.

But, you really need to start asking yourself whether or not you are doing the passive aggressive thing. That sort of behavior is even more aggravating than just coming out and saying, "You suck - I hate you, Trump hating Cruzbot loser!"
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:48:15 pm by bolobaby »
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »

Now - AGAIN - I admit that I used this thread to poke the bear over a specific childish posting style I've witnessed on the board. I'm sorry. That's done for me. I pray I never have to see the term "butthurt" or a laughing mouse emoticon in response to reasonable analysis again, but we'll see.

But, you really need to start asking yourself whether or not you are doing the passive aggressive thing. That sort of behavior is even more aggravating than just coming out and saying, "You suck - I hate you, Trump hating Cruzbot loser!"

888high58888
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2017, 03:07:21 pm »

Here's what I've noticed in life: lots of passive aggressive types don't recognize when they are actually insulting people. That's because, through their passivity, they don't see an insult as anything less than saying something outright.

My $0.02.

That's most of it...some don't realize they're doing it.  But I've seen others who are passive aggressive do it for another reason:  They feel they can get away with it because they think it doesn't quite cross the line that will get the Mods on them.  They'll say something insulting that can be taken more than one way, then when called on it say"Oh, you big silly!  I meant it the other way" with, I presume, an innocent look on their face.

I've probably done that a couple times myself, and I'm a work in progress, improving to not do that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2017, 03:30:00 pm »
My $0.02.

That's most of it...some don't realize they're doing it.  But I've seen others who are passive aggressive do it for another reason:  They feel they can get away with it because they think it doesn't quite cross the line that will get the Mods on them.  They'll say something insulting that can be taken more than one way, then when called on it say"Oh, you big silly!  I meant it the other way" with, I presume, an innocent look on their face.

I've probably done that a couple times myself, and I'm a work in progress, improving to not do that.

I don't think you do that Cyber; you're pretty straightforward and honest.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:27 pm »
888high58888

My $0.02.

I'm an active aggressive. If I think someone is being a bootlicker, I say it. At the same time, though, you have to be able to take it right back or it doesn't work.

For a passive aggressive, there is usually a lot of dishing out, but a complete unwillingness to take it.

In the end, I prefer an argument on the merits. Let's just talk about, for example, whether or not the Ryancare bill is truly a good conservative option and, if not, if it is fair to say that we might have gotten a better option with a different president. If the answer is, "No - Trump is the best," then prove it with actual, objective points. I'll listen... maybe not agree... but listen.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2017, 03:34:33 pm »
@Emjay

Actually, they know exactly when they're insulting someone.  They just think the way they're doing it gives them deniability, and insulates them from being called out on it.  I've had a few talks with people who do that, and the ultimately reaction is never an indignant "I didn't insult anyone" but rather embarrassment at being called out on it, and a mumbling denial that they didn't mean anything by it.  But they certainly knew exactly what they meant when they stated/wrote the passive/aggressive attack.

I'm not saying this with respect to anyone here, either.  Just a general comment on passive aggressive comments in general.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2017, 03:39:12 pm »
In the end, I prefer an argument on the merits. Let's just talk about, for example, whether or not the Ryancare bill is truly a good conservative option and, if not, if it is fair to say that we might have gotten a better option with a different president. If the answer is, "No - Trump is the best," then prove it with actual, objective points. I'll listen... maybe not agree... but listen.

The reality is that a lot of those kind of arguments about what someone "really thinks" can't be proven at all.  It's supposition, and inherently contains an element of speculation.  Nothing wrong with that, but it explains why people can go round and round on issues like that and never agree.

A great example is the pre-election debate over who Trump would nominate to the Supreme Court.  You had that "he gave us that list, and I think he'll pick from it" side versus the "you can't trust him and he'll probably pick someone who will make us puke" side.  And it was impossible to prove at the time which side was correct.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2017, 03:49:03 pm »
The reality is that a lot of those kind of arguments about what someone "really thinks" can't be proven at all.  It's supposition, and inherently contains an element of speculation.  Nothing wrong with that, but it explains why people can go round and round on issues like that and never agree.

A great example is the pre-election debate over who Trump would nominate to the Supreme Court.  You had that "he gave us that list, and I think he'll pick from it" side versus the "you can't trust him and he'll probably pick someone who will make us puke" side.  And it was impossible to prove at the time which side was correct.

Prior to the election, I argued:

Pick Cruz, get a Justice Scalia in the White House.

Pick Trump, get a Justice Kennedy in the White House.

By extension, I argued that Trump was unlikely to pick the right candidate for the SCOTUS. He did. I'm glad for it. I admit that I was wrong on that.

Now - if certain folks would just admit, "Yeah, Trump really bungled the Obamacare replacement by backing that Ryancare trash," we'd REALLY be getting somewhere!
1. Trump is never wrong.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »
Prior to the election, I argued:

Pick Cruz, get a Justice Scalia in the White House.

Pick Trump, get a Justice Kennedy in the White House.

By extension, I argued that Trump was unlikely to pick the right candidate for the SCOTUS. He did. I'm glad for it. I admit that I was wrong on that.

Now - if certain folks would just admit, "Yeah, Trump really bungled the Obamacare replacement by backing that Ryancare trash," we'd REALLY be getting somewhere!

Alternatively, we could just try not rubbing it in other peoples' faces when we're right, and they're wrong.  And people still disagree on RyanCare.  Honestly, I think it is too soon to judge.  If a better bill gets passed, then opposing it was right.  If a worse bill, or no bill at all gets passed, then it was wrong.  At least from my perspective.

We'll have to wait and see.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2017, 04:03:06 pm »
Alternatively, we could just try not rubbing it in other peoples' faces when we're right, and they're wrong.  And people still disagree on RyanCare.  Honestly, I think it is too soon to judge.  If a better bill gets passed, then opposing it was right.  If a worse bill, or no bill at all gets passed, then it was wrong.  At least from my perspective.

I agree - we don't know how Gorsuch is going to go on the Court.  Let's wait until he's got some good decisions under his belt before we go all in with the approval. 

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2017, 04:41:27 pm »

Actually, this one is easy:

As a conservative, list the top 5 or 6 things you'd like to see in a healthcare bill and/or Obamacare repeal.

Now, ask yourself whether or not Ryancare has the majority of those things.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2017, 05:03:50 pm »
Then may I suggest you align your thesis with your posts and delete your recurring insult @bolobaby ?

And @mystery-ak -- has the time come to move this to Members Only?

Thank you for your recommendation, @Right_in_Virginia, but that will not be necessary.