Author Topic: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!  (Read 95326 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2017---Bring it On!!!
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2017, 11:47:39 pm »
Meanwhile the Twins pitcher who hit Tigers batter Jacoby Jones in the mouth with a fastball wasn't ejected. Then Detroit pitcher Matt Boyd hit Miguel Sano in the ass causing Sano to throw a punch at McCann leading to and Boyd and Sano being ejected.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19220819

There's a reason why the Twins pitcher who hit Jones didn't get ejected. He wasn't trying to throw at him.
If you saw his reaction as he saw the pitch hit Jones, he looked too obviously distraught over it. I'm not
a lip reader but it looked like "oh sh@t no!" came out of his mouth as he spun around the mound
grabbing his head in embarrassment. That's not the act of a guy who's looking to deck a hitter.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2017, 12:29:40 am »
There's a reason why the Twins pitcher who hit Jones didn't get ejected. He wasn't trying to throw at him.
If you saw his reaction as he saw the pitch hit Jones, he looked too obviously distraught over it. I'm not
a lip reader but it looked like "oh sh@t no!" came out of his mouth as he spun around the mound
grabbing his head in embarrassment. That's not the act of a guy who's looking to deck a hitter.

There was also no good reason for Boyd to get tossed. No warnings had been issued and Boyd was having severe control issues anyway. Even without debating intent, no one would have been ejected without Sano's reaction. Had Sano just taken his base he could have grumbled about it to Boyd all the way down the baseline and let it go, the game would have continued.

The craziest ejection I ever saw was Mike Maroth (Pitching for the Tigers against the Twins) getting tossed while facing the first batter of the game. However that one did come with a pregame warning from the brawl the previous day that led to something like 9 players ejected.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2017, 01:20:11 am »
There was also no good reason for Boyd to get tossed. No warnings had been issued and Boyd was having severe control issues anyway.

Right there said it all. But beware: just grumbling up the base line is sometimes enough to start a brawl.

The craziest ejection I ever saw was Mike Maroth (Pitching for the Tigers against the Twins) getting tossed while facing the first batter of the game. However that one did come with a pregame warning from the brawl the previous day that led to something like 9 players ejected.

How about the one that began between the Padres and the Braves in August 1984 that began when Pascual Perez
drilled Alan Wiggins on the game's first pitch? That started an evening of multiple brushbacks and three brawls
before it ended.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2017, 12:38:20 am »
Tigers are tearing it up tonight with all their minor league call ups.

currently 7-2 over Seattle in the top of the 5th without Miggy, JD Martinez, Iglesias, and Jacoby Jones.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2017, 01:01:25 am »
OK that's weird.

No pitch intentional walk to Avila.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2017, 01:08:08 am »
OK that's weird.

No pitch intentional walk to Avila.

I don't like the no pitch intentional walk.  Worst rule change in decades.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2017, 01:09:38 am »

Im guessing the Mariners are wishing this inning would end. 12-4 14-4 16-4 in the bottom of the 5th.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:11:17 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2017, 01:13:04 am »
Biggest inning of the year for the Tigers. 9 runs scored.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:13:35 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2017, 12:23:05 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2017, 12:32:24 pm »
Good thing the Tiger bats were hot last night because the defense was not spectacular.

Despite being beaten by 10 runs, the Mariners still managed to score 9 runs themselves.

Most impressive from the Tigers was taking out "King" Hernandez in 2 innings.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2017, 02:13:32 pm »

Here's the Top 5 in my lifetime

1. DH (by far)...plus that f'n slug Selig moving my team to the ALW, where I have to put up with extra midnight baseball and DH almost all the time.
2. NBAization of MLB by having 4 WC spots in playoffs
3. (not a rule but)....   Exponential Growth in MLB salaries, and effect on ticket prices
4. Changes in slide rule.
5. NP intentional walk.  I have seen a number of times WP's or PB's on an IBB that have changed the game.

I do like the instant replay, and when auto -strike zone becomes reality.  Got to make this game C.B. Bucknor proof.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:15:53 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2017, 03:00:40 pm »

1. DH (by far)...plus that f'n slug Selig moving my team to the ALW, where I have to put up with extra midnight baseball and DH almost all the time.
2. NBAization of MLB by having 4 WC spots in playoffs
3. (not a rule but)....   Exponential Growth in MLB salaries, and effect on ticket prices
4. Changes in slide rule.
5. NP intentional walk.  I have seen a number of times WP's or PB's on an IBB that have changed the game.

I do like the instant replay, and when auto -strike zone becomes reality.  Got to make this game C.B. Bucknor proof.

Good list, @catfish1957

I have an idea for automation used in calling "East-West" borders of the plate.

All it takes is one person with another as backup and installed sensors inside the border of the rubber home plate.

The sensor would pick up any breach "...on the black".

Once the batter is finished with his 'practice' half swings in the box and is set.....those two guys push a button.

All the ump has to do is call high and low.

And since most umps look over ONE shoulder anyway they can move to the catcher's right shoulder to 'see' even better!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:01:26 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2017, 03:12:43 pm »

That's precisely why I don't like the NP Intentional Walk.  It screws the offense by removing four opportunities for errors.  Name one other rule in baseball that does that.  Even the infield fly rule doesn't do that.

I hear ya about making the sport Bucknor-proof.  I don't think there's a team in MLB that hasn't been jacked by that jag-off.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2017, 03:18:37 pm »
@DCPatriot The Nats did a great job last night!  Let's have another!  D-Backs could use that Colorado loss...
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2017, 03:19:34 pm »
Good list, @catfish1957

I have an idea for automation used in calling "East-West" borders of the plate.

All it takes is one person with another as backup and installed sensors inside the border of the rubber home plate.

The sensor would pick up any breach "...on the black".

Once the batter is finished with his 'practice' half swings in the box and is set.....those two guys push a button.

All the ump has to do is call high and low.

And since most umps look over ONE shoulder anyway they can move to the catcher's right shoulder to 'see' even better!

I like those ideas.  Considering Tennis uses this technology without flaw, it seems baseball could actually implement easily.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2017, 03:22:15 pm »
@DCPatriot The Nats did a great job last night!  Let's have another!  D-Backs could use that Colorado loss...

That final score scares the hell out of me.

And it should scare the hell out of you, too.   And every beisbol fan in the world.

We don't need no steenkin' 'Arena Baseball'.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2017, 03:28:09 pm »
I'd like to see the mound height back to what it was.   And the rulebook strikezone called.  Letters to knees.

Not so sure how today's pitcher's breaking balls would react, though.   LOL!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2017, 03:33:45 pm »
That final score scares the hell out of me.

And it should scare the hell out of you, too.   And every beisbol fan in the world.

We don't need no steenkin' 'Arena Baseball'.

I agree.  Mrs. Liberty watched the final innings on Gameday, and boy was she pissed....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:35 pm »
I'd like to see the mound height back to what it was.   And the rulebook strikezone called.  Letters to knees.

Not so sure how today's pitcher's breaking balls would react, though.   LOL!

I agree with the part about the mound, too.  It was a failed experiment to increase hitting, and it didn't.  It did, however, increase pitching injuries and contributed to fewer pitchers pitching full games.

The strike zone is an issue that dates back to Doubleday.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:57 pm »
That's precisely why I don't like the NP Intentional Walk.  It screws the offense by removing four opportunities for errors.  Name one other rule in baseball that does that.  Even the infield fly rule doesn't do that.

I hear ya about making the sport Bucknor-proof.  I don't think there's a team in MLB that hasn't been jacked by that jag-off.

True enough. I've seen batters reach out and hit intentional balls and I've also seen intentional balls go to the backstop

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2017, 03:37:09 pm »
I DO NOT understand why people insist on fixing things that aren't broken! 

I long for the days when baseball was played for the love of the game!

Astros are 14 and 6!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2017, 05:15:43 pm »
Is baseball too slow? The battle lines are drawn -- and MLB is taking a side

PHILADELPHIA -- Art Nelson knows that up the New Jersey Turnpike on Park Avenue, Major League Baseball's deepest thinkers are hard at work trying to solve maybe the hottest topic on commissioner Rob Manfred's to-do list: pace of game.

But here in Ashburn Alley, with a cheesesteak in his hand and a Mets-Phillies game about to unfold before his eyes, Nelson would like the commish to know something just as important:

He's in no hurry to go home.

[-snip-]

[...] new polling data, compiled for ESPN this month by digital insights company Toluna, confirm the sentiments of folks in Ashburn Alley. It's all those people who aren't at the park, the ones sitting at home with a clicker or smartphone -- or not watching at all -- who say games are moving way too slowly.

[-snip-]

"They're trying to appeal to the non-passionate fan," Sutton said. "They're looking to attract people who could become fans if you make it appealing enough. That's their biggest problem -- bringing in that audience that they're not getting because the game is too slow."

But the current fans have a question, and it's an excellent one: How does baseball know it can ever attract those fans?

"I don't like all these changes to baseball to please [people] who will never like it," tweeted Bob Romano (@chisox927). "I don't expect soccer to change so I'll like it more."

[-snip-]

Meanwhile, as our polling shows, the incredible divide between the TV/mobile fan base and the in-the-park crowd might remain as impossible to bridge as ever -- because there seems to be only one thing everyone can agree upon.

"Baseball still feels timeless," Bill Sutton said, "if you're at the game."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19192828/is-baseball-too-slow-battle-lines-drawn-mlb-taking-side
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2017, 05:17:55 pm »
-- because there seems to be only one thing everyone can agree upon.

Two things, actually -- the second one being get rid of CB Bucknor.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cripplecreek

Offline Polly Ticks