Author Topic: Donald Trump’s healthcare debacle is ripped directly from “Arrested Development”  (Read 913 times)

Offline Suppressed

Donald Trump’s healthcare debacle is ripped directly from “Arrested Development”
WRITTEN BY Adam Epstein     3 hours ago
https://qz.com/941271/donald-trumps-healthcare-debacle-is-ripped-directly-from-arrested-development/

If you thought the Republican party’s bumbling efforts to overhaul healthcare in the US seemed familiar, that may be because you saw it play out in uncanny detail on a cult network comedy 14 years ago.

Plenty of TV shows and films foretold the political rise of US president Donald Trump—The Simpsons, Idiocracy, even obscure 1950s Westerns. But no show has predicted his presidential administration as precisely as Arrested Development.

The series, which gained a cult following when it aired for three seasons on Fox in 2003 (before Netflix revived it ten years later), followed the wealthy but astonishingly dysfunctional Bluth family as they cope with the arrest of the family’s patriarch, a corrupt real estate developer (played by Jeffrey Tambor). His smart, competent, relatively stable son (Jason Batemen) takes over the family business, waging an eternal power struggle against his inept, maladjusted family members for control of their dwindling assets.

The ongoing US healthcare debacle looks a lot like one particular episode of Arrested Development, pointed out by Politico reporter Dan Diamond in an epic tweetstorm (below). In the episode, Gob Bluth (Will Arnett) makes a ridiculous promise to build an entire house in two weeks, and then the whole project collapses into chaos.

Of course, with Trump and his Republican party’s attempt to build a replacement for Obamacare, the healthcare and wellbeing of millions of Americans is actually at stake—it’s not just a fictional real estate deal. Drafted by House speaker Paul Ryan, the Republicans’ healthcare bill was almost universally derided, including by some GOP congressmen. According to the US Congressional Budget Office, the bill would take healthcare away from 24 million Americans. Trump threw his support behind the plan and tried to strong-arm Congress into passing it, but it’s unclear if it will even have enough votes to get by the House of Representatives. The House is expected to vote on the bill today.

Diamond’s musings on the comparison make for a hilarious, if unsettling, Twitter thread for the ages:

Since I need to excerpt and I don't know how to post Tweets, please click to see them here: https://qz.com/941271/donald-trumps-healthcare-debacle-is-ripped-directly-from-arrested-development/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

@Freya   Thanks for pointing out this story to post.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline endicom

The debacle is in the Republican congress not being prepared to do a damned thing. All Trump is doing is forcing them to pit or get off the shot.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
To recap episode

· GOB vows to build house, fast
· GOB doesn’t have a plan
· They instead make a *fake* house
· It falls apart—literally

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Its not the first time I've ended up thinking of Arrested Development and Donald Trump in the same thought.

Offline Suppressed

Its not the first time I've ended up thinking of Arrested Development and Donald Trump in the same thought.

I'd put  ****drummer ... but it's too true.
+++++++++

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Suppressed  thank you for posting.

Arrested Development is one of my all time favorite shows.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump : George bluth

Bannon : gob bluth

kellyanne Conway : Lindsay bluth

Sean spicer : Michael bluth

Reince priebus : Tobias funke

Offline goodwithagun

Is the banana stand social security?