Author Topic: Trump accused the Freedom Caucus of 'saving' Obamacare. Its leader said it's not over.  (Read 44974 times)

Offline corbe

Trump accused the Freedom Caucus of 'saving' Obamacare. Its leader said it's not over.

by Circa News

March 26, 2017

Days after blaming Democrats for the failed attempt to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, President Trump took aim at the House Freedom Caucus on Twitter Sunday morning.

Echoing a similar tweet from Friday, Trump said the conservative caucus had "saved Planned Parenthood & Ocare!"

Many members of the caucus refused to support the American Health Care Act,leading House Republicans to pull it from a vote. Trump vowed to move on to other issues and let Obamacare "explode."

Here's Trump's Sunday morning tweet.

Donald J. Trump
✔  ‎@realDonaldTrump 

Democrats are smiling in D.C. that the Freedom Caucus, with the help of Club For Growth and Heritage, have saved Planned Parenthood & Ocare!

7:21 AM - 26 Mar 2017

And here's a similar one from Friday.

Donald J. Trump
✔  ‎@realDonaldTrump 

The irony is that the Freedom Caucus, which is very pro-life and against Planned Parenthood, allows P.P. to continue if they stop this plan!

7:23 AM - 24 Mar 2017

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC), chair of the Freedom Caucus, said on ABC's "This Week" Sunday that this was not the end of the fight to repeal Obamacare. He compared the political situation to the Super Bowl, where the New England Patriots' odds of victory looked dismal before a historic comeback.

"This is not the end of the debate ... It's like saying that Tom Brady lost at halftime."

—Rep. Mark Meadows

White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus said some GOP leaders were "scrambling."

In a Fox News interview Sunday, he said some conservatives may have been overly perfectionist.[/i]

<..snip..>

http://circa.com/circa-now/happening/trump-accused-mark-meadows-freedom-caucus-of-saving-obamacare

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

In a Fox News interview Sunday, he said some conservatives may have been overly perfectionist

"may have been overly perfectionist"??   Well, this is certainly diplomatic.  :smokin:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:25:51 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
If Trump had half the brains he claims to have he would have formed a committee of conservative representatives and senators to study and come up with a workable plan that would actually stand a chance of passage.

Instead he was in such a rush for something to pass so he could slap his name on it and declare victory that he didn't care what it was as long as it passed and he could call it a win for himself. Unfortunately he didn't count on it being unpopular and him taking the blame.

Now rather than learning from his mistake he's decided to launch attacks on moderates and conservatives alike.

Offline bilo

"may have been overly perfectionist"??   Well, this is certainly diplomatic.  :smokin:

The bill that fully repeals obamacare is sitting in committee right now. It is the same as the 2015 bill that passed both Houses. All that needs to be done is for a majority (216) of member to sign off on it. Pres. Trump can move to the right and embrace this, or he can move to the left and support the status quo. From his tweets it looks like he's moving to the left. As someone who didn't vote for him in part because I didn't believe he would be a reliable conservative I hope I'm wrong, but early indications are I'm not.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline skeeter

Outside of pulling PP funding, conservatives got absolutely nothing from Ryan's bill.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:44:12 pm by skeeter »

Offline Rivergirl

Guess DT knows he can't burn all the bridges.   His bullying days are over.  No one is afraid of the big bad wolf anymore.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The bill that fully repeals obamacare is sitting in committee right now. It is the same as the 2015 bill that passed both Houses. All that needs to be done is for a majority (216) of member to sign off on it.

That's "all"?  Ok, then if enough support actually exists to pass a clean repeal, then why doesn't the House just pass it?  Put the onus on Trump to veto it if he doesn't like it.

Offline roamer_1

That's "all"?  Ok, then if enough support actually exists to pass a clean repeal, then why doesn't the House just pass it?  Put the onus on Trump to veto it if he doesn't like it.

Wanna bet the Turtle won't let it to the floor?

Offline corbe

Outside of pulling PP funding, conservatives got absolutely nothing from Ryan's bill.
@skeeter
    And that pulling of funding for PP had a 1 year limit on it, subject to renewal at each interval, I read somewhere.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Yes ... and neither do the people @skeeter, neither does small business. 

But, hell .. as long as conservatives are happy ... I guess it's worth all of the pain their myopic vision inflicts. 

@skeeter
    And that pulling of funding for PP had a 1 year limit on it, subject to renewal at each interval, I read somewhere.

So I guess saving the unborn for even 12 months holds no value for conservatives.

Good to know.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Off the top of my head, they also got the elimination of the business mandate/tax penalty, and the elimination of the "essential health benefits" requirement.  The former would have helped a lot of small/medium businesses, and the latter would have reduced costs for most people.  We also got a transitioning of the Medicaid supplement to block grants, and a date for beginning phase-out.

Instead, we got bupkis.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:54:27 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline skeeter

But, hell .. as long as conservatives are happy ... I guess it's worth all of the pain their myopic vision inflicts.

Yes, we've heard this all before. From the establishment GOP and left wing media.

Offline skeeter

Off the top of my head, they also got the elimination of the business mandate/tax penalty, and the elimination of the "essential health benefits" requirement.  The former would have helped a lot of small/medium businesses, and the latter would have reduced costs for most people.

Instead, we got bupkis.

So you're blaming conservatives for taking candidate Trump seriously too?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

If you've truly got a majority who want to pass it, he's got no choice.  Same in the House with Ryan.

So why isn't that happening?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

So you're blaming conservatives for taking candidate Trump seriously too?

No.  I'm saying that you are wrong to claim that the only thing conservatives would have gotten is the Planned Parenthood funding cut.  I'm saying they also would have gotten (again, just off the top of my head):

1) elimination of the "essential health benefits" requirement:

2) Elimination of the business mandate/tax, and:

3) Medicaid expansion conversion to block grant, with phase-out date set.

And that instead, we got bupkis. Is that correct, or not?

ETA:  Oh yeah, there was also the $150B or so reduction in federal spending.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:53:56 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bilo

If Trump had half the brains he claims to have he would have formed a committee of conservative representatives and senators to study and come up with a workable plan that would actually stand a chance of passage.

Instead he was in such a rush for something to pass so he could slap his name on it and declare victory that he didn't care what it was as long as it passed and he could call it a win for himself. Unfortunately he didn't count on it being unpopular and him taking the blame.

Now rather than learning from his mistake he's decided to launch attacks on moderates and conservatives alike.

Good analysis!

Offline skeeter

No.  I'm saying that you are wrong to claim that the only thing conservatives would have gotten is the Planned Parenthood funding cut.  I'm saying they also would have gotten (again, just off the top of my head):

1) elimination of the "essential health benefits" requirement:

2) Elimination of the business mandate/tax, and:

3) Medicaid expansion conversion to block grant, with phase-out date set.

And that instead, we got bupkis. Is that correct, or not?

I'm sure it is correct.

Do you believe this is what voters understood Trump and the GOP to be promising to do with Obamacare when they elected them to the White House and both houses of congress?

Offline bilo

I'm behind this 100%.

The repeal gives the Pubs a 2 yr window to pass legislation that will replace any areas that need replacing. It's time for the Pubs to do what they said they would do.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Rience Priebus and Paul Ryan are a POX on the Trump presidency but HE cannot see that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

What choice would he have if Trump supported it?

What choice would he have if the House [passed it?

What choice would he have if the Pub base made it clear that this was a condition of them having a majority (which the base has done!).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:11:02 pm by bilo »

Offline corbe

I'm sure it is correct.

Do you believe this is what voters understood Trump and the GOP to be promising to do with Obamacare when they elected them to the White House and both houses of congress?

The Campaign cry of 'FIX IT' just doesn't ring like 'Repeal & Replace'.

Good point also @bilo

Offline roamer_1

If you've truly got a majority who want to pass it, he's got no choice.  Same in the House with Ryan.

So why isn't that happening?

That is not true. Leadership can bury it in committee.

Offline bilo

I'm guessing you don't have a small business.

My business was turned upside down by obamacare. The limited policy I could offer employees was no longer available. I had to let most employees go and hire back some as contractors. My own insurance tripled in cost until I joined a Christian Healthcare co-op. I stopped my plans for growth in the USA and began investing a part of my business in Central America.

I was totally opposed to the obamacare 2.0, without a complete repeal the next Rat POTUS can put everything right back in place because of all the authority the original bill gave to the HHS Secty.

Offline skeeter

The Campaign cry of 'FIX IT' just doesn't ring like 'Repeal & Replace'.

Good point also @bilo

I thought things were going to be different. I'm still hopeful but this looks alot like the same ol' crap to me.