Author Topic: MICHAEL FLYNN RESIGNS  (Read 19520 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: MICHAEL FLYNN RESIGNS
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2017, 04:04:50 pm »
Flynn was a civvie at the time. A transition team has exactly zero legal power.  Nat Security Advisor is not a post that has any authority to treat with foreign nations in any way shape or form, even officially. Any discussion of sanctions, beyond listening to the Russian Ambassador and not replying would have been prohibited - and Flynn KNOWS that. He's been in the exact same circumstances before, albeit with a different government.
Then he did not tell the VP the extent of the discussion - his job, regardless of what was discussed.

While I appreciate it opens the door to further attacks by the left - Flynn resigning was the correct thing to do. Sometimes doing the right thing makes just as much a mess as doing the wrong thing.

@EC

I completely agree with what you just said! Every word of it. The fact is that it is very much in line with what our current SCOTUS nominee said during his remarks at the nomination ceremony about judges who like all of their rulings.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jpsb

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2017, 04:09:25 pm »
Flynn was a civvie at the time. A transition team has exactly zero legal power.  Nat Security Advisor is not a post that has any authority to treat with foreign nations in any way shape or form, even officially. Any discussion of sanctions, beyond listening to the Russian Ambassador and not replying would have been prohibited - and Flynn KNOWS that. He's been in the exact same circumstances before, albeit with a different government.
Then he did not tell the VP the extent of the discussion - his job, regardless of what was discussed.

While I appreciate it opens the door to further attacks by the left - Flynn resigning was the correct thing to do. Sometimes doing the right thing makes just as much a mess as doing the wrong thing.

Well if heads are going to roll for the slightest of mistakes then his administration will not last very long, the globalist uniparty will be back in charge and the United States as we know it will be thrown on the ash heap of history. Just like the USSR. 

I know that is what all the Marxist Democrats, the Globalist neocons and NeverTrumpers are rooting for but I would kinda like to keep the USA the USA.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2017, 04:14:01 pm »
I'd like to know who leaked the call to Sally Yates at the Justice Department.

President Donald Trump fired acting Attorney General Sally Yates in January after she refused to defend his immigration order and touched off a major drama in the opening days of his presidency.

"The acting Attorney General, Sally Yates, has betrayed the Department of Justice by refusing to enforce a legal order designed to protect the citizens of the United States," White House press secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement.

But the former Justice Department official re-entered the news cycle Monday after a White House official confirmed that Yates warned the Trump administration last month that former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn misled administration officials regarding his communications with Russia before entering the White House.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/30/politics/who-is-sally-yates/index.html

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2017, 04:16:55 pm »
I'd like to know who leaked the call to Sally Yates at the Justice Department.

THAT is, or should be, a priority for this administration. Too many damned "anonymous sources" running around flapping their gums.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2017, 04:18:06 pm »

I more or less disagree with that.  The First Amendment is the authority for  anyone to express their opinion on anything - no statutory authorization is required.  And yes, Flynn was a civilian.  So was Trump.  Yet, it would be perfectly legal if Trump said -- either during the campaign or after the election -- "if elected, I intend to negotiate the following deal with Russia...."  So what's the difference if that message is conveyed publicly or privately, or directly by Trump himself or indirectly by a designated subordinate?

It is technically a violation of the Logan Act for anyone not in the government to "negotiate" with a foreign government, but nobody has been prosecuted under the Logan Act in the more than 200 years of its existence even though there have been many violations, and for very good reason.  Just for starters, it is likely unconstitutional.  And yes, neither Flynn, Trump, nor even a run of the mill civilian has legal authority to enter into binding agreements with a foreign government.  But that's not what he did.  There was no legal agreement reached on anything precisely because Flynn didn't have any authority to enter into such agreements.  You don't need statutory authority simply to talk.

I really don't have a problem -- at all -- with an incoming senior security official having preliminary discussions with foreign counterparts prior to taking office, including laying out the groundwork for a future agreement.  I don't see the harm.

That's where I think he made a significant error.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:21:25 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2017, 04:21:33 pm »
I more or less disagree with that.  The First Amendment is the authority for  anyone to express their opinion on anything - no statutory authorization is required.

It is technically a violation of the Logan Act for anyone not in the government to "negotiate" with a foreign government, but nobody has been prosecuted under the Logan Act in the more than 200 years of its existence even though there have been many violations, and for very good reason.  Just for starters, it is likely unconstitutional.  And yes, neither Flynn, Trump, nor even a run of the mill civilian has legal authority to enter into binding agreements with a foreign government.  But that's not what he did.  There was no legal agreement reached on anything precisely because Flynn didn't have any authority to enter into such agreements.

I really don't have a problem -- at all -- with an incoming senior security official having preliminary discussions with foreign counterparts prior to taking office.  Frankly, I don't see the harm.  A President-elect is perfectly entitled to say whatever he wants publicly about foreign policy between the election and inauguration, and if he is permitted to do that, so to should his underlings.

Totally agree!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2017, 04:24:01 pm »

I don't disagree with you on your assessment of what he did. He should have been upfront about it, period.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2017, 04:25:04 pm »
He is good patriotic man and you are the fool and moron.  You all disgust me.  I am done with you and your miserable ilk.

Another day, another threat to leave TBR if it's not what one wants it to be.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2017, 04:26:14 pm »
@Bigun

@EC

I completely agree with what you just said! Every word of it. The fact is that it is very much in line with what our current SCOTUS nominee said during his remarks at the nomination ceremony about judges who like all of their rulings.

Totally agree!

You just confused the hell out of me with that.  First, you "completely agreed with "every word" of what @EC said, then "totally agreed" with me disagreeing with @EC .

I mean, it's nice that you're so agreeable, but I'm confused as hell!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:27:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2017, 04:26:28 pm »
Another day, another threat to leave TBR if it's not what one wants it to be.

He should go sign up with  FR, I hear JimRob is getting low on funds.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2017, 04:27:35 pm »

You are relying on the news media to tell you what really happened?  I have no such confidence anymore.  I want to hear it straight out of the horse's mouth - with my own ears and eyes - that's how little confidence I have in ANYTHING the media tells me now. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »
Can someone tell me just what exactly Flynn did wrong? It seems to me he his a victim of fake news. I am disappointed that Trump canned him over fake news. There must be something that I am missing.

From the link that EC posted:

This last point is critical.  The entire "scandal" is based on innuendo.  Flynn tripped over his own feet by misinforming Vice President Pence on the nature of his call and allowing the veep to issue a too sweeping denial of any discussion.  If Flynn had said in his conversation with the Russian ambassador that we will discuss the sanctions after Trump takes office, he might well have told Pence that they did not discuss the sanctions.  And the CIA leakers could have used the appearance of the word "sanctions" in their transcript to brand Pence a liar.  We don't know, and for some reason, nobody is gaining access to the actual transcripts so that we may see the content.  Perhaps the congressional investigations to come will gain access.  But Flynn is now gone, and media memes have been firmly planted in the public mind.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2017, 04:29:12 pm »
You are relying on the news media to tell you what really happened?  I have no such confidence anymore.  I want to hear it straight out of the horse's mouth - with my own ears and eyes - that's how little confidence I have in ANYTHING the media tells me now.

Flynn admitted in his own resignation letter that he gave the VP inaccurate information about the content of his conversations with the Russians, and nobody -- including Flynn -- is disputing that the resignation letter is authentic.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:30:24 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2017, 04:31:49 pm »
And now Roy Blunt is calling for widespread investigations into Russian Ties with Trump.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2017, 04:31:52 pm »
@Bigun

You just confused the hell out of me with that.  First, you "completely agreed with "every word" of what @EC said, then "totally agreed" with me disagreeing with @EC .

I mean, it's nice that you're so agreeable, but I'm confused as hell!

We all seem to agree that the problem here was with the lying and not the act itself. 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2017, 04:33:30 pm »

He should go sign up with  FR, I hear JimRob is getting low on funds.

No worries...Freepathon will be completed within a few days (+/-) of March 10th. That's how the others have gone for the past year. JimRob's a big fan of accrual accounting. He's got a good thing going...no revenues, just gifts, no taxable income.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »
Flynn admitted in his own resignation letter that he gave the VP inaccurate information about the content of his conversations with the Russians, and nobody -- including Flynn -- is disputing that the resignation letter is authentic.

One thing to give inaccurate info - another to lie.  One is premeditated, and the other could be a case of semantics, or a faulty memory.  Flynn's resignation letter could be that of a patriotic man that is taking the bullet for his army. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2017, 04:40:57 pm »
And now Roy Blunt is calling for widespread investigations into Russian Ties with Trump.

So, Dems call for investigations into Russian ties with Trump because they think he's soft on them (therefore they helped him win), and Blunt thinks there should be investigations because somebody working for Trump may have threatened to give them the back of the hand?  Remember the day when Dems were soft on the Soviets and Reps were firm? 

I'm so confused.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »
This is a dangerous game, placing the United States in a dangerous position. Y'all need to know this.

While everyone melts down over Flynn, I believe there’s a much BIGGER PLOT in the works to…

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/everyone-melts-flynn-believe-theres-much-bigger-plot-works

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2017, 04:44:40 pm »
One thing to give inaccurate info - another to lie.  One is premeditated, and the other could be a case of semantics, or a faulty memory.  Flynn's resignation letter could be that of a patriotic man that is taking the bullet for his army.

I believe the answer will be found during the investigations to come.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2017, 04:47:30 pm »
So, Dems call for investigations into Russian ties with Trump because they think he's soft on them (therefore they helped him win), and Blunt thinks there should be investigations because somebody working for Trump may have threatened to give them the back of the hand?  Remember the day when Dems were soft on the Soviets and Reps were firm? 

I'm so confused.

Let me see if I can help you with that. 

It's not just one side of the isle that wants to destroy Trump inside the beltway!  They like the swamp just like it is and do not wish it to be drained!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2017, 04:48:18 pm »
The only thing that matters is if they're sharp, and know what they're talking about.

I agree with this. Civilian, military doesn't matter for this job.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jpsb

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2017, 04:48:28 pm »

@alicewonders

He was canned for a very minor offense at best. As I've said before if this administration is going to fire senior officials for the slightest of reasons to placate the "media" then this administration is functionally finished. I would not work for a boss that did not have my back and expected me to make every call 100% correct.

Trump better get a handle on things and quickly. STOP FALLING FOR FAKE NEWS, START DEFENDING YOUR TOP PEOPLE.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:50:22 pm by jpsb »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2017, 04:51:00 pm »
One thing to give inaccurate info - another to lie. 

If he was asked directly about discussing sanctions, Flynn could have just as easily said "I honestly do not remember" instead of "no".

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2017, 04:53:08 pm »
@alicewonders

He was canned for a very minor offense at best. As I've said before if this administration is going to fire senior officials for the slightest of reasons to placate the "media" then this administration is functionally finished. I would not work for a boss that did not have my back and expected me to make every call 100% correct.

Trump better get a handle on things and quickly. STOP FALLING FOR FAKE NEWS, START DEFENDING YOUR TOP PEOPLE.

THIS!