Author Topic: LYING IS BAD: 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Defend Trump's Lies Just Because You Like The Outcome  (Read 19362 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
And, that is the issue!  I am very reluctant to cross over to the #everTrump side because I have a real problem with the idea of president, any president, as a savior.

As do I, and as have I for a very long time.

Seems like the uncompromising, unquestioning adulation is much, much worse this time (probably in response to how much trouble the US is in).

You may well be right about how much worse this time. That said, I'd keep in mind, too, that there was such adulation
over His Excellency Obama with the country perceived in "how much trouble" at the time, too. Likewise over the second
President Bush and with the same perception, though the details were somewhat (not by much) different. The acolytes
for them bleated those times, too, as they were running up to election day, that nothing short of the survival of the
republic is at stake, you miserable pudknockers!!!!!
. . .
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:22:42 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
As do I, and as have I for a very long time.

You may well be right about how much worse this time. That said, I'd keep in mind, too, that there was such adulation
over His Excellency Obama with the country perceived in "how much trouble" at the time, too. Likewise over the second
President Bush and with the same perception, though the details were somewhat (not by much) different. The acolytes
bleated then, as they were running up to election day, that nothing short of the survival of the republic is at stake,
you miserable pudknockers!!!!!
, too . . .

@EasyAce @Sanguine

Ronald Reagan was right.

While Trump said "I Alone can fix it" Reagan warned us against trusting a man who says such things.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Well, I'm someone who doesn't thrive on what you are referring to.  There are a lot of us, actually.

You always have cool avatars that have a story to them.  What is this one?

Town crest, of Heilbronn am Neckar, Germany. Where I served my time defending America, in the Cold War. Later I authored a graduate thesis, on post WWII Germany's economy. If that makes me a goose-stepper, I plead guilty.

Heilbronn was bombed many times during the war, and suffered greatly. On the anniversary of the worst night of bombing, soldiers were advised to NOT go downtown to drink in the gasthauses.

http://www.ngw.nl/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=Heilbronn

Village near Heilbronn 1940:

Same village after bombing from different view but same church steeple in center:

Compared to the proportion of the population Heilbronn was the second among the war-ravaged cities with the greatest lost of lives: 91 people in a thousand
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

It's amazing how some (not you) have quickly forgotten the bashing W and even Rush Limbaugh took on TOS on a daily basis by members there. 

It's almost like this has never happened to  Republican President by members of the party.

I'm not sure he's old enough to remember when W was elected.  He was criticized from Day One.

The idea that a sitting President should be above criticism is bizarre, and totally un-American.

The guy needs to brush up on his history if he doesn't have the experience to know that shutting people up because they don't agree with (or in this case, adore) a President is absurd.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

HonestJohn

On side is good and the other is bad.  Any so called conservative who keeps bashing our President and giving fodder to the liberals I would have booted off of this site right after the election.

Trump so far has done excellent work but a few here keep bashing him. For what reason I have no idea but I have my suspicions.

@Sanguine

Any side that thinks like this is not good, but is pure evil instead.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:52:00 am by HonestJohn »

HonestJohn

Because you would be in jail..BOOM

SRS I have never seen a conservative site that allows so called conservatives continually bash our new president like this one does.

Constructive criticism is fine, saying you don't agree with some of his decisions is 100% fine. I have criticized some of his moves so far and will continue to do so.

But the outright bashing you and music lady and a few others do is way beyond reasonable. I have seen less bashing on DU.

@INVAR

Jail for those that do not have the 'right' political views.

That is evil.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yes, the President has done excellent work ... and in ONE week @mirraflake   I really don't know what "conservatives" have to complain about with any of this:

January 20--January 27:

@Right_in_Virginia

It's simple. His last name isn't Bush,and he doesn't thump a Bible. I SUSPECT,but may be wildly wrong,that some of the uber religious posters here resent him for all the Jews in his formerly Christian family. Some cuts really cut deep.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
so you are saying Regean did not join that anti Vet group?

@IsailedawayfromFR

*I* am saying Reagan never knowingly joined ANY anti-Veteran Group. Reagan was a veteran himself. He VOLUNTEERED to serve during WW-2. His eyesight was too bad to pull normal duty,so the military put him to work making short films to educate and introduce new people into the military,as well as anything else they told him to do.  He COULD have really pumped up his acting career if he hadn't donned a uniform by claiming 4F status like the "Super Hero" John Wayne did while people like Tyrone Power and Jimmy Steward were off flying bombing missions over Germany,but he didn't.

Even suggesting he was anti-veteran is ludicrous.

Wingnut

@Right_in_Virginia

It's simple. His last name isn't Bush,and he doesn't thump a Bible. I SUSPECT,but may be wildly wrong,that some of the uber religious posters here resent him for all the Jews in his formerly Christian family. Some cuts really cut deep.

Lighten up Francis.  Check the hate.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Thanks for illustrating yourself a tyrant devoid of an understanding of liberty and political speech.   

Jail, then ovens if you had your way I suppose.

@INVAR

Is there ANYONE on this site that plays the bogus "Anti-Semite Card" more often than you? How do you say "Jesse Jackson" in Yiddish? Thanks to you I have received at least two time-outs over bogus "anti-Semite remarks" because I was beating you like a rented mule,and you go screaming to the Mods anytime that  happens. I'll be shocked if you don't do it again over this post.

The irony is on another site where I post,the anti-Semites complain about my posts defending Jews.

Bigots and hypocrites are just never happy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:11:41 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm not sure he's old enough to remember when W was elected.  He was criticized from Day One.

As he should have been. He was nothing more than a discount store version of Bubba Clinton. Babs Bush even calls Bubba "The son I never had." If Boy Jorge or  that bastard Poppy are conservatives,so are their pals and occasional business partners,the Clintons.

Don't let the truth disturb your regularly-scheduled programming,though.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

OK, I agree with most of that.  In some ways, I'm a very different person than I was 40 years ago; in others, little to no change.

I'm with you - I hope DT does us well.  Reagan's past was more indicative of someone who would would do well, but then you never know until you can look backwards.  Sometimes not even then.  And, I'm willing to wait and see what the guy actually does in office.
Thanks.

All I see is people trying to resurrect DT's past and not looking at any good he is currently doing.

One week in office and so far, the positives outweigh so many of the apprehensions me and others saw on what would develop out of him.

Do I like his past and any falsehoods he did?  No I do not.

So many on this thread pounce and say I am dissing Reagan or supporting lying when I never said any of that.

What I see is actions. Let's applaud the good ones, and be alert if something goes awry in future actions we cannot support.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

I wish y'all would go after the bad guys with as much vigor as you go after each other.

:shrug:
In their mind they are going after bad guys. One's name is Trump, and they apparently hate him unqualifiedly and do not care one iota of any good he might be doing to this country.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Trump is nothing more than a poseur.
You do not know the definition of poseur.

A poseur does not take the types of actions reflected in this post.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,245748.msg1208160.html#msg1208160

Try again.

Offline musiclady

You do not know the definition of poseur.

A poseur does not take the types of actions reflected in this post.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,245748.msg1208160.html#msg1208160

Try again.

Actually, I'm well aware of the definition and stick by it.

Your loyalty is admirable.  I hope the object of your admiration proves worthy of it in the end.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:13:00 am by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

@IsailedawayfromFR

*I* am saying Reagan never knowingly joined ANY anti-Veteran Group. Reagan was a veteran himself. He VOLUNTEERED to serve during WW-2. His eyesight was too bad to pull normal duty,so the military put him to work making short films to educate and introduce new people into the military,as well as anything else they told him to do.  He COULD have really pumped up his acting career if he hadn't donned a uniform by claiming 4F status like the "Super Hero" John Wayne did while people like Tyrone Power and Jimmy Steward were off flying bombing missions over Germany,but he didn't.

Even suggesting he was anti-veteran is ludicrous.
Just quoting a source.  Likely not the best one, so I checked some others and they also indicate he joined several questionable groups.   Likely as you said ignorant of their goals as young people might be fooled to do.

I know he was military yet he did join several groups that were questionable as he is wrote" [I was] blindly and busily joining every organization I could find that would guarantee to save the world."

Did he recognize his mistake?  He sure did, and quickly.  The presence of Communists in these groups caused him to change from Democrat to Republican.

The whole point in all this is not to denigrate Reagan.  It is to demonstrate that even a wildly popular conservative we all admire had a past that was not 100% always conservative.  He changed for the better.

The people bashing Trump do not believe anyone can change as they keep dredging up his past and not seeing any good he is doing.  People can indeed change for the better.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@INVAR

Is there ANYONE on this site that plays the bogus "Anti-Semite Card" more often than you? How do you say "Jesse Jackson" in Yiddish? Thanks to you I have received at least two time-outs over bogus "anti-Semite remarks" because I was beating you like a rented mule,and you go screaming to the Mods anytime that  happens. I'll be shocked if you don't do it again over this post.

