Author Topic: Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch calls Trump's tweets 'disheartening'  (Read 11962 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Washington (CNN)Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch told a US senator Wednesday that President Donald Trump's tweets about the judiciary are "demoralizing" and "disheartening."
In a meeting with Connecticut Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal, Gorsuch, who's largely been silent since Trump nominated him last week, took exception to Trump calling a federal judge in Seattle a "so-called judge" after blocking the President's travel ban.
"He said very specifically that they were demoralizing and disheartening and he characterized them very specifically that way," Blumenthal said of Gorsuch. "I said they were more than disheartening and I said to him that he has an obligation to make his views clear to the American people, so they understand how abhorrent or unacceptable President Trump's attacks on the judiciary are."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/politics/gorsuch-trump-tweets/index.html

From what I'm seeing on twitter the white House press secretary has confirmed this already.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch calls Trump's tweets 'disheartening'
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:18:58 pm »
Well if this is the way this dude feels about it, he can certainly pull his name from nomination, otherwise he can sit the hell down and shut up.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:19:18 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:35 pm »
Washington (CNN)Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch told a US senator Wednesday that President Donald Trump's tweets about the judiciary are "demoralizing" and "disheartening."
In a meeting with Connecticut Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal, Gorsuch, who's largely been silent since Trump nominated him last week, took exception to Trump calling a federal judge in Seattle a "so-called judge" after blocking the President's travel ban.
"He said very specifically that they were demoralizing and disheartening and he characterized them very specifically that way," Blumenthal said of Gorsuch. "I said they were more than disheartening and I said to him that he has an obligation to make his views clear to the American people, so they understand how abhorrent or unacceptable President Trump's attacks on the judiciary are."

From what I'm seeing on twitter the white House press secretary has confirmed this already.

I don't want to bash Trump any more than I have but...

At a certain point Trump needs to stop being Trump or at least be Trump in substance but not in style. Pursue the wall, MAGA, all the rest of it, but stylistically, become a boring old regular politician. Filter it all through the proper PR and such.

I know people will reply saying it's great with Trump tweeting, but if Trump's own guy is saying this, and the WH is confirming... I think this is more than just me Trump bashing isn't it? Trump can carry his message direct to the people without coming off as a jackass can't he? It's not either or right?

Anyone else want to comment without calling me a leftist?

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:22:22 pm »

I don't want to bash Trump any more than I have but...

At a certain point Trump needs to stop being Trump or at least be Trump in substance but not in style. Pursue the wall, MAGA, all the rest of it, but stylistically, become a boring old regular politician. Filter it all through the proper PR and such.

I know people will reply saying it's great with Trump tweeting, but if Trump's own guy is saying this, and the WH is confirming... I think this is more than just me Trump bashing isn't it? Trump can carry his message direct to the people without coming off as a jackass can't he? It's not either or right?

Anyone else want to comment without calling me a leftist?

He doesn't know the rules regarding holes.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:24 pm »
Well if this is the way this dude feels about it, he can certainly pull his name from nomination, otherwise he can sit the hell down and shut up.

Did you see the presser where Trump introduced Gorsuch?    Trump shook his hand and attempted to draw Gorsuch close to him in a gesture of familiarity.  Gorsuch remained stiff-armed and kept his distance.

Gorsuch is the real deal - a tough, independent jurist who is not about to be seen as under the thumb of an oily manipulator like Trump.   Damn right he'll make a hell of a judge, of the very best sort - courageous and untouchable.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 10:26:22 pm »
Did you see the presser where Trump introduced Gorsuch?    Trump shook his hand and attempted to draw Gorsuch close to him in a gesture of familiarity.  Gorsuch remained stiff-armed and kept his distance.

Gorsuch is the real deal - a tough, independent jurist who is not about to be seen as under the thumb of an oily manipulator like Trump.   Damn right he'll make a hell of a judge, of the very best sort - courageous and untouchable.

Lil Frankie wants a Trump throne sniffer and only a Trump throne sniffer.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 10:26:36 pm »

Not sure what to think of this. On one hand, it seems a little sketchy to reveal the content of a private conversation, especially when we don't know the context.

On the other hand his own communication coordinator confirms the comment. There would be no other reason for him to weigh in than if he thought it would help his candidate. But its naive in the extreme to believe the democrats are open minded about this nomination in the first place.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 10:30:46 pm »

I'm betting that he'll withdraw himself from consideration within 24 hours.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 10:32:28 pm »

Lil Frankie wants a Trump throne sniffer and only a Trump throne sniffer.

It's the throne-sniffers that are enabling Trump's conduct that threatens to sink his Presidency.   There are some NeverTrump conservatives out there who are first and foremost American patriots - and Trump would be well-advised to hire them and listen to their objective advice.

There's nothing worse than a leader with a Messiah complex and an ego to match surrounded by sycophants and self-styled fascists like Bannon.   

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 10:32:47 pm »
Trump can't take rejection  or criticism.  And neither can his fans.

The judge has proven he is not going to be influenced or cowed by Trump.  That is a good thing.  Didn't we have enough of judges doing Obama's bidding for 8 years?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 10:33:58 pm »

Yeah, we only want judges who will do the bidding of the president!  That's right!

C'mon, Frank.  You're not that dumb.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 10:34:04 pm »

If he does that, then I'm just about done with Trump.   

Offline r9etb

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 10:36:30 pm »

I hope not. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 10:41:09 pm »
This is CNN...I have to see Gorsuch actually say this to believe it..sounds like fake news.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 10:47:36 pm »
Nah. This a check next to the box, "Possesses functioning spine?"

This as good.

Gotta stay out of Chicken Little mode, people.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 10:52:11 pm »
This is CNN...I have to see Gorsuch actually say this to believe it..sounds like fake news.

Gorsuch condemned judicial activism himself at his nomination event. Albeit more artfully.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 11:05:08 pm »
This came out of Blumenthal's office and he is a known liar

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,248289.0.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:26:39 am by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 11:05:15 pm »
Maybe Gorsuch actually wants to get confirmed and/or he believes what he says. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 11:13:30 pm »
Yeah, we only want judges who will do the bidding of the president!  That's right!

C'mon, Frank.  You're not that dumb.

Didn't say anything about the Presidents bidding. The issue is over the Presidents comments about the Judiciary being political. If Gosuck disagrees with that, he is not a Judge I wanted seated for life.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 11:20:47 pm »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 11:38:40 pm »
And this is where he get's savaged by the mob for the simple act of being honest.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 11:50:41 pm »
Didn't say anything about the Presidents bidding. The issue is over the Presidents comments about the Judiciary being political. If Gosuck disagrees with that, he is not a Judge I wanted seated for life.

Because judges are just supposed to sit there and absorb implied threats on yet to be made rulings?

That sets a very bad precedent going forward.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 12:23:51 am »
As I've said before this is an excellent pick if you want a Conservative jurist. If you want a Conservative political activist who also happens to be a judge then folks are going to be disappointed. In other words if you like Roberts you will likely like Gorsuch...  :shrug: