Author Topic: Why didn’t the GOP try to pass last year’s vetoed health-care bill?  (Read 5789 times)

Offline endicom

Hot Air
Taylor Millard
Mar. 24, 2017

One of the things conservative and libertarian groups have been grousing about regarding Trump/Ryancare is the fact Congress seemed unwilling to even consider re-passing the 2016 healthcare bill vetoed by former President Barack Obama. The Restoring Americans’ Healthcare Freedom Reconciliation Act (introduced by now HHS Secretary Tom Price) would have eliminated the individual mandate, ended the Cadillac tax, let people use their HSA to buy over the counter drugs, and killed several other taxes on insurers and medical devices. It also de-funded Planned Parenthood.

More... http://hotair.com/archives/2017/03/24/why-didnt-the-gop-try-to-pass-last-years-vetoed-health-care-bill/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
An EXCELLENT question and the answer is that they had no wish to actually repeal it then or now!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
An EXCELLENT question and the answer is that they had no wish to actually repeal it then or now!
I believe you are correct.

Only now, it might actually have been signed.

What they have done is exposed themselves as the liars they are. They have proven to the world they cannot be trusted. The one, signature issue that was (finally!) theirs to win with and they made it into some limp loser.

If that bunch of jackasses would quit kissing K street's collective hindparts and remember who put them in office, they might get to keep their phoneybaloney jobs.

Time to start the picking primary challengers.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I believe you are correct.

Only now, it might actually have been signed.

What they have done is exposed themselves as the liars they are. They have proven to the world they cannot be trusted. The one, signature issue that was (finally!) theirs to win with and they made it into some limp loser.

If that bunch of jackasses would quit kissing K street's collective hindparts and remember who put them in office, they might get to keep their phoneybaloney jobs.

Time to start the picking primary challengers.

I strongly suspect that many of them will return with highly modified attitudes after their month-long Easter break!  Maybe that will make a difference.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

I strongly suspect that many of them will return with highly modified attitudes after their month-long Easter break!  Maybe that will make a difference.
If they even have the guts to show at a face to face meet up.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

Quick and easy, one page bill that repeals the ACA.

Bring it to the floor now!

But Ryan doesn't want to repeal the ACA

Offline RetBobbyMI

Why can't they vote on the same bill that passed in 2015

[Congressional Bills 114th Congress]
[From the U.S. Government Publishing Office]
[H.R. 596 Placed on Calendar Senate (PCS)]

Calendar No. 14
114th CONGRESS
  1st Session
                                H. R. 596

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

February 4, 2015

Received; read the first time

February 5, 2015

Read the second time and placed on the calendar

AN ACT

To repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and health
care-related provisions in the Health Care and Education Reconciliation
                  Act of 2010, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the
United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. REPEAL OF PPACA AND HEALTH CARE-RELATED PROVISIONS IN THE
              HEALTH CARE AND EDUCATION RECONCILIATION ACT OF 2010.

(a) PPACA.--Effective on the date that is 180 days after the date
of the enactment of this Act, the Patient Protection and Affordable
Care Act (Public Law 111-148) is repealed, and the provisions of law
amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act
had not been enacted.
    (b) Health Care-Related Provisions in the Health Care and Education
Reconciliation Act of 2010.--Effective on the date that is 180 days
after the date of the enactment of this Act, title I and subtitle B of
title II of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010
(Public Law 111-152) are repealed, and the provisions of law amended or
repealed by such title or subtitle, respectively, are restored or
revived as if such title and subtitle had not been enacted.

SEC. 2. BUDGETARY EFFECTS.

The budgetary effects of this Act shall not be entered on either
PAYGO scorecard maintained pursuant to section 4(d) of the Statutory
Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2010.

SEC. 3. REPORTING REPLACEMENT LEGISLATION.

