Author Topic: Trump Seeks Sharp Increases In Military Spending, "Drastic Cuts" To State Department, EPA  (Read 8749 times)

Offline LonestarDream

Yep .  have seen this scenario all the time.  Sequestration probably was not most efficient way to allocate eventual funding to the military.

Which is why this whinging about supposedly spending too  much is nonsense.

It's a vicious cycle we've been in since the Carter years...it goes like this:

Lib President gets elected...guts the military...Lib gets voted out or is replaced by Republican President who...after either 4 or 8 years...sees the sorry shape the military is in...realizes what has to be done and spends the $$$ necessary to rebuild us to a point where we can meet our two war op plan....democrats spend mid terms and re-election cycle bashing Republicans and the Republican President for out of control military spending.

Wash...rinse...repeat.

Just once when these Lib Congress critters start up with this crap...I'd like to see someone like the SecDef...Chairman of the House or Senate defense committee or even better the President...respond and point out exactly why and who is the reason for the uptick in defense spending.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Yep .  have seen this scenario all the time.  Sequestration probably was not most efficient way to allocate eventual funding to the military.

The only ones that ended up having to adhere to sequestration was the military.  Sequestration...combined with 9 years of continuing resolutions have combined to render us barely able to defend our own borders.

And it was by purposeful design.

Then Odumbo did us really dirty and told the DoD that if they wanted to increase military spending...it had to be tied dollar for dollar to welfare spending increases.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

It's one piece to the puzzle.

It's a pretty big damn piece.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It's a pretty big damn piece.

You have to have the actual diplomats there as well...they actually need to work in conjunction with each other.

Soldiers make crappy diplomats and diplomats make crappy soldiers.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline LonestarDream

Offline Norm Lenhart

he fixed the military? since yesterday?

Tell me Captain Pedantic, can you grasp a thinner straw? Has he shut down all the embassies wholesale since...ever? Did he convert the process into a payola scheme? No? Then why are you singling out the military here?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:32:25 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline LonestarDream

Tell me Captain Pedantic, can you grasp a thinner straw? Has he shut down all the embassies wholesale since...ever? Did he convert the process into a payola scheme? No? Then why are you singling out the military here?

The psychology from some members dismay me.  We need to be calling congress to buck up Trump Cruz and Lee.    We have one, maybe two years to lock in structural changes to restore the military and economy.   

Offline Norm Lenhart

The psychology from some members dismay me.  We need to be calling congress to buck up Trump Cruz and Lee.    We have one, maybe two years to lock in structural changes to restore the military and economy.
We needed to elect people that would listen. Too late now. Since supposed 'conservatives' always knew better and empowered liberals and RINOs, don't think for a moment this GOP will do anything but defend the status quo.

All the psuedocon voters fault. Every bit of it.

Offline LonestarDream

We needed to elect people that would listen. Too late now. Since supposed 'conservatives' always knew better and empowered liberals and RINOs, don't think for a moment this GOP will do anything but defend the status quo.

All the psuedocon voters fault. Every bit of it.

Reagan got tax cuts through Tip O'neals congress in 1980.  With a huge majority in the House AND Senate--- Just seems like we have an extraordinary historical opportunity over the next four years.

And especially this year.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Reagan got tax cuts through Tip O'neals congress in 1980.  With a huge majority in the House AND Senate--- Just seems like we have an extraordinary historical opportunity over the next four years.

Reagan wasn't in office in 1980.

And he never had a HUGE majority oin the House or Senate.

Congress was divided 6 of the 8 years Reagan served.  His first two years IIRC Congress was controlled completely by the Dems.

The Kemp-Roth tax cuts passed in August 1981 were a compromise and not as deep as Reagan wanted.  Meanwhile the Dems reniged on their agreement to cut three dollars in spending for ever dollar raised in taxes.  Tip O'Neill flat out lied to Reagan on this.

The second part of this was the tax reform act of 1986 that was passed half way through his second term.

Offline Norm Lenhart

And especially this year.
  Reagan didn't have all but a handful of his own party in a friendly working relationship with Tip. Mitch and Ryan consistently do everything in their power to keep Obamacare, block tax reform and satisfy the desires of the left.

Doesn't matter how huge the majority is when they bat for the other team.

Offline LonestarDream

The Kemp-Roth tax cuts passed in August 1981 ...

Right.  With a dem congress.  Thanks for making my point.

Reagan wasn't in office in 1980.

And he never had a HUGE majority oin the House or Senate.

Congress was divided 6 of the 8 years Reagan served.  His first two years IIRC Congress was controlled completely by the Dems.

