Author Topic: Survey: Historians rank Obama 12th best president  (Read 10365 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Survey: Historians rank Obama 12th best president
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 03:40:27 pm »

The Civil War was not primarily about slavery. It was about the right of States vs. the Federal.

Thank you!  If Lincoln had told the Union Army that they were fighting to end slavery they would have all gone home instantly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 04:12:57 pm »
What is their definition of "best"?

I guess since he effectively seized a further 1/12th of the national GDP through unprecedented individual mandates he was pretty effective, but I see that as a negative.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 04:45:27 pm »
I was expecting to see the joke - thank you to those who didn't disappoint.  :beer:

As far as the actual list goes - any list which places Jimmy Carter so high is the result of too much beer and bullshit.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 05:22:49 pm »
12th best at what?
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 05:30:56 pm »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 08:21:32 pm »
LBJ 10th? That must really be pushing it.
How Jimmy Carter came in ahead of anyone but Barrack Obama is beyond me, but at number 26? It's definitely composed by a bunch of people with a different worldview from mine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 08:30:23 pm »
So, you would prefer a president who allowed Slavery?

Lincoln was the best president, it's not his fault if some people defended a modern day evil.
Considering George Washington, for all practical purposes declined to become a Monarch and returned to Mount Vernon after his Presidency, I would definitely place him above Lincoln. That this list has Obama before James Madison, either Adams, and others shows its bias.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RedHead

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 10:37:16 pm »

The Civil War was not primarily about slavery. It was about the right of States vs. the Federal.

States right to do what?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 10:39:28 pm »
States right to do what?

Whatever the hell they wanted unless it was specifically prohibited by the Constitution!

And the 9th and 10th amendments affirm their right to do just that!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:51:11 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RedHead

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 12:17:02 pm »
Whatever the hell they wanted unless it was specifically prohibited by the Constitution!

And the 9th and 10th amendments affirm their right to do just that!

And other than a threat to the expansion of slavery what right did they see as threatened?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 01:08:50 pm »
And other than a threat to the expansion of slavery what right did they see as threatened?
The right to have their votes counted, for one. A guy who didn't even qualify for the ballot in most of what became the Confederacy was foisted upon them by the rest of the country. THAT was the last straw. The fight over slavery had been going on for at least a decade, if not more. Yet it was only after the 1860 election that the South had enough and walked out.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 01:55:56 pm »
The right to have their votes counted, for one. A guy who didn't even qualify for the ballot in most of what became the Confederacy was foisted upon them by the rest of the country. THAT was the last straw. The fight over slavery had been going on for at least a decade, if not more. Yet it was only after the 1860 election that the South had enough and walked out.
Yep'

Nominees    Electoral Vote    Popular Vote
     Presidential    Vice Presidential
    Republican    winner    Abraham Lincoln    Hannibal Hamlin    180    59.4%    1,865,908    39.9%
    Southern Democratic         John Breckenridge    Joseph Lane    72    23.8%    848,019    18.1%
    Constitutional Union         John Bell    Edward Everett    39    12.9%    590,901     12.6%
    Democratic         Stephen Douglas    Herschel Johnson    12    4.0%    1,380,202    29.5%
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/showelection.php?year=1860

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »

You are absolutely right!

"The war between the North and the South is a tariff war. The war is further, not for any principle, does not touch the question of slavery, and in fact turns on the Northern lust for sovereignty."

Karl Marx, 1861

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 04:26:02 pm »

"The war between the North and the South is a tariff war. The war is further, not for any principle, does not touch the question of slavery, and in fact turns on the Northern lust for sovereignty."

Karl Marx, 1861
My most favoritest and trusted historian... :whistle:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 04:30:21 pm »

Karl Marx, 1861
Economics are at the bottom of every war, somewhere.

The South was becoming more independent (Google Tredegar Iron Works), and less reliant on the North. The days of being exploited for raw materials vs finished goods were conceivably coming to an end, and with industrialization, the South would have been selling cloth, not bales of cotton. There would go huge profits for middlemen and manufacturers up north.  With secession, the North would have had to compete on the same market as any other country for the goods.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 06:28:44 pm »
Economics are at the bottom of every war, somewhere.

The South was becoming more independent (Google Tredegar Iron Works), and less reliant on the North. The days of being exploited for raw materials vs finished goods were conceivably coming to an end, and with industrialization, the South would have been selling cloth, not bales of cotton. There would go huge profits for middlemen and manufacturers up north.  With secession, the North would have had to compete on the same market as any other country for the goods.

There ya go!  In a nutshell.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 06:30:43 pm »
My most favoritest and trusted historian... :whistle:

He was alive at the time and had MANY of his followers on Lincoln's team!  Some of which he never stopped corresponding with until his death.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2017, 06:43:29 pm »
He was alive at the time and had MANY of his followers on Lincoln's team!  Some of which he never stopped corresponding with until his death.

He was also very well read.

He was just wrong about society. Wrong about people, too.  :tongue2:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2017, 06:48:52 pm »
So, you would prefer a president who allowed Slavery?

Lincoln did, indeed, invade a separate sovereign nation in part to fight slavery.  You imply that not doing so would be "allowing" slavery.

So, if Trump doesn't invade sovereign nations that currently have slavery, you'd say "Trump allowed slavery"?

Or are you going to be a hypocrite?   :pondering:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 06:49:32 pm »
Why did a thread about a stupid 'historians' survey turn into fighting the Civil War again?

Current 'historians' are all biased and ignorant leftists. 

Why does their opinion matter?  Obama was a horrific President.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 06:50:46 pm »
He was also very well read.

He was just wrong about society. Wrong about people, too.  :tongue2:

Indeed! The problem was that he read all the wrong stuff in his youth and became a devotee of Jean-Jacques Rousseau who was BTW, quite insane.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »
Why did a thread about a stupid 'historians' survey turn into fighting the Civil War again?

Lincoln. He was one of the best or worst depending on where you're from or how you view history.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:49 pm »

It's Rule 3 of the Fora Guide: Every thread shall turn into an argument about the Civil War, the correct way to hang toilet paper, or a recipe thread.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2017, 06:53:27 pm »
It's Rule 3 of the Fora Guide: Every thread shall turn into an argument about the Civil War, the correct way to hang toilet paper, or a recipe thread.
Overshot, and you can't use too much garlic... :silly:

Just getting in the other two. :tongue2:

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2017, 06:53:31 pm »

Truth @musiclady.  This thread is about TRUTH!  As are all threads in so far as I'm concerned!

It is a LOT of work correcting 150 years worth of government propaganda!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:56:47 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien