Author Topic: China fights masculinity 'crisis' with new textbook for boys  (Read 588 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
China fights masculinity 'crisis' with new textbook for boys
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:39:01 pm »
China fights masculinity 'crisis' with new textbook for boys

China is apparently concerned that its boys are becoming too effeminate. The country's solution: a masculinity-promoting school textbook called Little Men, aimed for use in grades 4 and 5.

The illustrated book talks about fathers and sons, and it encourages boys to stress their masculine side, with money management and other ostensibly guy-geared topics thrown in.

NBC News reports the concern is widespread and that citizens blame the "gender crisis" on everything from too much homework (and too little physical activity), to to being spoiled rotten by parents allowed just one child. "Girls are becoming more like boys while the boys are becoming more like girls, introvert[ed] and shy," one parent complains.

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/16/china-fights-masculinity-crisis-with-new-textbook-for-boys.html

Offline kidd

Re: China fights masculinity 'crisis' with new textbook for boys
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:34:13 pm »
I was in China for three trips of one-month each in 2016, as a chemistry advisor at a couple of their nuclear power sites.

Because nuclear fuel was present, China requires a military presence at their sites.
My impression is that their soldiers were very scrawny...their heights  probably averaged 5'9" (my height), and weight averaged maybe 140 lbs (less than my weight). And everyone, I mean everyone, has a bad complexion.

Once...I was walking between buildings, looking down so I wouldn't trip on the uneven pavement...I accidently walked right in front of a squad that was jogging. I made them all stop...for a second, I felt like the Tiananmen Square guy in front of a line of tanks. :tongue2:

I am under the belief that the men are all scrawny because of the terrible air and water pollution. Most food cannot be eaten raw because it is loaded with typhoid, and there are no controls on the consumption of heavy metals. I know I came back 20 lbs lighter.

Offline mountaineer

Re: China fights masculinity 'crisis' with new textbook for boys
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:14:51 pm »
Wow, interesting perspective, Kidd. Thanks for that!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org