Poll

Could You Use Your Personally Owned Weapon To Stop An Attack If You Saw It Happening?

Yes
18 (94.7%)
No
0 (0%)
Only If The Attacker Was A Direct Threat To My Family
1 (5.3%)
I Don't Believe In Owning A Gun
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Could You Do It?  (Read 6569 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Could You Do It?
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:52 am »
I find myself wondering as a new gun owner and one who travels with it in his car when I go out of town...thinking "what if" ...should I find myself in one of the situations like what we've seen lately where armed civilians come to the aid of LEO's under attack by thugs.

I'm pretty sure I'll do the right thing... but you have to admit it's a hell of a thing to make that decision and turn your gun from merely a deterrent into an offensive weapon sending rounds purposely towards someone...especially when its not in a combat zone.

What say you?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:49:07 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Could You Do It?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:54:45 am »
I say I would hope I could do the right thing in that situation.  It helps some that my brother is a cop.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:03:47 am »
You will never know until you find yourself in that situation -

- however, as with martial arts training - if you have rehearsed and practiced various scenarios in your mind, your physical skills will follow and you can and will deal with a threat without freezing or going to pieces.

I mean, you did fire drills as a kid in school, right?

Train the mind along with the body - and you will handle whatever situation you find yourself in.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:03 am »
You will never know until you find yourself in that situation -

Very true and I remember thinking that before my first trip to Somalia.

- however, as with martial arts training - if you have rehearsed and practiced various scenarios in your mind, your physical skills will follow and you can and will deal with a threat without freezing or going to pieces.

I mean, you did fire drills as a kid in school, right?

Train the mind along with the body - and you will handle whatever situation you find yourself in.

Great analogy @INVAR   

I mean I've drawn down on people in combat zones before without giving it a second thought. Like you said mind and body are trained etc.

I guess I need to learn to keep the same mentality here at home now that the Islamic threat has been brought to our front doors.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:59 am »
Without telling you how I know...I could do it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:12:42 am »
Without telling you how I know...I could do it.

Say no more.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:04 am »
I find myself wondering as a new gun owner and one who travels with it in his car when I go out of town...thinking "what if" ...should I find myself in one of the situations like what we've seen lately where armed civilians come to the aid of LEO's under attack by thugs.

I'm pretty sure I'll do the right thing... but you have to admit it's a hell of a thing to make that decision and turn your gun from merely a deterrent into an offensive weapon sending rounds purposely towards someone...especially when its not in a combat zone.

What say you?

This is a local story to me.  I'd have stopped and shot the bastard (I have a "car gun").  And I'd have stayed with the Trooper until help arrived.  Almost everybody in AZ carries in the car, except for liberals.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 01:16:14 am »

What say you?

I would say that if you are thinking those thoughts  you ptobably aren't  ready.   No offense intended at all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:16:37 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 01:18:32 am »
Each situation is different. One time you could be Audie Murphy and the next time Casper Clayfoot.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 01:19:55 am »
I guess I need to learn to keep the same mentality here at home now that the Islamic threat has been brought to our front doors.

And our back doors too.

In our neck of the woods, it's the Somalis that were brought in under cover of darkness to take over working a chicken plant almost overnight.

Now they demand a mosque on main street.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:02 am »
Each situation is different. One time you could be Audie Murphy and the next time Casper Clayfoot.

Truer words than those have never been spoken.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:14 am »
I would say that if you are thinking those thoughts  you ptobably aren't  ready.   No offense intended at all.

None taken. I kinda had the same talk with myself before my first deployment in 1993.

I made the right decisions then and on every deployment since.

I think I was kinda curious as well to see if others had run the same conversation through their heads as well.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 01:21:09 am »

On this we agree.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:45 am »
Yes and I have.......twice.

Both times the sight of the gun and me clicking the safety off ended the situation real fast.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:47 am »
And our back doors too.

In our neck of the woods, it's the Somalis that were brought in under cover of darkness to take over working a chicken plant almost overnight.

Now they demand a mosque on main street.

They really are like a virus.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 01:24:27 am »
None taken. I kinda had the same talk with myself before my first deployment in 1993.

I made the right decisions then and on every deployment since.

I think I was kinda curious as well to see if others had run the same conversation through their heads as well.

Everyone has doubts in private moments.   What I meant was that it is possible you have not trained enough but I  certainly don't know that.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 01:24:36 am »
Yes and I have.......twice.

Both times the sight of the gun and me clicking the safety off ended the situation real fast.

I'd say that's the best possible ending to a scenario like the one you were in.

Out if curiosity what do you carry?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:25:03 am by txradioguy »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 01:25:53 am »
Everyone has doubts in private moments.   What I meant was that it is possible you have not trained enough but I  certainly don't know that.

I'm always training.  :beer:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 01:29:12 am »
I'm always training.  :beer:
That's  good!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 01:36:35 am »
I hope and believe I could. It's something I think about often, which is why I carry the weapon whenever possible (not into the courthouse, of course, but just about everywhere else).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 01:42:28 am »
That's  good!  :beer:

I've come to the conclusion with some dry fire training I've done at the house that I need to modify my sights...I've got the standard GI sights on my 1911 and they are not good for reflexive or quick acquisition of a target.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 01:43:20 am »
All I'm going to say further on this, and it is to everyone in general not anyone specifically,  is that if the situation ever arrises for you there will not be time for philosophical conversations with yourself.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 01:44:01 am »
I hope and believe I could. It's something I think about often, which is why I carry the weapon whenever possible (not into the courthouse, of course, but just about everywhere else).

I plan on doing that once I get my Kentucky CCL.

I'm also hoping that the DoD changes the policy about letting us carry on post.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 01:44:59 am »
All I'm going to say further on this, and it is to everyone in general not anyone specifically,  is that if the situation ever arrises for you there will not be time for philosophical conversations with yourself.

Agreed.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 01:45:36 am »
I've come to the conclusion with some dry fire training I've done at the house that I need to modify my sights...I've got the standard GI sights on my 1911 and they are not good for reflexive or quick acquisition of a target.

What do you think about lasers?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: