Author Topic: White House looks past conservatives on tax reform - to Democrats  (Read 1180 times)

Online corbe

White House looks past conservatives on tax reform - to Democrats

Sun Mar 26, 2017 | 2:52pm EDT

By Lindsay Dunsmuir and Doina Chiacu | WASHINGTON

Fresh off a defeat on U.S. healthcare legislation, the White House warned rebellious conservative lawmakers that they should get behind President Donald Trump's agenda or he may bypass them on future legislative fights, including tax reform.

The threat by White House chief of staff Reince Priebus to build a broad coalition on tax reform that could include moderate Democrats came as the Republican head of the tax-writing committee in the House of Representatives said he hoped to move a tax bill through his panel this spring.

House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady said his committee had been working on tax reform in parallel with the failed healthcare reform push.

"We've never stopped working," Brady told Fox News' "Sunday Morning Futures with Maria Bartiromo." "We will continue to make improvements."

Brady said the committee plans to move on the bill in the spring. He said he wanted the House blueprint to be the basis for Trump's tax reform plan rather than have competing versions from Treasury and the White House.

Both Trump and Priebus have scolded hardline conservatives who rejected legislation backed by the White House to overhaul Obamacare.

Speaking on "Fox News Sunday," Priebus held out the possibility of working with moderate Democrats as well as Republicans to pass other aspects of Trump's agenda, such as his proposed budget, the revamp of the tax code and a renewed effort at healthcare reform.

"If we can come up with a bill that accomplishes the goals of the president with Republicans alone, we'll take it and we'll move forward with it," Priebus said.

But he added: "I think it's more or less a warning shot that we're willing to talk to anyone. We always have been and I think more so now than ever."

In an embarrassment for Trump, who had campaigned for the White House on what he said were his skills as a dealmaker, the healthcare bill was pulled from the floor of the House of Representatives on Friday because it failed to draw enough support from within Trump's own Republican Party.

<..snip..>

Priebus said it was a "real shame" that conservative lawmakers decided not to get behind the healthcare bill.

"And I think the president is disappointed in the number of people he thought were loyal to him that weren't," he said.

Trump has put tax reform at the top of his legislative agenda now that the healthcare bill has failed.

Priebus said Trump was not backing off his view that the tax reform bill needed a border tax. He also said that the measure would include a middle class tax cut that he said might help to attract votes from moderate Democrats.

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer criticized Trump over his handling of the healthcare bill and said Republicans would face roadblocks from conservatives on other issues.

"They're going to repeat the same mistake they made on Trumpcare with tax reform," Schumer told ABC's "This Week."

He urged Trump to go a different path: reject the Freedom Caucus and work with Democrats.

"If he changes, he could have a different presidency," Schumer said. "He's going to have to tell them he can't work with them and we'll certainly look at his proposals. But it's going to be guided on our values."

Republican Representative Mark Meadows, chairman of the Freedom Caucus, said on Sunday he was optimistic on tax reform and that his group could support a plan that is not revenue neutral.

"So, tax reform and lowering taxes, you know, will create and generate more income," he said. "And so we're looking at those, where the fine balance is. But does it have to be fully offset? My personal response is 'no.'"

Another Freedom Caucus congressman, Jim Jordan, rejected fingerpointing over the collapse of the health bill.

"Instead of doing the blame game, let's get to work," he said on "Fox News Sunday."

(Writing by Caren Bohan; Editing by Nick Zieminski)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-taxes-idUSKBN16X0MM

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Silver Pines

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »

By Lindsay Dunsmuir and Doina Chiacu
March 26, 2017

Fresh off a defeat on U.S. healthcare legislation, the White House warned rebellious conservative lawmakers that they should get behind President Donald Trump's agenda or he may bypass them on future legislative fights, including tax reform.

The threat by White House chief of staff Reince Priebus to build a broad coalition on tax reform that could include moderate Democrats came as the Republican head of the tax-writing committee in the House of Representatives said he hoped to move a tax bill through his panel this spring.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-taxes-idUSKBN16X0MM

Silver Pines

Re: White House looks past conservatives on tax reform - to Democrats
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:32:17 pm »
Lol, good job, primary voters.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:33:15 pm »
This will work out well... :whistle:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:34:41 pm »
Bypassing Conservatives to 'work with Democrats' to diminish liberty to impose Statism is a hallmark of the Republican Party.

As we warned back last year, we fully expected Trump to continue that tradition with increased vigor.

Interesting that now it is being done in the form of a hissy-fit tantrum since he did not get to flash "Winner!" upon his endorsement of Trump/RyanCare to replace the name of ObamaCare.

But what we expected nonetheless.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline MOD8

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:37:24 pm »
Topics Merged

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:43:27 pm »
Will Donald Trump become the first president to switch parties in office?

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 09:56:09 pm »
Will Donald Trump become the first president to switch parties in office?

Anything is possible @Cripplecreek but I think we are witnessing the rebirth of some kind of Rockefeller Republicanism, which I was under the impression Goldwater slew that creature.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:00:23 pm »
So...Pres. Trump is giving up on the party under which he ran and slapping the voters and his supporters in the face.  Nice!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 03:35:45 pm »
Hmmm.  Has a sitting president ever lost a primary for his second-term election?
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 03:39:18 pm »
Lol, good job, primary voters.

From the looks of it many of those primary voters will be more than happy to follow Trump over to the other side.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 04:48:41 pm »

Why wouldn't he?  Trump campaigned on raising taxes, saying that those evil capitalist hedge fund managers weren't paying their fair share.  So Trump and Democrats make a perfect fit.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 04:51:10 pm »
This was predictable so I'm not surprised . We are seeing the beginnings of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Part 2.

Remember, "I probably  identify more as a Democrat"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:53:52 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 04:52:54 pm »
Hmmm.  Has a sitting president ever lost a primary for his second-term election?

Franklin Pierce
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 05:12:54 pm »

You just know the democrats would welcome him with open arms.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 05:19:09 pm »
The threat by White House chief of staff Reince Priebus to build a broad coalition on tax reform that could include moderate Democrats....

Moderate Rats don't exist. You're going to be dealing with radical filth because that is all that is left. Ignore the Conservatives at your own peril.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 06:36:55 pm »
if he ends up going along with too many of their ideas, he will be stuck with the predicted failures and the Democrats will have no problems holding him accountable even though they also were on board with them.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

geronl

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 07:01:17 pm »
Franklin Pierce

lol, the one Presidents name that doesn't even ring a bell with me.