Author Topic: Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch calls Trump's tweets 'disheartening'  (Read 11960 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Supreme Court nominee Gorsuch calls Trump's tweets 'disheartening'
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2017, 02:56:20 pm »
First paragraph, I'm thinking, "Wow. I am going to agree with @Jazzhead here."

Then that second paragraph.
 **nononono*

What is up with that? The threads I am following do not give any backup for it.

Yeah, just a little mid-morning snarkiness.   Bigun and I don't like each other, and I probably shouldn't have written it.   But I really don't care if Bigun worships Trump,  so long as Judge Gorsuch doesn't.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The fact that Blumenthal did not specifically say in every speech that he served in Vietnam does not erase all the times he claimed he did exactly that.

He admits to "misspeaking":

Blumenthal responded to the controversy by saying that he did indeed misspeak on a few occasions but denying that he intentionally lied about Vietnam service.
“I may have misspoken, I did misspeak on a few occasions out of hundreds that I have attended (in honor of the military)…I regret that I misspoke,” Blumenthal said during a press conference, according to Politico.

He went on to say that he was “unaware of those misplaced words when they were spoken.”

http://heavy.com/news/2017/02/richard-blumenthal-vietnam-service-did-lie-about-serving-in-military-donald-trump-quote-report/

"Unaware of those misplaced words"????  What kind of mealy-mouthed b.s is that? The man repeatedly claimed to have having served in Vietnam when he did not -- that's simply inarguable.  The fact that he didn't always lie about it in every speech doesn't lessen his guilt.   Among my group of vets, lying about having served in a combat zone is a cardinal sin.  And it is not something you do accidentally unless you're 75 years old and losing your marbles.  In which case, "Chesty" Blumenthal has no business in the U.S. Senate.

I absolutely despise those men low enough to have lied about things like that.  Particularly when they tried to weasel-dick their way around serving in-country via 5 different deferments.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:02:09 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2017, 03:00:59 pm »
This is CNN...I have to see Gorsuch actually say this to believe it..sounds like fake news.
@mystery-ak

"Gorsuch’s spokesman, Ron Bonjean, confirmed to the Guardian that the supreme court nominee called Trump’s tweet attacking Robart “disheartening and demoralizing”."

Trump didn't have to call judges names, but he can't stand any, and I mean any, comment that doesn't praise him.  He will keep up this behavior every single day he is in office.  He thrives on attacking others.  That has been his behavior over the years.

If Gorsuch gets on the Supreme Court, in spite of Trump's rantings about judges, he will be rid of Trump and can do his job.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2017, 03:02:47 pm »
Yeah, just a little mid-morning snarkiness.   Bigun and I don't like each other, and I probably shouldn't have written it.   But I really don't care if Bigun worships Trump,  so long as Judge Gorsuch doesn't.

Bigun worship Trump? 

:happyhappy:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2017, 03:05:56 pm »
@mystery-ak

"Gorsuch’s spokesman, Ron Bonjean, confirmed to the Guardian that the supreme court nominee called Trump’s tweet attacking Robart “disheartening and demoralizing”."

Why should we believe what the Guardian says?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:06:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2017, 03:08:53 pm »

Let's at least observe some courtesy to ping members we mention.
@Bigun

Silver Pines

The fact that Blumenthal did not specifically say in every speech that he served in Vietnam does not erase all the times he claimed he did exactly that.

He admits to "misspeaking":

"Unaware of those misplaced words"????  What kind of mealy-mouthed b.s is that? The man repeatedly claimed to have having served in Vietnam when he did not -- that's simply inarguable.  The fact that he didn't always lie about it in every speech doesn't lessen his guilt.   Among my group of vets, lying about having served in a combat zone is a cardinal sin.  And it is not something you do accidentally unless you're 75 years old and losing your marbles.  In which case, "Chesty" Blumenthal has no business in the U.S. Senate.

I absolutely despise those men low enough to have lied about things like that.  Particularly when they tried to weasel-dick their way around serving in-country via 5 different deferments.

@Maj. Bill Martin

My father served in the military, so I don't have any particular use for them, either.  It's true Blumenthal admits he misspoke, whatever that means, but the article also claims he specifically said (per my post) on several occasions, that he was not in Vietnam.

Like I said, I wasn't familiar with the man or with this particular issue, so I'm not coming from the POV that yes, I know he lied.  I expect there will be a lot of digging for the definitive truth over the next few days.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2017, 03:21:30 pm »
You didn't answer my question.  There was a dissent to the Roberts opinion.   Was that cited by the dissent as a reason for the ACA's unconstitutionality?

he case is easy and straightforward, however, in another respect. What is absolutely clear, affirmed by the text of the 1789 Constitution, by the Tenth Amendment ratified in 1791, and by innumerable cases of ours in the 220 years since, is that there are structural limits upon federal power—upon what it can prescribe with respect to private conduct, and upon what it can impose upon the sovereign States. Whatever may be the conceptual limits upon the Commerce Clause and upon the power to taxand spend, they cannot be such as will enable the Federal Government to regulate all private conduct and to com-pel the States to function as administrators of federalprograms.

That clear principle carries the day here. The striking case of Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U. S. 111 (1942) , which held that the economic activity of growing wheat, evenfor one’s own consumption, affected commerce sufficiently that it could be regulated, always has been regarded as the ne plus ultra of expansive Commerce Clause jurisprudence. To go beyond that, and to say the failure to grow wheat (which is not an economic activity, or any activityat all) nonetheless affects commerce and therefore can be federally regulated, is to make mere breathing in and out the basis for federal prescription and to extend federal power to virtually all human activity.

As for the constitutional power to tax and spend forthe general welfare: The Court has long since expanded that beyond (what Madison thought it meant) taxing and spending for those aspects of the general welfare that were within the Federal Government’s enumerated powers,see United States v. Butler, 297 U. S. 1–66 (1936). Thus, we now have sizable federal Departments devotedto subjects not mentioned among Congress’ enumerated powers, and only marginally related to commerce: the De-partment of Education, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Housing and Urban Development. The principal practical obstacle that prevents Congress from using the tax-and-spend power to assume all the general-welfare responsibilities traditionally exercised by the States is the sheer impossibility of managing a Federal Government large enough to administer such a system. That obstacle can be overcome by granting funds to the States, allowing them to administer the program. That is fair and constitutional enough when the States freely agree to have their powers employed and their employees enlisted in the federal scheme. But it is a blatant violation of the constitutional structure when the States have no choice.

The Act before us here exceeds federal power both in mandating the purchase of health insurance and in denying nonconsenting States all Medicaid funding. These parts of the Act are central to its design and operation, and all the Act’s other provisions would not have been enacted without them. In our view it must follow that the entire statute is inoperative.

The entire Scalia dissent from 2012 is here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/11-393#writing-11-393_DISSENT_5

And here is his 2015 Burwell dissent:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-114_qol1.pdf
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2017, 03:21:59 pm »
Why should we believe what the Guardian says?

OFFS seriously?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2017, 03:23:30 pm »
OFFS seriously?

If only we had some kind of "committee on public information" to tell us what to believe.  :silly:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2017, 03:25:24 pm »
While I give him low style points, the substance is what matters. What is the substantive mistake related to topic we are discussing?

The low brow low class tweets.  They are beneath the office he now holds...this isn't the freaking Apprentice...it's the Presidency.  And his ill conceived attack on the judiciary is disturbing to even his SCOTUS pick.  That right there should be enough to give him pause to think about what he's doing.

But since this isn't the first time he's attacked a judge overseeing a case he's involved in it's obvious he'll never learn things like self restraint and decorum.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2017, 03:28:40 pm »
If only we had some kind of "committee on public information" to tell us what to believe.  :silly:

Tell me about it.  There are four other news outlests I found to include Forbes and the WSJ reporting the same thing.  Are they lying too? Are they not to be trusted as well?

But I think I've figured out what the unofficial "committee on public information" thinks we should believe already.

Good stories about President Trump (regardless of the source) = factual and accurate news

Bad stories about President Trump (regardless of the source) = FAKE NEWS!!! DEATH TO THE JOURNALISTS!!! CRUSH THE PROPAGANDISTS!!!!!!

I mean there are

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2017, 03:34:31 pm »
Thanks, Txradioguy.   I couldn't remember, but I was fairly sure Scalia's dissent wasn't based on whether the "tax" originated in the House or the Senate.  His objection was to the penalty's impact in "mandating" (compelling) folks to have health insurance.   Roberts addressed that critique in his majority opinion, as I discussed in my post above.   

The fact is that millions of Americans (especially younger Americans)  have rationally decided to pay the tax rather than pay far, far more for health insurance they believe is too expensive and of little practical utility to them.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2017, 03:40:38 pm »
Thanks, Txradioguy.   I couldn't remember, but I was fairly sure Scalia's dissent wasn't based on whether the "tax" originated in the House or the Senate.  His objection was to the penalty's impact in "mandating" (compelling) folks to have health insurance.   Roberts addressed that critique in his majority opinion, as I discussed in my post above.   

The fact is that millions of Americans (especially younger Americans)  have rationally decided to pay the tax rather than pay far, far more for health insurance they believe is too expensive and of little practical utility to them.

Young people don't need health insurance because they are healthier or if they are in college they most times were still on their parents plan or went to the campus clinic depending on their age.

The entire Obamacare scheme hinged on forcing those younger, healthier people to pay for insurance they didn't want or need in order to fund the government managed care for older people who aren't as healthy and really do need coverage.

The plan was jacked form the start...hell the thing had to be amended to include TriCare...the military health insurance as a Govt approved health insurance provider.  That right there should tell you how effed up the ACA was from the start.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2017, 03:41:13 pm »
Didn't say anything about the Presidents bidding. The issue is over the Presidents comments about the Judiciary being political. If Gosuck disagrees with that, he is not a Judge I wanted seated for life.

Bump!

geronl

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2017, 03:43:06 pm »
Gorsuch has a right to an opinion, he's an American citizen.

I am sure the Trump-worshippers will see this as an attack on Trump and tell him to pull his nomination or to shut up as if he were a child.

He should just say "Yes, daddy" when Trump speaks in their mind.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »

If you didn't hear it from Donald's thumbs, or Kellyanne conway then you're a globalist cuck or something.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2017, 03:48:34 pm »
Tell me about it.  There are four other news outlests I found to include Forbes and the WSJ reporting the same thing.  Are they lying too? Are they not to be trusted as well?

But I think I've figured out what the unofficial "committee on public information" thinks we should believe already.

Good stories about President Trump (regardless of the source) = factual and accurate news

Bad stories about President Trump (regardless of the source) = FAKE NEWS!!! DEATH TO THE JOURNALISTS!!! CRUSH THE PROPAGANDISTS!!!!!!

I mean there are

I see this crap posted on twitter again this morning. Its been floating around twitter for months despite being debunked by the actress herself (Samara Weaving) who was in make up for a role in Ash Vs The Evil Dead.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:48:58 pm by Cripplecreek »

geronl

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2017, 03:53:13 pm »
I was a lone traitor who openly asked questions about Roberts at TOS.

I know how that feels

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2017, 03:54:21 pm »
Young people don't need health insurance because they are healthier or if they are in college they most times were still on their parents plan or went to the campus clinic depending on their age.

The entire Obamacare scheme hinged on forcing those younger, healthier people to pay for insurance they didn't want or need in order to fund the government managed care for older people who aren't as healthy and really do need coverage.

The plan was jacked form the start...hell the thing had to be amended to include TriCare...the military health insurance as a Govt approved health insurance provider.  That right there should tell you how effed up the ACA was from the start.

No disagreement there, txradioguy.   The ACA mandates that insurers not differentiate in premium rates between young and old by more than 3 to 1.   There's no actuarial basis for that (that actual difference in costs between younger and older individuals is more like 5 or 6 to 1, if I recall correctly).   That points out clearly the winners and losers under the ACA:

-  the winners were males in their fifties and early sixties who were laid off from their jobs (and their health insurance) during the past recession,  who could now get affordable coverage under the ACA due to the 3 to 1 ratio rule. 

-  the losers were younger Americans faced with the choice of paying for health insurance that's far more expensive than what they could get prior to the ACA, or paying the ACA penalty/tax

Since so few younger Americans are agreeing to be price-gouged for something they don't want or need,  the ACA marketplace is facing a premium death spiral,  without enough healthy lives to support the sick.   

The final irony is that the problems facing the ACA are actually pretty easy to fix.   What's lacking is the will to do so.       

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2017, 03:55:24 pm »
I was a lone traitor who openly asked questions about Roberts at TOS. Its amazing how quickly those who had attacked me for it changed their tune with the Roberts Obamacare decision.

Unfortunately its hardly the first time I watched conservatives around me turn 180 degrees and attack the very position they held often only days before.

When Justice Alito spoke up during Obama's SOTU address when Obama attacked the citizens united ruling, (that conservatives loved) conservatives cheered. Yet when Trump came along and started attacking the big money in politics, those former citizens united fans morphed into little Harry Reid clones attacking those filthy rich guys who buy politicians. Cruz borrowed a half million dollars from Goldman Sachs and paid back, so that meant he was owned by GS, the most evil bank on the planet. Then they conveniently went blind when Trump started grabbing GS executives for his administration. Trump borrows 9 figures from George Soros but that doesn't mean Soros owns him for some unexplainable reason.

Its an absolute fact that I could not live with that kind of deep moral cowardice. I'd suck a gunbarrel before I'd let that kind of metaphysical rape happen to me again and again and again.

I remember FR in 2006 when Roberts was nominated. At the time Conservatism was about one thing and one thing only: the Iraq war. And any questioning about W meant you were a "fifth columnist".

Fast forward to 2017: SSDD.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin

My father served in the military, so I don't have any particular use for them, either.  It's true Blumenthal admits he misspoke, whatever that means, but the article also claims he specifically said (per my post) on several occasions, that he was not in Vietnam.

Like I said, I wasn't familiar with the man or with this particular issue, so I'm not coming from the POV that yes, I know he lied.  I expect there will be a lot of digging for the definitive truth over the next few days.

I guess I'm just confused.  He admitted saying on numerous occasions that he had actually served in Vietnam.  That he made those representations, and that they were false, is not in dispute.  There are times he lied, and times he didn't.  And by the way, I'd add that he never admitted to falsely claiming to having been in Vietnam until after being accused of doing so.  In other words, this wasn't a spontaneous mea culpa.  It was a mea culpa issued only after he got attacked for having done it.

What other information is necessary?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:14:45 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I guess I'm just confused.  He admitted saying on numerous occasions that he had actually served in Vietnam.  That he made those representations, and that they were false, is not in dispute.  There are times he lied, and times he didn't.  And by the way, I'd add that he never admitted to falsely claiming to having been in Vietnam until after being accused of doing so.  In other words, this wasn't a spontaneous mea culpa.  It was a mea culpa issued only after he got attacked for having done it.

What other information is necessary?

Here is the quotes that got him in trouble:

He told a gathering of families who were expressing support for returning American troops in 2003 that, “when we returned, we saw nothing like this.”

Blumenthal, however, crossed the line when speaking to a group of veterans in March 2008.

“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” he said.

Silver Pines

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2017, 04:44:35 pm »

@Cripplecreek

I want a list of approved sources so I don't make any mistakes and read from a site that might be inappropriate.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2017, 06:31:20 pm »
Trump didn't have to call judges names, but he can't stand any, and I mean any, comment that doesn't praise him.  He will keep up this behavior every single day he is in office.  He thrives on attacking others.  That has been his behavior over the years.

If Gorsuch gets on the Supreme Court, in spite of Trump's rantings about judges, he will be rid of Trump and can do his job.

Yes, and he is especially vindictive against those he feels he has bought favors from, and they don't fall in line.  Watch out for the flamethrower the first time Gorsuch slaps Trump down.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn