Author Topic: Dissent memo circulating in the State Department  (Read 2285 times)

Wingnut

Dissent memo circulating in the State Department
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:31:09 pm »
 By Carol Morello January 30 at 12:14 PM

State Department diplomats are circulating a memo objecting to President Trump’s executive order last week suspending the refugee program and denying entry to citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries in the Middle East.

The document is destined for what’s known as the State Department’s "dissent channel," which was set up during the Vietnam War as a way for diplomats to signal their disagreement on foreign policy decisions to senior management. The communications are typically private.

It is not known if the memo has been submitted yet to Acting Secretary of State Thomas Shannon, a holdover from the Obama administration who is in charge of the department until a replacement is named. The Senate is expected to confirm Rex Tillerson, the former ExxonMobil executed designated for the job.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/dissent-memo-circulating-in-the-state-department-over-trumps-policy-on-refugees-and-immigrants/2017/01/30/c1457689-5108-4ef7-bcea-1a5dee431ef8_story.html?utm_term=.22a86cec5ec5

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Dissent memo circulating in the State Department
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 05:56:04 pm »
We should keep track of who signs on to this memo and audit their compliance with presidential and secretarial directives...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 06:34:23 pm »
We should keep track of who signs on to this memo and audit their compliance with presidential and secretarial directives...

Easier than that...those that sign it get letters of dismissal from the SecState.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:42:44 pm »
Fire 'em all!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:03:16 pm »
Easier than that...those that sign it get letters of dismissal from the SecState.

Do we want just Yes Men?

Don't we want dissent to be aired privately, as long as it doesn't interfere with the mission?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 07:10:40 pm »
Do we want just Yes Men?

Don't we want dissent to be aired privately, as long as it doesn't interfere with the mission?

Don't want/need yes men.

Don't need people that will secretly undermine the country because they don't like the current President either.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 07:33:55 pm »

Don't need people that will secretly undermine the country because they don't like the current President either.

Isn't that a requirement for the State Dept?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 07:35:18 pm »
Do we want just Yes Men?

They do. Conservatives need unthinking drones. More so than liberals even.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 07:37:16 pm »
Do we want just Yes Men?

Once the matter has been placed in the hands of the Washington.compost there's nothing private intended.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:37:41 pm »
Isn't that a requirement for the State Dept?

Seems to have been a haven for Communists and traitors in the past.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 07:42:23 pm »

But only since the 1920's mind you!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 08:07:42 pm »
Dating to FDR and Truman, if history is studied.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 08:23:55 pm »

The one I always remember is Alger Hiss.  He was outed thanks to Joe McCarthy and the Communist sympathizers in the State Department and the rest of the Federal government made McCarthy's name a slur ever since.

I'm sure there were/are others...but his is the name that always comes to mind when I thin State Department and Communist sympathizers.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 08:25:55 pm »

They've been there since shortly after the Russian Revolution but the numbers definitely increased under FDR and Truman!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 08:28:46 pm »
The one I always remember is Alger Hiss.  He was outed thanks to Joe McCarthy and the Communist sympathizers in the State Department and the rest of the Federal government made McCarthy's name a slur ever since.

I'm sure there were/are others...but his is the name that always comes to mind when I thin State Department and Communist sympathizers.

Names, dates, places, along with how they were infiltrated!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 08:30:08 pm »
And here is another very good one for those interested.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 08:46:36 pm »
Fire 'em all!

Ditto.  The Department of State is rife with corruption far in excess of any other department.  It is full of people working in their own best interests at the expense of this country.  People like Joe Wilson come to mind.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 08:48:49 pm »
Nothing more important than people who just follow orders.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:33 pm »
By Carol Morello January 30 at 12:14 PM

State Department diplomats are circulating a memo objecting to President Trump’s executive order last week suspending the refugee program and denying entry to citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries in the Middle East.

The document is destined for what’s known as the State Department’s "dissent channel," which was set up during the Vietnam War as a way for diplomats to signal their disagreement on foreign policy decisions to senior management. The communications are typically private.

It is not known if the memo has been submitted yet to Acting Secretary of State Thomas Shannon, a holdover from the Obama administration who is in charge of the department until a replacement is named. The Senate is expected to confirm Rex Tillerson, the former ExxonMobil executed designated for the job.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/dissent-memo-circulating-in-the-state-department-over-trumps-policy-on-refugees-and-immigrants/2017/01/30/c1457689-5108-4ef7-bcea-1a5dee431ef8_story.html?utm_term=.22a86cec5ec5
Note to Secretary Tillerson:  Fire these guys first.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 08:51:34 pm »
Fire 'em all!

Air-traffic Controller redux?   

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 08:53:59 pm »
They couldn't help themselves.

In 3 weeks, they'll fall off the news and life with set in.   They will NOT be able to go on cable shows and talk about any of it.

Good luck!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 08:54:37 pm »
Air-traffic Controller redux?   

IIRC...they aren't union so it will be much easier.

Then they can all go scatter out to the K Street lobbyist firms and Sunday Morning talk shows they all long to be on.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 09:02:08 pm »
IIRC...they aren't union so it will be much easier.

Then they can all go scatter out to the K Street lobbyist firms and Sunday Morning talk shows they all long to be on.

Yes...they serve at the POTUS' pleasure.

I think he's already signed an EO having as much as a 5 year wait before you can lobby.   And, I'm not sure being ex-State Dept...employees, etc., that there's a gag rule.

The previous administration went after whistle blowers with a vengeance.   I don' think they're going to screw with Trump.

HonestJohn

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 10:20:03 pm »
Don't want/need yes men.

How is a dissent memo at State undermining the country... and how is it secret?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 12:28:38 am »
How is a dissent memo at State undermining the country... and how is it secret?

You've got people soliciting a memo looking for people to sign on and agree not to carry out the diplomatic policies of the SecState and the President.  How it that not undermining the country?

It's out in the open...it never was meant to be a secret.