The Kemp-Roth tax cuts passed in August 1981 were a compromise and not as deep as Reagan wanted.  Meanwhile the Dems reniged on their agreement to cut three dollars in spending for ever dollar raised in taxes.  Tip O'Neill flat out lied to Reagan on this.

The second part of this was the tax reform act of 1986 that was passed half way through his second term.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The Kemp-Roth tax cuts passed in August 1981 ...

Right.  With a dem congress.  Thanks for making my point.

Ummm yeah ok.  Lets review.  You said:

Reagan got tax cuts through Tip O'neals congress in 1980.  With a huge majority in the House AND Senate

I did nothing to "prove your point"...only showed your inaccuracies in facts and history.

Offline LonestarDream

Seemed like there were a lot of Rhino's back around 80 , 81.  Like Reagan, Trump can use Twitter and the bully pulpit to bring people around.  Especially the rallies.  Especially in the many Senate districts that the dems have to defend.

Reagan didn't have all but a handful of his own party in a friendly working relationship with Tip. Mitch and Ryan consistently do everything in their power to keep Obamacare, block tax reform and satisfy the desires of the left.

Doesn't matter how huge the majority is when they bat for the other team.

Offline LonestarDream

Not at all .  You nit pick over immaterial minutiae.  Hopefully, Trump can use his state of the union speech tomorrow the same way Reagan did.

Once again, we need to all seize this opportunity and call our congressmen.

Ummm yeah ok.  Lets review.  You said:

I did nothing to "prove your point"...only showed your inaccuracies in facts and history.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It's one piece to the puzzle.
@dfwgator I recall a sign in the Vice Principal's office in High School:

Diplomacy is the art of telling some son of a bitch to go to Hell in such a manner that he is looking forward to the trip.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LonestarDream

I think 'soft power' can play a role.  It is just that the ratio of hard power to soft power needs to go up.

@dfwgator I recall a sign in the Vice Principal's office in High School:

Offline LonestarDream

Since when is the B-1 fleet grounded?  I see them flying here EVERYDAY out my window.  Not sure where you got your info.
@txradioguy

I hear anecdote about readiness.    Perhaps a bit of hyperbole. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Since when is the B-1 fleet grounded?  I see them flying here EVERYDAY out my window.  Not sure where you got your info.
@txradioguy

It was in either a Military Times or Defense News article I read last week. I'll try to find it again.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I think 'soft power' can play a role.  It is just that the ratio of hard power to soft power needs to go up.
No argument, here. First off, naval power is likely to be sorely tested if the Chinese keep up with their South China Sea expansion. Either we have what it takes to stand up to this now, or we'd best better have it before long or there won't be much standing up to it. Bad enough the Somali pirates haven't been eliminated, but turning the western Pacific into a toll road isn't going to work very well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LonestarDream

No argument, here. First off, naval power is likely to be sorely tested if the Chinese keep up with their South China Sea expansion. Either we have what it takes to stand up to this now, or we'd best better have it before long or there won't be much standing up to it. Bad enough the Somali pirates haven't been eliminated, but turning the western Pacific into a toll road isn't going to work very well.

Amen

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

From what I reading we don't have the capability to put up a serious challenge to the Chinese Navy right now.

CNO says they need money to repair the ships in drydock before they start looking at expanding g the fleet. We've got ships that have had serious maintenance put off for two years if not longer.

LOL we may have to hire those Somali Pirates to help us out.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Embassies will only be used to secure contracts for Trump companies anyway

I have been informed by reliable sources that your cat is ratting you out to the Galactic Overlords.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
As part of his proposed budget, President Trump will instruct federal agencies on Monday to assemble a spending plan for the coming fiscal year that includes sharp increases in Defense Department spending and "drastic cuts" to domestic agencies such as the State Department, the EPA and other non-defense programs, so that he can keep his promise to leave Social Security and Medicare alone, according to four senior administration officials cited by the NYT.

Normally I would have very mixed thoughts about this. IMHO,we really don't need to expand the military budget. What we need to do is target the MoFo's that are the thinkers and financers of Islam,and kill them. How much can that cost?

As for the US State Dept,that might be an excellent place to start with arrests to be followed with public hangings.

Then I remembered this is from the NYT,so no more than 10 percent of it is real anyway.

The NYT adds that social safety net programs, aside from the big entitlement programs for retirees, would also be hit hard.

EEEK! EEEEEK! DE SKIES BEES AFALL-IN,THE SKIES BEES AFALL-IN,N ISE SO SCARED,N SHIT!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Do not post that crap here.

- Mach
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:45:52 pm by Machiavelli »