Okay Pete, PUT DOWN THE BOURBON AND STEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTLE.

You are confusing me with someone else apparently.

First, I didn't say one thing about Jews or anti-semitism on this board or in this conversation.  You jumped the shark on that and knee-jerked a response without any clue of the context that statement was made or even who first brought that point up in this thread and why.

Second: I NEVER ONCE, NOT ONCE ON THIS BOARD (or anywhere else for that matter) EVER SCREAM TO THE MODS OR REPORT A POST OR PUT ANYONE ON IGNORE.

You can check with @mystery-ak if you like to see whether or not that is true.

I fight my own battles - I don't run to mods or nannies to do my fighting.

Though fighting a drunk is always a scary proposition, they tend to overcommit and knock themselves out.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mod2

Second: I NEVER ONCE, NOT ONCE ON THIS BOARD (or anywhere else for that matter) EVER SCREAM TO THE MODS OR REPORT A POST OR PUT ANYONE ON IGNORE.

Confirmed.

I would, however, rather like it if you would self edit your first and last sentence, OK?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:15:13 am by Mod2 »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The ends justify the means type thinking eventually comes to people and ovens. Once you start justifying evil actions for the greater good the limits eventually just fade away into raw evil. The prior smaller evils that "got results" numbs one to the greater evils that follow - all for the greater good. And people who review history wonder how that happens. It is becoming apparent.
Yeah, but people usually view the early results of such regimes as "good"--and they often are beneficial for the masses, they just don't stop with that....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Quote from: sneakypete on Today at 07:08:45 PM

@INVAR

Okay Pete, PUT DOWN THE BOURBON AND STEP AWAY FROM THE BOTTLE.

You are confusing me with someone else apparently.

First, I didn't say one thing about Jews or anti-semitism on this board or in this conversation.  You jumped the shark on that and knee-jerked a response without any clue of the context that statement was made or even who first brought that point up in this thread and why.

You can check with @mystery-ak if you like to see whether or not that is true.

I fight my own battles - I don't run to mods or nannies to do my fighting.

Though fighting a drunk is always a scary proposition, they tend to overcommit and knock themselves out.

pete....In all the time INVAR has been here he has never once filed a post report..I think you have him confused with someone else....I don't believe you are an anti-semite but it's getting pretty hard lately convincing others of that.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I would, however, rather like it if you would self edit your first and last sentence, OK?

Well, it's Saturday night and I wanted to give Pete the benefit of the doubt that his snark was due to some partying and not because he was just plain being a Richard.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So if you were alive, you would not have liked Truman nuking Hiroshima or Nagasaki so the war could be prolonged and we could lose a million more US troops?

Right.
That depends on what you consider the ends to be.

Nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not about killing one guy. If they wanted to kill the Emperor, that would have been easy enough. The targets were picked because those cities had little bomb damage to them, unlike Tokyo which had largely been burned (with even greater loss of life) in fire bombing raids.
Incendiary bombing raids had killed multiples of the people killed by either atom bomb, but the bomb was as much a psychological weapon as a physical one.
Those bombs (and the dead and destruction from them) were about breaking the will of an entire people to fight on the beaches and the hills against an American invasion. As odd as it sounds those who died were the price to prevent millions more deaths, American and Japanese. No other weapon had had that effect on the nation, leaving them the only means available to end the war quickly.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Well, it's Saturday night and I wanted to give Pete the benefit of the doubt that his snark was due to some partying and not because he was just plain being a Richard.

Hey!

My middle name is Richard.

:silly:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
That depends on what you consider the ends to be.

Nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not about killing one guy. If they wanted to kill the Emperor, that would have been easy enough. The targets were picked because those cities had little bomb damage to them, unlike Tokyo which had largely been burned (with even greater loss of life) in fire bombing raids.
Incendiary bombing raids had killed multiples of the people killed by either atom bomb, but the bomb was as much a psychological weapon as a physical one.
Those bombs (and the dead and destruction from them) were about breaking the will of an entire people to fight on the beaches and the hills against an American invasion. As odd as it sounds those who died were the price to prevent millions more deaths, American and Japanese. No other weapon had had that effect on the nation, leaving them the only means available to end the war quickly.

Glad to see that you understand the two nukes.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

“Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”

COP OUT.