The Committee on Education and the Workforce, the Committee on
Energy and Commerce, the Committee on the Judiciary, and the Committee
on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives shall each report to
the House of Representatives legislation proposing changes to existing
law within each committee's jurisdiction with provisions that--
            (1) foster economic growth and private sector job creation
        by eliminating job-killing policies and regulations;
            (2) lower health care premiums through increased
        competition and choice;
            (3) preserve a patient's ability to keep his or her health
        plan if he or she likes it;
            (4) provide people with pre-existing conditions access to
        affordable health coverage;
            (5) reform the medical liability system to reduce
        unnecessary and wasteful health care spending;
            (6) increase the number of insured Americans;
            (7) protect the doctor-patient relationship;
            (8) provide the States greater flexibility to administer
        Medicaid programs while reducing costs under such programs;
            (9) expand incentives to encourage personal responsibility
        for health care coverage and costs;
            (10) prohibit taxpayer funding of abortions and provide
        conscience protections for health care providers;
            (11) eliminate duplicative government programs and wasteful
        spending; or
            (12) do not accelerate the growth of entitlement programs
        or increase the tax burden on Americans.

Passed the House of Representatives February 3, 2015.

Attest:

KAREN L. HAAS,

Clerk.
                                                        Calendar No. 14

114th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 596
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline RetBobbyMI

Once they repeal, then maybe everyone can work together to replace, IF NEEDED.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I agree that the Republicans are not serious about repealing Obamacare. They are just playing games.

We can't repeal until ... this.
We can't repeal until ... that.
We can't repeal unless ... this or that.

It's all smoke and mirrors.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:33:04 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online DB

What they have done is exposed themselves as the liars they are. They have proven to the world they cannot be trusted.

Unfortunately we knew that already. Just another told you so (not you). Obamacare was just a political weapon where they had no actual intention of repealing it. They needed to tweak it around the edges so that they could provide the illusion of repealing it to "fulfill" their promises which were lies. The truth is Obamacare is national medical welfare program that shifts costs to those who were already were paying their way - and the GOP was begging for ownership of it by this incredibly stupid attempt...

Actually securing the border has been similar for decades. Yet Republican voters keep on getting played over and over expecting something different.

Online LMAO

Re: Why didn’t the GOP try to pass last year’s vetoed health-care bill?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 11:33:13 am »

Because they don't have the votes.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, just commenting on the political reality
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online DB

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 11:53:55 am »
Because they don't have the votes.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, just commenting on the political reality

Funny how they had the votes before.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 01:11:51 pm »
The GOP has a PMI (Permanent Minority Intellect).  They are comfortable governing as a backbencher, lobbing grenades that explode harmlessly at the majority in power.

When they take the seat of power, they do not know what to do, and revert to PMI, doing nothing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 01:14:56 pm »
The relatively small number of Republicans who oppose a straight repeal/no replace are not from conservative districts/states.  They're generally taking those positions because that's what their constituents want them to do.

So if the strategy now is to just wait until after the 2018 midterms so they can be replaced, I wouldn't hold my breath.  Heck, there might not be a GOP majority at all
after 2018.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 01:16:15 pm »
Funny how they had the votes before.

They really didn't.  Some of those who voted for repeal before were open about also requiring some replacement.

Offline anubias

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 01:37:06 pm »
Passing the bill that America wanted would have made Trump look good which was never Ryan's intent.  There was a reason Ryan pulled a Pelosi and would not allow Conservatives to help with this bill.  I believe he wanted to pin this travesty of a bill on Trump which would have ruined his presidency.  0care would have become TrumpCare.  The failure of this bill is the best thing that could happen for America and for Trump; although I am unsure of whether the Trump Administration realizes it yet or if they knew from the beginning.  I suspect the former, but there possibly could be somebody in the Trump Admin with a bit of political savvy, although doubtful.

Elect a new speaker that isn't a #NeverTrumper, then repeal 0care.  If they get this done, Trump's presidency will be back on track as will the 2018 election.  Leave Ryan in place to create further damage, then all might as well pack up to go home now.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 09:29:08 pm »
The problem is repeal with no replacement does not return to the pre-Obamacare status quo ante.  Obamacare broke a lot of things about the American health care system -- for instance it destroyed physician owned hospitals -- and caused a lot of decisions by health insurers about where to offer coverage, what kind of coverage to offer and the like, which cannot be instantaneously reversed.  That's the policy reality.  The political reality also includes the fact that some provisions of Obamacare are popular, and some of those (Medicaid expansion and letting young adults stay on their parents policies until age 26) are even actuarially sound.

So long as Obamacare is in place the 'Rats own the devastation it has wrought on health insurance.  Simple repeal or repeal and replacement with something actuarially absurd or wildly unpopular will make the broken American health care system into a replacement for the Great Depression with Trump and Ryan playing the part of Herbert Hoover in 'Rat campaign ads for the next 50 years.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 10:11:16 pm »
Why can't they vote on the same bill that passed in 2015

because the GOP leadership won't let them vote on it now that Obama isn't President

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 10:41:57 pm »
because the GOP leadership won't let them vote on it now that Obama isn't President

They exposed all their previous votes to repeal as cynical political pandering.  Of course they won't pass it now, it may actually make it to law.

Cynical.  The GOP is proving all the worst things the voters at large (both parties and indies) have been saying about them for years.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 11:43:47 pm »
The problem is repeal with no replacement does not return to the pre-Obamacare status quo ante.  Obamacare broke a lot of things about the American health care system -- for instance it destroyed physician owned hospitals -- and caused a lot of decisions by health insurers about where to offer coverage, what kind of coverage to offer and the like, which cannot be instantaneously reversed.  That's the policy reality.  The political reality also includes the fact that some provisions of Obamacare are popular, and some of those (Medicaid expansion and letting young adults stay on their parents policies until age 26) are even actuarially sound.

So long as Obamacare is in place the 'Rats own the devastation it has wrought on health insurance.  Simple repeal or repeal and replacement with something actuarially absurd or wildly unpopular will make the broken American health care system into a replacement for the Great Depression with Trump and Ryan playing the part of Herbert Hoover in 'Rat campaign ads for the next 50 years.
With the number of grandparents raising grand children, how is keeping insurance on them until they are 26 'sound'? Do the math on that. You want 70 year-olds buying the health insurance for 25 year-olds? For all the bitching and grumbling, an honest assessment of baby boomers will be 'the generation that paid for everyone else'.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 12:50:13 am »
With the number of grandparents raising grand children, how is keeping insurance on them until they are 26 'sound'? Do the math on that. You want 70 year-olds buying the health insurance for 25 year-olds? For all the bitching and grumbling, an honest assessment of baby boomers will be 'the generation that paid for everyone else'.

I have to have some disagreement on the baby boomer issue. I'm on the tail end of the baby boomer generation, 1961, and it is the baby boomer generation that brought us around $20 trillion of debt that they are not going to pay for but got nearly all the benefit of. And that is just the federal level. They voted for the politicians that gave them what they wanted.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 01:09:58 am »
I have to have some disagreement on the baby boomer issue. I'm on the tail end of the baby boomer generation, 1961, and it is the baby boomer generation that brought us around $20 trillion of debt that they are not going to pay for but got nearly all the benefit of. And that is just the federal level. They voted for the politicians that gave them what they wanted.
Did they? The productive members of our generation have been voting Republican, at least the ones I know. I haven't gotten what I wanted, with the exception of Ronald Reagan--he is as close as it got. Did the Boomers vote Obama in? That is over half of that debt.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 01:14:37 am »
Did they? The productive members of our generation have been voting Republican, at least the ones I know. I haven't gotten what I wanted, with the exception of Ronald Reagan--he is as close as it got. Did the Boomers vote Obama in? That is over half of that debt.

It was baby boomers they elected including Obama.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 01:39:55 am »
It was baby boomers they elected including Obama.
You expected millennials in office?

I was talking about voters, not candidates.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 01:52:40 am »
You expected millennials in office?

I was talking about voters, not candidates.

We're talking about who spent the $20 trillion, who received it and who is stuck with the bill.

Obama was also at the tail end of the baby boomer generation. Millennials likely helped him get elected but they are an unreliable voting block and often can't be bothered.