Author Topic: Bolling: ObamaCare failure 'best thing' for GOP  (Read 1157 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bolling: ObamaCare failure 'best thing' for GOP
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:00:21 pm »
Bolling: ObamaCare failure 'best thing' for GOP
By Joe Concha - 03/24/17 05:50 PM EDT

Fox's Eric Bolling on Friday said the best thing that could have happened for Republicans was the decision to pull their ObamaCare repeal bill from a scheduled vote.

Bolling, who was reportedly in talks to with the Trump transition team to join the administration as an economic adviser last November, said on “The Five” that the Republican health care bill would have been a catastrophe in the 2018 midterm elections.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/325721-bolling-obamacare-failure-best-thing-for-gop
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

Re: Bolling: ObamaCare failure 'best thing' for GOP
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:29:10 pm »
Ryan is now saying that Obamacare is the law of the land until it can be replaced. Just what I said the Pubs would do if not pushed to do something.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:38:41 pm »
Ryan is now saying that Obamacare is the law of the land until it can be replaced. Just what I said the Pubs would do if not pushed to do something.

Well, it is already the law of the land, so that's an unremarkable statement.  The "until it can be replaced" part is encouraging, as it suggests (hopefully) that the R's haven't given up on it.

The Pubs were pushed to do something, and they did -- and they failed, of course, because they tried to create a better piece of omnibus legislation.

The alternative is to try to do it piecemeal: pick apart the worst aspects of Obamacare and replace them a little at a time.  Doing it that way allows for adjustments, which this bill did not; and also doing it in pieces tends to defuse the hyperbole machine that the Democrats use to oppose any attempts at reform.

The strategy would be, "look -- this part just doesn't work.  Any reasonable person can see that.  So let's do X instead," where X can include getting rid of certain onerous things such as excessive regulatory burdens.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 10:47:27 pm »
To me this is just Ryan telegraphing to the faithful that it will not be repealed, but replaced. Replacing it piecemeal is still not repealing it. Just doing away with the mandate and fine for breathing would be a good start and might pass. Repeal it a bit at a time if necessary, but kill it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:51:17 pm »
The alternative is to try to do it piecemeal: pick apart the worst aspects of Obamacare and replace them a little at a time.

If not the worst parts of Obamacare then at least those parts that enough Republicans will vote for repealing. You have to start somewhere and you have to start.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:54:44 pm »
To me this is just Ryan telegraphing to the faithful that it will not be repealed, but replaced. Replacing it piecemeal is still not repealing it. Just doing away with the mandate and fine for breathing would be a good start and might pass. Repeal it a bit at a time if necessary, but kill it.

Well, maybe it is just (and only) a replacement strategy.  But with the proper up-front effort even "replacement" can result in killing some parts of it, and that is progress. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:54:59 pm »

If not the worst parts of Obamacare then at least those parts that enough Republicans will vote for repealing. You have to start somewhere and you have to start.

Yup.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:00:47 pm »

The two obvious things to repeal are the breath "tax" (penalty) and the mandate.
They go hand in hand, and they are unpopular among the constituents.  Remove those, and the economics will collapse, and removing the rest should be easier.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:01:03 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:02:08 pm »
Well, maybe it is just (and only) a replacement strategy.  But with the proper up-front effort even "replacement" can result in killing some parts of it, and that is progress.
Replace the words after "An act" with "  ". Works for me!

C S Lewis

Offline r9etb

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 11:08:53 pm »
The two obvious things to repeal are the breath "tax" (penalty) and the mandate.
They go hand in hand, and they are unpopular among the constituents.  Remove those, and the economics will collapse, and removing the rest should be easier.

Right.  And also ease some of the more burdensome regulatory requirements -- the ones that resulted in the cancellation of so many millions of policies under Obamacare.  If the market can be opened up in terms of what insurance plans are allowed to offer, then that will ease a lot of the difficulties as well.

The compromise part is still going to involve figuring out what to do with the people who fall through the cracks, though -- for example, coverage for pre-existing conditions, which was one of those places where the Republicans got absolutely waxed on the failed plan.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:09:23 pm by r9etb »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 11:17:04 pm »
Right.  And also ease some of the more burdensome regulatory requirements -- the ones that resulted in the cancellation of so many millions of policies under Obamacare.  If the market can be opened up in terms of what insurance plans are allowed to offer, then that will ease a lot of the difficulties as well.
Indeed, and without the mandates, there is no standard for what constitutes "qualifying" health insurance for the purpose of covering the mandate. Insurers will be free to offer plans with fewer coverage payouts that may be more palatable.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:25:02 pm »

The compromise part is still going to involve figuring out what to do with the people who fall through the cracks, though -- for example, coverage for pre-existing conditions, which was one of those places where the Republicans got absolutely waxed on the failed plan.
In this state there is coverage for preexisting conditions. It isn't cheap, there are restrictions, but it is there. http://www.chand.org/

There are always people who fall through cracks. That seems to be in my karma or whatever, and I hate filling out forms, because invariably I run across something that cannot be adequately answered with a checkbox. What can be done is allow the marketplace to come up with programs which will cover the vast majority of people, and then address the cracks afterward. The more people the market can cover, the more money it will make.
Before, we were picking up the tab for people who just couldn't pay, one way or another (either in higher medical bills to keep hospitals solvent, charities, Medicaid, whatever).
There is a cost layer that goes into providing insurance for the same people--insurance companies want their bottom line to be in the black, and will charge extra to make sure it is so (besides the fact that profits keep stockholders happy). Paying the bill would be just paying the bill, without the added costs of processing insurance payments and billing the patient for the balance.

IOW, it would have been cheaper to just pick up the tab rather than heavily subsidize insurance plans, especially because the insurance has high deductibles. Obviously, if that was done for anyone, soon it would happen for everyone. Why pay for your own if the Government will pay anyway? So there must be limitations imposed.
But overall, I think the markets will find a way to at least provide limited (catastrophic) coverage to many people who are falling through cracks now, without subsidies, without the expense, and with better actuarial calculations which optimize a wider variety of policies for the individual.

C S Lewis

Offline r9etb

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 11:29:47 pm »
Indeed, and without the mandates, there is no standard for what constitutes "qualifying" health insurance for the purpose of covering the mandate. Insurers will be free to offer plans with fewer coverage payouts that may be more palatable.

Right.  The primary conceit of Obamacare was that it relied on a centralized bureaucracy to deal on a global scale, with what ought to be left to the economic choices between insurance companies, employers, and individuals.

The Democrats got Obamacare by pointing out that there are some people for whom this model just doesn't work, for various reasons.  This is where the Republicans will have to find a compromise if they want to get anything meaningful done.  If there's any place for a government response, it should be limited to providing assistance to this demographic and to find ways to do so with a minimum of bureaucratic overhead. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:30:17 pm by r9etb »

Offline endicom

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 11:38:40 pm »

There are things that Price can do and possibly still things that Trump can do in the nature of repeal. Was it part of the strategy to have a bill that would do some good in itself while freeing Price and, possibly, Trump to do more? I hope to hell that they've worked on such a comprehensive plan.

As to the details, I dunno. I just know that it's been written that Price can do some things on his own.